Q.15 

In the making the RDTK video, you said that you once takes the mike, would never give it up when you go to karaoke. 

What's your absolute favorite song to sing at karaoke?

Answer :

- Kim Yoon A - '담(Dam, Wall)'

- Lee So Ra - '사랑이야(Love it is)'

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Pointree said:

Q.27

What books have you read recently? And what book would you recommend to your fans?

A:

I was deeply impressed reading this book: When Breath Becomes Air(by Paul Kalanithi)

Thank u very much for translating @anggun11 and @Pointree...

After reading this book synopis, i think this is an inspiring and heartwarming book... it's so Seo Hyun Jin type.. 

• Like 7

about the book When Breath Becomes Air

Review: In ‘When Breath Becomes Air,’ Dr. Paul Kalanithi Confronts an Early Death

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/books/review-in-when-breath-becomes-air-dr-paul-kalanithi-confronts-an-early-death.html?_r=0

Spoiler

Advertisement

BOOKS

Review: In ‘When Breath Becomes Air,’ Dr. Paul Kalanithi Confronts an Early Death

Photo
07BOOKKalanithi1-blog427.jpg
Dr. Paul Kalanithi CreditNorbert von der Groeben

When Dr. Paul Kalanithi sent his best friend an email in May 2013 revealing that he had terminal cancer, he wrote: “The good news is that I’ve already outlived two Brontës, Keats and Stephen Crane. The bad news is that I haven’t written anything.” It was a jokey way of dealing with the unthinkable but also an indication of Dr. Kalanithi’s tremendous ambition. He had led a fascinating life and was not about to leave it unchronicled.

The bittersweet news is that in the 22 months left to him, Dr. Kalanithi, who died at 37, went on to write a great, indelible book, “When Breath Becomes Air,” that is as intimate and illuminating as Atul Gawande’s “Being Mortal,” to cite only one recent example of a doctor’s book that has had exceptionally wide appeal. To paraphrase Abraham Verghese’s introduction, to read this book is to feel that Dr. Kalanithi still lives, with enormous power to influence the lives of others even though he is gone.

Dr. Verghese suggests not only reading “When Breath Becomes Air” but also listening to the overwhelming response it prompts in you. I guarantee that finishing this book and then forgetting about it is simply not an option. There is so much here that lingers, and not just about matters of life and death: One of the most poignant things about Dr. Kalanithi’s story is that he had postponed learning how to live while pursuing his career in neurosurgery. By the time he was ready to enjoy a life outside the operating room, what he needed to learn was how to die.

Dr. Kalanithi’s abiding and eclectic interest in serious literature serves him well throughout “When Breath Becomes Air.” Its hauntingly beautiful title is a paraphrase from the poem “Caelica 83,” part of a 17th-century sonnet series by Fulke Greville. It’s obscure but could not be more apt. Thomas Browne’s “Religio Medici” was the book he loved most.

He wrote his own book with great determination but also great difficulty, to the point of wearing silver-lined gloves to use the trackpad when his fingertips began to crack during chemotherapy. (In the epilogue and afterword, by his wife, Lucy Kalanithi, also a doctor, she says that the manuscript had to be completed posthumously.) But the difficulty doesn’t show: Dr. Kalanithi knows how to make a paragraph fly. And the book opens with a beauty, quoted here to show its swift economy and precision:

“I flipped through the CT scan images, the diagnosis obvious: the lungs were matted with innumerable tumors, the spine deformed, a full lobe of the liver obliterated. Cancer, widely disseminated. I was a neurosurgical resident entering my final year of training. Over the last six years, I’d examined scores of such scans, on the off chance that some procedure might benefit the patient. But this scan was different: it was my own.”

Photo
07BOOKKalanithi2-master180.jpg
CreditSonny Figueroa/The New York Times

With those facts established, he is free to flash back through the lifetime of experiences that got him to this point: an unusual love-hate relationship with medicine as the thing that kept his father, a cardiologist, away from home at night but also struck him as a calling rather than a profession. Once his family moved from Westchester, N.Y., to Arizona, he and his brothers became essentially home-schooled by a strict mother who had no idea what truly excited Paul, the neurosurgeon in waiting. She worried about her sons and drugs, “never suspecting that the most intoxicating thing I’d experienced, by far, was the volume of romantic poetry she’d handed me the previous week.”

