Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

41 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@sadiesmith Im trying My Wife is having an affair because of your recommendation hehe.. and @triplem also watching and been so fast. Its funny the ep 1.... and haha waiting to see more bromance of him & Lee Sang Yeob. 

@Lawyerh @triplem I'm so glad you're watching. The bromance will only get funnier from here. I don't know if you like to follow recaps, but Candidclown did a hilarious job at recapping the odd episodes on Dramabeans even though she probably didn't personally like the drama that much. In any case, this was one of the best loved dramas on DB in 2016.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 4:39 AM, Lawyerh said:

But I think My Ahjussi might be his best work and his chemistry with IU really no joke. My Ahjussi storyline is quite dark & depressing, not really my cup of tea and I really need skip some part.. but the couple is very beautiful! Please bookmark it @triplem

Oh, no doubt My Ajusshi is his best work! I would argue MA is close to the best Korean drama ever produced, that's how much I love it. Unfortunately it is also a bit underrated and could be hard to watch because it's not what people usually look in their dramas. 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:23 AM, triplem said:

@Lawyerh @sadiesmith my Wife is having an affair is superb . I watched it over 2 days . Really well balanced in terms of humour & storyline . Every character has good character development including the small roles. I cried my eyes out and appreciated  they didn’t gloss over the issues and emotions that the protagonists go through.  I hv one more episode left . One of my best binges this year . My first LKH drama & was so impressed with the raw emotions I felt . I’ll bookmark My Ahjussi & will check out his upcoming drama 

I hope when you watch My Ajusshi it would be as satisfying as My Wife is Having an Affair. It's everything My Wife is and more. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Pasta & Miss Korea which one better? Actually cooking theme drama, not really my cup of tea, but it seems was very famous. I might start binge watch when I have time...

LSK both had great chemistry with his female leads in both dramas. But IMO, Miss Korea has a better story. But Pasta has better chemistry between LSK and GHJ . Both dramas were written by the same writer so they have the same vibe. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, sadiesmith said:

By the way, how is it going with your Pasta watch?

I have finished it, and right now in the middle of writing my thoughts about the drama...

Speaking of Pasta...

Can't believe these photos are almost 10 years old!

On 10/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, Lawyerh said:

I normally won't watch drama as dark as this too. But I saw someone made MV and I thought I should give it a try. The couple connection is not usual, very deep and meaningful. I was a bit shaken with this drama to be honest. 

I'm so glad you gave My Ahjussi a chance.

Many people hesitate because of the dark atmosphere and the large age gap between the leads. But, in the end this drama left a warm feeling...

In case you're interested, check out this account IG dedicated to My Ahjussi 

(Shamelessly promoting my own account) :D

• Like 1

I have finished watching Pasta.

Here's my opinion on the drama.

It's from my perspective, so some of you probably don't agree with me...

Spoiler alert

Spoiler

I understand the charms of this drama. 

Goldfish's character who is not afraid of the yelling Chef and always ready to give him the talk back he deserves, gives balance to the hot tempered Chef.
The chemistry between the leads is very good, although I think there's a bit awkwardness when it comes to physical contacts, such as hugging and kissing.

And, of course, the Chef himself. Although in the beginning he started off as a rude jerk, he redeemed a lot towards the end. Not to mention LSK was super hot :wub:
Despite his temper and his lack in leadership skills (which thankfully improve), I really like his fairness and honesty when it comes cooking.

Another thing I like about this drama is that I think the focus between the male lead and the female lead is pretty even.

Usually in a romance drama, the female lead becomes the accessory for the male character development. The recent example is Her Private Life. In the beginning the story did focused on "her life" but slowly shifted to "his life" and her arc took the back seat for his arc. Although I love both leads and their chemistry, I didn't finish the drama.

Pasta, in my opinion, didn't sacrifice one lead for the other's sake.

As for the things I don't like about Pasta...

The subplots, such as the Ex invading Chef's kitchen and trying to win him back, the whiner Eun Soo, the scheming Pres. Seol, the Unnies, the fight between "Korean" cooks and "Italian" cooks, have some fun moments but mostly frustrating for me. But I guess that's what makes the story...

I don't like the "Korean" cooks. They are petty, whiney, vengeful and overall unlikable as a group or personal. At first, I had hope with Sous Chef to keep a level headed but no, instead of being the middle man and try to keep peace in the kitchen, he just went along with the rest of them and creating more problems.

