Soop boss updated his Instagram with gong Yoo watching his new ad 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXJHjw8vAag/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gong Yoo updated his Instagram with his pic watching our beloved summer

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXLmGSTh0AG/?utm_medium=copy_link

Soop boss updated his Instagram again with gy pic watching"Choi Woo Shik" drama "our beloved summer"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXLr2ddv-I_/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Where's My Oppa? 1

Netflix shared characters description

All Aboard Nuri 11: Meet the Daring Crew of ‘The Silent Sea’

Can Gong Yoo and his neck tattoo save mankind?

A group of space experts and astronauts must embark on a 24-hour mission to the moon and bring back mysterious samples on Balhae Base research station. As crew members begin to die one by one unexpectedly, however, they find that many more forces than they’d expected seek to threaten their mission. 

Meet the crew who risks it all on an adventure that’s literally out of this world.

All Aboard Nuri 11: Meet the Daring Crew of ‘The Silent Sea’

Han Yunjae (Gong Yoo)

Title: Captain of Nuri 11

Background: Yunjae is tasked with bringing classified samples from Balhae station back to Earth. His sole focus is to complete the mission. 

Notable Info: He’s cool and reserved and, at times, inflexible. He leaves behind a daughter on Earth.

Spoiler
Bae Doona

Song Jian (Bae Doona)

Title: Astrobiologist

Background: Jian has her own secret reasons why she decides to embark on this mission. 

Notable Info: Before the mission, Jian switched fields from astrobiology to ethology, the study of animal behavior

Ryu Taeseok (Lee Joon)

Ryu Taesuk (Lee Joon)

Title: Lieutenant Engineer

Background: Taesuk is a former pilot with military training who’s transferred into the engineering field.

Notable Info: He’s highly regarded by his peers and considered “elite.”

Hong Gayoung, aka Doc Hong (Kim Sun-young)

Hong Gayoung, aka Doc Hong (Kim Sun-young)

Title: Medic

Background: Gayoung’s a team player who handles medical crises — including mysterious and unknown space viruses — swiftly and deftly. 

Notable Info: She’s deeply caring of her team, despite her initial sass

Gong Suhyeok (Lee Mu-saeng)

Gong Soohyuk (Lee Mu-saeng)

Title: Security Team Leader

Background: Soohyuk’s the older brother of Gong Soochan, who’s also on the mission. 

Notable Info: A man of few words, Soohyuk is mission-oriented and loyal to Captain Han.

Kim Heesun, aka Kim Sun

Kim Heesun, aka Kim Sun (Lee Sung-wook)

Title: Pilot

Background: The crew calls him “Kim Sun,” but Heesun refers to himself as “Top Gun.”

Notable Info: He’s outspoken and seen as the class clown. Having served many years together, he and Soochan are close.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

<The Silent Sea> Balhae Base’ Experience Zone promotion in IFC Mall Seoul Korea starts today 12/21.  The promotion looks cool!!

Bae Donna  IG story update her visit there this afternoon.  Haha maybe Gong Yoo will also pay a visit and update his IG :tongue:

• Thanks 1

2021/12/22  <The Silent Sea> online presscon in Seoul

3-A1-C1875-6281-42-B4-95-ED-858-A895875-

148-EA43-D-AF05-4-F15-898-F-9-F39-BD9480

Gong Yoo confessed at “The Silent Sea” press conference: “I got tanned skin and neck tattoo in order to play my character”

Hachi12076 | Kbizoom | December 22, 2021

Actor Gong Yoo explained the character he plays in “The Silent Sea”.

On the morning of December 22nd, the press conference for “The Silent Sea” was held online in order to prevent the pandemic spread. Actors Bae Doo-na, Gong Yoo, Lee Joon, Kim Sun-young, Lee Moo-saeng, Lee Sung-wook, director Choi Hang-yong, screenwriter Park Eun-kyo, and Jung Woo-sung (producer) attended the event.

8-EB8-B4-B0-AF3-E-432-F-AE95-658-A88-FB2

On this day, Gong Yoo talked about his role in “The Silent Sea”, saying “Since this character was a soldier, so I tried to express his tanned appearance that shows he has been through a lot of hardships”, adding, “I also got a tattoo on my neck”. He continued, “I didn’t make myself look tough on purpose. I only tried to get rid of the ‘romantic’ appearance.”In addition, Gong Yoo shared, “I think I will show you something that you haven’t seen before”.

