Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest toxic-apple

hello everyone!! I need a Word Document! so is there any recommendation? is it expensive like Microsoft Office Word? thanks

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigfatkelly

For some reason that little passage just made me think about condoms and HIV/AIDs prevention lol :crazy:

I have a powerbook G4. 12"/1.33GHz/768 MB DDR/60 GB/combo drive

I am not going to bash my PC. I love my thinkpad as much as anything. I am a proud owner of a T20 and T60. I am not a super nerd who knows everything about PCs, but I do know enough to fix my problems and prevent myself from having any problems. My first desktop was a HP with very little hardware space and a low Celeron processor. It died because of hardware issues (fan died, computer burnt out), not Windows fault. But let's not go there.

The reason I got a Mac is because I would like to know more about their hardware and softwares. The ins and outs and abouts, ya know. It isn't an entirely new world, but it is different in some aspects. And my answer to "Mac or PC?" Really, I like both. The both have their negatives and positives.

omg

how can you afford them?

what do you do for a living.

I wanted a macbook pro but could only make it to a regular macbook

but seriously what do you do?

I dont know what to major in yet and your input would be helpful :]

i have somewhat a minor problem but its bugging the hell out of me.

often times when i turn on my macbook,

the green light for photobooth comes on automatically.

and when it turns on, my photobooth doesn't work when i try to use it.

then there are other times when the green light doesn't come on

and my photobooth works fine.

anybody know how to sove this problem?

Guest bigfatkelly
omghow can you afford them?what do you do for a living.I wanted a macbook pro but could only make it to a regular macbookbut seriously what do you do?I dont know what to major in yet and your input would be helpful :]
omg i replied to the wrong person.sorryhaha please ignore
For some reason that little passage just made me think about condoms and HIV/AIDs prevention lol :crazy: I have a powerbook G4. 12"/1.33GHz/768 MB DDR/60 GB/combo driveI am not going to bash my PC. I love my thinkpad as much as anything. I am a proud owner of a T20 and T60. I am not a super nerd who knows everything about PCs, but I do know enough to fix my problems and prevent myself from having any problems. My first desktop was a HP with very little hardware space and a low Celeron processor. It died because of hardware issues (fan died, computer burnt out), not Windows fault. But let's not go there.The reason I got a Mac is because I would like to know more about their hardware and softwares. The ins and outs and abouts, ya know. It isn't an entirely new world, but it is different in some aspects. And my answer to "Mac or PC?" Really, I like both. The both have their negatives and positives.
omghow can you afford them?what do you do for a living?I wanted a macbook pro but could only make it to a regular macbookbut seriously what do you do?I dont know what to major in yet and your input would be helpful :]
i just recently got a 2.16 15" MacBook Pro. I also have a 3.0 DualCore Mac Pro at work :)
omghow can you afford them?what do you do for a living?I wanted a macbook pro but could only make it to a regular macbookbut seriously what do you do?I dont know what to major in yet and your input would be helpful :]

...But then we don't get to install games or things like ClubBox without installing Windows as a separate platform... Which is space consuming!

I know macbooks can install windows xp on them now, but I don't know how to do it. I was thinking of getting a macbook but would want this just in case some school programs are incompatible. Is there a specific windows for mac version?

Guest chriskong37

I know macbooks can install windows xp on them now, but I don't know how to do it. I was thinking of getting a macbook but would want this just in case some school programs are incompatible. Is there a specific windows for mac version?

no. any version of microsoft windows xp or vista will work fine on mac. all you need is a program called bootcamp which is developed by apple. unless you're already running bootcamp, which im guessing you are not, then you will need to buy a mac which has the newer operating system leopard (10.5) set to be released 10/26.

there is already some software that lets you run windows in mac - "parallels" is one. the difference between parallels and bootcamp is that parallels is like running windows inside a "window" while running mac os x. so its sorta like turning on your mac then opening a program that runs windows xp. from previous experience, this can be very memory consuming. bootcamp sets a multiboot environment, that is one that can only run one os at a time. so if i wanted to run windows when im in mac, i would need to restart my computer and load windows and vice versa.

