Discussion On Pd Yoon Seok-ho’s Four Season Drama

Translation by Hyc

http://www.chosunonline.com/article/20070803000011

2007/08/03

PD Yoon Seok Ho’s Drama Concert opened in Japan

Thanks Ching for another round of pleasure of viewing some of the cast from Spring Waltz together with PD Yoon who attending the concert. I think some of the other members are from the production team. Love those high quality pictures of them – didn’t realize the young girl who played Eun Young is also present – great supporters. Just too bad the other main lead couple did not attend the concert. BYJ is busy filming TWSSG while SSH is currently filming a movie and I wonder whether SHG has completed filming her movie. Even the female lead of SP, HHJ was nowhere to be seen and same with CJW and SYJ. I think it is quite impossible to bring all of them together. :rolleyes: Anyway, looks like it was a successful event. :)

Btw, appreciate your time in translating the above piece of news. Gomawayo chingu. :D

Thanks Liezle, Lu, Syah4brit, jihye87 and fifiz for participating in the questionnaires. I think all four season dramas attracted different group of viewers. Will share my thoughts later….

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pyh2007080300350004101pvv3.jpg

South Korean drama concert in Tokyo

Aug. 3, TOKYO, Japan -- Pictured is a scene of a Korea-themed drama concert, "The Four Seasons Love Story," that opened at the Tokyo International Forum on Aug. 2 for a two-day run. The concert features South Korean dramas which gained popularity in Japan, including the "Winter Sonata" and "Spring Waltz." (Yonhap)(END)

pyh2007080300330004101pqq4.jpg

Hallyu drama stars hold press conference in Tokyo

Aug. 3, TOKYO, Japan -- A group of South Korean actors and singers popular in Japan hold a press conference at the Tokyo International Forum on Aug. 2 prior to the "Four Seasons Love Story." The two-day "drama concert" was organized by Korean drama producer Yoon Seok-ho. (Yonhap)(END)

Source: http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/basic/Arti...ePhotoMain.aspx?

Guest dramalover

more captures taken from the Four Seasons Love Story concert...

