Han Ji Min 한지민 ♥️♥️♥️ - [Newest Drama] Hip/Behind your Touch [Netflix]; [Upcoming 2024 Drama] Acquaintances/Between Greetings[SBS]

richelle

From nei212. So she accepted the drama mainly because of kim hye ja. I noticed that han ji min accepts a role even if she is only a supporting role depending on who she will be working and if the role is something that appeals to her. It is always a great honor to work with veteran and great actresses:wub:

• Like 3

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richelle

• tok-soompi

• neih212

• minnie91

I am posting the whole interview. A long interview worth reading. It is fate that Han ji min gets to act in this film:wub:

Han Ji-min is a South Korean actress who first gained mainstream attention with her performance in 2005 Korean TV series Ressurection. She continued a successful TV career, starring in some of the K-drama world favourites – Yi San, Padam Padam, Rooftop Prince, and Hyde Jekyll, Me. At the same time, she started building a successful career as an actress of the silver screen, with her most memorable roles including the femme fatale Han Kaek-ju in Detective K: Secret of the Virtuous Widow (2011), Queen Jeong-sun in The Fatal Encounter (2014) and most recently, as Yeon Gye-soon, a spy for the resistance in the acclaimed period action thriller The Age of Shadows (2016), which was directed by Kim Jee-won.

At the 3rd London East Asia Film Festival, Han Ji Min won the Best Actress Award for a role that is unlike any of her previous characters – that of a gritty ex-convict Baek Sang-ah who, after having lived the toughest of lives, shuts herself off from the world, but then finds herself unable to walk away when she encounters a small girl who is a victim of domestic abuse.

In a stark contrast to the grim, realistic hues that rule the film she stars in, we sat down for an interview with Han Ji-min on a sunny afternoon, which seemed to reflect her bright personality. The interview took place right before she had to attend the screening of Miss Baek, and we talked about her role in the film and also the wonderful work that she’s been doing as a volunteer, involved in various charities, which deservedly earned her the title of a UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador.

MV5BMDVkYzA1NzAtMGY2ZC00MzU0LWFjYmQtNjY1NWRhODM2YjczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcyMjQ4MzU@._V1_
photo995889

Let’s start with your latest role in Miss Baek. Your character in this film is very different from your previous roles. What drew you to this project in the first place?

When I choose to do a character, or a certain film, it’s always for a different reason. For this film, when I read this script, I thought to myself, this girl – or rather, this woman – looks really strong and tough from the outside, but she’s not really either, because she was abandoned as a young girl. She looks like an adult, she’s grown-up, but inside, she’s still a child. That’s how I felt.

When I read a script in general, I usually envision the whole story, the whole film, but this script was a bit different, because it is based on an actual story. We hear about child abuse on the news, a lot, but I felt that, when I read the script, it was almost like I witnessed something like that happening before my own eyes. I thought to myself that  even though people – and I as well – have seen cases of child abuse being reported on the news, I felt that if people see it in the form of as film, they will be able to go deeper into this issue and feel something different from what they feel when they are watching the news.

Since this role is different from your previous roles, how did you prepare for it and what kind of research did you do, given that it is based on a true story?

The most important thing to do was to fill in the blanks, so to speak, and to work on the things that were not mentioned in the script. I spent a lot of time with the director, building that up. Like you said, this is a character that is very different from the other characters that I have played, so initially, I was working on and talking to the director about the tone – the tone of her voice, the way she talks, the way she acts, how she looks on the outside, but that was partially because certain aspects that I have, her character doesn’t. So I was trying to work through that. Then, I started thinking and working on how this girl would behave. She had to look tough on the outside because of her circumstances, she was rebellious, and so in order to show that kind of aspect of herself, she wore a heavy red lipstick, and wore leather jackets… Because of the way she grew up, there were certain things that she wasn’t used to, that she was not aware of. For instance, when she is dealing with the child, she doesn’t know how to give things to the child, so she kind of pushes them towards her – things like that.

photo1010328.jpg

Working with children actors can be difficult, especially in such emotionally demanding roles. How was it for you to work with Kim Si-ah?

