Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest rapunzel283

I just picked up my beautiful white 2.16GHz MB yesterday <333

(And luckily the keyboard cover w/ palm rest I ordered from eBay arrived when I got home haha!

If you're worried about the discolouration, it's a good idea. Reasonably priced too ^_^)

I'm more worried concerned about how hot it can get.

*Googles*

And Photobooth is love. <3

But I'm considering getting a wireless mouse though... I don't realy like the two-finger scrolling.

Maybe I'll get used to it overtime though :D

ilu mb D:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joonieballoonie

Well, I'm off this weekend to get the new iMac (24" widescreen, 2.4 GHz) - I'm really looking forward to it...plus I get a new iPod in the bargain :D

School calls for lots of video and photo editing, so hopefully the mac will make my life easier...plus I make a lot of music on my own, so Garage Band looks perfect.

Wow, our Mac User Group is growing! :)

Well, I'm off this weekend to get the new iMac (24" widescreen, 2.4 GHz) - I'm really looking forward to it...plus I get a new iPod in the bargain :D

School calls for lots of video and photo editing, so hopefully the mac will make my life easier...plus I make a lot of music on my own, so Garage Band looks perfect.

How are you enjoying your new iMac? Are you using specific software for video editing??

Just got a Mac Pro 17 inch laptop to replace my mini. I'm a long time Mac user so nothing really to rave about but it does have good aesthetic design. However, I still prefer a PC for day to day computing. I think my wife would enjoy the new Mac the most because it's simpler to use than a PC and plus it's mobile now.

Guest pokkadot

yay mac lovers~

I have a black 13" Macbook with 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I really love it cause I'm such a retard when it comes to computers and I killed my PC from all the viruses and crap.

and I do illustrations so stuff looks really nice on mac displays =D

and yes. PHOTOBOOTH IS LIFE

Just got a Mac Pro 17 inch laptop to replace my mini. I'm a long time Mac user so nothing really to rave about but it does have good aesthetic design. However, I still prefer a PC for day to day computing. I think my wife would enjoy the new Mac the most because it's simpler to use than a PC and plus it's mobile now.

I've been debating between a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro. I have a PowerMac G5 right now that still works fine. I'm getting rid of the PowerBook (I never used...) I prefer desktops, but heard the MBP are pretty nice.... Probably not a 17 but 15...

Any reason you prefer desktop over laptop? and vice versa??

I've been debating between a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro. I have a PowerMac G5 right now that still works fine. I'm getting rid of the PowerBook (I never used...) I prefer desktops, but heard the MBP are pretty nice.... Probably not a 17 but 15...

Any reason you prefer desktop over laptop? and vice versa??

I most definitely prefer a desktop over a laptop anyday. My reference to "PC" in my previous post is refering to a Windows box. The primary reason I prefer desktops (regardless of whether it be a Mac or PC) is because of desktop real estate and productivity. I find it extremely difficult to work and play on a single monitor (let alone a single sub 19 inch screen). If a Mac was my primary computer and I had to choose between a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro, I'd def stick with the Mac Pro and just get a cheap Windows laptop for mobil computing needs. 90% of the time, I just browse the web or work on documents on my laptop and don't need something as robust as a MacBook Pro. As a power user, I couldn't imagine not having a higher end desktop computer at home. A laptop just wouldn't feel the same as a desktop replacement.

So why did I buy the MacBook Pro?

"Mac" because I still love using it for both personal and business needs. My old Mac mini was bought 3 years ago and it was getting old.

"Book" since I use my Windows desktop primarily at home, I would just like to have something portable so I can use it from anywhere.

"Pro" since I don't replace my Mac as nearly as often as I upgrade my Windows PC, I just wanted something that will last.

I'd prefer a Macbook Pro to a desktop anyday. Sure with the same priced models, you got more processing power with a desktop but you lose mobility, convenience, and of course you need to have a monitor. As a business professional i'm taking my lap top everywhere. To pitches, presentations, meetings, traveling, even to Starbucks when i need a chance of atmosphere. The new Macbook Pro's are upgradeable to 4GB RAM, and have the new chips in them so they are pretty darn powerful. Of course if we could all afford it we'd get both, a desktop at home, and laptop...nevertheless if i had to pick one, i'd definitely go for the laptop. Also you can get pretty good double monitors fairly inexpensive, and since the Macbook Pro has the dual DVI's it's no problem...in fact the MBP's have better graphics cards than the desktops.

I'd prefer a Macbook Pro to a desktop anyday. Sure with the same priced models, you got more processing power with a desktop but you lose mobility, convenience, and of course you need to have a monitor. As a business professional i'm taking my lap top everywhere. To pitches, presentations, meetings, traveling, even to Starbucks when i need a chance of atmosphere. The new Macbook Pro's are upgradeable to 4GB RAM, and have the new chips in them so they are pretty darn powerful. Of course if we could all afford it we'd get both, a desktop at home, and laptop...nevertheless if i had to pick one, i'd definitely go for the laptop. Also you can get pretty good double monitors fairly inexpensive, and since the Macbook Pro has the dual DVI's it's no problem...in fact the MBP's have better graphics cards than the desktops.