kp1_070803003600.jpg

kp1_070803003500.jpg

kp1_070803003200.jpg

kp1_070803003300.jpg

kp1_070803002200.jpgkp1_070803001900.jpg

kp1_070803001300.jpg

kp1_070803001100.jpgkp1_070803000900.jpg

kp1_070803000400.jpgkp1_070803000300.jpg

credit as labelled

source:trulyjiwoo/rosie

Guest sarangf

Welcome to this thread Marley! :D Glad you enjoyed reading all the beautiful articles of WLS shared by Liezle (huge thanks to happiebb).Sorry for the off-topic information......"First Love" aka Cheot Sarang was broadcasted in Korea in 1996 - a 66 episode drama. It might be lengthy but it sure is worth investing your time. You'll be surprised to see few actors who has since make it big. :D Meanwhile, I shall enlighten you gals once I know the address of the Four Season House. So stay tune.... :)
you know where to get FIRST LOVE with Eng sub. i love this drama and look every where for it for some time but no luck.
With the release of all four season dramas, I am sure PD Yoon Seok-Ho would be just as enthusiastic as I am to know the responses of viewers on all the four seasonal drama produced and directed by him.Please take a few minutes of your time to answer 20 interesting questionnaires in relation to the Four Season Drama. Even if you have yet to watch all the four dramas, please don’t hesitate to join the fun (just indicate in your response which drama you have watched). The name of the drama will be referred as :Winter Sonata : WSAutumn In My Heart : ASSummer Scent : SSSpring Waltz : SW~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~1. Which is your favorite drama? Please rate in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite.AS ( 1 ) WS ( 2 )SS ( 4 ) SW ( 3 ) 2. Who is your favorite male lead role character?Yun Joon Suh in AS (Song Seung Hun)Kang Joon Sang/Lee Min Hyung in WS (Bae Yoon Joon)Yoo Min Woo (Song Seung Hun)Yoon Jae Ha (Suh Do Young)3. Who is your favorite female role character?Yun/Choi Eun Suh (Song Hye Gyo)Jung Yoo Jin (Choi Ji Woo)Shim Hye Won (Son Yeh Jin)Park Eun Young (Han Hyo Joo)4. Who is your favorite male supporting role character?Han Tae Suk in AS (Won Bin)Kim Sang Hyuk in WS (Park Yong Ha)Park Jung Jae in SS (Ryu Jin)Philip in SW (Daniel Henney)5. Who is your favorite female supporting role character?Choi/Yun Shin Ae in AS (Han Chae Young)Oh Che Lin in WS (Park Sol Mi)Park Jung Ah in SS (Han Ji Hye)Song Yi Na in SW (Lee So Yeon)6. Which drama should be voted for releasing the “Best OST”? Please vote in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite.AS ( 1) WS ( 2 )SS ( 3 ) SW ( 4 ) 7. Which drama should be voted for “Best Cinematography”? Please vote in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite. AS ( 1) WS ( 1 )SS ( 1 ) SW ( 1 ) 8. Which drama has the most heart-wrenching scenes?AS WS SS SW 9. Which drama did you cry the most?ASWSSS SW10. Which drama has the best ending?ASWSSS SW11. Which drama did you give-up watching half-way through?ASWSSS SW12. How many times have you watched your favorite drama and name the title of the drama please? _________________________________lost count AUTUNM IN MY HEART____________________________________________13. In which scene/drama did you find most memorable and name the title of the drama please?__________________AUTUNM IN MY HEART___________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________14. Did any of the four season drama influence you to watch other K-drama? Yes or No. If yes, please name the title of the drama._____________________________________________YES AS________________________________15. Did any of the four season drama influence you to visit Korea? Yes or No. If yes, please name the title of the drama.________________________________________________YES all of them_____________________________16. Who is your favorite actor?Song Seung Hun in ASBae Yong JunSong Seong Hun in SSSuh Do Young17. Who is your favorite actress?Song Hye GyoChoi Ji WooSon Yeh JinHan Hyo Joo18. Who is your favorite supporting actor?Won BinPark Yong HaRyu JinDaniel Henney19. Who is your favorite supporting actress?Han Chae YoungPark Sol MiHan Hye JinLee So Yeon20. Which on-screen couple has the best chemistry?Song Seung Hun with Song Hye GyoBae Yong Jun with Choi Ji WooSong Seung Hun with Son Yeh JinSuh Do Young with Han Hyo Joo END – THANK YOU VERY MUCH

thank you

Thanks Rubie and Lu for the news and all the lovely pictures of the recent concert held in Japan. :D

Sorry off-topic issue….Sarangf, I couldn’t find the English sub-title of First Love in all the big selling house of K-dramas, perhaps you can direct your question at BYJ’s thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Korean Drama Hall "Four Season House"

0531_culture_l.jpg

Further to enquiries made on the address of Four Season House, I found the location through Rosepetal (many thanks for helping chingu) and here’s the detail :-

Address: SEOUL TEUK BYEOL SI, MAPOGU, SANG SOO DONG, 86-10

Telephone: 02-3141-9027

Admission Fee: W 5,000 = $5.00

Hope visitors to the FSH will enjoy all the memoirs of the four season drama display at the House. Enjoy your trip! :)

Guest liezle

hello everyone!

here's an article, which i don't know when it was written, that was translated by happiebb. i was actually browsing the back pages of byj thread and found this posted last july 3, 2006.

Interview with PD Eun Yoon Ho

Original in Chinese: Liberty Times [Taiwan]

Translated into English: Happiebb

Do you want to know what peculiar habits Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo have when they're filming? Nothing escapes the eyes of Hallyu Director Eun Yoon Ho!

Hallyu heavyweight director Eun Yoon Ho arrived in Taipei the morning before yesterday specially to attend GTV's relocation party. The hurried 2D1N schedule only allowed him to hop into places like 101, and just before he left Taipei, he did an exclusive interview with us, and spoke about his 'group of students' and also about his Four Seasons series.

Everyone knows that Eun Yoon Ho became famous from the Four Seasons TV drama series, and also groomed quite a few spectacular talents. When talking about these famous actors and actresses, Eun Yoon Ho revealed, "Bae Yong Joon tends to get nervous and would read and memorize the script before filming starts. Choi Ji Woo is fantastic, when we were filming Winter Sonata, everyone was so haggard and tired from working through the nights, but I only saw her tucking into tidbits frantically and yet her face was not swollen or anything."

Once we got him to start talking, Eun Yoon Ho continued to share, "Song Seung Hun's personality is livelier and he's good at creating a conducive atmosphere. Won Bin is more shy and quite an introvert, he doesn't like to talk much, and he probably talks more when he's filming. The crew really likes the cute Song Hye Gyo, her acting's good and she can get into the mood every easily."

