Quantcast
Guest suzziee

Lee Seon Gyun 이선균

Yes!!! What a big win for director Bong. Congratulations to him and the whole team. Sooo glad Lee Seon Kyun got this gift of working on this project. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cannes-film-festival-2019-winners-1203225973/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/live/2019/may/25/cannes-film-festival-2019-palme-dor-winner-announced-live

Looks like director and lead actor Song Kang Ho stayed around for the awards ceremony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Yes!!! What a big win for director Bong. Congratulations to him and the whole team. Sooo glad Lee Seon Kyun got this gift of working on this project. 

Yes, so happy that he's in the team :thumbsup:

It was said that the movie will be distributed to 192 countries. Hopefully, my country is included.

Congratulations to Parasite!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, widala said:

It was said that the movie will be distributed to 192 countries. Hopefully, my country is included.

Given that there are only 195 countries in the world, chances are your country will be included. :D

• LOL 1

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Given that there are only 195 countries in the world, chances are your country will be included. :D

True :sweatingbullets:

Now, let's hope that it will open long enough... Unlike PMC, which only opened about a week in my city and I didn't get the chance to watch it :(

1 hour ago, widala said:

True :sweatingbullets:

Now, let's hope that it will open long enough... Unlike PMC, which only opened about a week in my city and I didn't get the chance to watch it :(

Haha... Are you in a major city? I read somewhere it won't come to the US until Nov 22!!! How am I supposed to avoid spoilers if I had to wait that long. :(

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Haha... Are you in a major city? I read somewhere it won't come to the US until Nov 22!!! How am I supposed to avoid spoilers if I had to wait that long. :(

Yes, I'm in a major city. That's why I was disappointed about PMC, because HJW is pretty well known and they played Along with the Gods 1 and 2 here...

What? The movie opens in USA on November? When will it reach my country then?:sweatingbullets:

It will be hard to avoid spoilers once ot was out on theaters...

1 hour ago, widala said:

Yes, I'm in a major city. That's why I was disappointed about PMC, because HJW is pretty well known and they played Along with the Gods 1 and 2 here...

What? The movie opens in USA on November? When will it reach my country then?:sweatingbullets:

It will be hard to avoid spoilers once ot was out on theaters...

According to this article it will be shown in Asia in the month of June, which is heck a lot earlier than November!!! Hopefully now that it has won at Cannes, theaters are more eager to grab it. But who knows!

https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/movies/story/기생충-측-“192개국-판매-한국영화-해외세일즈-1위”-공식입장/ar-AABR3Bz

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

What the hell? He's never looked this young before.

Maybe it's the diet?:D

He's been looking good lately, even when his schedule is hectic between filming King Maker and promoting Parasite... 

Hope he takes care of his health...

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, widala said:

Maybe it's the diet?:D

He's been looking good lately, even when his schedule is hectic between filming King Maker and promoting Parasite... 

Hope he takes care of his health...

Whatever it is, it works. It looks like there is a very capable team that makes sure the whole cast is dressed well.

Some info about the movie: http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?nseq=238152

Interesting excerpt:

The director explained at a press conference that he wanted to focus on family, the basic unit of society to portray the polarized social structure of a capitalist country. That's why this film can earn sympathy not just in Korea but in other countries around the world. As the two families that belong to different social classes start to have overlapping areas in life, they develop a parasitic relationship.

"It is a story about rich and poor, but I recently thought that it's more about the issue of human dignity. I think the matter of being a parasite or being involved in a co-existing relationship depends on how much dignity a person has."

For the rich family played by actors Lee Sun-gyun and Cho Yeo-jeong, keeping a certain distance from those who belong to different social class is very important. And that distance is portrayed through the existence of the smell, which is an important narrative in the film. Talking about the smell is not an easy thing to do even with close friends as it can be rude or offend others.

"This film touches on the very private and sensitive parts using the smell. What's funny is that the rich and the poor don't have a chance to smell each other. But in the movie, a series of situations are created where they get to smell each other. The smell is used as a sharp and sensitive tool in the film."

