Quantcast
Aziraphale

Official 20+ Jobs Thread

I would like to know how do you convince your boss to increase your salary and what you experienced. 

Lately, at my part-time job, my coworkers are leaving because they found another place that would pay them higher. 

I know in general people ask for a salary increase because they believe they deserve it. So, I would bring up arguments about my performance and skills. I worked in the past in a company said there is no salary increase because they have financial problems...

Another situation is that when my coworker ask for a salary increase and didn't get it. Now, they want to increase his salary because he is leaving, but it's too late he said he already accepted the other job offer and don't want to go back over his choice. Some people would say tell your boss that you are leaving if you don't get a salary increase. I could say that but what if I don't find another job ... That's why after a refusal, I would look elsewhere and just leave.

Sometimes, asking for a salary increase is also another bunch of reason. Why your coworkers are more paid than you when you can be as good as them or why when you do the double of the work because it is low staffed, you cannot have a salary increase or why should you work here if you can be paid more somewhere else. Some people would not work elsewhere in the fear if they don't get along with the other people. Like, if right now you really like your coworkers, sometimes it is hard to leave. 

Another situation, the boss would suggest that he will accept the salary increase if you work more hours and give you more tasks... I feel this is like a fake salary increase because he gives you more job , so...you should be paid more anyways. In that case, would you accept?

I would like to read your own experience and advice. 

• Like 1

If it was my job, reasons to get an increase is show interest in taking on bigger challenges/ assignments. But if you're colleague left after not getting a pay rise, and then they tried to offer a pay rise- maybe you're in favour of getting a rise? I mean, if there is few left with experience now they should value the ones they have left. 

If you prepare good arguments you can always try, and if the boss still says no to the increase you still have your job. 

I personally asked for a pay rise after I finished my education ( I'm a pay-roll administrator), or I said to my boss that she have to value my education in some way since the "authorities" who give you a pay-roll license value the education as a three-year old experience, and that the average pay on the market for a payroll administrator is 3 300 dollars.
And I know that most of the people that works at the pay-roll office don't have an education.
So I got a 254 dollar raise actually.

So come prepared, look up good arguments to prove that you deserve a raise so that the boss can't say no. Don't just agree if the boss ask you to talk about it right now, you can take your time and come prepared on a different day.

and if you don't agree with your boss you don't have to say yes there on the spot, say you'll reconsider it and come back. That might give your employer some cold sweat:wink:

Good luck

On 2017-12-13 at 1:34 PM, MissAria said:

I would like to know how do you convince your boss to increase your salary and what you experienced. 

Lately, at my part-time job, my coworkers are leaving because they found another place that would pay them higher. 

I know in general people ask for a salary increase because they believe they deserve it. So, I would bring up arguments about my performance and skills. I worked in the past in a company said there is no salary increase because they have financial problems...

Another situation is that when my coworker ask for a salary increase and didn't get it. Now, they want to increase his salary because he is leaving, but it's too late he said he already accepted the other job offer and don't want to go back over his choice. Some people would say tell your boss that you are leaving if you don't get a salary increase. I could say that but what if I don't find another job ... That's why after a refusal, I would look elsewhere and just leave.

Sometimes, asking for a salary increase is also another bunch of reason. Why your coworkers are more paid than you when you can be as good as them or why when you do the double of the work because it is low staffed, you cannot have a salary increase or why should you work here if you can be paid more somewhere else. Some people would not work elsewhere in the fear if they don't get along with the other people. Like, if right now you really like your coworkers, sometimes it is hard to leave. 

Another situation, the boss would suggest that he will accept the salary increase if you work more hours and give you more tasks... I feel this is like a fake salary increase because he gives you more job , so...you should be paid more anyways. In that case, would you accept?

I would like to read your own experience and advice. 

Oh, I noticed now that this was sent on Dec 13th xD How did it go? Are you still left, and did you get a salary increase?

Got pressure a lot from responsibility and skills to achieve. Start from the tools that must be used and maintenanced rightly, till ensure people I work with are safe. Even there is safety officer, it kills me when my undervisor injured. The clash between field people and management.. Now I'm really not ready with those hardworks, lying on this bed, injured again on field with this unconscious mind. Talked to uppers about my condition but we don't have right human resource for.. And if they find another man, it equals to be replaced. Honestly, at time like this I just want to escape and run from it but sadly, I need that to complete my number one responsibility. I'm so tired

• Sad 2

@abnoch I'm so sad to hear your work situation right now. Cheer up though. Have confidence in yourself. You can do it!!! Just remember that this too will pass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kokodus yeah the situation has been started since I entered. I enjoyed it, all the pressure and how challenging the works but haha.. Ngl at this time my soul defeated so do the body follow. I want rest but yeah, crucial moment equally be replaced. My body already in this shaky stage so let's just make it pass, hope they are weighing me.