anyhow, anyone here getting leopard when it's released? :)

Guest Xarthan

no. any version of microsoft windows xp or vista will work fine on mac. all you need is a program called bootcamp which is developed by apple. unless you're already running bootcamp, which im guessing you are not, then you will need to buy a mac which has the newer operating system leopard (10.5) set to be released 10/26.

there is already some software that lets you run windows in mac - "parallels" is one. the difference between parallels and bootcamp is that parallels is like running windows inside a "window" while running mac os x. so its sorta like turning on your mac then opening a program that runs windows xp. from previous experience, this can be very memory consuming. bootcamp sets a multiboot environment, that is one that can only run one os at a time. so if i wanted to run windows when im in mac, i would need to restart my computer and load windows and vice versa.

anyhow, anyone here getting leopard when it's released? :)

hmmmmm I hope so. I gotta ask my work to get it :)

aha! you have addressed my problem!

-can you buy bootcamp at any apple store? if not, where? Best buy?

-would it be better to run windows XP rather than vista on a macbook (faster)? Would both of them detect all the hardware drivers okay? If i was to buy an OEM copy of either would the activation procedure run fine (I don't see why it wouldn't)?

-do you have XP on your mac. Have you noticed any interesting problems? Or does it run windows like any other hardware would? What do you do since you don't have a right mouse key on the macbook?

-It is already 10/17/07 and I will not be in a rush anyway to buy a new computer without researching first. When do you think apple will start putting leopard on macbooks as the standard OS when you buy one? Immediately?

sorry for th n00b questions... planning to switch to mac for the first time.

Guest Xarthan

-would it be better to run windows XP rather than vista on a macbook (faster)? Would both of them detect all the hardware drivers okay? If i was to buy an OEM copy of either would the activation procedure run fine (I don't see why it wouldn't)?

-do you have XP on your mac. Have you noticed any interesting problems? Or does it run windows like any other hardware would? What do you do since you don't have a right mouse key on the macbook?

-It is already 10/17/07 and I will not be in a rush anyway to buy a new computer without researching first. When do you think apple will start putting leopard on macbooks as the standard OS when you buy one? Immediately?

sorry for th n00b questions... planning to switch to mac for the first time.

-never seen it

-I'd say XP, it's faster, and the drivers all come on the bootcamp disc

-Nope, it runs perfectly fine. Attach an external mouse? or option click

-Oct 26

Since i've switched to mac, i have had no reason to switch over to my XP in bootcamp. In fact last couple of weeks I took it off. I saw no reason to have XP at all.

Guest Freight22

the last couples years i been using macs in school and right now at work im using the imac. been thinking about getting a macbook soon... just wondering if theres any deals going on or coming up?

Guest chriskong37

-never seen it

bootcamp used to be offered seperately as a public beta downloadable for everyone, but now since leopard is comming the only way to get it is if you were to upgrade to a new operating system (mac os x 10.5). more on bootcamp: www.apple.com/bootcamp

the last couples years i been using macs in school and right now at work im using the imac. been thinking about getting a macbook soon... just wondering if theres any deals going on or coming up?

apple do not usually have specials on their macbook, nor any apple product line. it's quite rare when it does happen. their may be deals on, but it really depends on where you are. so it would good to browse the apple website for your country. here's the page for united state customers who are interested in deals: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...deals/big_deals. there are discounts for people who are still involved in the education sector somehow (such as: uni students, teachers, mom's and dad's of k-12 students, etc...). if you're curious: www.apple.com/education

Guest Freight22

apple do not usually have specials on their macbook, nor any apple product line. it's quite rare when it does happen. their may be deals on, but it really depends on where you are. so it would good to browse the apple website for your country. here's the page for united state customers who are interested in deals: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...deals/big_deals. there are discounts for people who are still involved in the education sector somehow (such as: uni students, teachers, mom's and dad's of k-12 students, etc...). if you're curious: www.apple.com/education

thanks, yeah i check out the education section.

can anyone confirm if there is a new/updated macbook come out in late Oct or Nov with an aluminum case? i might just wait a month then to buy it.

how do you change the backlight setting on an iMac?i hate it when i'm watching my on-line series and it suddenly dims <_<::what type of video files does iMovie support? i can't seem to open my .wmv files :( and one more Q, how do I turn on my subtitles? with windows i would just do a right-click and i'm good to go...

