Pretty Women In Traditional Asian Clothing

Guest bubbles20

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest soccerbud

Chinese

qipao can not be really considered as Chinese tradtional dress since it was heavlily influenced by western design/ideas.

Anyways ...

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

z122.jpg

z123.jpg

Guest catalyst

Han Fu (汉服, hànfú)

2005751927368102ef.jpg

029ma.jpg

153kv.jpg

image7114285jv.jpg

Men's Han Fu:

044jpg0aj.jpg

qq56770com2005215206063bt.gif

Han Fu (汉服, hànfú), clothing worn by the Han Chinese ethnic group.

The Han Chinese were forced to adopt the Manchu style of dress, the Qi Pao and the Tang Zhuang, by the Manchu when they took over governance in China and set up the Qing Dynasty. The ruling Manchus forced the Han Chinese men to adopt the Manchu hairstyle (the pigtail) and Manchu-style clothing.

There was enormous resistance to these policies, especially against the pigtail, which required shaving the entire top front half of the head, as Chinese tradition dictated that removing hair was against filial piety because one received one's hair from one's parents. Popular uprisings flared up immediately but were put down brutally via massacres occurring at Yangzhou and Jiading.

Enforcement of the policies was swift, brutal, and effective and thus Han Fu was droven into obscurity.

This is just a little information regarding the history of the Han Fu, and why it is so unknown.

Partially sourced from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese_clothing

Recently in 2002 and 2005 for Miss Earth and in 2003 Miss Asiapacific, Korea has won the National Costume awards. There's also Miss World, etc, but I'm too tired to search for the lists.

They can be elaborated with different fabric and shape variations according to occasions.

Yes, the hanbok IS shapeless at the waist. And what's wrong with maternity clothes? What the hell is a woman supposed to wear when pregnant? A midriff baring top? Hanbok is supposed to hide a woman's figure modestly, rather than flaunt it. Men usually don't find it appealing for this reason, but I think that it is subtly elegant and tasteful in its own right, as reflected by the public consensus in the Costume Awards. I'm

you may want to re-check those stats. i was pretty sure sarang kim did not win the miss universe title because i remembered reading an interview with her in an american magazine and i would have noticed if she'd won. so i went to missuniverse.org and checked it out... i don't think korea's ever won. maybe once or twice at most, but certainly not 2001.

but i agree with you in trying to get the word out about the appeal of the hanbok. it's not SUPPOSED to be flashy, heavily ornamented, or in-your-face sexy with leg slits and cleavage cutouts. a good hanbok is simple and ladylike. i'm reminded of korean celadon pottery as a comparison. the beauty of it comes from its elegant forms and subtle color. it's not inset with jewels and flashy metals, nor is it ornate and heavy and incredibly colorful, like much chinese pottery. (sorry, my parents are in the asian antiques business.) when it comes to korean art and clothing, beauty often lies in subtlety and clean lines. i like the hanbok bsu posted as the best example, but i have some pics of celebs wearing hanbok that i'll post here:

(not really a great hanbok pic, but KHS is so gorgeous, must post!!!)

i like those pics because the simplicity and feminine colors of the hanbok accentuate the women's beauty. and the hair is always pulled back, so it's really about the face.

but if you prefer lots of ornamentation, koreans do that too! and it looks great:

also, here are a few pics of hanbok styles i haven't really seen IRL -- fur-lined vests and some hat. i like the vests. jeon jihyun's hanbok is cute, but strikes me as kinda boyish.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

whoa! i love traditional clothing....i wish people would make the effort to wear traditional clothes more often. there is something so elegant and personal about it. my favorite is the han fu, hands down!

ME TOO!!!

Guest cherrie.7

whoaa.. so much chinese ones. i think the korean ones are nice..it does resemble a maternity dress but i dont think its the ugliest thing as someone said. =T. especially in goong,they truely bring out the beauty of the hanboks. some of the vietnamese ones are nice too

Guest la_deese

omg...i lub all those outfit

specially those tradiional chinese ones

o by the way

dun the viet hav another type of traditinal clothin other then ao dai

ao thu tham or sumthin? <-- yes my viet is horrible -_-

Guest catalyst

The thing I don't like about vietnamese traditional clothes and some chinese is that is looks like prom dresses from the 80s and 90s. It looks more modern then the kimono and hanbok, but looks like it could have been made 20 years ago. do you guys know what i mean?

and is it just me or does vietnamese clothing look chinese?

Many traditional costumes of Asian countries, such as the kimono and hanbok, are heavily influenced by Han Fu. The Vietnamese ao dai is based on Chinese imperial clothing.

I personally prefer the Han Fu to any other costume, my second choice will have to be the hanbok and after that, the kimono.

Guest White Star

omg...i lub all those outfit

specially those tradiional chinese ones

o by the way

dun the viet hav another type of traditinal clothin other then ao dai

ao thu tham or sumthin? <-- yes my viet is horrible -_-

it's ao tu than.... but that's only the northerner custome.....doesn't aplly to ALL women

some of the pic

hannoi1nc.jpg

ao dai` --- NEW YEAR attire to be exact

tncd370cover4wh.jpg

Guest bubbles20

Korea has won the best national costume award in the Miss Universe pagent more then any other country. I like it, although shapeless, because it looks traditional and is elegant, etc.

The thing I don't like about vietnamese traditional clothes and some chinese is that is looks like prom dresses from the 80s and 90s. It looks more modern then the kimono and hanbok, but looks like it could have been made 20 years ago. do you guys know what i mean?

and is it just me or does vietnamese clothing look chinese?

the actual traditional chinese dress (hanfu) was never in the pageant i dont thikn so its always been a misconception in the west that the traditonal chinese dress is the qipao when its not

how does the chinese traditioanl dress look like its made in the 80s or 90s?

the hanfu is not modern at all

n the hanbok and kimono and ao dai were all heavily influenced by the chinese

hence the similiarities

Archived