Han Ji Min 한지민 ♥️♥️♥️ - [Newest Drama] Hip/Behind your Touch [Netflix]; [Upcoming 2024 Drama] Acquaintances/Between Greetings[SBS]

richelle

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richelle

• tok-soompi

• neih212

• minnie91

Both are historical dramas. I am not that fond of sageuks. I actually only watched some parts of han ji min in yi san. I find sageuks a bit bloody and violent lol.

^miss baek is really hard to promote commercially but i do hope it will have good reviews and will be shown overseas in different film festivals. Usually indie films do well on film festivals and may ji min be commended for her acting. Excited for BIFF tomorrow:wub: May there be a lot of good souls to translate the videos and interviews:D

• Like 2

A really nice interview. She worked hard so i hope Miss Baek will be successful. Question, is ji min an actual smoker or not, just curious:)

Han Ji Min On Dealing With Expectations That Actresses Always Look Beautiful, No Matter Their Role

Oct 4, 2018
by S. Park

Han Ji Min shared her thoughts about common expectations that actresses always look beautiful, regardless of their character.

She stars in the new film “Miss Baek” as the protagonist Baek Sang Ah, who became a convict after trying to protect herself. It follows her fight to protect a child who is similar to her (played by Kim Si Ah) from the cruel world.

After reading the script, Han Ji Min’s concerns weren’t about if she could pull off this character. She explained, “After seeing the script, I asked if I got the script because I received an offer for this role or if the agency found a good script and gave it to me. It was different from the offers I had gotten in the past. I thought it was strange and asked, ‘Did this really come for me?'”

She continued, “I woke up in the middle of the night and read the script for ‘Miss Baek.’ I think I felt it emotionally because of the time, but it felt like something that could be happening right now. I first felt sorry for Sang Ah and Ji Eun because of the situations they endured at a young age. I wanted to embrace them as an adult. Instead of questioning whether or not I could portray this, I first thought, ‘I really want to see this film.'”

Han Ji Min’s appearance as Baek Sang Ah is surprising from the get-go. She squats as she smokes a cigarette, grits her teeth while mopping the floor of a car wash, and drinks soju during the day at a restaurant. She also takes a child who’s been kicked out of her home to a cart bar instead of a police station and smokes next to her.

Some may see this and describe Han Ji Min as looking “ugly,” but she stated, “Being ugly and acting are different.”

She explained, “Even when I was on ‘Familiar Wife,’ I heard a lot of people say, ‘Is it okay for you to appear that ugly?’ No matter what the medium, female characters always appear beautiful. Because of the way dramas and films are, there aren’t many opportunities for female characters to show something. It’s not easy for a female character to be rough around the edges in a drama. It’s important to relate to female viewers, but it’s also important to give viewers vicarious satisfaction. So when a character doesn’t have the positive qualities of a traditional female character, the word ‘ugliness’ is frequently used.”

Appearance is another way of expressing the character’s personality, so it’s something that requires a lot of thought. Han Ji Min stated, “It was like that for Baek Sang Ah and during ‘Familiar Wife.’ I thought a lot about how to best showcase my character’s situation and emotions. But they’d say I ‘left beauty behind’ if I didn’t wear makeup, or they’d use the phrase ‘despite looking ugly’ if I shouted.”

She continued, “It might be because there are many occasions for me to look fancy at official events as an actress. But thinking ‘How will I look?’ while acting is the most distracting thing. Viewers also have high standards, so they notice immediately when an actor looks different from their character. The emotions are also conveyed right away.”

Han-Ji-Min-.jpg

One of the questions that Han Ji Min received the most after the reveal of “Miss Baek” was about smoking. In the film, Baek Sang Ah is a heavy smoker, so Han Ji Min smokes throughout the film.

Han Ji Min said she expected this question and added with a laugh, “I prepared a form answer. Do you want to hear it? I expected the issue of smoking or ‘ugliness’ from the start of the film.”

She said, “I understand that viewers will be curious about an actress smoking and I’m sure they’re curious about whether or not I’m a smoker in real life. But this kind of information doesn’t help before watching ‘Miss Baek.’ I just tried my best with each action and gesture as Baek Sang Ah. I want to hope that the viewers who watch the film will evaluate me just based on the film.”

She concluded, “I do worry that the image I showed on ‘Miss Baek’ might harm the past image I showed the public as Han Ji Min, but I approached it as showing a new appearance as an actress and not as breaking away from my existing image. I’ve never had a rough image, so I thought that it might show my acting skills even better. I worked hard so that the public could watch ‘Miss Baek’ and think, ‘Wow. Han Ji Min worked hard.'”

“Miss Baek” premiered in theaters on October 3.

• Like 2

It's been a very long time since I participated in HJM's discussion here. :)

About the smoking thing, in another interview, HJM said she doesn't smoke anymore and it was simply because of Miss Baek. However, she believed that smoking affected her voice in Familiar Wife.

I recently watched Padam Padam again and it's true that her voice was different (more high-pitched) but through the years I realized her voice just naturally became much deeper which was very evident in her cameo in Jealousy Incarnate. Her current voice sounds sexy and very different than the typical high pitched Korean Actresses. I like it a lot. 

