Neon Genesis Evangelion

Guest yobsinnet

Guest yobsinnet

I just finished watching this anime..... wow? the ending was just total bs
NeonGenesisEvangelionfull_1353773.jpg
Has anyone else seen this series? What were your opinions of the ending? I have also heard the maker of this anime got like death threats and such because of the ending.
Plot:
Evangelion is an apocalyptic anime in the mecha genre. The series is set in a futuristic Tokyo fifteen years after a worldwide cataclysm. The main story centers around Shinji, a teenage boy recruited by the shadowy organization NERV to pilot a giant bio-machine called an Evangelionin combat against monstrous beings known as Angels. The series explores the experiences and emotions of other Evangelion pilots and members of NERV as they attempt to prevent another catastrophe.

Volumes: 14 (Complete) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=79Published by: Viz Anime Episodes: 26 + 3 films

Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Wallpaper-2.jpg

NeonGenesisEvangelionfull912728.jpg

neon_genesis_evangelion_001.jpg

Guest Take Five

^yeah. that's why he made end of evangelion...which probably pissed people off even more. i think it was his revenge against those people who sent death threats lol. well, i thought that movie was a lot more interesting than the original ending but it was one hell of a headtrip.

Guest x__FL4*

i watched this series like 3 years ago and i had to have my friend explain it to me 5 times before i got it.. T____T i thought the ending sucked.. wayyy to strange for me.

from wikipedia

When first aired in Japan at a time slot intended for teenagers, Evangelion was not especially popular. However, when aired again in a time slot more suitable for adults, its popularity exploded and rekindled many adults' interest in anime.

[edit]

Different endings

After the ending of the TV series, Gainax and Hideaki Anno received numerous letters and emails from fans, both congratulating and criticizing the last two episodes. Among these were death threats and letters of disappointment from fans who thought Anno had ruined the series for them. Prompted by these responses, Gainax launched the project to create a movie with a "proper" ending for the series in 1997. Due to scheduling difficulties, they released Death and Rebirth consisting of a character-based recap of the entire series (Death) and half of the "proper" ending to Evangelion (Rebirth). The project was completed later in the year, and contained the complete section of Rebirth, i.e. End of Evangelion. The film made around $12 million at the Japanese box office. (Blockbusters in Japan usually make $40-60 million, and a movie is considered to have done well if it makes more than $10 million).

Despite the success of End of Evangelion, its ending was considered controversial by many fans. Some believe that it was a manifestation of Anno's frustrations with the fan culture that attacked his original ending, and used End of Evangelion as revenge against those. Others have argued that Anno intended End of Evangelion to be the proper climax all along but that he was unable to show it because of budget restraint and television content laws.

The theory of a pre-planned ending in addition to episodes 25 and 26 is backed up by some evidence, including a still in the intro depicting Unit 01 with wings and still-frame shots of the deaths of Misato and Ritsuko which appeared in the TV ending. The deaths of these two characters correspond to events in End of Evangelion and would tend to disprove the theory that the tragic and violent end of various characters in End of Evangelion is due to Anno's frustration towards some fans. In addition, the plot of End of Evangelion does seem to match that of the TV series, providing closure to things such as the Instrumentality Project, the true purpose of NERV, and the private agenda of Gendou Ikari.

On the other hand there is some evidence that Anno's frustrations began earlier than End of Evangelion, and that this film was the culmination of a growing anger as evidenced by the sudden shift in tone around episode 16. (It is also worth noting here that in this episode the Angels were going to speak to Shinji, but the creative team dropped this in favor of a more original concept in which the Angel shows Shinji various images within his mind, while he 'talks' to himself.) Several sources (interview with Kazuya Tsurumaki, interview with Hiroki Azuma) seem to indicate that although Evangelion was sketchily pre-planned, the story details were open to alteration, possibly for the purpose of adapting to audience demands or more likely (regarding Anno's tastes and fights with sponsors) free directorial decision making. The shift in tone and style corresponded with a shift in Anno's worldview that would lead him to abandon the "otaku lifestyle" and temporarily leave anime for live action film making. He made his live-action debut with "Love and Pop" in 1998 (posters were designed by longtime collaberator Yoshiyuki Sadamoto), then went back to animation with the 26-episode "His and Her Circumstances", then made the live-action "Shiki-Jistu" in 2001 (which used brief pieces of animation in key scenes), and was uninvolved with animation until his participation in supervising (but not directing) the 2004 Cutey Honey OAV Project.

Guest darkHorse

The movie is... blah. But, I guess Shinji really loved Asuka so he simply wished to be alone with her which is why the whole world is wiped out but leaving Shinji and Asuka alone (except rei's big head?). I don't know but I wasn't too concerned about the movie or the anime but im hoping the true ending will come out of manga which i think is still ongoing.

Guest darkboy

I only saw the two movies and i was like "WTF!?" cause i didnt understand it at all, now im just waiting for the series from my friend so i can borrow it.

yeah, i was quite shocked to hear that the creator got death threats because of the ending and so he made the end of eva?? but still.. how can people take it soo seriously!?

hardcore obsessed fans? or maybe people just take things to seriously??

^well, they say eva fans are some of the most hardcore fans...

that maybe true too.

im a fan of evangelion too though :vicx:

but not like hardcore.

Guest Golden Zeta Gundam

NGE been airing in Aus since 1998

i was still young back then.. i just liked it for the Eva action.. and i thought Rei was hot back then..

Guest Take Five

evangelion was trippy, i like it tho =p

kinda reminds me of gantz if anyone seen it...

at least gantz doesn't confuse me...probably because they just plain don't tell you what's going on lol.

it's kinda even weirder than evangelion though.

Archived