Thanks K1M and dot1q,

I'm still wrestling between upgrading my PowerMac G5 to a Mac Pro or going mobile and getting a MacBook Pro (keeping the G5 around for a few more years....)

I agree with both of you on the points both of you made. I found with my old PowerBook, it was exactly as dot1q said -- it got to the point where I wasn't using it for anything "productive". The screen space was much too small and over the years, the G4 really started showing its age. But, like K1M said, its nice being able to go to a coffee shop to meet clients, or doing work on the way to school...

Guest dhillman

my macbook pro is starting to act up on me. this is irritating. if anyone knows how to solve these problems, please help me.

1. the f9 and f10 keys (the ones to adjust the brightness of the keyboard backlight) aren't working. i press them and the lights arent adjusting. the symbol comes out on the screen but it's got a small circle with a slash sign in it (you know what i mean...) below the brightness bar. it looks like it's locked? i can't change my keyboard backlight's brightness nor can i turn it on or off. believe me. i've tried the apple-system preferences-keyboard-keyboard backlight slider bar and it does nothing no matter what i do wth that bar.

2. i have a usb hub. since macbook pro only has 2 usb ports, i bought an extension so now i have 4 extra usb ports. it's been working prefectly fine but today it started acting up on me. 2 of the ports would still work somehow, but the other 2 wouldn't work. if i plug in my ipod on the working 2, it'll get connected but it fails to read on the computer. it'll say "do not disconnect" on the ipod, but the ipod doesnt show up in my itunes nor on the desktop as a drive (it normally does).

3. there's no more start up sound whenever i turn on my macbook. its weird. the sound has always been there and i did nothing to change it whatsoever. suddenly it just doesn't make the sound anymore, so i'm guessing something really wrong is going on.

4. i tried to repair my disk, but the repair button isn't highlighted so i can't even click on it. i put my mac osx install cd in the drive but it doesn't change that fact.

all these problems happened at pretty much the same time.

Guest Xarthan

my macbook pro is starting to act up on me. this is irritating. if anyone knows how to solve these problems, please help me.

1. the f9 and f10 keys (the ones to adjust the brightness of the keyboard backlight) aren't working. i press them and the lights arent adjusting. the symbol comes out on the screen but it's got a small circle with a slash sign in it (you know what i mean...) below the brightness bar. it looks like it's locked? i can't change my keyboard backlight's brightness nor can i turn it on or off. believe me. i've tried the apple-system preferences-keyboard-keyboard backlight slider bar and it does nothing no matter what i do wth that bar.

2. i have a usb hub. since macbook pro only has 2 usb ports, i bought an extension so now i have 4 extra usb ports. it's been working prefectly fine but today it started acting up on me. 2 of the ports would still work somehow, but the other 2 wouldn't work. if i plug in my ipod on the working 2, it'll get connected but it fails to read on the computer. it'll say "do not disconnect" on the ipod, but the ipod doesnt show up in my itunes nor on the desktop as a drive (it normally does).

3. there's no more start up sound whenever i turn on my macbook. its weird. the sound has always been there and i did nothing to change it whatsoever. suddenly it just doesn't make the sound anymore, so i'm guessing something really wrong is going on.

4. i tried to repair my disk, but the repair button isn't highlighted so i can't even click on it. i put my mac osx install cd in the drive but it doesn't change that fact.

all these problems happened at pretty much the same time.

1) Check your keyboard shortcuts, it's prob just unchecked.

for the others, can you take it to an apple store for the genius bar to take a look at?

Guest dhillman

there's no apple store in where i live. the closest one is like a few of hours away.

oh, and i checked the keyboard shortcuts. there's none involving keyboard backlighting.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2GHz Intel Core Duo and 2gb of ram. Is there any way to upgrade the video card? It's currently a ATI Radeon X1600:

Guest Xarthan

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2GHz Intel Core Duo and 2gb of ram. Is there any way to upgrade the video card? It's currently a ATI Radeon X1600:

nope

i use both systems, mac and windows. for the mac, i got the 20inch imac...the cool silver one!!! lol and as for the wondows, i just use an acer laptop. need them both for compatibility of programs and design and html css stuff. both have memory upgrades and all the rest? i have no clue about specs...i just used the programs.

how do you change the backlight setting on an iMac?

i hate it when i'm watching my on-line series and it suddenly dims <_<

:

:

what type of video files does iMovie support? i can't seem to open my .wmv files :(

and one more Q, how do I turn on my subtitles? with windows i would just do a right-click and i'm good to go...

Guest motsfleuris

I have the white, "13, 2.16gHz Macbook~<3

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 120GB hard drive1

* Double-layer SuperDrive

I got it for college, since I'm working with radio and video, I needed a mac. ProTools doesn't really mix well with Windows, which shuts down constantly. The lack of viruses is also a big <3!

...But then we don't get to install games or things like ClubBox without installing Windows as a separate platform... Which is space consuming!

Archived