He Loves Autumn In My Heart and Winter Sonata the Most

When asked which is his favourite of the Four Seasons series, Eun Yoon Ho said, "Every drama is my precious baby. Many of the scenes in the dramas are also personal experiences, for instance, the bus scene in Winter Sonata. If I really have to pick my favourites, then they have to be Autumn In My Heart and Winter Sonata. Not only did these works enforce my personal style and establish my status, they also brought about the explosion of Hallyu everywhere."

Spring Waltz Used New Faces

Spring Waltz will be aired on GTV screen at the end of the year. Other than Daniel Henney, Suh Do Young and Han Hyo Joo are new faces with relatively little experience. About this, Eun Yoon Ho took pains to explain, "Spring is the time when the plants start to grow, representing that everything is growing and going to bloom, so it's most appropriate to use new talents."

Eun Yoon Ho indeed has the true colours of an artist, he only lives for his ideals and he will not produce more dramas just to make money. In October, he will go to Japan to direct the musical Winter Sonata. As for making a movie out of Winter Sonata, he gave a wave with his hand and said, "The rights to the drama are with me. The movie company has not contacted me. There hasn't been many precedents of TV dramas being remade into movies, it's not the time yet. Let's talk about this later."

hello felicia...i'll answer this by heart.. coz i already watch 3 season of love.... hehehe

With the release of all four season dramas, I am sure PD Yoon Seok-Ho would be just as enthusiastic as I am to know the responses of viewers on all the four seasonal drama produced and directed by him.

Please take a few minutes of your time to answer 20 interesting questionnaires in relation to the Four Season Drama. Even if you have yet to watch all the four dramas, please don’t hesitate to join the fun (just indicate in your response which drama you have watched).

The name of the drama will be referred as :

Winter Sonata : WS

Autumn In My Heart : AS

Summer Scent : SS

Spring Waltz : SW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Which is your favorite drama?

Please rate in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite.

AS ( 3 )

WS ( 1 )

SS ( 4 )

SW ( 2 )

2. Who is your favorite male lead role character?

Yun Joon Suh in AS (Song Seung Hun)

Kang Joon Sang/Lee Min Hyung in WS (Bae Yoon Joon)

Yoo Min Woo (Song Seung Hun)

Yoon Jae Ha (Suh Do Young)

3. Who is your favorite female role character?

Yun/Choi Eun Suh (Song Hye Gyo)

Jung Yoo Jin (Choi Ji Woo)

Shim Hye Won (Son Yeh Jin)

Park Eun Young (Han Hyo Joo)

4. Who is your favorite male supporting role character?

Han Tae Suk in AS (Won Bin)

Kim Sang Hyuk in WS (Park Yong Ha)

Park Jung Jae in SS (Ryu Jin)

Philip in SW (Daniel Henney)

5. Who is your favorite female supporting role character?

Choi/Yun Shin Ae in AS (Han Chae Young)

Oh Che Lin in WS (Park Sol Mi)

Park Jung Ah in SS (Han Ji Hye)

Song Yi Na in SW (Lee So Yeon)

6. Which drama should be voted for releasing the “Best OST”?

Please vote in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite.

AS ( 3 )

WS ( 1 )

SS ( 4 )

SW ( 2 )

7. Which drama should be voted for “Best Cinematography”?

Please vote in this particular order : 1 - as the most favorite……….and 4 the least favorite.

AS ( 3 )

WS ( 1 )

SS ( 4 )

SW ( 2 )

8. Which drama has the most heart-wrenching scenes?

AS

WS

SS

SW

9. Which drama did you cry the most?

AS

WS

SS

SW

10. Which drama has the best ending?

AS

WS

SS

SW

11. Which drama did you give-up watching half-way through?

AS

WS

SS i didn't watch the whole series because may cousins feedback about this series is not good

SW

12. How many times have you watched your favorite drama and name the title of the drama please?

WINTER SONATA - KOREAN VERISON - 10X & TAGALOG VERISON 10X+

13. In which scene/drama did you find most memorable and name the title of the drama please?

NO OTHER THAN WINTER SONATA

14. Did any of the four season drama influence you to watch other K-drama?

Yes or No. If yes, please name the title of the drama.

THE FIRST EVER K-SERIES THAT I'VE WATCH IS WINTER SONATA & FROM THEN ON I'M ALREADY ADDICTIVE TO A K-SERIES...

15. Did any of the four season drama influence you to visit Korea?

Yes or No. If yes, please name the title of the drama.