What was really difficult about it was that I actually love kids. (Laughs) My problem was that in the beginning, because of the relationship between Ji-eun and Miss Baek, I had to keep my distance.

Baek Sang-ah obviously went through a lot of difficulties throughout her life. The character of Ji-eun, played by Si-ah, actually had to withstand the cold weather, wearing thin clothes, so her character required for Si-ah to pour a lot of emotional energy into it. Because she was such a young child, everyone was very careful to make sure we kept the character of Ji-eun separate from Si-ah, the child actor. There was always a councilor on standby to talk to her, to help her if necessary, and I really had to think about my interaction with her, because for her, it was the first time she was acting in a major role, but… she wasn’t really acting. It was as if she was playing the role of Ji-eun in real life.

She actually kept a journal as Ji-eun, the character, and she purposely didn’t wash or cut her nails to stay in character, which is amazing for a child. I actually felt that all I had to do was respond to what she was doing. I said this in the interviews in Korea before; it wasn’t like I was working with a new actor. The kind of attitude and dedication she showed on the set was the same you would see in an established actor.

photo998866

Besides your work in cinema, you’ve worked on several dramas – what, for you, is the main difference between working on TV series and working on a film project?

If you were to compare the environment of working on a K-drama series and environment while working on a feature film like this, they are obviously different. But for me, personally, the way I approach my roles is quite similar and the way I build up my characters is also similar. But when I work on a film, I have more time. When I work on TV series, there are more time constraints, you have to stick to a certain schedule, but with a film, there’s more time to really think things through, also possibly to change certain things and improvise; there’s time to talk with other people about the scene and there’s more time to spend working on a scene. Time is what makes a big difference.

photo998691

Apart from not being close with Kim Si-ah, which part of your role would you consider to have been the most challenging?

When I first decided to do this role and started working on it, I focused less on trying to change myself, to transform myself into this character. What I did was – I kept in mind that the general public, the viewers, will have in mind a certain image of me before they would watch this film and see me in this role. I felt like I needed to close the gap between Han Ji-min – myself – and Baek Sang-ah, the character. I needed to do it faster than usual. Compared to the other roles that I’ve played, I think I dug deeper for this character.  With the director, we talked extensively how and why she could have been abandoned by her mother, to close the gap between the two of us faster. It was challenging, but it was also a very valuable experience for me, and it was fun to do it.

photo998873

According to our research, this is Lee Ji-won’s first film. How much trust did you put in her as a first-time director, and how much artistic freedom did she give you?

Actually, when the director was considering possible actresses for the role, I wasn’t on the list. (Laughs)

It was like fate; after I worked on The Age of Shadows, we had an after-party for all the cast and crew. The place where we had the party happened to be the place where director Lee Ji-won and her production crew met for drinks. I walked by and director Lee told me that at that time, I didn’t look like the Han Ji-min that the director was familiar with. (Laughs) I was just passing by – just walking. I didn’t even talk to her. But there must have been some sort of energy around me that must have been different from what the director previously assumed I had. (Laughs)

Afterwards, we had a meeting. Because director Lee was working as a member of a production crew for a long time, it took her quite a while to debut with her feature film. Out of all of the directors I’ve worked with, this director had the strongest affection for the main character. On the day when I had the filming, director Lee would send me songs and long writings that would help me get in character for a particular scene; I gave her a lot of ideas and suggestions, and some were accepted, because the director thought they were good. Also, because I wasn’t on the original list of choices for the role, I think quite a few changes were made. We had to talk a lot about everything.

photo1007178

Since Sang-ah is such a strong, complex female character, and there has been a lot of talk about strong female characters in cinema on a global scale, what are your thoughts on representation of female characters in Korean cinema?

Like you said, Sang-ah is a very complex character. Internationally, we see more and more strong female characters in lead roles. But in Korean cinema, it is very rare that a female character is the main character in a film. It is also very difficult to get funding or investments for films where the main character is a woman. And that is also one of the reasons why it took such a long time for this film to be made and released.

