Quantcast
Guest suzziee

Lee Seon Gyun 이선균

@widala so glad you started watching it. Yeah, his character gets better and better  every episode so you should be patient. When I rewatch it, I usually skip to episode 5. Hehe. How about Miss Korea? Same writer but at least his character in MK is not really a jerk but a loser I guess? A very handsome loser. :D

I will be watching When The Camellia Blooms after the last episode airs. Romcoms usually make me lose interest if I watch it week by week. And yes, a lot of people say that GHJ's character in that drama and Pasta are the same. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, widala said:

Episode 2

Hmmm, I guess the writer had something in mind when making Chef a petty misogynistic jerk right?

He's not only rude and screaming all the time, but the things he said... WOW!

I know in these kind of stories, things usually get worse before they get better. So I just need to be patient (?).

And the Ex now entering the scene, we shall find out what happened in the past between them that got him so bitter. Not that would be any sufficient excuse for the way he treated women like she murdered all of his family or something...

I've only watch the first episode of When The Camellia Blooms, I don't know if any of you guys have watched it, but I think Goldfish's character is a bit similar with Dong Baek?

Now, before we start episode 3, let me clean my ears first by listening to Park Dong Hoon's breathing...

Does Pasta has its own thread in Soompi?

I hope you guys don't mind I'm sharing my thoughts about Pasta here. 

I know it sounded like all I do is criticising the drama, but it's still a long way to go and I'm eager to find out more...

I almost envy you because you have all these "new" LSK dramas to watch. hahaha...

But yes, like @jhjsw, I usually skip the first few episodes in my rewatch. I like to start at #5. Even when I first watched it, I did not turn around until episode 6, and the rest was history. It might help to keep in mind that Chef is very different inside and outside the kitchen. In the kitchen he is all business, all the time. If nothing else, LSK never looked more handsome than he did in Pasta. :w00t:

There is a Pasta thread on Soompi but if I am not mistaken, it was locked. :(  Please share your thoughts right here. I'm looking forward to reading them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @jhjsw @sadiesmith !

Because you guys said the good stuff started at ep 5, I bingwatched ep 3,4,5 :D

So, he doesn't want women in his kitchen because he thought women lack the physical strength? Pretty reasonable, but I think it's shallow to judge something by seeing one side only.

Chef is a perfectionist in the kitchen, and he pretty much has good reasons for the way he acted. Although, like the Sous Chef said, in order to be respected Chef also needs to show some leadership skills. But, he's getting there... I hope :D

We also get some back story on Goldfish. 

Ugh, her father and brother are useless but by ep 5 they seems slowly come to their senses.

I like that Goldfish can stand her ground with Chef. Although Chef gives her a chance to be a cook through the blindfold audition, but the truth is she's the one who gave him a chance. Like she said, if it wasn't for kindness he showed in ep 1, she wouldn't try so hard to come back to la Sfera. She knows there's more to him than meets the eyes.

The Ex... What she did to him is low. No wonder he hates her. But, I don't know.... in competition, cooks don't taste their own food before present them to the judge? Or not allowed to?

I can see why he's bitter, and although what happened in the past affected him very much, but I'm glad he's still gives Goldfish a benefit of doubt regarding the 10mill Won bribe scandal. I also like the writer didn't drag this misunderstanding too long.

The evil President is hilarious, I guess they intentionally made him comical...

And the side "love" story between that short haired Noona and No Min Woo's character is going to be fun haha

I forget how pretty No Min Woo is. I'm hoping for Partners in Justice season 3 to see him plays a shady character.

Chef is starting to show his charms and cuteness, I understand why so many people love him...

And Lee Sun Kyun speaking Italian is to die for!

On 10/9/2019 at 4:31 AM, sadiesmith said:

I almost envy you because you have all these "new" LSK dramas to watch. hahaha...

I kind of understand how you feel everytime I see someone discovers the masterpiece, My Ahjussi...

• Like 2

Is there anything he wears that is not a sponsored item? What's next? His baseball cap? T-shirt? Lol! :lol:

• LOL 2

@sadiesmith Im trying My Wife is having an affair because of your recommendation hehe.. and @triplem also watching and shes been so fast. Its funny the ep 1.... and haha waiting to see more bromance of him & Lee Sang Yeob. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@sadiesmith Im trying My Wife is having an affair because of your recommendation hehe.. and @triplem also watching and been so fast. Its funny the ep 1.... and haha waiting to see more bromance of him & Lee Sang Yeob. 