AFTER I WATCH WS I'VE ALREADY PLANNING TO GO TO KOREA

16. Who is your favorite actor?

Song Seung Hun in AS

Bae Yong Jun

Song Seong Hun in SS

Suh Do Young

17. Who is your favorite actress?

Song Hye Gyo

Choi Ji Woo

Son Yeh Jin

Han Hyo Joo

18. Who is your favorite supporting actor?

Won Bin

Park Yong Ha

Ryu Jin

Daniel Henney

19. Who is your favorite supporting actress?

Han Chae Young

Park Sol Mi

Han Hye Jin

Lee So Yeon

20. Which on-screen couple has the best chemistry?

Song Seung Hun with Song Hye Gyo

Bae Yong Jun with Choi Ji Woo - BEST AMONG THE REST....

Song Seung Hun with Son Yeh Jin

Suh Do Young with Han Hyo Joo

END – THANK YOU VERY MUCH

P.S.

can i ask for the title of SW thread...

thanks felicia...

Thanks Liezle for posting the interesting article where PD Yoon revealed the habits/characteristics of the actors before the camera start rolling, his favorite drama and other tidbit news of his four season drama.

Yujien, thanks for participating on the questionnaire (with your regular visit to WS thread, who else will beat the couple so close to your heart) :lol: and here’s the link to Spring Waltz thread.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11245

Guest dramalover

All reviews by Kit Lim extracted from http://www.koreanfilm.org/tvdramas

Autumn Fairy Tale (2000, KBS miniseries)

25b5911c_fall_250.jpg

Autumn Fairy Tale was a major hit in 2000, directed by critically-acclaimed director Yoon Suk-ho. This series was so popular that it not only propelled the three leads -- Song Seung-hun, Song Hye-gyo and Won Bin -- to stardom, it also helped Korea to become a popular tourist destination for many Asians. In fact, this was also the first series to really showcase Korean dramas internationally.

Some might find the storyline to be pretty sentimental, as it tells the story of an undying love between two siblings, although they are not related by blood. Song Seung-un is Jun-suh, and Song Hye-gyo is Eun-suh, who grew up together as siblings for fourteen years. Due to a traffic accident, Eun-suh is hospitalized and requires a blood transfusion. It is then that the parents of the two children realize that Eun-suh is not their biological daughter. As Eun-suh's father probes into the matter, he found out that two female infants were born in the same hospital the day Eun-suh was born. After much investigation, Eun-suh's parents find that their biological daughter is Eun-suh's classmate and rival, Shin-ae, who had suffered through a much tougher life. Shin-ae hates Eun-suh for possessing a much better material life. Also, while Eun-suh grew up with her parents' and Jun-suh's love, Shin-ae grew up with a rather uncouth mother and a very abusive brother.

When the truth is revealed, emotions overwhelm Eun-suh, and being the kind-hearted girl, she choses to return to her biological mother. Shin-ae, played by child actress Lee Ae-jung, leaves with Jun-suh and her biological family for America and stays there for nine years. The show than fast forwards nine years later, as Jun Suh returns to Korea with his fiancee. Jun-suh is reunited with Eun-suh, but alas, Jun-suh's best friend, played by up-coming actor Won Bin also falls in love with her. As the story moves on, Eun-suh and Jun-suh face many obstacles which pull at viewers' hearts...

When this show was broadcast on TV, the love story between Jun-suh and Eun-suh was deemed by many as incest, although they were not biological siblings. Song Seung-hun is charistmatic as Jun-suh -- I personally felt that he portrayed the role of Jun-suh quite well. Song Hye-gyo's portrayal of Eun-suh was also compelling. It was impressive to see her tearing up so naturally in the drama's many heart wrenching moments. The supporting leads, Won Bin (Taegukgi) and Han Chae-young (Bet On My Disco), who played the grown-up Shin-ae, also complemented the two leads well. However, I thought Han Chae-young was a little underused in the show. Despite the general thumbs up performance of the leads, the most impressive performance comes from the child actors. The teenage Jun-suh was played by child actor Choi Woo-hyuk and the teenage Eun-suh, played by Moon Geun-young (A Tale of Two Sisters). Despite the fact that Moon Geun-young was only 12 or 13 when she played the role of Eun-suh, she shows her caliber as one of the best actresses around. Choi Woo-hyuk also impresses the audience with his good acting skills.

