[THE OFFICIAL] Chi Yeol 치열 Thread

ss5o1em

Just want to share my thoughts on last week's performance in Wo Shi Geshou. I am probably in the minority. I dunno. I just want him to win with a ballad so bad :confounded:. I thought his performance deserved higher ranking than Joey's. Because while Joey's dance moves was quite something, the song was too boring.  

Week 9: Hwang Chi Yeul - You Are Just at a Place Higher Than Me.

Performing second, he was back to emotional rendition of a ballad song. This song holds a special meaning to me when it comes to Hwang Chi Yeul. It was, as far as I recall, the very song that has brought my attention back to him after I Can See You Voice and successfully thrown me to a point of no return to Hwang Chi Yeul fandom. The song was his performance for Immortal Songs 2 that earned him the title and trophy Super Rookie for the Super Rookie Showdown episode. It was not his first appearance in Immortal Songs 2, and not really his first win (He won a trophy in earlier appearance for song "Father"), but until that episode, I had no idea he was even in Immortal Songs 2. I was not a dedicated IS2 follower, but was chanced upon that particular episode while browsing youtube. Since then, I had backtracked all the way to his first appearance and kept checking the IS2 guest list to see if his in (him or Moon Myungjin. haha).

Back to his performance in I Am A Singer, he again presented a vocally and emotionally powerful performance. Like his performance in IS2, he put his heart and soul into the singing. I don't even know if tears were there on his face amidst a real sweaty face. He sounded a little pitchy at the last stretch but other than that, his vocal was really steady and melodic, despite the background music that seemed a little not in par with his delivery or dreary. I dunno, it could be the same old problem of poor audio output for TV.

Despite other singers' managers gave him top recommendations for first place, he was voted fourth place by the audience, with the winner of the round goes to Jeff Chang. And this is where I found it interesting. I wonder if Chinese audience really prefers Jeff Chang style of singing, because there were times when I was bored with his performances, but he was ranked quite decent. He has this singing style that is very calm that pierces through not matter what he sings, which is pretty much the complete opposite of Hwang Chi Yeul's style. Like in this particular episode, even when the background singers and music seem too overpowering, his voice cut through above it all with this calm voice and tone. It was quite amazing to be honest, given the circumstances, but still sounded pretty boring to me for a stage performance. For a CD though, his voice is perfect!

Having said that, it would do Chiyeul good to apply the advice from Shin Seung Hun to him in Healing Camp on how to perform ballad that can overwhelm the audience without forcing out too much. He compared that with an actor potraying a sad scene. He who wants to cry but holds back tears versus he who bawls his eyes out that can turn off the viewers. That is to say, there are more than one way to engage audience with ballad other than excessive emotions. I understand that is probably Chiyeul's style, his way of giving it all on stage, which I love dearly and appreciate. But for the sake of this competition, I think it is worth for him to analyze what the audience wants, and not just what he wants to give.

(Side note: I thought if anyone other than Chiyeul should ranked first this episode, it should be Coco Lee. She showed amazing vocals and energetic performance)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nikaidou said:

Just want to share my thoughts on last week's performance in Wo Shi Geshou. I am probably in the minority. I dunno. I just want him to win with a ballad so bad :confounded:. I thought his performance deserved higher ranking than Joey's. Because while Joey's dance moves was quite something, the song was too boring.  

@nikaidou I was surprised at Joey's ranking last week too, she did better than I expected. Agree that HCY was singing his heart out but with his stellar performance for Bang Bang Bang & Honey, I guess the audience were expecting more? I love his ballads, I love how he can portray his emotions and get his feelings through even without me understanding a single word. However, I have to say, personally I prefer his fast numbers a little more. His music arrangement of the James bond theme/Bang bang bang & Honey/Michael Jackson was  flawless to me. It has that element of surprise & drama that gives him the edge over the rest of the singers. I am no music expert, it just my 2 cents worth. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jenbuns said:

@nikaidou I was surprised at Joey's ranking last week too, she did better than I expected. Agree that HCY was singing his heart out but with his stellar performance for Bang Bang Bang & Honey, I guess the audience were expecting more? I love his ballads, I love how he can portray his emotions and get his feelings through even without me understanding a single word. However, I have to say, personally I prefer his fast numbers a little more. His music arrangement of the James bond theme/Bang bang bang & Honey/Michael Jackson was  flawless to me. It has that element of surprise & drama that gives him the edge over the rest of the singers. I am no music expert, it just my 2 cents worth. :)

I love him in any genre to be honest coz he's so versatile. I can even replay his impromptu shrimp cracker commercial song hundred times. haha. But since he claims himself as a ballad singer, I just wish for his sake that he can win at least once with a ballad song.

Element of surprise/shock factor was just about what I lamented on when commenting on his Week 8's performance:

Week 8: Hwang Chi Yeul - Honey

Hwang Chi Yeul challenged himself again with a dance number. He performed fourth, this time with a cover of JYP's Honey. Well, not as exciting as Bang Bang Bang for me, but it did have a solo dance part that drove the audience wild. I suspect that I have to be part of the real time audience to truly appreciate this particular performance. There's high probability that the audio quality (always the case since episode 1) and the poor video editing for TV makes it less wholesome. That aside, I actually enjoyed the audience's reaction to him, especially Lala and Jeff Chang's manager, who drooled and all. haha. Now that was hilarious.

This performance brought him back to top spot, after Bang Bang Bang. Two wins, both through dancing. I personally felt a little sad that his identity as a balladeer has yet to gain the highest spot it deserves in the competition. He was so close to it with his first and second appearances, earning 2nd place for both. And as far as shock factor and curiosity scale where the audience is concerned to gain votes, those early episodes were as good as it gets. By now, I am afraid people are getting tired of his seemingly repetitive style of delivery in ballad songs. Which is why he seems to receive more votes in non-ballad category. 

Nevertheless, I hope he will continue to revolutionize himself as a singer and gain more votes in upcoming episodes.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, nikaidou said:

Just want to share my thoughts on last week's performance in Wo Shi Geshou. I am probably in the minority. I dunno. I just want him to win with a ballad so bad :confounded:

I'm with u on this. Yes I think his dance moves are fantastic and flawless, and it's amazing his voice doesn't shake or waver with all those jumping and dancing. But it is his ballad songs that seems to be able to draw all the emotions and feels from me, despite not understanding the words. His voice is just so amazing. 

• Like 3