• Like 1

Right now I'm looking for work and re-thinking which job I really want. I tried to get sales associate positions but after my last interview, I cancelled the other two that I had coming during the same week. I just didn't want to lie to myself and the interviewers saying that I like their products even though I've never shopped there. Now I'm going to do research on businesses like Rifle CO. It's an art print company. I was also inspired by an Asian artist who does cute art. I don't think I should be pursuing jobs that I don't particularly want to do and start a side business. In the past, I had designed pictures of lovebirds for my couple friends and they seem to loved it.

feel free to comment.  i'd love to talk about work and how to overcome obstacles as i've been there and had gotten my dream job 

well, i love my current job a lot - it's actually my dream job.  i feel like i got very lucky because i found my dream job 4 years post college (graduated in may 2013, found this job in march 2017 - studied business administration with an emphasis in data analytics).  it's a startup in the tech and real estate sector, specializing in space utilization (lots to do with data collection and analysis).  i get a lot of flexibility with this job and it's almost like a fantasy job.  i get to set my own rules, own hours, and not have to deal with bureaucracy like in large corporations (hated that life).  my boss is amazing and he cares a lot about his employees' professional growth.  he allows me to explore within the company and encourages me to learn whatever i want to learn.  

i've always known that i wanted to be a project manager in a tech based logistics or supply chain company and this job is close enough to that.  i'm extremely grateful that i found a job within my field of study and got into my dream career.  *happy tears* hard work really does pay off, guys!

**WARNING** read if you want - below is a rant about how terrible life was before getting into a startup (with a happy ending) ... i'm sure many can relate.

i came from large corporations like johnson and johnson and traditional investment firms, so coming to a startup is very different.  it's much more diverse and it's way more chill.  the stress level is higher because you work in a smaller team and have more deadlines, but it's all worth it.  i'd rather have stress relating to actual work than to have stress relating to office politics.  

i definitely do not miss being in a large corporation. i actually hated everything about large corporations.  there are just too many unwanted office politics and people are just petty.  everyone was always trying to chase after that corner office dream, so they end up sabotaging each other.  even if you're not fighting for that corner office, you still get sabotaged because people assume you're trying to step up.  it's ridiculous how petty people get. when working at a mortgage compliance company 1 year after college, i somehow got caught up in unwanted office politics.  my supervisor at the time started off very nice.  i learned everything quickly and received praise.  i initially thought that my praise would eventually give her praise because it shows that she has great leadership skills.  little did i know that she actually got jealous of the praise and ended up sabotaging me.  she ended up teaching me without structure, threw random tasks at me without much training.  she literally taught me like this: step 1, step 3, step 10, step 2, step 11, step 20, ... etc unorganized steps.  it was very difficult to learn more in the company because she didn't allow me to do better.  after a while, she ended up isolating me from the team and i later found out that she was actually talking crap behind my back to other teammates.  it all happened out of nowhere.  she eventually gave me a terrible year end review and made me feel extremely left out in any type of event.  i ended up quitting, but she didn't stop there.  the day i turned in my resignation letter, she made me switch my last day to the day i handed the letter in and told me that i was doing a terrible job and i need to leave asap.  i kept my cool, even though she was acting and speaking unprofessionally.  she made me leave in the most embarrassing way.  when i was collecting my items to leave, she followed me around the office and told me to hurry up and leave.  i asked why she was following me and she told me it was protocol.  i ignored her and once i got home, i emailed the CEO of the company with the chain of events that took place.  i ended up getting a severance package out of this and the CEO apologized on the supervisor's behalf.   very embarrassing for her.   however, i do believe that this terrible incident was indeed a blessing in disguise because i was able to use this experience as a learning experience and turned it into something beautiful.  i went back to school for project management and got a role as a project manager at the current startup i'm working at.  now, i'm happily earning experience as a project manager to get certified as a PMP.  life is beautiful.  :) 

startup life is the best life.  never going back to large corps. 

On 03.04.2018 at 10:25 PM, 123 said:

feel free to comment.  i'd love to talk about work and how to overcome obstacles as i've been there and had gotten my dream job 

well, i love my current job a lot - it's actually my dream job.  i feel like i got very lucky because i found my dream job 4 years post college (graduated in may 2013, found this job in march 2017 - studied business administration with an emphasis in data analytics).  it's a startup in the tech and real estate sector, specializing in space utilization (lots to do with data collection and analysis).  i get a lot of flexibility with this job and it's almost like a fantasy job.  i get to set my own rules, own hours, and not have to deal with bureaucracy like in large corporations (hated that life).  my boss is amazing and he cares a lot about his employees' professional growth.  he allows me to explore within the company and encourages me to learn whatever i want to learn.