• Like 3

@raynsity i agree, her voice and tone is much better. I hope she is not a smoker or she did stop. I don't have anything againts smokers but for the sake of her health, i hope she did stop. But smoker or not, she will still be my only bias. Can't wait for her hosting event for BIFF tomorrow:wub: i want to watch padam padam again. I miss her in a melodrama and with her sunbae jws:)

• Like 2

she first has experienced a smoking scene in a movie, if i'm not wrong it was The Fatal Encounter. In that movie, her smoking role a bit awkward or shall i say not too convincing enough. so that's why i assume at the moment she's not smoking. in Miss Baek, the character is a heavy smoker and in the interview, she said she had to try many of cigarettes and probably try many ideas to make her role more realistic and convincing enough. but we don't know if she's continue smoking after taking that role in miss baek, well that's up to her, in it's her private things. same as you @richelle, i don't really care if she's a smoker or not right now. And i bet she knows how to take care of her health, also i believe her good nature comes from her good family that influence her way of life.

here is HJM and Kim Nam Gil in red carpet BIFF 2018 (credit to the owner)

i know hosting in Korea awards and festivals has a different format compare to America's or Europe's. in my opinion, Korean quite "formal" or should i say too stiff, well perhaps it's because of the culture. but when many articles came out, as they're saying that they waited for the synergy between the 2 hosts (HJM & KNG) in biff, i got a bit confused, what they have to expect?? so i decided to watch an opening ceremony in BIFF 2017 and learn how is it going, since i've never watch this Korea prestigious international film festival. it was hosted by jang dong gun and yoo na, i was correct, it's the same as any other awards, and it's got worse when JDG and Yoo Na even didn't have eye contact at all :fearful:  that can make the audience at least feel at ease to watch the entire opening, even there was an awkwardness in the red carpet.:expressionless:

so at first i was wondered how it goes to HJM, and i was quite relieved, they were completely the opposite compare to previous hosts. :smiley: at least they chatted a bit as they walked.

• Like 3

Now i wish this two can act in a drama or film together.  Haha!

Credit to author

Ji min at asia award and naver press and go.  This girl when she is busy she is really busy then when she is quiet, she is really quiet.

Credit to ji min ig

Credit to author
Spoiler

Ji min attending the radio show:

Credit to author

• Like 3

i think han ji min really change a lot. she used to be shy when she was asked to dance or sing, right now she is having fun to whatever the interviewer ask.:grin:

@tok-soompi agree, they should do a project together. :lol:

11 hours ago, rubie said:

Source: BH Entertainment (@bh_ent twitter is active again)

i wonder if BH understaff or else?!? when i try to look for news update, it turns out they never update their website, however they quite active in social media. unlike other agency they manage their website pretty good. imo, main website is necessary because it has actors/actresses' profile or resume. so, quite disappointed with BH, they neglect that kind of thing, especially when they keep having new actors/actresses to their agency.-_-
  • Like 2

I agree to both of you, ji min and kim nam gil do look good together. It seems based on the videos and pics, they get along well. Ji min has been really cheerful and glowing these days.

That dance with the host is really funny, is that beer she's drinking lol. I don't know but i have not seen ji min as funny before but now having watched her in familiar wife, i really do appreciate her comedic timing. Nearly all korean actresses can do melo but when it comes to being funny, only a handful is good. And she is one of those. She needs to do another romcom drama. Come to think of it, if she will accept the time bending drama, where a 70 year old will be stacked in a 24 year old body, just imagining it and i am already laughing. Ji min will be effective for sure:lol: i hope she will not take a long vacation again.

• Like 2

Yes, unfortunately BH Ent is extremely understaffed. It's been a  situation realized for many years by fans. The agency works hard in getting good offers, acting jobs and endorsements for the artistes but never been up-to-date with fans-related management. We win some, we lose more.

October 6, 2018

Bleak New Film Marks Drastic Change for Actress Han Ji-min

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Han Ji-min departs from her usual sweet and happy image to star in a new film about child abuse to be released next week.

In "Miss Baek," Han appears with disheveled hair, dry lips, pasty skin, and empty eyes to portray the pain and misfortune experienced by her character. 

2018100600374_0.jpg

It was not easy for her to play the role because it meant more than changing her looks. She had to find and bring out sides of herself she may not have been used to.

"I thought very hard about how to portray this role well, right down to the smallest detail. I tried hard to learn about child abuse as much as possible," Han said.

Since her debut in 2003, Han has usually played characters with a lovely and sprightly personality.

"I'm no longer afraid of doing something that's far from what the public expects from me," she said. "Some people want to see a certain type of role from me, and others want to see something else. If I can't satisfy either side, then perhaps the right thing to do is to give a good performance in whatever role I play."

• Like 3

@rubie what do you think? Is it better if han ji min stayed with SM C&C or BH has done more good to her career? I agree BH is not that active in promoting their stars but they had helped ji min more in terms of exposure to movies. As you said, we win some but we lose more lol. I just hope miss baek will do decently in the box office and good reviews i wish:D Ji min is not getting any younger so she need to pick wisely be it drama or movies.

Han Ji Min Shares Why She Doesn’t Like One Of Her Old Films Anymore + Her Scary Movie Picks

Oct 6, 2018
by S. Koh

Han Ji Min visited the V Live show “Actor & Chatter” to talk about scary movies.

On October 5, Han Ji Min sat down with MC Park Kyung Lim on the show, which was being filmed in Busan. The actress looked back at the time she filmed the movie “The Cut” in 2007. She commented, “I used to like the movie a lot in the past but now I don’t like to watch it.” As for her reason why, she stated, “I dream often and those images stay in my memory.”

Han Ji Min continued, “When I was filming back then, I wasn’t scared. It’s probably because I was young.” She then smiled and said, “But now, I get scared at night.”

han-ji-min-2.jpeg

When asked what she thinks are the scariest movies, Han Ji Min answered, “I would have to pick ‘The Ring’ and the ‘Whispering Corridors’ series.”

• Like 2