Once I worked on it and it was released, I was worried how my acting would come across to the audience and what would people think. I was losing sleep over it and I was very stressed out. But because of the things that have been happening in the society nowadays, with women being the force that is bringing about change, there has been a lot of support for the film. Now that people have more channels to communicate, through social network services, there has been a lot of support.

This film deals with a female character that is the lead character, AND it deals with social issues. Even though, when compared to the big commercial films, this is a small project, but it is doing quite well and it has been running for three weeks and is still ongoing, and because of that, I feel a stronger sense of responsibility, to the film and to the world, especially after it’s been released, because people started adding more meaning to the role and to the story. If this film does well at the box office, then hopefully, there will be more and more films that have female leading roles in the future, and in a way, that puts even more weight on my shoulders. I didn’t quite think about it while I was shooting the film, but after it’s been released, I’ve been thinking how lucky I was to have been given the opportunity to play this role, because this kind of opportunity is very rare for an actress.

One thing that has been happening in Korea is that people buy tickets even though they know they won’t be able to go see the film. For example, I am a graduate of a women’s college; younger students of the same college and graduates that are younger than me have been buying a lot of tickets. About a third of them wouldn’t be able to come, but what they did was bought the tickets to support the film, and then they gave them to someone else who could go. I think it’s not simply because it’s a film with the lead female character, it’s more that the message that the film is presenting and the sincerity of the film came across to the audience; I think that they probably thought, “We need to show this film to more people – more people need to see this film, and then maybe the children will have a brighter future.”

photo998871

It’s not just this film that sends out a message that could help children, you are very active with your volunteer work and charities – due to all the great work you do, you have been named an ambassador to the United Nations. How did this journey start for you?

My major in college was social welfare. Actually, my role model is Audrey Hepburn; not just her, other artists who are working for a cause. Other people, regular people, are shouting out, to get the word out for a cause. Watching them, I realized that I, as an actress – a person who is more well-known – was in a position with more power to make people listen. I realized that I had the influence, so I started doing the work.

In the past, in Korean society, many people had the mentality that if one was to do a good deed, they should do it quietly. One should not toot their own horn. But things have changed and now people think that we should tell people about it so we can involve more people, so we can do it together, and that has changed a lot. If I can use my position as a well-known actress to bring about more change, I want to do that.

I do fund-raising for poverty-stricken kids twice a year, and I have been doing it for the past decade. In the beginning, when we started working on it, people didn’t know where the money would go and what it would be used for, so they were hesitant to donate. But because we’ve been doing this and I’ve been doing this consistently, twice a year, for the past ten years, the funds have been growing. People are donating more and more money.

Because I do this every year around Children’s Day in Korea, which is in May, and around Christmas, even my fans, especially fans overseas, who don’t really get to see me in person, know that if they come, they can see me, so they will come to see me AND donate. That has been great.

photo1010591

You published a book about the work you’ve been doing – would you consider writing another book, or perhaps even writing a screenplay with a strong female character?

No to the screenplay. (Laughs) I’m happy being an actress.

As for the book… when I published the book, I was very embarrassed about it. (Laughs) But it opened a door, so to speak, for donations to be channeled to the people who needed them. I wrote that book after I went to a very remote village in the Philippines and I went with the writer who got me into the volunteer, welfare work that I have been doing. She has been saying that we should go again, perhaps to India, and I am willing to consider that if it’s for a good cause.

What is next for you?

I’m currently filming a drama. This drama that I’m working on is with Kim Hye-ja, who is a phenomenal Korean actress and you may know her as the Mother in Bong Joon-ho’s Mother. She’s currently 77, and she’s the main character in the drama and I play the younger version of her. It’s not a big role, but because she is such an important actress and someone I watched on TV and in cinema since I was younger, I really wanted to work with her. This drama series is kind of dedicated to this actress; in the series, she plays the character of the same name. It’s a great honour for me to play this role. It’s directed by Kim Suk-Yoon and it talks about life and about ageing; that’s one of the things that appealed to me. My schedule with the drama series and the movie has been very hectic, I haven’t had any time to rest. Coming here is actually the first time I’ve been able to take a break.

