[2007 Movie] 不能說的秘密 Secret

Guest kkandy4mee

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this anywhere else, it's for my school magazine.

This is the unedited version - I'm probably going to go watch this movie again.

The Sentimental Debut

Secret by Jay Chou

Many skeptics of multitalented Jay Chou call Secret a promotional conspiracy created to poignantly portray his childhood on film. Thus acclaimed movie critics have labeled this film a vanity project for our Taiwanese singer. It has been proven throughout the entertainment business that singers cannot necessarily act and actors cannot always sing – so since when did directing fit into this sequence? As a fan that has followed Jay Chou from composition to script, I've come to admit that the name Jay Chou sells better than the product endorsed. Perhaps this is why I entered the theatre expecting, honestly, fan service – and instead, received a beautiful story enough to have me shaking for support.

Fans of Jay Chou will admit that from his previous movies acting is not a talent our composing genius carries; however, the cast of Secret is so brilliantly chosen that it even brings Jay Chou to vivacious life. And for this alone, I must praise our female lead, Guey Lun-mei because she highlighted Jay’s performance, allowing me to see that this singer can indeed act. Some may say that he hardly needs to even pretend for this role, but when you see that smile on the stoic face of Jay Chou, you’ll understand how genuine emotions can be. Although the lines were not full of depth, and the relationship growth was a little shallow, the acting and loveable characters substitutes for the irregularly paced dialogue as the awkward lines contribute to the enigmatic development of the characters and plot.

There is a beautiful, almost virgin aspect in this film. An innocent tale of high school love with undertones of a secret that cannot be told, this movie will make you laugh, reminisce and tug at your heartstrings. Fantastical, musical, and absolutely creative Jay Chou has proven that not only does his name sell, but brings quality as well. Let me remind you (girls) to cry when you can, less you leave the theatre as I did, shaking from the bittersweet scenes and the forever pounding of a heart’s rapid beat. A plot that drove me from one world to another, I will be surprised if Jay Chou tops this debut with another movie.

Secret is an astonishingly amazing debut, and the trailers do not do this film any justice. Jay Chou has masterfully created a secret not only for you to enjoy, but also for you to tuck away and uncover many years later. A friend of mine cried, “Epic!” at the end of the movie, and as a fan, I agree but as a reviewer, I can only smile. I believe the right word for this movie is “classic,” for after many years I can see myself retrieving this movie, shaking off the dust, to relive this secret. This is a movie to watch in theatres but remember after you leave to keep your lips sealed. And if you do…this secret just may last long enough to convince skeptical friends of the movie’s brilliance.

Rating: 4/5

- Christal

---

In Tony An's words of Melody - "Pretty Damn Good"

What I neglected to mention was that the soundtrack was amazing (I'll add that later) - Jay Chou definitely has the best of all worlds in the aspect of entertainment. Coming from a man whom his own mother believed that he was slightly retarded, this movie is (again) "really damn good, pretty damn good." I must say, Guey Lun-Mei is amazing, and I believe this movie will only make her own of the best actresses in China. She really brought the cast to life, especially Jay Chou who seemed to actually love what he was doing. Now I must admit, this man knows how to make you cry. The background music (all Jay Chou composed by the way) was perfect. There's a scene where Jay Chou plays a sad song, and you want to cry, and Anthony Wong pops in and says exactly what you're feeling. "Stop playing the song, I want to cry already." Let's just say, this movie didn't cut short on anything. Although I admit it felt draggy in some places, it was necessary because the audience needed to digest the "secret."

With Transformers, Ratatouille, Secret definitely is the cherry ontop of this wonderful movie-filled summer.

(Dude, I watched with two guys, and they loved it - )

Jay Chou has proved that he can direct.

Acting? I don't know - it's still debateable,

but I believe Guey Lun-Mei taught Jay a few things.

Guest dionne_wu

I heard even difficult reviewers had good things to say about this directorial debut.

I think if Secret is well received, it will yet be another breakthrough for Jay - a creative genius indeed.

Guest viet13aby90

Thanks Christal for that very detailed review.

I want to buy this on DVD alreadyyyyy. >.<

Does anyone know when it'll be available on DVD?

Yvonne

i juz watched the movie tonite with my mum. LOL

did anyone else think Jay Chou died in the end too and they kinda reunited in another world??

it seems like i'm the only one thought so.

i juz watched the movie tonite with my mum. LOLdid anyone else think Jay Chou died in the end too and they kinda reunited in another world??it seems like i'm the only one thought so.
No, cause they have the

photograph at the end to prove it.

i think its funny that he plays the main character of the movie he is directing
Yeah, but somehow, it just adds to the feel. =]
Thanks Christal for that very detailed review.I want to buy this on DVD alreadyyyyy. >.<Does anyone know when it'll be available on DVD? Yvonne
Ah, end of August.