• Thanks 1

Review: PARASITE Burrows in Deep, but You Won't Want it Out

Pierce%20TBS-thumb-64x64-50819.jpeg
CONTRIBUTOR; SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (@PIERCECONRAN)

Review: PARASITE Burrows in Deep, but You Won't Want it Out

For every Host, there must be a Parasite.

Since his debut Barking Dogs Never Bite 19 years ago, Bong Joon-ho's works have always resisted easy classification. Within stories that stray from one genre to the next, surprising things tend to happen, sometimes horrific, occasionally even fantastic. Disparate elements abound, but a rigid degree of control and an ever-present sense of humor have given us something approaching a stylistic aesthetic we have come to expect from him.

Similarly, the thematic array of his work, not only from film to film, but even from scene to scene, moment to moment, is equally vast and unpredictable. Yet here too we find a common thread, never more richly explored than in his latest work, Parasite. Social inequality forms the pulsating heart of Bong's blindsiding Palme d'Or winner, which is sure to rank among the director's most impressive, and certainly darkest, films to date.

Bong teams up for the fourth time with the great Song Kang-ho, who portrays Ki-taek, the genial patriarch in the poor Kim family. When his son, Ki-woo (Choi Woo-shik), lands the job of English tutor for the daughter of wealthy CEO Park (Lee Sun-kyun) and his wife (Cho Yeo-jeong), the two families collide in the most unusual ways imaginable.

This devastating social parable intersects these two wildly different families, one eeking out a lowly existence in a dank basement apartment, the other living it large in a designer home high in the hills of Seoul. The film opens with a street view, as seen from the Kim family's grimy, underground dwelling, and cranes down into their subterranean hovel.

The WiFi signal the Kims have been mooching has vanished, prompting son and daughter (Park So-dam) to pace around their cramped abode, phones held up to the ceiling, while Ki-taek and his wife (Chang Hyae-jin) direct them from the floor. Eventually they find a signal, but only while crouching beside the toilet bowl, curiously perched atop a small flight of tiled stairs in their yellowing bathroom. Beyond introducing the wonderful interplay of this resourceful and curiously jaunty family, this bold opening sequence playfully presents symbols and thematic devices that will recur throughout Bong's film.

While the Kim's home sits half-buried at the dead end of a twisted alley, the Park residence clings to a hillside, nestled within its own protected oasis at the apex of a sleekly paved road. The lone light source for the Kims, a rectangular window no more than a foot high, is routinely urinated on by drunken middle-aged men who've reached the end of the road. Meanwhile, the Parks sit in their living room, looking out through a similarly-shaped but infinitely larger window, into a small landscaped forest, hidden from the rest of the world.

These windows highlight the different circumstances of the protagonists, but also the vastly different ways they view the world. While most tales exploring social divides might demonize the greed of the haves or the corrupting ambitions of the have nots, Bong's approach is far more empathetic. He shows the quick-witted Kims as survivors with a loose moral code, while the Parks are generally decent people, who care for their children and have grown somewhat aloof within the trappings of their social class.

If there is a villain in Parasite, it's the top-down social structure in which these characters exist, symbolized by an array of staircases and various props, such as a special stone given to the Kims, said to bring its owner wealth and prosperity. Though the Kims are all unemployed, they seem comfortable with their station, and indeed any other, as they adapt easily to whatever situation they find themselves in. The unquenchably optimistic Ki-woo constantly marvels at objects and situations, calling them 'metaphorical', including this rock, but his interpretations, such as his evaluation of a piece of art drawn by the Parks' young son, sometimes prove false. Throughout the film, things are rarely as they seem.

Though Parasite is very much an ensemble piece, and features uniformly impeccable performances, a pair of roles do stand out. Unsurprisingly, Song Kang-ho shines as Ki-taek, employing his brilliant comic timing and intonation to tease out side-splitting laughs. His delivery swerves up and down, halts and flows, even as his delivery rarely edges above a breathless whisper. Then we have Lee Jung-eun, a bit part player from many Korean films (including Bong's Mother and Okja), who is a revelation here, masterfully cool and composed as the prim Park housekeeper.