Ah – the video of you dancing!

Oh, you saw it? (Laughs)

The entire staff smiles and nods.

Head of PR: I think everyone saw it.

(Laughs) I was just really happy to be here. (Laughs)

• Like 2

Another review of Miss Baek:D

mv5bmdvkyza1nzatmgy2zc00mzu0lwfjymqtnjy1

Child abuse is a serious problem in South Korea, where the Western trend of permissive education and upbringing never made an entirely successful landing, and where (light) corporal punishment will still hardly draw the attention of authorities, which has lead to horrific numbers of child abuse cases that have been growing at an alarming rate. According to Korea Herald, there was an 18,7 percent increase in the number of child abuse cases in the first half of 2017; there were 10,647 reported cases, compared to the 8,972 cases in the first half of 2016, and nearly 72 percent of the offenders were parents. And yet, little seems to have been done to deal with the growing issue. It still seems to be under wraps and far from being in the public spotlight, a fact that South Korean director Lee Ji-won hopes to change with her debut feature that she both wrote and directed, and which she based on a true story – Miss Baek.

photo998866

The titular Miss Baek – Baek Sang-ah (Han Ji-min) is a bit of an antihero. She is an ex-convict, rough at and below the edges, who works as a car washer and a masseuse and who seems to have given up on being happy in any sense of the word. She is in a relationship with a detective, Jang-sup (Lee Hee-joon), but seems to be less than invested in it, despite his persistent marriage proposals. The first shock to her half-life comes when her boyfriend brings her to the morgue for her to identify a decomposed corpse – the mother who abandoned Sang-ah after abusing her as a child. Through flashbacks, we learn that after being sent to an orphanage, Sang-ah was almost raped by a son of a rich businessman, but defended herself by killing him, which led to her being convicted and forced to spend years in prison.

photo998873

Convinced that she does not deserve any kind of happiness, may it be her letting go of the past, getting married to the man who loves her or becoming a mother, Sang-ah runs from the world and her own history until she finds herself face-to-face with another victim of abuse – Ji-eun (Kim Si-ah), who is wandering the streets covered in more bruises than clothes, in the dead of winter. Sang-ah is unable to walk away; she feeds the girl and puts some clothes on her, but at first still refuses to let herself get involved any further – until she realizes the extent of abuse Ji-eun suffers at the hands of her two-faced stepmother (Kim Si-ah) and her video-game addict of a father, Il-gon (Baek Soo-jang). Unable to stand by and let the girl suffer what she herself did, Sang-ah begins to fight for Ji-eun’s life.

photo998870

Han Ji-min puts on an incredible performance as Baek Sang-ah, first channeling the suppressed emotions and then releasing all of the pent-up anger and stress in a tigress-like fashion. Like-wise, Kim Si-ah seems to be possessed with Ji-eun’s character, a girl who is almost broken and willing to let go of life itself, but still dares to hope, and reach out. Their interaction is on point as the two tentatively let themselves grow close. Besides the two, Lee Ji-won firmly put the entire film into a mostly female perspective by providing both the female chief villain (Kwon So-hyun) and a female character that provides brief moments of comic relief to the story (Kim Sun-young), directing the male cast to do a solid job with their support from the sidelines.

photo1010328

Miss Baek is a film that is, in its very core, designed to evoke emotions and force the viewers to look into the eyes of a familiar beast, prompting them to take some kind –  any kind – of action. Avoiding the trap of being too deliberate and granting its story a natural flow, the feature succeeds to do it all – it moves, it tortures by being relentless in its realistic depiction of the abuse and its victims in a vicious cycle that is sometimes destined to repeat itself, and delivers it all on all possible points. It is a film with a purpose, and it packages and serves it with the highest grade.

Rating: 5 stars

Written by Sanja Struna

All photos © Little Big Pictures

• Like 2

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/11/winners-from-the-38th-korean-association-of-film-critics-awards

Winners from the '38th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards'!

misc.jpg

On November 13, the '38th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards' hosted by the Korean Association of Film Critics took place at Press Center in Seoul. Announcer Shin Ji Hye and actor Kim Ji Hoon joined the event as the MCs. 