With the seeker’s restlessness that seems not to have left him until his last breath, he went on to accrue two B.A.s and an M.A. in literature at Stanford, then a Master of Philosophy at Cambridge, before graduating cum laude from the Yale School of Medicine. He returned to Stanford for a residency in neurological surgery and a postdoctoral fellowship in neuroscience. His training was almost complete when the bad diagnosis hit.

In the first half of the book, Dr. Kalanithi provides a good set of anecdotes about how he goes from medical resident to seasoned doctor: first cadaver (formaldehyde stimulated his appetite), first births and deaths on the same day (which made him mindful of “Waiting for Godot,” with its line about “birth astride of a grave”). From the start, workaholic though he is, he understands patients’ needs better than most young doctors do.

And then everything changes. In a single moment of recognition, everything Dr. Kalanithi has imagined for himself and his wife evaporates, and a new future has to be imagined. Should they have a child, or would that make it harder for him to die? (They do. The book is dedicated to their daughter, Cady.) A job at Stanford for which he was the prime candidate? Not happening. Another good job that would require the Kalanithis to move to Wisconsin? Too far from his oncologist. Long-term plans of any kind? Well, what does long-term mean now? Does he have a day, a month, a year, six years, what? He’s heard the advice about living one day at a time, but what’s he supposed to do with that day when he doesn’t know how many others remain?

“When Breath Becomes Air” is gripping from the start. But it becomes even more so as Dr. Kalanithi tries to reinvent himself in various ways with no idea what will happen. He can’t gauge how much strength his body still has until he tests it, and sometimes the consequences are horrific. He no longer knows who he is or what he wants. His whole sense of identity is shaken. And for a terrible period when his oncologist is away, he is treated as a problem and not a patient by an inept medical resident who nearly hastens his death by denying him one of the drugs he desperately needs.

Part of this book’s tremendous impact comes from the obvious fact that its author was such a brilliant polymath. And part comes from the way he conveys what happened to him — passionately working and striving, deferring gratification, waiting to live, learning to die — so well. None of it is maudlin. Nothing is exaggerated. As he wrote to a friend: “It’s just tragic enough and just imaginable enough.” And just important enough to be unmissable.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ngoc Hoang said:

Jump Ent updated. Was She in her house in those photes? Really want to see her in another project or show :'(

She donated 2.270.000 won to  help supporting  healthy growth and happy life of single mothers' families on her birthday.How sweet:heart:

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, jenn96 said:

She donated 2.270.000 won to  help supporting  healthy growth and happy life of single mothers' families on her birthday.How sweet:heart:

This is the project done by SeohyunjinDC to celebrate Hyunjin unnie birthday. 

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=seohyunjin&no=46083&page=24

Those are three meaningful charity projects by fans and Jump updated with caption: Thanks for the donation. 

• Like 9

Q.5 

What are your fans to you, Seo Hyunjin?

Answer:

When I'm so tired or depressed, I read letters from my fans and these make me realize there is someone who supports me unconditionally. then I got a feeling that my faint heart is a little stronger. I'm truly grateful.

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, mimi9899 said:

This is the project done by SeohyunjinDC to celebrate Hyunjin unnie birthday. 

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=seohyunjin&no=46083&page=24

Those are three meaningful charity projects by fans and Jump updated with caption: Thanks for the donation. 

:bawling: so sweet and meaningful...

Wherever she is, there is love... 

Let's spread the love...:wub:

• Like 6

16 hours ago, supergal99 said:

Gosh...at least u guys can read some parts...ah..me only can read the numbers...:blink: 

The reaction after heard it:

ZWAUvSt2OWuS0XlKK4cLU9sZP99Zx3bMmosW1HhR

*joking...:D:Dthat comment is so funny, i just can't let it.

i even only knew the first word-_-

• Like 5

@supergal99 lemme join you haha..yes I can read the numbers too! it was difficult to make out the korean characters from the image, I'm at the stage where I have to segregate them one by one, it will probably take me forever hahaha ~and again your gifs are so appropriate! I love HJ in that harry-potter like glasses :D

@Pointree thanks so much for your translations! aww the answer to Q5 makes me feel so warm and fuzzy! I'm glad fan's support is able to give her some encouragement when she needed it! So its important that we keep supporting her! and oh wow you even source out the videos of the songs and books, we are so blessed that you share so much here with us!

@jenn96 that is really such a coincidence! haha bet you'll be even more excited to read it now!