With a good plot and great performance by the cast, Autumn Fairy Tale proves to you why it has such a huge following. Overall, this series is worth your every minute spent watching it. (Review by Kit Lim)

Autumn Fairy Tale ("Gaeul donghwa"). Alternative titles: "Endless Love" or "Autumn Tale". 16 episodes. Written by Oh Su-yeon. Produced by Yoon Suk-ho. Starring Song Seung-hun, Song Hae-gyo, Won Bin, Han Na-na, Han Chae-young, Choi Woo-hyuk, Moon Geun-young, Lee Ae-jung. First aired on KBS in Korea in Autumn 2000. Official website (in Korean): click here. Available on DVD from KBS Media in Korea (no subtitles) and from MPEG Video in Malaysia (English, Chinese, and Malay subtitles).

source:http://www.koreanfilm.org/tvdramas

********************************************************************************

Winter Sonata (2002, KBS miniseries)

winter1.jpg

Another masterpiece by Korea's revered director, Yoon Suk-ho, Winter Sonata is the second installment of his famous four season series, the previous being Autumn Fairy Tale and the latest, Scent of Summer. Like its predecessor, Autumn Fairy Tale, Winter Sonata has a huge following in many parts of Asia, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Japan and Southeast Asia. Its two leading stars, Bae Yong-jun (Untold Scandal) and Choi Ji-woo also gained international fame because of the series.

Bae Yong-jun takes up the role of Kang Joon-sang, an illegitimate child whose mother is an accomplished pianist. Due to his parental background, he is an introvert who does not like to interact with people, and often does not take the initiative to express himself. Even though his mother has told him his father is dead, as a child, Joon-sang believes that he is still alive. Hence, when he becomes older, he decides to return to his mother's hometown, where his parents were lovers, in a bid to look for his biological father.

Joon-sang then transfers to the high school where Yoo-jin (Choi Ji-woo) studies. A couple of entertaining anecdotes then happen between the two protagonists and through these incidents, they grow to like each other. However, as Joon-sang investigates, he realizes that his biological father might be Yoo-jin's late father. Flustered by his new findings, he decides to leave. However, as he decides to rush to see Yoo-jin for one last time, he is knocked down by a car...

Meanwhile, as the rest of his schoolmates including Yoo-jin think that he is dead after the accident, he is in fact alive, but he has lost his memory. In a bid to let him lead a happier life, his mother decides to erase his previous memories and give him new memories with a new identity, Lee Min-hyung.

The show than fast forwards 10 years later, as Joon-sang and Yoo-jin have both grown up. Joon-sang returns as Min-hyung and as Chae-rin's boyfriend (Chae-rin was Yoo-jin and Joon-sang's classmate in high school, but later went to France for further studies). During this time, Yoo-jin was about to get engaged to her childhood playmate Sang-hyuk, played by up-and-coming actor Park Yong-ha. However, due to a twist of fate, Joon-sang and Yoo-jin meet again and become attracted to each other once more. As the fate of the four intertwines, the show goes on to tell of the enthralling love story between Joon-sang and Yoo-jin.

Winter Sonata is a captivating story. The chemistry between Bae Yong-jun and Choi Ji-woo is terrific. In fact, many people were so impressed by them that rumours surfaced that they were a real-life couple. Bae Yong-jun certainly impressed many with his gripping performance of Joon-sang and Min-hyung. This could be said to be his breakthrough drama, as it was through this show that he shot to great fame. Choi Ji-woo also proves herself as an A-list actress with her overwhelming performance as Yoo-jin. One of her scenes which enthralled me was when she was confronting Joon-sang, urging him not to fire an old worker. The feeling of urgency then topped 100%.

As for the supporting leads, Park Sol-mi did a good impersonation of Chae-rin. Park Yong-ha did fairly well, but acting alongside veteran actors Bae Yong-jun and Choi Ji-woo, he clearly showed his inexperience in this field. Finally, it would be almost unjust to leave Kim Hae-sook out of the picture. Acting as Yoo-jin's mother, her performance as the Korean "ajumma" added flavour and colour throughout the whole show.