The 'Korean Association of Film Critics Awards' is an annual award ceremony that gives recognition to excellent figures and productions in Korean film. 

Check out the list of winners from this year's event below! 

Best Film: '1987'

Lifetime Achievement in Film Award: Yoon Jung Hee

Best Director: Yoon Jong Bin 'The Spy Gone North'

Best Actor: Lee Sung Min 'The Spy Gone North'

Best Actress: Han Ji Min 'Miss Baek' 

Best Supporting Actor: Joo Ji Hoon 'The Spy Gone North'

Best Supporting Actress: Kwon So Hyun 'Miss Baek' 

Best Screenplay: Kwak Kyung Taek and Kim Tae Gyun 'Dark Figure of Crime' 

Best Cinematography: Hong Kyung Pyo 'Burning' 

Best Soundtrack: Kim Tae Sung '1987'

Technical Award: Jin Jong Hyun 'Along with the Gods'

Special Award: Late director Hong Ki Sun 

Rookie Director: Jeon Go Woon 'Microhabitat'

Rookie Actress: Kim Ga Hee 'Park Hwa Young' 

Rookie Actor: Nam Joo Hyuk 'The Great Battle' 

International Federation of Film Critics Award: Lee Chang Dong 'Burning' 

Best New Critic: Cho Han KI 

Best Independent Film: Kim Il Ran and Lee Hyuk Sang 'The Remnants', Jeon Go Woon 'Microhabitat' 
  • Like 2

Miss Baek nearly miss the cut. I guess it was fate:wub: I can't wait for the awards night:)

39th Blue Dragon Film Awards Announces MCs And Nominees

39th Blue Dragon Film Awards Announces MCs And Nominees

Nov 16, 2018
by Y. Shin

The Blue Dragon Film Awards has revealed its hosts, along with the nominations for 15 categories of this year’s ceremony!

On November 16, it was announced that Kim Hye Sooand Yoo Yeon Seok will be MCing the ceremony. Kim Hye Soo has been hosting the annual awards ceremony since 1993, so this will be her 25th consecutive year as an MC. Her co-host Yoo Yeon Seok has an impressive film record with successful movies, such as “Oldboy,” “Re-encounter,” “Architecture 101,” and “A Werewolf Boy.

Kim Hye Soo commented, “I warmly welcome Yoo Yeon Seok, who I’ll be working with [this year]. I’m very excited to meet such a great actor at the Blue Dragon Film Awards. I’m excited for a great event at this year’s [ceremony] as well.” She then told viewers, “I hope you can enjoy the film festival as much as you can!”

Yoo Yeon Seok stated, “Although I’ve never hosted an award’s ceremony before, it’s an honor to host what will become Korea’s greatest night of festivities, the Blue Dragon Film Awards. I’m especially happy that I’m able to work with Kim Hye Soo, who I greatly respect. I’ll do my best to prepare for a great ceremony.”

blue-dragon-film-awards-best-picture.png

For the nominees, films released from October 12, 2017 through October 11, 2018 were eligible, and the final nominees were selected through a survey of film industry experts and netizen votes.

In addition to the 15 categories listed below, winners for the Popularity Award, Best Short Film, and Most Viewed Picture will be announced at the ceremony. The 39th Blue Dragon Film Awards will take place at 8:55 p.m. KST on November 23 at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Palace. The ceremony will be broadcast live via SBS.

Check out the nominees below!