Bong's complex, seamless script, the less known about prior to viewing the better, is brought to life by a stellar production crew, which includes the pristine photography of his Mother and Snowpiercer cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo, and the contrasting and richly symbolic spaces designed by Lee Ha-jun (Okja). Where Parasite lands within Bong's filmography will depend on the viewer, but there's no doubt that his return to Korean filmmaking after a decade away is a triumphant one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@widala, what do you think the director is talking about? My translator did such a poor job.

From which article?

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

It seems like the Director is talking about the love scene between CEO Park and his wife *blush

He tried to make the scene to be realistic and casual, and not aiming on the sexiness only because it's not a sexy movie (am I saying this right? :sweatingbullets:)

He called it the "sofa scene"...

I don't know, could this pic be the still cut from that scene?

Ugh, can't wait to watch the movie...

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Sounds like a good reaction to LSK's performance?

Glad to hear good words about our actor :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, widala said:

It seems like the Director is talking about the love scene between CEO Park and his wife *blush

He tried to make the scene to be realistic and casual, and not aiming on the sexiness only because it's not a sexy movie (am I saying this right? :sweatingbullets:)

I don't know, could this pic be the still cut from that scene?

Ugh, can't wait to watch the movie...

Glad to hear good words about our actor :thumbsup:

That picture was more than I can handle...plus he just looks too perfect in this movie and these days in general like the premier and all, it's almost like he ages backwards or just keeps getting better with age...what is this sorcery.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, widala said:

Thank you. You did a much better job than my translator. :lol:  Anyway, this actress Jo Yo-jeong is not one to shy away from taking off her clothes for erotic scenes, though I doubt they went there for this movie. It's rated PG-15 after all.

• LOL 1

"fan" on Dramabeans translated the article for me. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://star.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/201905301063091443

Here it is (roughly). [star.hankookilbo.com,2019.05.30]

Director Bong Joon-ho of Parasite "I felt disappointed because there was no mention for Lee Sun-kyun X Jo Yeo-jung's sofa scene"(interview 2)

Director Bong Joon-ho confessed that he put more efforts on the sofa scene of the actors Lee Sun-kyun and Jo Yeo-jung. Director Bong Joon-ho laughed at the interview done on the afternoon of May 30th, saying, "I felt disappointed because no one, from the Cannes to here, mentioned about Lee Sun-kyun and Jo Yeo-jung's sofa scene, but I am happy I got the compliments."

He said, "I prepared hard. I discussed with actors a lot. First of all they are husband and wife. I said we should do more realistic and boldly. But not making moaning sound. Since this movie doesn't have goal of being erotic, you know."

"I feel one more layer was added for Sun-kyun ssi. (President Park) usually appears with manner and gentleness, but he used vulgar language deliberately there. With finger movements as well. It also fit into the whole tone of the movie." He added.

Bong explained, "This movie has tone of a very close-up look at the privacy of others. It could be seen as no significant events, because 90% of the movie was filmed in two houses. House is a personal space. Usually there is a common distance we maintain with other people. (For Parasite) Camera crossed the line a lot."

He said, "They say something they should never say between different classes. Since it is talk between husband and wife, it is not wrong. But those are words which could get you in big trouble if it is mentioned in public. The words which would be not enough even if you make public apology for it. However, that is the cruelty of circumstances, and since it was in tune with the stealthful circumstances, tension of the scene which was more or less risqué was created."

Lastly, he praised the actors, thinking back. "I had a lot of discussions with Lee Sun-kyun ssi and Jo Yeo-jung ssi, and I filmed relatively smoothly when shooting."

The movie Parasite, starring Choi Woo-sik, depicts a story that begins when the Ki-taek (Song Gang-ho) family's eldest son Gi-woo (Choi Woo-sik) steps in president Park(Lee Sun-kyun)'s house. The sharp contrast between rich and poor families attracts attention, and it is work showing director Bong Joon-ho's outstanding wits. It was released today (30th).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End translation-------------------------

Apparently this "crossing of the line" did get some viewers quite uncomfortable. ahem.

https://www.gokorea.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=217757

• Thanks 1