(Yonhap Interview) 'The Silent Sea' actors satisfied with quality of first S. Korean TV sci-fi series

yna1065624913544105_732.jpg
▲ This image provided by Netflix shows a scene from "The Silent Sea." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

(Yonhap Interview) 'The Silent Sea'-actors

(Yonhap Interview) 'The Silent Sea' actors satisfied with quality of first S. Korean TV sci-fi series

SEOUL, Dec. 30 (Yonhap) -- As the global presence of Korean films and TV series has been increasing in recent years, their genres, settings and visual effects have been diversified and improved to a large extent. They range from star-crossed love stories and gangster movies to zombie thrillers and monster horrors, including "Train to Busan" (2016), "Kingdom" (2019) and "Squid Game" (2021).

Among them, however, science fiction has remained untapped due to a limited budget and little demand for science-based stories about robots, spacecraft or interstellar travel.

Starring Bae Doo-na and Gong Yoo, the latest Netflix original "The Silent Sea" is set on the moon where a special team is tasked with finding out the secrets of an abandoned research facility, Balhae Base. It is dubbed the first South Korean TV series set in space.

The series is based on the eponymous 2014 short film directed by Choi Hang-yong, who also took the helm of the eight-part Netflix series.

"I used to think that Korean sci-fi projects were nearly impossible largely because of some practical reasons," Bae said in an online interview with a group of Korean news media outlets on Thursday. "After seeing the director's original short, I was confident that we could make it with him."

Bae takes the role of Song Ji-an, an astrobiologist who joins the team and is determined to uncover the truth behind the accident at Balhae Base.

The 42-year-old actress said it is a big challenge for a Korean production to make a space series without experienced directors, writers and actors as references and with a limited budget.

Her 2012 German American sci-fi film "Cloud Atlas" is based on a renowned novel by British author David Mitchell with a budget of more than US$100 million. In comparison, the production cost of "The Silent Sea" is estimated at 27 billion won ($2 million) at most.

"I'd witnessed how the futuristic world was portrayed in 'Cloud Atlas,'" she said. "Considering the budget difference, I was skeptical about a quality sci-fi film or series in Korea."

Despite the smaller scale of the first space TV project in Korea, she said she is fully satisfied with the outcome of "The Silent Sea." It offers enough suspense and thrill to enrich the story of people from a future Earth suffering an extreme water shortage, she added.

I was fascinated by the way this story creates tension and horror and depicts emotions of characters. So I jumped into this project," she said. "I was so happy when I read one review which said the story goes slowly but builds up suspense gradually at the same time."

Gong Yoo, who plays Han Yun-jae, the exploration team captain who must carry out a crucial mission with limited information, said he was drawn by the genre drama's humanities insights on human survival and choice in the dystopian world.

It is about people struggling with a water shortage on Earth and who dare to go to the moon to get water, but they fall in danger due to the affluent water on the moon, he said.

"It may disappoint those who anticipate a vast expanse of space and a dynamic adventure on the moon," he said in a separate interview held on the same day. "But I think 'The Silent Sea' took the first step and will help other productions make better shows in the future."

https://m.k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=179570744406092

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

[Y Interview②] Gong Yoo of 'Sea of Silence' "Bae Doo-na, keep the center of the work without shaking…Thank you"

Input 2022.01.02. 8:00 am

Modified 2022.01.02. 8:03 am
202201020800018345_d_20220102080302182.jpg?type=w430

▶[Y Interview ①] Following

Gong Yoo’s “Knee damage during filming, I found out about it later…90% recovery” YTN Star: How was the filming with the actors you worked with?

Gong Yoo: I have always thought that Bae Doo-Nara is a very iconic actress. We knew we were the same age, and we thought that we would like to work together someday, but we met in 'Sea of Silence'. Doona is an actress who has a very good attitude toward the actors she works with on set. And Dr. Song Jian is at the center of the work, and I was able to finish it well because Doona held the center without shaking. It was so good and I want to say thank you. And all the other actors have a lot of experience in their respective fields, and I think we were able to get to know each other quickly because they were of the same age. Also, there was a physically difficult part of filming, so I think a friendship developed naturally.