Best Picture

“1987”

“The Spy Gone North”

Little Forest

“Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

“Dark Figure of Crime”

Best Director

Kim Yong Hwa – “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

Min Kyu Dong – “Herstory”

Yoon Jong Bin – “The Spy Gone North”

Yim Soon Rye – “Little Forest”

Jang Joon Hwan – “1987”

Best Actor

Kim Yoon Suk – “1987”

Yoo Ah In – “Burning”

Lee Sung Min – “The Spy Gone North”

Joo Ji Hoon  – “Dark Figure of Crime”

Ha Jung Woo – “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

Best Actress

Kim Tae Ri – “Little Forest”

Kim Hee Ae – “Herstory”

Park Bo Young – “On Your Wedding Day”

Esom – “Microhabitat”

Han Ji Min – “Miss Baek”

Best Supporting Actor

Kim Dong Wook – “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

Kim Joo Hyuk – “Believer”

Yoo Hae Jin – “1987”

Steven Yeun – “Burning”

Joo Ji Hoon – “The Spy Gone North”

Best Supporting Actress

Kwon So Hyun – “Miss Baek”

Kim Sun Young – “Herstory”

Kim Hyang Gi – “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

Lee Joo Young – “Believer”

Jin Seo Yeon – “Believer”

Best New Actor

Kim Young Kwang – “On Your Wedding Day”

Nam Joo Hyuk – “The Great Battle”

Sung Yoo Bin – “Last Child”

Wi Ha Joon – “Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum”

Lee Ga Seob – “The Seeds Of Violence”

Best New Actress

Kim Ka Hee – “Park Hwa Young”

Kim Da Mi – “The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion”

Park Ji Hyun – “Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum”

Jeon Yeo Bin – “After My Death”

Jeon Jong Seo – “Burning”

Best New Director

Kim Eui Seok – “After My Death”

Kim Tae Gyun – “Dark Figure of Crime”

Shin Dong Seok – “Last Child”

Lee Ji Won – “Miss Baek”

Jeon Go Woon – “Microhabitat”

Best Screenplay

Kwak Kyung Taek, Kim Tae Gyun – “Dark Figure of Crime”

Kwon Seong Hwi, Yoon Jong Bin – “The Spy Gone North”

Kim Kyung Chan – “1987”

Shin Dong Seok – “Last Child”

Jeon Go Woon – “Microhabitat”

Best Cinematography and Lighting

“1987”

“The Spy Gone North”

“The Great Battle”

“Illang: The Wolf Brigade”

Best Film Editing

“1987”

“Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum”

“The Spy Gone North”

“Little Forest”

Best Music

“1987”

“The Spy Gone North”

“Believer”

“Burning”

Sunset in My Hometown

Best Art Direction

“1987”

“The Spy Gone North”

“Little Forest”

“Illang: The Wolf Brigade”

Best Technical Achievement

“1987” – Costumes

“Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum” – Sound Effects

“The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion” – Stunts

“Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds” – Visual Effects

“The Great Battle” – Special Effects

• Like 3

@richelle, i thought ji min will only continue to keep in contact with SSR and not GY cos the former has SNS and latter seems like stay home guy when there is no project and has no SNS.  Haha!  But i am pleasantly surprise they still keep in contact.

i will try to find the livestream.  :D  

• Like 3

@tok-soompihan ji min said she and gong yoo are like tom and jerry lol. Even in the bts of their movie it seems gong yoo likes to tease her. It's great that the 3 of them maintained their friendship even after the movie is long shown.

Have you already watched miss baek chinggu? I want to watch it so badly but until now i can't find even the raw file. No subtitles available too. So hard for an indie film to be available mainstream:tears: until now i can't believe han ji min is winning awards for the movie. I understand why ji min is crying receiving her award, having this movie shown and being acknowledge is like a dream. I am looking forward to the awards night for blue dragon on friday:wub:

• Like 2

From soompi's previous update on 11/14:

Winners Of 38th Korean Association Of Film Critics Awards

Han Ji Min tearfully stated, “Thank you for this generous and meaningful award. ‘Miss Baek’ is a film with a story that makes my heart ache just thinking about it. It took a long time for this film to come out into the world, and there were more than a few difficulties. So I was even grateful over just the fact that it was released. I think that’s why this moment feels more like a dream.” She expressed her gratitude to director Lee Ji Won, the staff, her co-stars, and the film’s viewers.

han-ji-min-xpn.jpg

38th-Korean-Association-Of-Film-Critics-Awards-xpn.jpg

• Like 3