Again, Yoon Suk-ho has proven himself as one of Korea's best drama tellers. With an impressive portfolio, many audience members certainly do look forward to his subsequent dramas. Winter Sonata is an original love story. It's definitely not-to-be-missed! (Review by Kit Lim)

Winter Sonata ("Gyeoul yeonga"). Alternative titles: "Winter Love Song" or "Winter Ballad." 20 episodes. Written by Kim Eun-hee and Yoon Eun-kyung. Produced by Yoon Suk-ho. Starring Bae Yong-jun, Choi Ji-woo, Park Yong-ha, Park Sol-mi, Lee Hye-eun, Ryu Seung-soo, and Kim Hye-sook. First aired on KBS2 in Korea from January 14 - March 19, 2002 on Monday and Tuesday nights at 9:50pm. Official website (in Korean): click here. Available on DVD from KBS Media in Korea in both English-subtitled and unsubtitled versions.

source::http://www.koreanfilm.org/tvdramas

********************************************************************************

Summer Scent (2003, KBS miniseries)

summer_photo_6.jpg

I finally finished watching Summer Scent. Don't misunderstand me. I am not implying that Summer Scent is such an unbearable show to watch that I have to force myself to watch it. It's just the feeling of relief you get when the drama finally comes to an end.

Summer Scent threads along the same vine as its predecessors: Autumn Fairy Tale and Winter Sonata. Narrating the story of two lovers and their tribulations, it certainly follows the directing style of Yoon Suk-ho, who also directed the previous two dramas.

In this drama, PD Yoon is reunited with actor Song Seung-hun (Calla, Ice Rain), who also acted in Autumn Fairy Tale. Perhaps it was the previous chemistry which they had build-up together in the previous drama, Song Seung-hun could grasp the PD's requirements and expectations, and thus played the role of Yoo Min Woo well. Song Ye-jin (The Classic, Crazy First Love), in her fifth role in dramas and movies, also showed that she has grown up to become a more mature actress since her debut in 2001 in Delicious Proposal.

Song Seung-hun plays the role of Yoo Min Woo, an architect who lost his first love, Eun Hye (played by actress Shin Ae) in a traffic accident on the day of their wedding. Ever since that freak accident, he believed that he would never be able to fall in love again, until he met Shim Hye Won, whose personality bears a striking resemblance to his first love. However, like how most Korean dramas go, their meeting was not immediate, but rather coincidental in the mountains three years later. What made this story complicated was the fact that Hye Won, who used to be a sickly child with a heart problem, had a heart transplant with, gasp! Eun Hye's heart!

The complications do not end here. The story also threads on a sideline, where the lovers find it tough to maintain their love since Hye Won was already attached to Park Jung Jae (played by actor Ryu Jin), a charismatic eligible bachelor. Making things worse, Jung Jae's younger sister Jung Ah (played by actress Han Ji-hye) who is also best friends with Hye Won, is in love with Min Woo...

Just looking at the relationships alone, one can pretty much tell that it's a messed-up entanglement. What stands out in this show also is the beautiful scenery and lovely soundtrack. Using Calla Resort and the tea fields as a backdrop, one can't help but to admire the beautiful scenery too. An avid classical music lover myself, it was exhilarating to hear Schbert's famous Serenade been played in the background. Besides Serenade, the soundtrack also boasts a couple of great songs that went well along with the scenes in the show.

As for the performance of the supporting cast, Ryu Jin put up a good performance. Portraying a composed, sensitive new age guy, he has clearly done a good rendition of what is required of his role. Han Ji-hye was impressive in her debut performance too. She is natural in her acting. Perhaps this could be the reason as to the success of her latest comedy-drama, Narang 18 Seh.

Summer Scent is a good drama to watch. But compared to Autumn Fairy Tale and Winter Sonata, I personally felt that this was the least exciting of all. Perhaps this could be attributed to the slow start-up pace of the drama. However, the audience can expect a more tense atmosphere with each episode. The plot has its pretty ridiculous moments as well, especially the heart-thumping moments, which I felt were pretty preposterous. (Review by Kit Lim)

Summer Scent ("Yeoreum hyanggi"). 20 episodes. Written by Choi Ho-yeon. Produced by Yoon Suk-ho. Starring Song Seung-heon, Son Ye-jin, Ryu Jin, Han Ji-hye, Shin Ae, Jo Eun-sook, Ahn Jung-hoon, Kim Hae-sook, Kim Yong-gun. Aired on KBS in Korea from July 7 - September 9, 2003 on Monday & Tuesday nights at 9:55pm. Official website (in Korean): click here. Available on DVD from KBS in Korea with English subtitles.

source::http://www.koreanfilm.org/tvdramas

Guest jojijunjy

Thanks to all who brought us the Four Seasons House! I'm looking forward to visiting it. It is now on our list of destinations as we are planning our trip to Korea next year.