Spoiler

1-C516-F63-2-EC8-4434-BEEC-6-B058041027-

“The Silent Sea” is a Netflix series telling the story of people who leave for a research base abandoned on the moon after receiving a special mission in the near future when the Earth is suffering from a lack of essential resources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Star-studded space thriller ‘The Silent Sea’ is Netflix’s Christmas offering

Gong Yoo and Bae Doona star in the sci-fi thriller series ‘The Silent Sea,’ which will be available for streaming on Netflix on December 24. Photo courtesy of Netflix Gong Yoo and Bae Doona star in the sci-fi thriller series ‘The Silent Sea,’ which will be available for streaming on Netflix on December 24. Photo courtesy of Netflix

MANILA — In 2014, Choi Hang-yong released a short film called “The Sea of Tranquility,” which served as his graduation project. Fortunately, one of those who saw the work was veteran Korean actor Jung Woo-sung, who later approached Choi with the idea of turning the short into a series.

“It was a small, rough gemstone at first. And it was a matter of how much we would allow it to shine by processing it,” Jung said in a video released Wednesday by Netflix.

Now, the short has been developed into “The Silent Sea,” an eight-part sci-fi thriller series headlined by some of South Korea’s most prominent actors.

“The Silent Sea,” scheduled to premiere on Netflix on Christmas Eve, revolves around a group of space explorers who embark on a perilous mission to an abandoned research facility on the moon.

Lee Moo-saeng, Kim Sun-young, Gong Yoo, Bae Doona, Lee Joon and Lee Sung-wook at the press conference for ‘The Silent Sea.’ Photo courtesy of Netflix Lee Moo-saeng, Kim Sun-young, Gong Yoo, Bae Doona, Lee Joon and Lee Sung-wook at the press conference for ‘The Silent Sea.’ Photo courtesy of Netflix

“I wanted to create a story with the backdrop being the surface of the moon. During the research, I found out that even though the moon is the closest to us (Earth), there's not much that has been revealed to us," Choi said in an online press conference on Wednesday.

Choi hoped he would be able to tell a “bigger story” now that his work has become a series backed by the streaming giant.

“In the short film, we only talk about what happens in the station but with it becoming a series, we were able to depict what happened on the Earth, how the other people are living,” he said.

The show’s trailer showed a desolate Earth with depleting resources.

“So it’s no longer about the story of the expedition team but about survival and mankind,” the director said. 

Watch more on iWantTFC

Gong Yoo and Bae Doona lead the powerhouse cast, playing a military veteran who leads the expedition and an astrobiologist who seeks to uncover the truth behind the lunar research facility, respectively.

“Because sci-fi and outer space series are not that common in Korea, I thought it was a big challenge,” Bae said, explaining why she took on the project.

Gong said he also wanted to challenge himself by acting in a new genre, having previously starred in many romance dramas.

“I had always wanted to challenge myself to play a role in a genre series and as a member of the audience, when I like to consume content, I'm very interested in a dystopian backdrop,” said Gong, known for starring in the hit 2016 zombie film “Train to Busan.”

“The Silent Sea” also stars Lee Joon (former member of the K-pop band MBLAQ), Lee Moo-saeng (from “The World of the Married”), Kim Sun-young (“Reply 1988” and “Crash Landing On You”) and Lee Sung-wook.

Spoiler

One of the sets used in the filming of ‘The Silent Sea.’ Photo courtesy of Netflix

One of the sets used in the filming of ‘The Silent Sea.’ Photo courtesy of Netflix

Success of K-content

“The Silent Sea” is Netflix’s latest original Korean series following the success of the survival drama “Squid Game” and apocalyptic “Hellbound.”

It’s also the latest sci-fi content out of South Korea, which released its first space opera film — the Song Joong-ki-starrer “Space Sweepers” — earlier this year.

“The reason why outer space sci-fi is a challenge [is] because in the Korean landscape, we don’t have much experience in this field,” said series writer Park Eun-kyo.

“So when I was writing the script, I wasn’t sure that this would be made into a realistic set,” she said.

Director Choi said the production team used five studios to recreate the moon’s surface and research facility.

Instead of using a blue screen to project backgrounds, an LED wall was put up on the set to make it more immersive for the actors, he added.

Spoiler

'The Silent Sea' follows a group of space explorers on a mission to an abandoned research station on the moon. Photo courtesy of Netflix

'The Silent Sea' follows a group of space explorers on a mission to an abandoned research station on the moon. Photo courtesy of Netflix

Park also said she does not believe that there is a conscious attempt to give a “uniquely Korean” touch to K-content, which has seen increasing global popularity in the last two decades.

“We live in a culture where you don’t only think about yourself but relationships are very important. And I feel like that element really brings something about K-content that resonates with a wider audience,” she explained.

“It's not really a deliberate process where you think to yourself, ‘I want to bring something that's uniquely Korean into what I create,’” she added.

Jung, who is making his debut as an executive producer, admitted to feeling pressure because of the success of Netflix’s Korean productions, but argued that it was unfair to compare “The Silent Sea” with past titles.

“I think it wouldn’t be fair to say this piece is going to do great because former K-content were so successful,” Jung said.

“Whether or not it will be able to resonate with a global audience, it’s something that we have to wait and see,” he said.

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 images/ videos in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 3