@Lawyerh @triplem I'm so glad you're watching. The bromance will only get funnier from here. I don't know if you like to follow recaps, but Candidclown did a hilarious job at recapping the odd episodes on Dramabeans even though she probably didn't personally like the drama that much. In any case, this was one of the best loved dramas on DB in 2016.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

@Lawyerh @sadiesmith my Wife is having an affair is superb . I watched it over 2 days . Really well balanced in terms of humour & storyline . Every character has good character development including the small roles. I cried my eyes out and appreciated  they didn’t gloss over the issues and emotions that the protagonists go through.  I hv one more episode left . One of my best binges this year . My first LKH drama & was so impressed with the raw emotions I felt . I’ll bookmark My Ahjussi & will check out his upcoming drama 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, triplem said:

@Lawyerh @sadiesmithI’ll bookmark My Ahjussi & will check out his upcoming drama 

Im on ep 3 and its fun.

But I think My Ahjussi might be his best work and his chemistry with IU really no joke. My Ahjussi storyline is quite dark & depressing, not really my cup of tea and I really need skip some part.. but the couple is very beautiful! Please bookmark it @triplem

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 10/19/2019 at 4:39 AM, Lawyerh said:

But I think My Ahjussi might be his best work and his chemistry with IU really no joke. My Ahjussi storyline is quite dark & depressing, not really my cup of tea and I really need skip some part.. but the couple is very beautiful! Please bookmark it @triplem

Oh, no doubt My Ajusshi is his best work! I would argue MA is close to the best Korean drama ever produced, that's how much I love it. Unfortunately it is also a bit underrated and could be hard to watch because it's not what people usually look in their dramas. 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:23 AM, triplem said:

@Lawyerh @sadiesmith my Wife is having an affair is superb . I watched it over 2 days . Really well balanced in terms of humour & storyline . Every character has good character development including the small roles. I cried my eyes out and appreciated  they didn’t gloss over the issues and emotions that the protagonists go through.  I hv one more episode left . One of my best binges this year . My first LKH drama & was so impressed with the raw emotions I felt . I’ll bookmark My Ahjussi & will check out his upcoming drama 

I hope when you watch My Ajusshi it would be as satisfying as My Wife is Having an Affair. It's everything My Wife is and more. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Oh, no doubt My Ajusshi is his best work! I would argue MA is close to the best Korean drama ever produced, that's how much I love it.

I normally won't watch drama as dark as this too. But I saw someone made MV and I thought I should give it a try. The couple connection is not usual, very deep and meaningful. I was a bit shaken with this drama to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Pasta & Miss Korea which one better? Actually cooking theme drama, not really my cup of tea, but it seems was very famous. I might start binge watch when I have time...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Pasta & Miss Korea which one better? Actually cooking theme drama, not really my cup of tea, but it seems was very famous. I might start binge watch when I have time...

LSK both had great chemistry with his female leads in both dramas. But IMO, Miss Korea has a better story. But Pasta has better chemistry between LSK and GHJ . Both dramas were written by the same writer so they have the same vibe. :)

• Thanks 2

This reddit thread reminded me of @widala and her recent comment about having a hard time watching LSK in a different drama after My Ajusshi. By the way, how is it going with your Pasta watch?

• Like 3

On 10/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, sadiesmith said:

By the way, how is it going with your Pasta watch?

I have finished it, and right now in the middle of writing my thoughts about the drama...

Speaking of Pasta...

Can't believe these photos are almost 10 years old!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, Lawyerh said:

I normally won't watch drama as dark as this too. But I saw someone made MV and I thought I should give it a try. The couple connection is not usual, very deep and meaningful. I was a bit shaken with this drama to be honest. 

I'm so glad you gave My Ahjussi a chance.

Many people hesitate because of the dark atmosphere and the large age gap between the leads. But, in the end this drama left a warm feeling...

In case you're interested, check out this account IG dedicated to My Ahjussi 

(Shamelessly promoting my own account) :D

• Like 1

I have finished watching Pasta.

Here's my opinion on the drama.

It's from my perspective, so some of you probably don't agree with me...

Spoiler alert

Spoiler

I understand the charms of this drama. 

Goldfish's character who is not afraid of the yelling Chef and always ready to give him the talk back he deserves, gives balance to the hot tempered Chef.
The chemistry between the leads is very good, although I think there's a bit awkwardness when it comes to physical contacts, such as hugging and kissing.