Guest Starylosophy

I just watched it today, I didn't find it very exceptional, but it was good for a first timer. Needless to say, the pieces and music used was really good.

The twist suprised me, but there are loopholes.

Like how did Rain go back to the 1970s?

The dialogue was pretty weak, well this is perhaps because Jay himself doesn't really expresses himself well which results in the weak dialogue. The cinematography is beautiful! I love the set, the old piano, the interior decor of the houses.

And he finally did a better kiss this time round!

Hmm no one commented on the uniforms? I totally love them! It's so pretty! How I wish my country has such designs of school uniforms (but we will be perspiring every minute haha!). My cousin who watched with me didn't like the computer effects at the end (where everything was crumbling down) does anyone feel the same?

No, cause they have the

photograph at the end to prove it.

Yeah, but somehow, it just adds to the feel. =]Ah, end of August.

i thought of this too... but in this case the

dad's part won't make any sense already. he's been the teacher of the sch since the 70s then he should have realised sth. it's like... he's his son.

play the piece of music in faster tempo.

it's writen in the score and in a flashback scene.

She says it in the movie. "This is how fast I play to go home." And the writing in the composition says so as well. "Return lies within hasty keys."

The dialogue was pretty weak, well this is perhaps because Jay himself doesn't really expresses himself well which results in the weak dialogue.

I must say that it wasn't Jay's fault. He didn't write the script - he created the story. I didn't really expect anything profound either - even my friend agreed - the script was very "high school" (we're less "mature" in local Chinese high schools). However, I must agree that the uniforms ROCKED! I heard in Taiwan, fans went to the screening dressed in uniforms as tribute.

As for the special effects - I'm not too bugged with that because China isn't know for their amazing graphics. In short, HK/China/Taiwan - we're really bad with special effects. And if you sat through the credits, you'll notice that the amount of people on the "graphics" section is about half the size of the people who were listed under "carpentry." It's quite obvious that Jay is more interest in antique. Hahaha.

i thought of this too... but in this case the

dad's part won't make any sense already. he's been the teacher of the sch since the 70s then he should have realised sth. it's like... he's his son.

Actually, his son wasn't born until a year after Rain graduated.

1999 - his son graduates, he's 18 years old. (Remember, the football player says that his captain is the oldest - assuming schoolwise as well.)

1979 - Rain graduates, Jay isn't born yet. Thus, Jay graduates with Rain, and perhaps Jay's dad names his son after Jay.

Pst, I don't know if you guys know. But Jay actually specifically said in interviews that if you watch the movie, please don't tell the secret.

Guest renfu_4lways

mannnn....i really want to watch the movie :tears: does anyone know where i can dl it? BT or CB.. anything.. and i dont need subs

Guest sotonglingx

the movie is awesome.. went for the gala in sg tt time.. got free tixx.. hehe.. from 933 but i only see his back at ctathay!! well.. the movie is great.. at least more than what i expected... a twisting storyline.. and yeah, i got free poster and a notebk of the movie.. too bad it doesnt have the signature.. *sadd* guys who have the chance to watch it.. grab the chance.. im not a great fab of jay.. but it is e great movie.. even my sis who doesnt listen or watch chinese movie commented it good.. =)

Pictures I took at the red carpet event in Singapore
wow!! u must be the ones that are standing really in front.. when i got there after work its so crowded! the movie is great... free tix of cuz.. nicee....

Guest renfu_4lways

^ wahhhhhhh i wanna go back n c zhoudong too :tears: lmao its been ages since i saw those 933 djs too hahaha..

aish i think the chinatown cinema in aust is not even going to show it until couple of weeks time (or mayb even months) <_< dang~~

Guest Starylosophy

I wasn't exactly very near to the stage actually, around 5 steps to the front of the right side barricades. And I only reached there after work.

Perhaps I should thank my Sony T10 camera!! :lol:

I took this from JCNet: (Regarding the loopholes)

Why isn’t Xiao Yu dead when Xiao Lun went back?

Xiao Lun played the piano faster than Xiao Yu (because the building is currently being demolished) therefore, the period of time/ generation of which Jay arrived at is earlier, even earlier than when Xiao Yu found the “SECRET” score. This explains why Xiao Yu’s expression at the ending appears as if she did not recognize Xiao Lun.

Why didn’t Xiao Yu’s mother say Xiao Yu is dead?