I've just started watching one making disk from the AOHY dir cut, all i can say is WOW at her professionalism, the few seconds/minutes we see on screen, how much effort she has to put in you totally have no idea(for that I salute all the actors/actresses). I can see her dedication and love towards acting, her acting skills there's no need to say more, and her friendly interactions with everyone, yes everyone, she's just such a sweet person really. Although there was no subtitles but I really love the BTS/making where you can see how HJ behaves when she is off camera or not acting :wub:

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Pointree said:

What are your fans to you, Seo Hyunjin?

When I'm so tired or depressed, I read letters from my fans and these make me realize there is someone who supports me unconditionally. then I got a feeling that my faint heart is a little stronger. I'm truly grateful.

Oh... maybe she is reading our fan letter now, she even decided to answer the questionnaire...

it's so touching...^_^

• Like 4

6 hours ago, samaf said:

they this drama was filmed in 2006 but aired in 2008  @Pointree

Unfortunately, This movie had made her so many haters, react on her kiss scene with a TVX*’s member. She was force to close her mini-hompy because of bad comments against her - 'a girl who dared to kiss our oppa'. The movie was just a video made for TVX*'s fans -  base of teenage girls but S.M. put a kiss scene... What’s the big idea?

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Pointree said:

Unfortunately, This movie had made her so many haters, react on her kiss scene with a TVX*’s member. She was force to close her mini-hompy because of bad comments against her - 'a girl who dared to kiss our oppa'. The movie was just a video made for TVX*'s fans -  base of teenage girls but S.M. put a kiss scene... What’s the big idea?

so ,hyunjinie   had bad experiences in social media in her debut :bawling::bawling:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pointree said:

Err...it's only a part of script, how can she be blamed like that?:( it must be the first scene of them, SM should be more assess the condition.

• Like 4

@anggun11 Yes. Before being released of the movie, the stilshot picture of the kiss scene was all over the internet, their kiss scene was ranked #2 on daum realtime search keyword and yes of course, the movie acquired a very bad reputation even from their(TVX*'s) teenage fans. The fans just didn't want to see it. The release of the movie 'Dating on Earth' in theaters was postponed and eventually cancelled. 

• Like 7

Many thanks for the translation and some history piece.

I really love her answer to the question 5 about her fans. If i put myself in her shoes, i also could understand her mixed feelings about this yearly questionaires. I hope they are more lenient next year.

Talking about that movie with that boyband, those days the young fans were seriously insane, even until today i still find the insanity and immaturity in some. Jealousy is the root cause of most haters and any girl with little connection with their oppas would incur their wrath, which at times impacted the career of the victims. If you ask me, I'm still not in favour of posting pics or videos to remind these insane people and incur possible unnecessary hate again although it happened ages ago.

I still browse through selected celebrity news on soompi and other sites daily. It's unbelievable that media or fans can amplify some past misunderstandings or mistakes, sns postings including photo, tags, videos and etc. Do you know how glad i'm that shj is not active in sns?

I seldom state my inner thoughts or opinions. So this time i contradict myself for being a silent reader. Nevertheless, i believe SHJ will have my support for a long long time to come. Pardon me, if i don't login to like and reply.

• Like 4

@justright glad to see you pop in. Since you break the 'silence' already, hope you can join us more often! kkk :wink:

@Pointree thanks for sharing. I knew about that part of the story and well most of it. One of the reasons why I started translating articles here is for people to understand her better, her process of getting to where she is right now. Certainly it is not an easy process, there are some who had it easy, some who had it harder. But the most important thing of all is that she stood triumphant in all these difficulties and became where she is today with her hard work, perseverance and determination. We who are late in knowing her are glad that she never gave up, we are also thankful she has loyal fans like you and many others from MILK time(also those from TW) that believed in her and stood with her all these years. I know it is not easy for fans who see how good she is and can be but yet not being able to have the 'success' that even much younger stars have achieved. But you stood by and now share together with her the joy of finally achieving what she so deserve long ago.

And with now even more newfound fans, let's all look forward together with HyunJinie to the future to other milestones that she will continue to conquer and support her with all we can. Careers in the entertainment industry will always have their highs and lows, so let's make sure even during her low time we are there. For she said in her Q&A right, unconditional support from fans can strengthen her at times she feels tired and depressed. 

Let's stay united, stay positive, live wisely and a well balanced life as Hyunjinie advised B)

• Like 5