The character I don't like the most is San. Not because he's evil, but because he's weak and unreasonable. He lets Seol step on him. Seol caused a lot problems in the restaurant, which can be easily stopped by San if he use his power as the new Pres. Instead, he abuses that power to install the Ex in the kitchen, which creates more chaos, in the pretence of helping a friend. He's the typical second lead.  The secret admirer who waited years to confess his feeling, right after the object of his affection finds love and just started a relationship. I mean, why? He had a lot of chance... 

At least the Ex is pretty straight forward about her intention. And she wasn't mean or degrading towards Goldfish (like the typical female second lead). Her journey to gain recognition as a Chef and as woman from Chef, was really her way to forgive herself and find confidence she had lost. I can't hate her.

But, what really bothered me about this drama is the misogynistic undertone.
The "no women in my kitchen" since the beginning.
All the female cooks were fired after one mistake, but the male kitchen assistant were persuaded by the Chef himself to come back. He's not even that special, couldn't endure the hardship after only one month compare to Goldfish's three years. So whiney, just grow up please!
This male pride, about not being able to be with a woman who is better than him.
The enforcement of stereotypes, such as "when a woman said no, she doesn't really mean it",
"Men should understand what women want, even when she didn't say anything", and too bad those were said by female characters....
The father who favored his son over his daughter (although he also redeemed, just a bit), who thinks that for a woman, having a man is more important than learning to improve herself.

And the ending really left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended). Goldfish already decided not to go to Italy because of her father, then why Chef has to replace her with that other cook SECRETLY? Making decisions behind her back? Why can't they talk it over? And his reasoning, because he doesn't want to be separate from her? Is that supposed to be romantic? Get in the way of your partner's improvements for your selfish wish?
Although I know, if Goldfish really wants to go, Chef will let her go albeit begrudgingly.
Why do they have to include that scene? Really ruined it for me.

I know those tropes and stereotypes are not this drama's fault alone, because it's like a formula or some kind of trends in dramaland. There's a lot of other dramas out there which could be worse. 

And what's with the background music?! Sometimes it's too loud and didn't match the atmosphere of scene at all. They kept playing that cheerful song despite the seriousness of the scene, so I couldn't really connect emotionally...

In conclusion, Pasta is an enjoyable drama. Maybe it'll be more enjoyable for me if I didn't took it too seriously :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Im watching Miss Korea 

@jhjsw thanks for your refference. Its quite interesting. The FL is so pretty and looking good with LSK. But was wondering why its not so famous. 

It was overshadowed by My Love From the Star. Both dramas aired at the same timeslot. I also liked MLFTS and found out about Miss Korea just last year. Ended up liking MK more. It's one of the hidden gems in kdramaland. FL has a very strong character and LSK is really boyfriend material in this drama. :wub:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Btw so sorry guys anyone know the title for the background music in Miss Korea? Normally when SK & YH scene together, this song will be played. It seems not the official OST. Thanks so much :wub:

I love all OSTs in Miss Korea. Can you name which episode and the timestamp? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Ep 2. Timestamp 44:40 is where LSK looking for YH character. I think its not official OST, feels like I heard this song somewhere before...

Is this it? If it is, it's an official OST. 

Street of Angels by Every Single Day

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Oh yes yes thanks so much, sorry I think I miss it out. Such a beautiful song I love it a lot. 

I like the couple chemistry, but sometimes theres not enough screentime with just both of them :lol: Cos they always have a lot of ppl around them haha.... 

I love their chemistry too. I was hesitating to watch it at first because of their age difference but their chemistry was spot on. Plus LSK makes everything sound sexy because of his voice. :wub:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Oh yes yes thanks so much, sorry I think I miss it out. Such a beautiful song I love it a lot. 

I like the couple chemistry, but sometimes theres not enough screentime with just both of them :lol: Cos they always have a lot of ppl around them haha.... 

I am so happy to wake up to a discussion on Miss Korea. Being the true LSK fan that I am, I saw this live during the airing and felt sad that this underrated gem got completely lost in the mania surrounding My Love from the Star. But I enjoyed it immensely for the nostalgic vibes, the understated romance, the side stories, and the awesome female characters all around. And some scenes were funny as hell. Yes, it was slow in parts, and in my rewatch I would just skip them. But overall it was a very heartwarming story with a winning OTP and characters that felt very real. The male lead was not the strongest role for LSK, but he put his all into it as always. 

The OSTs were so awesome that I still remember them to this day. Other than the one you asked, I also loved Hero, New World, a few other instrumental pieces, and the oldies the music director so cleverly chosen for specific scenes.