Xiao Yu’s mother experienced a great trauma, sometimes her replies are based on her old memories, therefore sometimes her replies are weird, like how she said Xiao Yu is listening to music upstairs when Xiao Yu already died long ago.

Actually Xiao Yu died twenty years ago, but because Xiao Lun saw Xiao Yu before she died (when Xiao Lun went back), he changed Xiao Yu’s fate. This means, Xiao Yu did not recognize Xiao Lun anymore, whether their relationship continued/ how they progressed is left to the audience to imagine.

Why was Qing Yi able to see Xiao Yu at the piano competition?

Remember the flash back? Xiao Yu said that despite counting 108 steps, it wasn’t always successful, and she saw Qing Yi instead of Xiao Lun at a point. Yep. As for why Da Yong could see Xiao Yu, it is also the same reason. The first person Xiao Yu saw when she opened her eyes was Da Yong (yaknow the part where xiao yu cried cos she saw qy kissing xiao lun). The funny part here is when xiao yu hid herself… But I guess it’s a normal reaction.

Thanks to ziai from JCNet

Guest jamba bamba

I want to see this movie sooooooooooo bad!!!!

But until then, can anyone spoil for me what the big "secret" is?

Guest sotonglingx

I wasn't exactly very near to the stage actually, around 5 steps to the front of the right side barricades. And I only reached there after work.

Perhaps I should thank my Sony T10 camera!! :lol:

I took this from JCNet: (Regarding the loopholes)

Why isn’t Xiao Yu dead when Xiao Lun went back?

Xiao Lun played the piano faster than Xiao Yu (because the building is currently being demolished) therefore, the period of time/ generation of which Jay arrived at is earlier, even earlier than when Xiao Yu found the “SECRET” score. This explains why Xiao Yu’s expression at the ending appears as if she did not recognize Xiao Lun.

Why didn’t Xiao Yu’s mother say Xiao Yu is dead?

Xiao Yu’s mother experienced a great trauma, sometimes her replies are based on her old memories, therefore sometimes her replies are weird, like how she said Xiao Yu is listening to music upstairs when Xiao Yu already died long ago.

Actually Xiao Yu died twenty years ago, but because Xiao Lun saw Xiao Yu before she died (when Xiao Lun went back), he changed Xiao Yu’s fate. This means, Xiao Yu did not recognize Xiao Lun anymore, whether their relationship continued/ how they progressed is left to the audience to imagine.

Why was Qing Yi able to see Xiao Yu at the piano competition?

Remember the flash back? Xiao Yu said that despite counting 108 steps, it wasn’t always successful, and she saw Qing Yi instead of Xiao Lun at a point. Yep. As for why Da Yong could see Xiao Yu, it is also the same reason. The first person Xiao Yu saw when she opened her eyes was Da Yong (yaknow the part where xiao yu cried cos she saw qy kissing xiao lun). The funny part here is when xiao yu hid herself… But I guess it’s a normal reaction.

Thanks to ziai from JCNet

i guess at least better than me.. when i was there its already 7pm.. haha! goona chase to tke tix first.. after having my dinner.. jay is still not there..

Guest jasminewiz

Cool movie .... I like the piano-playing competition! The cinematography here is good too with some kind of so-called 'Jay-style' in it? If given a chance to re-watch a part, it has to be that part!

When I started to watch it, it did not take me too long to think 'Oh Boy ... it's that theme again and it looks like it's not going to be that fantastic afterall ...' But, as the story progresses, the twist was good with the secret! And, I'm happy with the ending though! Good one but slow in front and not very promising but watch on and .... it's a secret!

Enjoy!! Worth-watching ... but don't expect too much from the weak dialogue and it's not magical.... it's just secret!

Actually, his son wasn't born until a year after Rain graduated.

1999 - his son graduates, he's 18 years old. (Remember, the football player says that his captain is the oldest - assuming schoolwise as well.)

1979 - Rain graduates, Jay isn't born yet. Thus, Jay graduates with Rain, and perhaps Jay's dad names his son after Jay.

this makes sense now. though the dad part still confuses me slightly like

'so is he still gonna have a son a yr later?'

but they can be ignored coz movies like this aren't meant to be stripped down to trivial stuffs.

it's quite an entertaining movie that does what it's supposed to do.

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

hahza i'm gonna watch it today (:

shall come back and then comment abt it later.

i think there are reviews put up by singaporeans in one of those yahoo movie webs?

4/5 stars!

hhaha my friend said it's a nice movie and worth her money and she wld watch it again! haha

i can't wait :D

Guest tengteng

I watch it on 8th aUgust!!!

It's so nice, and it had me crying abit at the end.

But I thought Jay look really funny dancing ...lol

Archived