Princess Mononoke

Guest Happy_Day

Guest Happy_Day

168323.jpg

Plot:
Princess Mononoke is a period drama set in the late Muromachi period (approximately 1337 to 1573) of Japan, but with fantasy elements. The story follows the young Emishi warrior Ashitaka's involvement in the struggle between the supernatural guardians of a forest and the humans who consume its resources. The term "Mononoke(物の怪 or もののけ?) is not a name, but a general term in the Japanese language for a spirit or monster; a closer rendering of the title into English would be "The Mononoke Princess" or "The Spirit Princess".

204036.jpg

122950.jpg

princess-mononoke-poster1366x76839547.jp

Guest Malice_Kaiser

This film is my all-time favourite Miyazaki film (for most people, though, it's Spirited Away :/ ). I absolutely adore Princess Mononoke.

It is very bloody, and pretty weird, but an absolutely amazing movie. It's deep, and well-developed, and, christ, I can't even put into words how much love I have for this movie and Miyazaki as a whole. :wacko: But no, I wouldn't consider it a "guy" movie at all. If anything I'd consider it more of a girly movie because it involves a lot of deeper aspects, many environmental aspects. It's not just all-action, no-story type of action movie.

As for a love story, yes. But it's also partially up for interpretation. The movie isn't JUST a love story, and it also isn't JUST and action film.

In short, I very, VERY highly recommend you Princess Mononoke as something you should watch ASAP. Like seriously, I'm reading this thread thinking "How is that even a valid question? In what case could the answer possibly be 'no'?" :lol: Just go see it!

Guest Epikt

Is it kind of a guy movie?

But no, I wouldn't consider it a "guy" movie at all. If anything I'd consider it more of a girly movie

<_<

I won't ask what the hell a "guy" movie and a girly movie are... a bit stereotypical, isn't it ?

By the way, it's not bloody that much, I mean, I never meet someone who tells me "oh, this is a bloody movie", it really not what come first to the mind.

As for a love story, yes. But it's also partially up for interpretation. The movie isn't JUST a love story, and it also isn't JUST and action film.

IHMO the whole Hayao Miyazaki filmography and bibliography is about love. Of course not a love story between a guy and a girl, but on several aspects on each movie. A lot of people pretend that he deals with ecology and things like that, especially in Nausicaä and Mononoke Hime, but it's really too restrictive. Look at Nausicaä - she's the symbol of all miyazaki's heroins - her love is for everything.

<subliminal message> READ NAUSICAA </subliminal message>

Guest Malice_Kaiser

<_<

I won't ask what the hell a "guy" movie and a girly movie are... a bit stereotypical, isn't it ?

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Generally a guy movie is one that guys might prefer to watch, and a girly movie is one that girls tend to watch.

No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.

And as for a love story, yeah, you're right, but I think the topic starter was talking about more of a conventional type of love story.

Guest monchichi

I love this movie... all the themes, the animation and the characters are so beautiful - don't miss out on it!

Guest Happy_Day

<_<

By the way, it's not bloody that much, I mean, I never meet someone who tells me "oh, this is a bloody movie", it really not what come first to the mind.

IHMO the whole Hayao Miyazaki filmography and bibliography is about love. Of course not a love story between a guy and a girl, but on several aspects on each movie. A lot of people pretend that he deals with ecology and things like that, especially in Nausicaä and Mononoke Hime, but it's really too restrictive. Look at Nausicaä - she's the symbol of all miyazaki's heroins - her love is for everything.

<subliminal message> READ NAUSICAA </subliminal message>

Well, I just meant that typically, girls and guys tend to like different genres of movies. Sorry if it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but I think it's true in general. I mean, you're not going to meet many guys who love chick flicks, and most girls I know dislike hard-core action movies and thrillers that have a lot of gore. Then, there are kinds of movies that both genders usually like (Pirates of the Caribbean, for example, because it includes both love and action).

I hope you know what I mean.

I'm more of an action-lover. But I like to have a love story in there somewhere.

I was talking about boy-meets-girl kind of love story, by the way. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kkandy4mee

OMG. my absolutely favorite hayao miyazaki film of all time. storyline was beautiful, music was wonderful, artwork was fantastic

Guest pikapika

Watch it. It's much better than Howl's Moving Castle.

well it depends on what ur in it for...the two stories are pretty different~well miyazaki created princess and some british lady wrote howl's

i thought the romance relationship in howl was one of the best out of miyazaki films (but nothing beats "whispers of the heart")

and princess mononoke ends with a lot of questions unanswered~or thats what i felt anyways~and the main character bore me no end...he was just so...good...it was sick...more sick than all the body parts coming off in the movie

but it is a really good movie and the story is good ^.^

Guest Nightmare

^Howl's Moving Castle didn't make any sense. It was so jumbled together that everything got more complex and confusing. I couldn't even sit through it without wanting to scratch my butt in annoyance. It was a huge disappointment. I only contrasted the two because the topic starter mentioned it, and I think it's a horrible movie. xP

Princess Mononoke is much better to me. Everything fluidly went together. Complex but understanding. Everything that needed to be answered was answered to me. I didn't have a problem with Ashitaka's role.

I haven't seen all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, but I like Spirited Away the best.

Guest Zealain

i really like princess mononoke... it's a sweet story =)

i was dissapointed in howl's moving castle though... it's nothing like the book... >> all jumbled up and the whole story ruined :<

spirited away is another awesome studio ghibli film... ^^ some older ones like nausicaa or totoro or laputa are cute too :D

Guest EyeBoog

Ghibli is the awesome. Princess Mononoke is my all time favorite. The story is amazing and the fighting is top notch. Pretty violent though. It also has a lot of...nasty looking demons and animals. Am I the only one that thinks the forest spirit and nightwalker are terrifyingly ugly and creepy?

Check out Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away too. Or just check out all of the movies from Studio Ghibli lol.

Guest pikapika

^Howl's Moving Castle didn't make any sense. It was so jumbled together that everything got more complex and confusing. I couldn't even sit through it without wanting to scratch my butt in annoyance. It was a huge disappointment. I only contrasted the two because the topic starter mentioned it, and I think it's a horrible movie. xP

Princess Mononoke is much better to me. Everything fluidly went together. Complex but understanding. Everything that needed to be answered was answered to me. I didn't have a problem with Ashitaka's role.

I haven't seen all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, but I like Spirited Away the best.

really? i thought howl's was pretty understandable...o.0 but then i was completely confused with mononoke so i guess w'ere opposite ^.^

i cant say which one i liked more...like i said they're kinda hard to compare...

is there a miyazaki thread? i could go on about miyazaki forever...he's my idol

---

only watch grave of the fireflies if youre ready for one of the most depressing movies ever...it sucked all the happiness out of me

Guest madeinktown

this is really an awesome movie. no doubt about it. it's one of those movies that actually live up to the hype.

another movie i'd recommend is "metropolis." that was another great movie.

• 3 months later...

Archived