YTN Star: 'Sea of Silence' became a hot topic as actor Jung Woo-sung took charge of the production.

Gong Yoo: He was such a young star, and he was 'you are too far to be close'. I also worked for over 20 years, but I didn't have a chance to get to know him personally, but this time I met him as a producer. He had a lot more passion for his work than I thought, and he knew well what would be beneficial and inconvenient for actors on set because he was an actor. I was moved and learned a lot by taking good care of all the actors. He was an open-minded producer and senior. However, I do wish that there would be no sloppy gags on set (laughs). You keep making gags that you think are fun, but if you do it a little less... (laugh).

YTN Star: What do you think about the ending?

Gong Yoo: It hurts my heart to think of Yunjae. The reason Yoon-jae closed his eyes was not easy because of his daughter who would be left alone on Earth. I am satisfied with the current ending because I thought it was a sad but hopeful ending.

202201020800018345_img_0_20220102080302348.jpg?type=w430

YTN Star: Have you always been very interested in space?

Gong Yoo: I'm not usually very interested in the moon, but if given the opportunity, I definitely want to visit it. I really wanted to feel weightlessness more than before. Although I experienced it indirectly in a drama, I want to feel the real weightlessness, and I want to go and try water and food.

YTN Star: Is there anything different about you after filming 'Sea of Silence'?

Share: When I showered in winter, I turned on some warm water to increase the temperature of the bathroom and then took a shower. But after filming this drama, I turned off the water. It may be a minor point, but I also seem to have a point of change in my life.

YTN Star: What do you think is the message of 'Sea of Silence'?

Sharing: We're talking about humanity. That's what I thought when I first got the script. Moon water on the moon is an essential resource that is currently depleted on Earth. So they went to the moon, but the irony happens when the crew is killed by the water. I took a picture thinking that it is like two sides of a coin. This water was discovered and developed for the survival of mankind, but I had an ambivalent thought that this water could be a forbidden fruit.

YTN Star: Through Netflix, your work has been introduced to the world at the same time and has been evaluated by foreign media, how do you feel?

Gong Yoo: I have been evaluated for over 20 years, but I am always nervous, and at the same time, it feels good. I don't think there is anything special about the evaluation of foreign media. All evaluations are the same. However, I have a desire to be evaluated from a slightly more diverse perspective when receiving evaluations.

YTN Star: Lastly, what kind of year was 2021 and how do you want to spend the coming 2022?

Share: I don't know how it went. These days, I feel like I haven't been able to exercise as much as I used to, so I want to set up my New Year's plan again. I also lead a regular life.
  • Like 2
  • Blob 1

The Silent Sea' tops Netflix's official weekly chart

yna1065624913549520_740.jpg

Netflix series-viewership 

The Silent Sea' tops Netflix's official weekly chart

SEOUL, Jan. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Korean sci-fi horror "The Silent Sea" was the most-viewed non-English TV show over a recent one-week period among those on Netflix, the global video streaming service said Wednesday.

The drama topped Netflix's official weekly chart for non-English TV programs with 47.8 million hours of viewing for the week from Dec. 27-Jan. 2, far outnumbering "The Queen of Flow: Season 2" with 29.5 million hours and "Money Heist: Part 5" with 26.3 million hours.

It marked a remarkable on-week increase in viewership, as it placed third with 22.2 million hours previous week. The eight-part series premiered on Dec. 24.

It is the third Korean-language series that has topped the Netflix's chart for non-English TV shows, following the global sensation "Squid Game" released in September and Yeon Sang-ho's fantasy horror "Hellbound" in November.

Netflix said "The Silent Sea" made the top 10 in the category in 77 countries over the one-week period and topped the list in six nations, including South Korea and Thailand.