BTW, I may be in the minority here but just loved Summer Scent.

Guest dramalover

BTW, I may be in the minority here but just loved Summer Scent.

Don't think it that way,'jojijunjy' ..We all have

our own preferences..the most important is you enjoyed the drama...Share anything

SUMMER SCENT here...Cheers.. :D

Huge thanks Lu for supplying interesting articles on the four season drama and Ching for spreading the good news on PD Yoon’s awesome achievement in Japan. I am surprised all four season drama was a big hit in the Japanese market. I think it has got to do with the popularity of Winter Sonata, and he soared to fame after the drama propelled to absolute unbeatable No.1 spot even until today. Perhaps, the recent concert in Japan helped to promote Spring Waltz too.

Thanks Kdramafanusa for spending time on the questionnaires. So far, I think WS is one of the most watched K-drama amongst the four season drama due to its recognition as the drama that brought fame to Korea – hallyu wave.

Hi Phoenix….glad you enjoyed reading years of hard work and planning by PD Yoon in his four season drama production and of course, the rest of the interesting news on everything there is on these dramas are truly a relish to read and to view the beautiful pictures.

Don’t worry Jojijunjy, we all have differing taste and opinion and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with your minority choice. Summer Scent's beautiful terrain boasted with greenery scene is one of the most breathtaking scenes in the drama. It was very refreshing to see how GREEN the country side is and a treasure to be able to appreciate nature though it is being captured on screen.

Guest dramalover

Capture from Oricon survey

"http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/special/070815_01.html"]http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/special/070815_01.html

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4637/oriconjd2.jpg

Top 10 Korean dramas

1. Winter Sonata

4. Spring Waltz

5. Summer Scent

9. Autumn Fairy Tale

All the Four Season Dramas are in the Top 10 list. :P:lol:

Very impressive accomplishments..36155nw0.gifsmileybowvt7.gif...way to go director Yoon..Please continue to make beautiful and classic dramas for us to enjoy...Cheers..

Thanks a lot Hyc for the the great news..

Surfing the Korean wave in Seoul

A new map and bus tour highlight hallyu’s best loved locations

August 03, 2007

02214104.jpg

In a way the idea of visiting the sets of famous soap operas seems as childish as sticking a hand in the handprints of celebrities on the walls of Planet Hollywood. But in the minds of urban slackers, the idea of mimicking characters from their favorite shows creates the guilty pleasure of living an actor’s lifestyle for nothing. And let’s face it. It happens everywhere.

Look at “- and the City” and the impact it had on the Manolo Blahnik shoe company when Carrie, the main character, obsessed over their 500-dollar heels.

The Louis K. Meisel Gallery, where Charlotte worked and hundreds of restaurants, bars and shops that were featured in the show all became must-see destinations for the show’s audiences, many of whom who had never been to the Big Apple before.

Officials of the Seoul government have picked up on this idea and have produced a map in English, Japanese and Chinese that marks all the locations of soaps and films that were shot in Seoul. They are seeking to boost hallyu (Korean Wave) tourism ― to attract visitors to come to Korea because they are fans of shows or movies that form part of the Korean Wave of entertainment exported overseas.

“Aside from a few famous places like Nami Island [where two lovers took a bicycle ride that led to their first kiss by a lake in an early episode of the internationally-famous drama “Winter Sonata”] there hasn’t been a proper guide that introduces foreign visitors to the sites where many of the most popular Korean films were shot,” says Kim Eun-ju at Seoul metropolitan government’s Cultural Industry Department.

The hallyu map is a follow up to “Hello Hallyu” (www.hellohallyu.com) a Web site produced by the Korea Tourism Organization that features a list of Korean movies and soap operas that have been exported overseas, with storylines, actors and filming locations. The Korean government has worked hard to induce interest in Korea through hallyu as a way to increase tourism from the rest of Asia.

Despite its efforts, the domestic tourism industry has suffered a decline over the past two or three years. The number of Japanese tourists has dropped steadily since 2004 when hallyu was at its peak. Only 2.3 million Japanese tourists came to Korea last year, a six percent drop since 2000.

Nevertheless the Korea Tourism Organization has continued to introduce drama tour packages. Last year they offered a 10-day tour package, which visits major locations including those for “Summer Scent” and “Jewel in the Palace,” a drama about a royal chef that was exported to 30 countries.