That sounds really cool! :) I can understand your feelings very well because during this year I finally started together with one of my friends our separate cosmetics company and now I'm enjoying with my work very much, it's really better for me than working for someone in other company. On the other hand I can say that starting a business isn't really for everybody, you should really want to have an independent entity and work hard and long for making it really successful. In my opinion, defining your goals and making a good business plan are the first important things in this case, then creating a good and well-organized work team, also developing a network for your partners and clients. Using various tech innovations and putting much energy/money in inventory https://marketplace.magento.com/amasty-module-multi-warehouse-inventory.html and project management are other keys to success too. Also advertising, investing too less money in it is a great mistake in case of many startups https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/232240   .
And from our experience I can say that you should be careful with your budget for at least several first years too, too great costs in the beginning aren't so necessary in fact and besides they rather often cause collapsing of many new companies. That's why for example we made a rather cheap and simple website for our company, we're planning to upgrade it later after starting to get more profit.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, motifsky said:

That sounds really cool! :) I can understand your feelings very well because during this year I finally started together with one of my friends our separate cosmetics company and now I'm enjoying with my work very much, it's really better for me than working for someone in other company. On the other hand I can say that starting a business isn't really for everybody, you should really want to have an independent entity and work hard and long for making it really successful. In my opinion, defining your goals and making a good business plan are the first important things in this case, then creating a good and well-organized work team, also developing a network for your partners and clients. Using various tech innovations and putting much energy/money in inventory https://marketplace.magento.com/amasty-module-multi-warehouse-inventory.html and project management are other keys to success too. Also advertising, investing too less money in it is a great mistake in case of many startups https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/232240   .
And from our experience I can say that you should be careful with your budget for at least several first years too, too great costs in the beginning aren't so necessary in fact and besides they rather often cause collapsing of many new companies. That's why for example we made a rather cheap and simple website for our company, we're planning to upgrade it later after starting to get more profit.

Thanks for replying to my post!  It's almost like you can read my mind because one of my goals is to start a company one day and perhaps expand it.  It would be a very risky investment, but I'd still like to fulfill that goal.  Would you mind telling me more about how you started your company?  I'm interested in learning about the obstacles, successes, and unexpected events that had occurred throughout your journey in starting a new business.  Please feel free to PM me!!  

• Like 1

I just got a job offer in Korea, but I cant afford the travel expenses. I made a gofundme. Would it be okay to post a thread for it? Or would i get in trouble...I'm currently working two jobs right now to pay for everything but I'm still a little short which is why I made the GFM. I don't really have high hopes it will result in much but I'm at my wits end. 

Posted (edited)

Ahaha I suffered through 4 years of biology and biochem to not be able to find a job in my field. My debt isn't that bad but man... I do not want to go out and get a master's degree when not even that will help me in my job search. Everywhere I applied keeps giving me two answers: "Wow cool! We would totally hire you if you had interned for 2 years somewhere else before! But haha bye." or "Intern with us for one-two years, 40 hours a week+ and then maybe we'll offer you a job."
like o__o;;; I worked all through college so I could GO TO COLLEGE, I was already working 40-50 hours a week to make ends meet and I sure can't just... Not be paid for a year to MAYBE get a job. 

I'm probably going to be stuck being a barista or working other manual jobs till I can pay off my debt lmao. At least being a barista is fun, but if my bf ever leaves me (which I mean we plan on getting married so it probs won't happen but still) let's just say I wouldn't be able to support myself which doesn't feel great. I feel like I'm mooching off of him which sucks but he's ok with it, especially since even with all this nonsense going on I also have a bunch of health issues that make it really really hard to work such an active job so I can't work more than 25 hours. Like whyyyyyyy I'm 22 I shouldn't have weird new chronic illnesses just sneaking up on me. I worked 30-40 hours a week for the holidays and my immune system is so busted that I ended up with the flu which turned into pneumonia.

I mean lmao on the bright side at least I really like my current job. Not exactly where I pictured myself though, considering I specialized in animal husbandry and breeding of marine invertebrates but w/e. Also I'm leaning more and more towards the idea of being a stay at home mom when I finally start a family, which my bf is 100% down for it just means we have to plan a bit more than we already expected. And tbh it might be one of my only options since apparently my health is just going to get worse from here. I won't die or anything but I can't even imagine the chronic pain getting worse than it already is.

/end novel

edit: oof I didn't realize how dead this thread was. Oh well, I needed to get that off my chest lmao.

Edited by fattychan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am a translator. At the beginning I used to translate literature, but it didn't work financially speaking. So I took courses till I had a professional certificate in legal translation. Although I liked the field, I always suffer from pressure and anxiety because of deadlines and so on. For some time I used to translate articles about the history of Classical Music, which is my passion. But the magazines I worked for no longer accept this field. Now I feel unhappy.

• Like 1

I am studying in accounting for a career change. I'm at my last year of the  accounting bachelor degree. I just got a internship that is not paid but it will be if they like me and hire me after. 

Accounting jobs are competitive. From what I heard, they will look at your grades and your job experiences when you freshly graduated.  I'm going to graduate soon so I really wanted to get internship. I'm going to be really busy studying full time, do my internship  (unpaid) + work part-time (because it is paid) . 

I also heard that the big 4 accounting firm makes you work like crazy when you are an intern and want to get your CPA title.  

• Like 1

Let's say you have a full-time job , but you are looking for another job. 

The other job ask for professional references and you have a interview but it is only during working days...  What will you do ?

So, I have to call in sick (unpaid because I don't have any social benefits in this job) to attend the interview and I cannot give my current employer as reference because I don't want them to know that I want to leave the job... I'm afraid to let them know that I hate the job but I stay only because I haven't found another one.