Starring Bae Doo-na and Gong Yoo, the latest Netflix original is set on the moon, where a special team is tasked with finding out the secrets of an abandoned research facility, Balhae Base.

https://m.k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=179559343880107

• Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

• lkgy99 changed the title to Gong Yoo 공유 | ★ Upcoming Movie : Wonderland ★
Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival
GUIDE

10 Places to See Gong Yoo Aside From Your Dreams

Including the time he played a 939-year-old goblin.

By Regina KimSHAREJan 6, 2022

Though many Western audiences first learned of Gong Yoo when he played the charming recruiter in Squid Game, he’s actually a veteran A-list actor in South Korea and one of the most recognizable faces of Hallyu (aka the Korean Wave). 

Gong Yoo, whose real name is Gong Ji-chul, started out as a model before landing his first entertainment gig as a VJ for the South Korean K-pop channel Mnet in 2000. He made his acting debut in the 2001 TV series School 4 as a suave student who made girls swoon with his piano-playing skills, killer smile and confident demeanor. Maybe it was his soothing voice, adorable face or obvious ease on camera — or, more likely, a combination of all three — that made viewers take notice of his rising star. 

Over the next several years, he was a supporting actor in various films and TV series and hosted the live music show Music Camp before scoring his first leading role in the SBS K-drama Hello My Teacher in 2005. A highly versatile actor, Gong Yoo has portrayed a wide range of characters throughout his decades-long career, from courageous, self-sacrificing protagonists and goofy romantic leads to kickass action heroes — and everything in between. His gentle masculine charm and effortless charisma have made him one of South Korea’s most sought-after actors. 

As if this six-foot-tall heartthrob couldn’t be any more perfect, it turns out he’s charitable as well. Beloved by his fans for his humble, down-to-earth personality and generosity, he was appointed as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2013 to promote children's rights around the world and, more recently, donated 100 million Korean won (roughly $84,000) to COVID relief efforts. And here’s a fun fact: He’s part of a Korean clan that originated in China and descended from Confucius.

So whether you’re just discovering the wonderful world of Korean entertainment or have long been a hardcore K-drama fan, check out some of Gong Yoo’s most notable films and shows. You’ll understand why audiences across the globe have fallen in love with this multitalented actor.

The Silent Sea (2021)

Netflix’s The Silent Sea, based on director Choi Hang-yong’s 2014 short film The Sea of Tranquility, is South Korea’s first attempt at a sci-fi thriller series set in space. In the not-too-distant future, Earth is dying and a team of astronauts are tasked with retrieving mysterious samples from an abandoned lunar research station. Shortly after embarking on the mission, however, the crew members are mysteriously killed one by one as they race against time to uncover the moon’s deadly secrets. Gong Yoo plays the fearless captain who risks his life multiple times to ensure his crew’s safety.

Squid Game (2021)

This K-drama needs no introduction: The dystopian survival thriller topped Netflix’s Top 10 in more than 90 countries and is the platform’s most-watched series ever. Gong Yoo’s character, a seemingly friendly salesman who recruits unwitting debt-ridden people into the deadly games for a shot at an enormous cash prize, set off a slew of social media memes

Goblin (aka Guardian: The Lonely and Great God) (2016-2017)

Written by the Shakespeare of K-romance Kim Eun-sook (Secret Garden, Heirs, Descendants of the Sun, Mr. Sunshine), Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, better known simply as Goblin, is another milestone K-drama that boosted the visibility of Hallyu. It became a cultural phenomenon in South Korea (and beyond) upon its release and remains one of the highest-rated TV shows in the country’s history. Gong Yoo portrays a 939-year-old dashing and world-weary goblin who’s cursed to wander the earth until he can find his fated human bride — the only one who can put an end to his immortality. Gong Yoo may be at his dreamiest in Goblin, for which he won Best Actor at the prestigious Baeksang Arts Awards (South Korea’s Golden Globes) and became South Korea’s most popular leading man. The show was also widely praised for its soundtrack and sparked international fashion trends.

The Age of Shadows (2016) - Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival

The Age of Shadows (2016)

Though South Korea has produced a ton of movies and series about the Japanese colonial era and the Korean independence movement, The Age of Shadows is one of the more successful works that deals with this dark history. It was directed by acclaimed filmmaker Kim Jee-woon (I Saw the Devil, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life) and stars the legendary actor Song Kang-ho (Parasite, Snowpiercer, The Host), Han Ji-min (The Fatal Encounter, Capital Scandal, Yi San), Shin Sung-rok (My Love from Another Star, Vagabond, Kairos), Heo Sung-tae (Squid Game, The Fortress, The Silent Sea) and, of course, Gong Yoo (as the leader of the Korean resistance). The Age of Shadows was selected as South Korea’s official entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 2017 Oscars.

Train to Busan - Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival

Train to Busan (2016)

South Korea’s first zombie blockbuster, Train to Busan became a global sensation upon its release in 2016 and made Gong Yoo an international movie star. He plays a divorced father who must save himself and his daughter while they’re trapped on a train in the middle of a zombie outbreak. An emotional and uniquely Korean take on a zombie thriller, Train to Busan will make you scream, laugh and cry in the course of just two hours (make sure you have plenty of tissues). Gong Yoo has admitted in interviews that he was genuinely scared of the zombie actors while filming, which probably made his acting all the more convincing.

The Suspect - Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival

The Suspect (2013)

Gong Yoo got ripped for this action-packed film in which he stars as a former North Korean spy who defects to the South to hunt down his wife and daughter’s killer. He finds work as a chauffeur for a wealthy business executive, but when he’s framed for the murder of his boss, he’s forced to run from the law while continuing his quest to avenge his family’s death. Gong Yoo learned the Russian martial art Systema in preparation for his role and even performed his own stunts in the movie. Seriously, is there anything this man can’t do?

Big (2012)

In this hilarious and heartwarming body-swap romcom written by acclaimed K-drama screenwriting duo the Hong sisters, an 18-year-old high school student awakens after a car accident to find himself trapped in the body of his teacher’s 30-year-old fiancé (Gong Yoo). Gong Yoo displays his impressive acting range as he seamlessly morphs from a serious, hard-to-read doctor into a fun-loving adult with the heart and mind of a high schooler. From his dimpled grin to his adorable eye smile and crazy antics, Gong Yoo has never looked cuter. If you ever wanted to see how many different facial expressions he’s capable of, then this show is for you. And we get to hear him sing on the drama’s soundtrack.

Silenced (aka The Crucible) - Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival

Silenced (aka The Crucible) (2011)

Before Hwang Dong-hyuk created Squid Game, he directed another graphic tale, Silenced (available on Netflix), which was even more disturbing than the former because the story was based on actual events. Adapted from author (and Gong Yoo’s distant relative) Gong Ji-young’s best-selling novel The Crucible, which exposed the physical and sexual abuse that took place at the Gwangju Inhwa School for hearing-impaired students, Hwang’s landmark film sparked public outrage in South Korea. It led the Korean government to pass a law abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes against children and the disabled and increasing the maximum penalty for perpetrators to life in prison. In the movie, which marks his first collaboration with Hwang, Gong Yoo plays a kindhearted art teacher who takes on a new job at a school for deaf children and quickly discovers the horrific abuse they endure at the hands of the faculty and administrators. It was actually Gong Yoo’s idea to create the film — he had been so affected by the novel that he convinced its author and Hwang to turn it into a movie, and the rest is history. Who says movies can’t change the world?

Finding Mr. Destiny (2010)

In this laugh-out-loud rom-com, Seo Ji-woo (Im Soo-jung) can’t get over her first love, Kim Jong-wook. In a desperate bid to track down Mr. Kim, her father enlists the help of Han Gi-joon (Gong Yoo), who heads a dating agency that specializes in finding first loves. As Ji-woo and Gi-joon travel all over South Korea in search of the elusive Kim Jong-wook, Gi-joon finds himself falling for his client. Bonus: Gong Yoo sang the film’s theme song, “Second First Love.” 

Coffee Prince - Let’s Have a Gong Yoo Film Festival

Coffee Prince (2007)

Coffee Prince (aka The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince) is a seminal TV series that shaped the trajectory of K-dramas and turned Gong Yoo into a Hallyu star overnight. In his breakout role, Gong Yoo plays Choi Han-kyul, a café owner who develops a crush on his tomboy employee (portrayed by the incomparable Yoon Eun-hye), whom he initially believes is a man, causing him to question his sexuality. The drama was considered revolutionary at the time for addressing homosexuality, a topic that was (and still is, to some extent) taboo in South Korea. South Korea airs more than 100 K-dramas a year, but this one remains a classic. If you’re new to K-dramas, this is a great one to start with — it’s a quintessential example of the earlier days of K-dramas, when romantic comedies were all the rage. Plus, the soundtrack is simply unforgettable. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Like 1

Sign
in
Listen Live

Sign
in

‘The Silent Sea’ is the latest Korean thriller you need to watch

Virgin Radio

10 Jan 2022, 17:48

Credit: Netflix

Credit: Netflix

Netflix has done it again with its latest Korean sci-fi thriller, The Silent Sea, which made the global top three on the streaming platform last week.

The show premiered on 24 December and, according to FlixPatrol, took the number seven spot on its release.

It topped the charts in many Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines on Monday (3 January) and hit the top three in the US shortly after.

The dystopian drama is set in 2075 when the world has been struck by a food and water shortage due to climate change and desertification. In a bid to save the planet, a group of astronauts are sent on a 24-hour mission to the moon to try and retrieve samples from an abandoned research facility and discover classified secrets.

Choi Hang-young, the director, first came up with the idea in 2014 when he released a short film with the same concept.

Speaking about the series adaptation, he said: “There are a lot of space-related movies and series, but not necessarily about the moon.

“Although we live close to the moon, I realized that we aren't well aware of it. This prompted me to shoot a sci-fi drama,"

Starring in The Silent Sea are Korean actors Bae Doo-na and Lee Joon. Appearing alongside them is Squid Game star Gong Yoo, who made his debut on the hit show last year with a brief appearance as the handsome recruiter for the game.

Korean thrillers have been all the rage on Netflix recently with Squid Game smashing records and topping the charts in 94 countries on its release. Dystopian sci-fi drama, Hellbound, also broke records when it became the most-watched series in 80 countries within 24 hours of the show’s release.

The Silent Sea hasn’t had quite the same success, but it is worth the watch, nonetheless.

Watch The Silent Sea on Netflix now.

• Like 2

"SEOBOK" on Blu-ray & Digital 2/15

Published on 2022/01/09 | Source

photo1412957.jpg

"... SLICK AND SLEEK AND WELL-EXECUTED". ~ Brent McKnight, THE LAST THING I SEE

"... AN ENTERTAINING AND COMPELLING SLICE OF KOREAN CHAOS ..." ~ Rob Aldam, BACKSEAT MAFIA

"Gong and Park make a good match in this road trip movie and get to shine in emotional scenes as well as action sequences". ~ Jeanmarie Tan, THE NEW PAPER

"SEOBOK"

The Highly Anticipated Sci-Fi Action Thriller Explodes onto Digital, Blu-ray™ & DVD February 15

A former intelligence agent is assigned to transport the first ever human clone to a new safe location in the spectacular, action-packed thriller "SEOBOK", hitting Digital, Blu-ray™ and DVD February 15 from Well Go USA Entertainment. Because the robotic clone holds the secret to immortality, evil organizations are bent on kidnapping him to extract the dark secret. "Watching Seobok, a superbeing with powers of telekinesis, go all Dark Phoenix on his enemies is right up there with any X-Men movie" (Jeanmarie Tan, THE NEW PAPER). Directed by Lee Yong-ju ("Living Death"), "SEOBOK" stars Gong Yoo ("Train to Busan", "Squid Game"), Park Bo-gum ("Moonlight Drawn by Clouds", "Remember You"), and Jo Woo-jin ("Steel Rain", "The Book of Fish"), plus popular television series stars Jang Young-nam ("It's Okay to Not Be Okay", "My Country: The New Age", "Find Me in Your Memory") and Park Byung-eun ("Arthdal Chronicles", "Queen of Mystery", "Your Honor"). The bonus features include an English dub.

• Like 2

Gong Yoo Drops Out Of Kim Tae Ri’s Upcoming K-Drama “The Devil”

A pity! This visual combination would’ve been epic.

KecmxCK6Iqt5PG03YM6iagLHYS84O-fXrxmejC7p

In late 2021, it was reported that mega star Gong Yoo was in talks to join upcoming K-Drama, The Devil (working title). While he had been considering the flick, a recent update on January 13, 2022, announced that Gong Yoo had decided to drop out of the show.

The show would have been his next work after The Silent Sea, and he would have been set to work opposite domestic darling Kim Tae Ri. However, it was reported that he turned it down in the end. The Devil will be written by star writer, Kim Eun Hee, who’s worked on many hits such as Signal, Kingdom and Sign previously.

As Gong Yoo suddenly turned down this upcoming opportunity, many are wondering if there is a reason such as a better drama on the horizon for him.

Gong Yoo made his name through Coffee Prince and later starred in global sensation, Goblin.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/gongyoo-drop-drama-devil-kim-taeri/

Gong Yoo has reportedly turned down the offer for 'Kingdom' writer Kim Eun Hee's new drama ''Evil"

1642052572-7ujbny2wbruanctpjqoq5j.jpg

Actor Gong Yoo has reportedly turned down an offer for scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee's new drama, 'Evil' (working title).

On January 13 KST, one insider revealed that the drama 'Evil' has begun searching for another actor to take on the male lead role. Previously, it was reported that Gong Yoo had been offered the male lead role and was carefully reviewing his offer.

'Evil' is the new work of scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee, who is known for her highly successful projects such as the tvN drama 'Signal' and the Netflix original series 'Kingdom'. Alongside Gong Yoo, actress Kim Tae Ri was offered the female lead role. 'Evil' recently gathered excitement at the news of a possible star-studded cast lineup of Gong Yoo and Kim Tae Ri. However, according to recent reports, Gong Yoo's casting unfortunately fell apart.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/01/gong-yoo-has-reportedly-turned-down-the-offer-for-kingdom-writer-kim-eun-hees-new-drama-evil

• Like 3

"Blessing to see the photos in itself" Korean actor whose main Netflix Twitter account suddenly revealed his fandom (Picture)

2022-01-13 11:27

add remove print   link

Netflix shows special interest in actor Gong Yoo
“Blessed with shared photos” Fan love for sharing

netflix twitternetflix twitter

Netflix has shown special interest in actor Gong Yoo. The fact that actor Gong Yoo's pictorial was uploaded to the main account on Netflix's Twitter is belatedly drawing attention.

On the 7th (local time), Netflix introduced Gong Yoo's pictorial on its official Twitter.

Gong Yoo appeared in the sci-fi drama 'Sea of Silence', which was recently released on Netflix. Last year, too, he made a surprise appearance as a squid man in 'Squid Game' and collected topics. 'Squid Game' is also a Netflix drama. Through Netflix, the name became widely known to fans around the world.

Even so, it is unusual for Netflix to post a shared pictorial on the main Twitter account and not anywhere else in that it treated Gong Yoo like a world-class star. Netflix has 15 million followers on Twitter.

The article posted by Netflix introducing the pictorial is also terrifying. Netflix said, "Blessing the timeline with these pics of Gong Yoo." Asking Netflix members to be blessed by looking at the handsome Gong Yoo photos.

The shared post has been retweeted 4,296 times as of the 13th. 32,000 members clicked 'Like'. Korean netizens are showing reactions such as "(Netflix) knows something", "He's my man", and "foreigners also line up".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...