And, of course, the Chef himself. Although in the beginning he started off as a rude jerk, he redeemed a lot towards the end. Not to mention LSK was super hot :wub:
Despite his temper and his lack in leadership skills (which thankfully improve), I really like his fairness and honesty when it comes cooking.

Another thing I like about this drama is that I think the focus between the male lead and the female lead is pretty even.

Usually in a romance drama, the female lead becomes the accessory for the male character development. The recent example is Her Private Life. In the beginning the story did focused on "her life" but slowly shifted to "his life" and her arc took the back seat for his arc. Although I love both leads and their chemistry, I didn't finish the drama.

Pasta, in my opinion, didn't sacrifice one lead for the other's sake.

As for the things I don't like about Pasta...

The subplots, such as the Ex invading Chef's kitchen and trying to win him back, the whiner Eun Soo, the scheming Pres. Seol, the Unnies, the fight between "Korean" cooks and "Italian" cooks, have some fun moments but mostly frustrating for me. But I guess that's what makes the story...

I don't like the "Korean" cooks. They are petty, whiney, vengeful and overall unlikable as a group or personal. At first, I had hope with Sous Chef to keep a level headed but no, instead of being the middle man and try to keep peace in the kitchen, he just went along with the rest of them and creating more problems.

The character I don't like the most is San. Not because he's evil, but because he's weak and unreasonable. He lets Seol step on him. Seol caused a lot problems in the restaurant, which can be easily stopped by San if he use his power as the new Pres. Instead, he abuses that power to install the Ex in the kitchen, which creates more chaos, in the pretence of helping a friend. He's the typical second lead.  The secret admirer who waited years to confess his feeling, right after the object of his affection finds love and just started a relationship. I mean, why? He had a lot of chance... 

At least the Ex is pretty straight forward about her intention. And she wasn't mean or degrading towards Goldfish (like the typical female second lead). Her journey to gain recognition as a Chef and as woman from Chef, was really her way to forgive herself and find confidence she had lost. I can't hate her.

But, what really bothered me about this drama is the misogynistic undertone.
The "no women in my kitchen" since the beginning.
All the female cooks were fired after one mistake, but the male kitchen assistant were persuaded by the Chef himself to come back. He's not even that special, couldn't endure the hardship after only one month compare to Goldfish's three years. So whiney, just grow up please!
This male pride, about not being able to be with a woman who is better than him.
The enforcement of stereotypes, such as "when a woman said no, she doesn't really mean it",
"Men should understand what women want, even when she didn't say anything", and too bad those were said by female characters....
The father who favored his son over his daughter (although he also redeemed, just a bit), who thinks that for a woman, having a man is more important than learning to improve herself.

And the ending really left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended). Goldfish already decided not to go to Italy because of her father, then why Chef has to replace her with that other cook SECRETLY? Making decisions behind her back? Why can't they talk it over? And his reasoning, because he doesn't want to be separate from her? Is that supposed to be romantic? Get in the way of your partner's improvements for your selfish wish?
Although I know, if Goldfish really wants to go, Chef will let her go albeit begrudgingly.
Why do they have to include that scene? Really ruined it for me.

I know those tropes and stereotypes are not this drama's fault alone, because it's like a formula or some kind of trends in dramaland. There's a lot of other dramas out there which could be worse. 

And what's with the background music?! Sometimes it's too loud and didn't match the atmosphere of scene at all. They kept playing that cheerful song despite the seriousness of the scene, so I couldn't really connect emotionally...

In conclusion, Pasta is an enjoyable drama. Maybe it'll be more enjoyable for me if I didn't took it too seriously :D

• Like 3

Im watching Miss Korea 

@jhjsw thanks for your refference. Its quite interesting. The FL is so pretty and looking good with LSK. But was wondering why its not so famous. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Im watching Miss Korea 

@jhjsw thanks for your refference. Its quite interesting. The FL is so pretty and looking good with LSK. But was wondering why its not so famous. 

It was overshadowed by My Love From the Star. Both dramas aired at the same timeslot. I also liked MLFTS and found out about Miss Korea just last year. Ended up liking MK more. It's one of the hidden gems in kdramaland. FL has a very strong character and LSK is really boyfriend material in this drama. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, jhjsw said:

FL has a very strong character and LSK is really boyfriend material in this drama. :wub:

Yeah I like LSK deep voice lol... and I like their bickering too. Anyway really thanks for your suggestion. I will enjoy binge watching now :lol: p.s the ost was good too.

@triplem can u believe Im starting old drama Miss Korea lol. LSK is kind of addictive somehow... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1