Hi kyo,

You can change the backlight settings in your system preferences. You can access that by clicking the Apple Logo in the upper left and then choosing "System Preferences..."Look for "Energy Saver" (it's the light bulb icon) and click that. From there you can adjust the amount of time that passes before your display dims.

As for the iMovie question, sounds like you're trying to edit your wmv files? If that's the case, you need the Flip4Mac codec installed on your system. Unfortunately, I believe you need the "Player Pro" version (which supports importing. It doesn't support exporting...) More information can be found here: http://flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

Finally, for subtitles (or srt files?), you could use an app like VLC, which can be found here: http://www.videolan.org/

Good luck!

i have an old mac powerbook G4 and the right arrow doesn't work! I restarted it but to no avail. Is it time for me to get a new Mac? I can live without that arrow key...

Have you tried popping the key off? Could be you have something lodged under the key interfering with the "scissor" mechanism... Here's some information straight from Apple...http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58390

I'd suggest #3. Try opening "Keyboard Viewer" by enabling it in your system preference (it may be available as a stand alone app, but I can't find it) -- you can show Keyboard viewer by clicking "International" in system pref and choosing "Input Menu". Enable Keyboard Viewer and an American Flag should show up in the upper right. Once you have that there, click Keyboard Viewer and then tap your arrow key and see if it registers on that window....Good luck!

Guest Xarthan

bootcamp used to be offered seperately as a public beta downloadable for everyone, but now since leopard is comming the only way to get it is if you were to upgrade to a new operating system (mac os x 10.5). more on bootcamp: www.apple.com/bootcamp

well i meant "never seen it" by never seeing it at bestbuy or whatever the question was.

hmm wonder when apple will come out with an aluminum macbook, :D

hmm wonder when apple will come out with an aluminum macbook, :D

me too.... i miss my powerbook G4 12".

it was easier to maintain than my current black macbook.

plus, i think the silver's sexier than the black or white.....

wow, i haven't posted in this thread in a whilee.....

me too.... i miss my powerbook G4 12".

it was easier to maintain than my current black macbook.

plus, i think the silver's sexier than the black or white.....

wow, i haven't posted in this thread in a whilee.....

Awwww! I just sold my PowerBook G4 12"...I felt bad packing it up. Haha...but I totally miss my PBG4 too. It started showing its age in its performance, but the size was perfect....

I sold it after I decided I wanted to upgrade and was all set when the "slimbook" rumors started surfacing. I was like, "ohhh...do I wait for that or bite the bullet and get a machine now??" -- couldn't wait. picked up a MBP (15.4 15" 2.4 w 2GB RAM and 256MB video) so *my* luck, they'll probably release an Al MacBook or a 13" MBP a few weeks from now. HAH! *sigh*

Awwww! I just sold my PowerBook G4 12"...I felt bad packing it up. Haha...but I totally miss my PBG4 too. It started showing its age in its performance, but the size was perfect....

I sold it after I decided I wanted to upgrade and was all set when the "slimbook" rumors started surfacing. I was like, "ohhh...do I wait for that or bite the bullet and get a machine now??" -- couldn't wait. picked up a MBP (15.4 15" 2.4 w 2GB RAM and 256MB video) so *my* luck, they'll probably release an Al MacBook or a 13" MBP a few weeks from now. HAH! *sigh*

i was so sad when i sold my PBG4....

but i know its in good hands cuz

i sold it to my best friend....

so when i see her i say "how's my baby doing?" lol

but yeh, it was starting to slow down

for me too, that's why i have the macbook now....

i envy those who have the mbp.. grrrr....

if only they had smaller than 15"

ps. i hope they don't release a 13" mbp or Aluminum macbook that soon! i just got my macbook sept06 <_<

Archived