Hope you continue to share your thoughts here.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2019 at 7:28 AM, Lawyerh said:

@sadiesmith@jhjsw I have to admit I also in the MLIFAS boat back then and totally missed this gem drama. I just found out LSK only recently, also the main reason I don't really know this drama. And LYH actually in my hit or miss actress. I like her pretty face, but her acting in Ghost a bit lacking for me. But glad to say, here, she improved so much and perhaps because LSK is veteran and can bring the best out of her. 

About the OTP pair MK

- The age gap

As oppa in neighbourhood, he does look older than her. LSK in uniform a bit funny tho :lol: After their meeting again, I found its nicer. Hes a bit look like ahjussi taking care of his younger lover. I actually like couple with some age gap most of the time. 

- The pain hidden

As the story of their past unfold rather slowly, we don't really know what causing anomisity between them. And after revealed the reason of their breakup, im kind of understand the pain of losing 1st love. Isn't most of young love separation caused by distance, in this case he goes to university & she doesn't.

- The vulnerability

When she lost Miss Seoul in top 5. I love LSK expression that mixed of sad but still want to give her his full support. And when she cry her heart out, because she feels shes not pretty enough and he hugged her. Love it! 

7m2eMwt.gif

Cr.owner. 

- For shallow reason, the visual :D

I love how the pair look together. It might not the strongest character for LSK, but ain't he the most handsome here @sadiesmith:lol: 

The plot story on the loanshark is a bit extra, and I wish more main OTP. But i havent abused any FF button, so its still tolerable. 

I think this OTP might come to 2nd place, still after My Ahjussi. For reason MA couple is more heartbreaking, more desperate (even his breath emphasize his despair) and the ending.... :tears: @widala

Sorry rather long, thanks for reading and much thanks for you guys warm welcome here :wub:

@triplem @Heidi Seow @phoenix24 check it out Miss Korea if u guys have time. 

I love everything u said about the drama. Exactly how i felt watching it. It just keeps getting better until the end. I love the development of the OTPs relationship. From immature to mature lovers. 

The scene where they were exchanging messages using the baseball was so sweet. But the fact the LSK's character is being the most supportive boyfriend ever (or manager.. Whatever. Lol) is my favorite part of the show. You'll see when you get until the end of the drama. 

• Like 2

@jhjsw, @sadiesmith, @Lawyerh

I've finished watching Miss Korea, and you guys are right, this drama is a gem :thumbsup:

Too bad it's very underrated...

And because it's from the same writer, I think the story is far better than Pasta. Especially, the male lead.

In my opinion, Hyun Joong is more swoonworthy than Chef.

He's very supportive of her. Everytime he defend her I just went awww so sweet...

I love Oh Ji Young, and Lee Yoon Hee's acting is very good in this drama. 

The supporting characters are also very good.

The side love story is cute. It's like the trope "bad boy fell for the nerd" only in real life :D

I adore Dir. Ma. She's very classy.

I think this writer is very good at writing strong female characters. I haven't watch this writer's recent works though, Jealousy Incarnate and Wok of Love.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, widala said:

@jhjsw, @sadiesmith, @Lawyerh

I've finished watching Miss Korea, and you guys are right, this drama is a gem :thumbsup:

Too bad it's very underrated...

And because it's from the same writer, I think the story is far better than Pasta. Especially, the male lead.

In my opinion, Hyun Joong is more swoonworthy than Chef.

He's very supportive of her. Everytime he defend her I just went awww so sweet...

I love Oh Ji Young, and Lee Yoon Hee's acting is very good in this drama. 

The supporting characters are also very good.

The side love story is cute. It's like the trope "bad boy fell for the nerd" only in real life :D

I adore Dir. Ma. She's very classy.

I think this writer is very good at writing strong female characters. I haven't watch this writer's recent works though, Jealousy Incarnate and Wok of Love.

I've watched both Jealousy Incarnate and Wok Of Love but IMO, Pasta and Miss Korea are better than her recent works. And I still think that Miss Korea is her best writing. 

So glad you liked MK. Such a gem. Come to think of it. I think I am missing LSK in a light romantic drama. 

• Like 2

That very affectionate saranghae at the end of the phone call with wife Jeon Hye Jin! :wub:  Such a sweetheart. I never realized Koreans end their phone calls with I love you until LSK came along. They do it all the time here in the States, but people here are generally more open with showing affection.  

• Like 2