The new hallyu map begins at ChoongAng High School from Winter Sonata, the show which first began the hallyu frenzy in 2004. There is often a crowd of street vendors selling souvenirs outside the school where the male lead Jun-sang (played by Bae Yong-joon) played the piano for his lover, who later turns out to be his long-lost sister.

Campus romance is a big part of location tours in Seoul, including the scene from the film “My Sassy Girl,” a romantic comedy about two college students who meet in the subway.

Many of the movie’s scenes were shot near the Underwood Memorial House of Yonsei University where the heroine asked her boyfriend to exchange his sneakers for her high heels and then made him chase after her saying “Catch me if you can, or you’ll die.”

In the drama “Beautiful Days,” Yonsei, a school highly cherished by young Koreans because of its urban liberalism, was used as the site where the heroine chases after the male lead Seon-jae.

Yonsei also features in “The Classic” when Ji-hye shelters under a tree on the campus during a rain shower and meets a boy named Sang-min who is destined to become the love of her life.

The film, a melodrama, had many scenes from Yonsei’s campus, such as when the couple runs in the rain toward the library, covering themselves with a wet jacket. Cliches are celebrated in many Korean dramas, which is evident from the locations where they were shot.

In the main scene from “Stairway to Heaven,” the male lead rides a merry-go-round in an amusement park with a girl he has loved since childhood. As emotions reach a peak the male lead shouts his famous line “Love is destined to come back,” on an ice rink in Lotte World.

Ever since the drama, the garish lights that adorn Lotte World’s cement castles and merry-go-rounds have become the park’s trademark, drawing hundreds of Asian tourists fascinated by the show’s theme of tragic love ― the female lead in Stairway to Heaven eventually goes blind from cancer of the eye.

Korean soap operas are often based on a romance between a son from a wealthy family and a working class Jane and they have featured many of Seoul’s upscale shops.

In “Lovers in Paris,” the story of a poor housekeeper who falls in love with the son of a corporate chairman, the male lead gets up in a bar and sings “May I Love You” to please his girlfriend, who is emotionally exhausted by his family’s attempts to split them up. The scene, reflecting the taste and social status of the male lead, was shot in the Paris Bar at the Grand Hyatt and is one of the reasons why the bar features live piano music for customers at night. (Note that when a rich man dates a poor girl in Korean dramas they sip designer martinis at a hotel bar. When a rich girl dates a poor man, they gulp down soju at a street tent eatery.)

Duchamp, a fashionably-named dessert cafe south of the river, has also been a hot spot for young Koreans after it featured in “My Lovely Samsoon.” In the drama, the arrogant but tasteful male owner of a chic French restaurant takes his chubby thirty-something pastry artist girlfriend to a posh shop and orders over 60 kinds of cakes, puddings and tarts and lays them on a giant table for her to sample.

Then there are the settings for historical dramas that have become meccas of celebrity memorabilia, drawing hundreds of visitors. The Korean folk village, known as “Korea’s Hollywood,” is another example. Palaces and traditional villages within Seoul have become major tourist destinations after they were used as settings for dramas and films.

The most famous example, Aeryeonji Pond within Changdeok Palace, was the setting where King Jungjong expressed his appreciation toward Janggeum, the royal chef, in Jewel in the Palace. Palatial landscapes also adorned scenes in “Princess Hours” a story about a modern-day court based on the premise that Korea is still governed by a royal family. The show featured a wedding ceremony between a royal prince and an ordinary girl that took place in Unhyeon Palace.

At Namsangol Hanok Village, Jo-won, a charming scholar from the Joseon Dynasty, pushes away his lover, saying, “My feelings turned cold the moment you said you loved me.” He was playing the role of Valmont in the Korean remake of the American movie “Dangerous Liaisons.”

To renew interest in hallyu, the Seoul government has supplemented its new map with trial runs of three hallyu-themed tour buses decked out with lush posters from the television drama “Spring Waltz.” Passengers watch the actual show while on board in between stops at major location sites of hallyu dramas and films.

Meanwhile, Yun Seok-ho, the director of the soap operas Winter Sonata, “Summer Scent,” “Autumn Fairy Tale” and Spring Waltz opened The Four Seasons House in northern Seoul which displays location stills and props from the Spring Waltz set.

During the opening event in May, local fans and press showed up for the event along with international broadcasters such as NHK from Japan.

http://chinese.tour2korea.com/hellohallyu/

http://english.tour2korea.com/hellohallyu/index.asp

By Park Soo-mee Staff Writer [myfeast@joongang.co.kr]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived