Please Help Me! Thread!

Admin

Thanks @40somethingahjumma . I rarely watch c dramas. But recently binge watched General & I ( loved the romance & beautiful costumes , though they could have cut out down some episodes!) . Ever since then I have been intrigued by these historical ones. Looking for something good & given your recommendation, I will check out both. 

@40somethingahjumma @triplem  Like with triplem I love the romance,  costumes, fantasy and beauty about those style of shows.  I was originally chasing office dramas, revenge dramas or exciting dramas that had a high level of romance and happy endings but I ran out of those fast, so i switched to chinese dramas and fantasy.  But there in lies the issue alot of the dramas you now find do not have all or part if subtitled and I cant understand either chinese or korean so that again limits the choices.  But i continue to have a look thou and check out your suggestions.

I agree with the general & I, the last 12 episodes action wise were pretty impressive, but the other parts dragged on abit and got dull waiting for the storyline to speed up a bit.  I almost stopped watching it when they said the lead actor got criticised for his use of stunt double, but then realised why should that affect if i watch it or not, i wasnt dissappointed.

• Like 1

Okay a really strange question here, but i am trying to work out the drama's and confused about the respect issue.  How do you address people and what level of respect are you suppose to show in korea for:

- someone who is older than you in the same industry you are working in or same office

- someone who is younger than you but has more experience in the same industry you are working in.

There seems to be minor differences at times with culture and this one I am constantly confused about, Your suppose to respect your seniors yes, but what if they are not as experienced or younger than you......hmmm *scratches my head*

On 10/03/2018 at 12:26 PM, fragglerock said:

Okay a really strange question here, but i am trying to work out the drama's and confused about the respect issue.  How do you address people and what level of respect are you suppose to show in korea for:

- someone who is older than you in the same industry you are working in or same office

- someone who is younger than you but has more experience in the same industry you are working in.

There seems to be minor differences at times with culture and this one I am constantly confused about, Your suppose to respect your seniors yes, but what if they are not as experienced or younger than you......hmmm *scratches my head*

For your question, I will direct you to our Korean expert & translator @stroppyse

@triplem Thank you for referring me on,  it is one thing watching drama's or shows even music shows or interviews but respect is such a huge part of the culture that sometimes I cant understand if they are being rude and disrespectful or not.  I have watched the love & war series and was at a shock at the end of each episode what is exceptible and what isnt.  Things i thought were trivial were huge and things i thought were dismissive and petty were grounds for divorce and i was like wow.  This will help me work out the drama's

@stroppyse Thank for in antipication of any assistance.  I find myself getting confused regardless if its Kdrama or my favourite kpop group etc

If someone is senior to you in the same industry  you are working in or same office, or another group etc in comparison to

If someone is senior to you in the same industry but has less experience, your younger and you know more than them.

If someone is Junior to you in the same industry but yet has more experience than you does the same level of respect apply?

Example

Will use Kpop groups etc for an easy example.  Your suppose to respect your seniors at all times, but if you debuted earlier than another group have more experience than they do, but singers of the group are older.

And oppose if a group is younger than yours in age but they have more experience between them than your group does, does the level of respect change?  Or is it strictly based on age not experience or both or does it depend on the circumstances.

@stargazer187 @stroppyse  Thank you both for helping, I have actually noticed what is said and what is translated in dramas very different.  Sometimes calling someone honey for example they use the "sons name - father" term, or when a persons name is called sometimes teacher or title is used and originally i was scratching my head over things like that.  I figured it was a cultural respect issue.

But where it stood out the strongest was on Kpop shows and interviews they refer to the seniors and juniors which is fine and then i realised say for BTS or EXO, they are still young, but if they meet say a group thats not as well known but the ages are alot older than them, which is respected more, EXO & BTS for their experience in the industry or the inexperienced group with the senior members.

I realised this is starting to get very confusing.  Some words of korean i slowly work out due to repetition.  But now instead of wanting to speak korean i want to at least be able to hear korean and understand what they are saying.  So that is my next goal.

Reason I dont want to learn korean is OMG i am australian and 5th generation if not more and i still can butcher the english language. 

There is a formality in speaking any language (my heritage is german) and even i wont dare go there i will get strange looks from people wondering what on earth I am talking about.

But no in revenge dramas specficially their is usually insults flying and its hard to work out if the lack of formality was the insult or the actual words itself.

For Example  I was looking up some idols from the recent Reboot program and both Boyfriends Donghyun & Ukiss Jun were speaking casually apparently which sparked how close were they, turns out it was over 5 years.  But to me listening to translated or untranslated dialogue it seemed a normal casual conversation.  But thats because we dont have those same formalities.  So hence i wanted to get clarification.

Another example:  The unit reboot program has idols from various groups and some of them are better known than others, Donghyun, Seyong, Jeup, Timoteo etc.  But the debut date of the idols groups are different, some may have had more tour experience than others even if all the groups are still active.  So who gets seniority is it age or debut date/experience etc. 

So its very much appreciated, and its appreciated that that @triplem  Threw you under the bus to help.....LOL....much appreciated.

@stroppyse  WOW thank you ever so, will digest this slowly again in the morning as its alot to absorb and its way past my bedtime here (Aussie time its like 3.20 in the morning, and i am still up......lol)

This is the convo that apparently raised the question (Starts at 1.30 on the first link) and both ended up answering this a month or so ago on their respective Vlive.  It seems pretty casual to me however I am not korean and not understanding the culture.  Where as Donghyun is like 7 or 9 years older than Jun, from what i can work out Jun really respects Donghyun or Jun seems like him more like an older brother if i am reading both of these clips correctly.  But cant be sure.

The second clip is of The finale of the reboot in which jun gets in but his Donghyun doesnt but appears to take it in his stride but body language tells me he jun is like big baby being suprised by the result...lol and really wants to be close to Donghyun and the way that Donghyun is reasuring him.  It could be just me but it seems that Donghyun is extremely attached to jun as well, well okay not as much as jun in this situation....lol  its a really sweet n very cute clip when i saw it for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g7vVlf4sus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNssXTP7kGw

@stroppyse  OMG wow thats alot of translation and alot of work, thank you ever so much for that.  So did not expect that.  But yes the casual conversation is what i noticed and is normal for people around me but not from what I have seen in korean culture.  I mean i have followed BTS for years and they always say they are brothers but yet always use hyungnim or familiar terms like that with each other.  Nothing like with these two.

From what i know of the story, Jun was introduced to Donghyun and each time they would meet Jun would go to hold Donghyun hand which he was not familiar with.  It wasnt until he questioned Jun as to why that Jun stopped and must of been upset over the question but Donghyun said that he noticed he stopped and he missed it.  Now unless something goes on that i have not seen over the years then Jun must of taken a liking to Donghyun instantly for them to be like that which is sweet.

I noticed the difference if you compare the feeling with Hojung and timo they are both each others members and while close and both comforting each other its not the same feeling as watching Donghyun & Jun.  It gives the feeling of a parent comforting an upset child and the child cling on not wanting to let go.  Thats the best analogy I can think of watching them.

So in short it is the body language but that can be subtle depending on the observer its actually what is and isnt said like with the eating of the choco pie etc. Donghyun wasnt phased about him being in the room and infact quite comfortable with it, and jun curled up like a younger brother eager to see what he is up to.  Gives a warm feeling, I like looking for that in drama's as well.  

The only drama recently to give me that same feeling is the two main good characters of Mad Dog.  They are bonded through grief but for me watching it was more about each others need for family and to deal with the grief.  One lost his family and found a younger type brother to look out for.  The other lost a brother and never had the warmth of family.

Chief Kim also gives a familiar style vibe as well, its a love hate but no one else can get in there between them.  They want it to be just about themselves. 

On 3/1/2018 at 5:09 AM, fragglerock said:

@triplem @USAFarmgirl @angelangie

Okay found these three period drama's all look rather okay or funny not sure, struggling to find with english subtitles but thought i would throw them out to ya incase you know of any other sites I dont.  Or know if they are half decent to watch.

- Oh My General

- Colourful Bone

- Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Clouds of Han

@fragglerockI found your comment because I was searching to see if there is a thread for Colourful Bone - there isn't a thread on soompi that I can find. I just happened upon it and started to watch it  with English subs and thoroughly addicted. I love it.  

@maddymappo  I like you stuggle with some of the drama's, they are few and far between with subtitles unfortunately.  This forum is the best place to start searching for them however not everything will be here either.  I was stumbling for a few new ones or different ones at the time and found these three however subtitles again was an issue.  It sounds like someone is gettting to them as they are fairly recent.

Glad you are enjoying them.  Will get to having a look at them.  At the moment I am back to my romantic crime drama and find myself yet again floating between Mad Dog, Whisper, tunnel & your all surrounded.  Of course cant forget advance bravely as thats an awesome drama as well.

But since my frustration I have actually starting to teach myself Hangul.  Will take me some time but even if i can read korean and not speak it will be happy at least.

I have a question for someone who speaks korean.  I know the word for fool is pabo.  However in alot of drama's now i am hearing the same word constantly, but translated it means jerk, idiot, bast**rd, moron.  I am actually curious what is the actual meaning of the word. 

All of those have exactly the same effect but i am curious what the actual meaning is suppose to be thou.

• Like 1

@fragglerock Of the ones you listed I happened upon Colourful Bone web drama with subs recently and as of episode 8 still enjoying it. Thomas Tong Meng Shi is holding my interest - he has a great deal of charisma.

Over the years I have never been able to discipline myself to learn hangul,  - lazy me. But I do understand more and more and even dream in it. I wonder what I am telling myself? :grin:

Not sure if anyone can help me here but hopefully someone could put the answer in a spoiler or email.  But the series advance bravely ended at season 2.  Firstly Do you know if there is a season 3?  and Secondly if you have read the book how does it end with the boys?  The hospital scene seems unended......

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaaaaaaack!!!  LOL

Yes I have come across another strange drama, I am trying to get into these fantasy/wuxia drama's but some of them go on very long or have strange plots or kill one of the main cast at the end which sadly puts me off watching most of them.

However I have come across a really strange one, looks that strange its funny and I really would like to see it with english subtiltes I beleive it only goes for like 12 episodes.  Does anyone know if fake pheonixes was ever translated into english??

I NEED HELP FINDING A DRAMA: Not 100% sure but I saw it on TV awhile back. The guy has some sort of Anxiety disorder or something and he can't leave his room. There are two Angels ( Kind of ) who came to tell him how much time he has left to live. The drama has a funny tone to it.

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Sometimes you can find it on social media, the official websites or on Naver. :)

Are you looking for a particular drama?

i am waiting for a drama that will be airing in late May because my fanbase will be sending a rice wreath but because its my first time encountering JTBC's drama so i'm not really sure how to find out the press conference date and venues...