Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Guest MagicSwallow

hi guys ^^

currently new to soompi and this thread, but i hope everyone will welcome me ^_^

hmm, let's see, i've only known KDW for a little over a week . . . i had stumbled across Temptation of the Wolves and ever since then, I have watched it at least once a day :lol: obsessed huh? thanks for all the pictures btw! he's droolworthy and a total cutie :wub:

i know someone posted a clubbox full of his stuff, just a lil question, do they happen to have any english subs or all korean? anyway, i hope more fans can introduce themselves :D

Guest m*room

m*room !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the land of kangdongwonians ^^

nice to have you here ...

visit this thread more often ... you'll find some more pictures here ^^

thaxx......

:D:D:D:D

Guest ponkie

hi guys ^^

currently new to soompi and this thread, but i hope everyone will welcome me ^_^

hmm, let's see, i've only known KDW for a little over a week . . . i had stumbled across Temptation of the Wolves and ever since then, I have watched it at least once a day :lol: obsessed huh? thanks for all the pictures btw! he's droolworthy and a total cutie :wub:

i know someone posted a clubbox full of his stuff, just a lil question, do they happen to have any english subs or all korean? anyway, i hope more fans can introduce themselves :D

Of course we welcome you. So Welcome~ :D I'm Zoe, you can call me camy.. easier to remember.

By the way, your nick is quite familiar, do you make fanfic poster or visit winglin.net? Anyway, the clubbox has some english subs, some raw, you just have to search around. If the files include a .srt, then that's your subtitle, if not, then it's raw.

Thanks for the OST, oceanluv. Yeah, I want to know which song KDW & HJW sang also.

Guest sohslub

he's really good looking!!!!!

when i was in Korea, i really liked him!

he seems like a really nice person~~~~ :wub:

"duelist" i guess it is a movie, well never seen it... but it must be really good movie if Kangdongwon is in it!

Wow, thanks oceanluv for the OST. I'm d/l all the piano verison first =)

Oh, and a big, warm welcome to m*room and MagicSwallow

--edit--

Omg! The Love Son piano solo version is so nice T____T

Now I really want to watch the movie.

Guest MagicSwallow

Of course we welcome you. So Welcome~ :D I'm Zoe, you can call me camy.. easier to remember.

By the way, your nick is quite familiar, do you make fanfic poster or visit winglin.net? Anyway, the clubbox has some english subs, some raw, you just have to search around. If the files include a .srt, then that's your subtitle, if not, then it's raw.

Thanks for the OST, oceanluv. Yeah, I want to know which song KDW & HJW sang also.

hey camy ^^ nice to meet you! I used to be from winglin, how did you know? :) but that has been some time ago. were you a regular at winglin before? :D thanks for telling me about Clubbox . . . i am still confused on how to use it ;)

and thanks Island for welcoming me ^_^

Guest ponkie

hey camy ^^ nice to meet you! I used to be from winglin, how did you know? :) but that has been some time ago. were you a regular at winglin before? :D thanks for telling me about Clubbox . . . i am still confused on how to use it ;)

and thanks Island for welcoming me ^_^

Not really a regular, just hang out around looking at graphic. :D I really like your works, that's why I remember your nick. There's a clubbox thread here on the k-drama & movies thread, if you have any problem, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. :)

Guest MagicSwallow

Good ol' AWA days :wub:

20040531022802129bv.jpg

still48br.jpg

Credit: someone form last thread -____-;;

yes, good ol' AWA days. alright, gonna go watch AWA again :lol:

Not really a regular, just hang out around looking at graphic. :D I really like your works, that's why I remember your nick. There's a clubbox thread here on the k-drama & movies thread, if you have any problem, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. :)

thanks, i'll make sure to check around the thread for help ^_^

Guest l33mimi
Guest Airine Pratama

hi guys ^^

Oops too late to welcome you but anyway WELCOME MagicSwallow !!!!

Enjoy yourself being one of us ^^

We're happy that you're here ...

Watch AWA for at least once a day? that's WOW :o ... :lol:

hiiii! i'm back too!

now that sats are over, i think i'll FINALLLLY update more on soompi

Hiii sandy_k ... Welcome back to Soompi esp to KDW's thread

;)

Good ol' AWA days :wub:

Too add some more from the Good ol' AWA days ^^ :P

mio1006139do.jpg

credit kangdongwon81 & me ^^

Guest Airine Pratama

^ I d/l the whole thing and there's only 1 song with a female singing it and another song with a male singing it. I don't think it's them. The others are just instrumentals and such.

From the OST ... the movie seems good and artistic ...

Thanks again OCEANLUV :D

Here are some more pic i found ...

He looks hot ^^ ... I love KDW!!!!

blackie3jq.jpg

more pics from PIFF

onul3if.jpg

>_< sorry it's too small ... that's what i got ...

more pics ... don't know if these are new or old ... but i just found it ...

onul26tc.jpg

onul30tv.jpg

It's hard to find some news in English ... ><

But at least i can post some pictures ^^

Enjoy it ...

ah ... credit to cyworld ^^

Guest Airine Pratama

Old article on DUELIST ...

'형사' ('Duelist') Press Screening Report

jiwonihyuyngsa.jpg

After a long wait, Lee Myung-Se's first film in 6 years is finally upon us. '형사' ('Duelist') had its long awaited press screening at the CGV in Yongsan, last August 30. Present at the premiere the Director and stars Ha Ji-Won, Kang Dong-Won and veteran Ahn Sung-Gi. The film sees female inspector Nam-Soon (Ha Ji-Won) trail the mysterious 'Sad Eyes' (Kang Dong-Won), balancing their rivalry with their mounting attraction for each other. The 7.8 Billion Won film debuts on September 8.

Interviews and Comments

Press: What was the main focus while editing the film?

Director Lee Myung-Se: Of course, the most important thing when editing is finding the right rhythm. But aside from that, the feelings you evoke are equally important. We tried to emphasize scenes that showed the building feeling between the two main characters

Press: The fashion and colour in the film are quite unique. Did you intend to stray from typical Historical Drama style from the beginning?

Lee: If you say Historical Drama, aren't there fixed notions that come to mind concerning the costumes? All you need to do is use your imagination. We just comfortably put the [hanbok's] strings in the back, thinking that would have helped people who have to run and are in constant movement, hampered by the bulkiness of traditional clothing. Since we couldn't find info when we researched the work of inspectors in that era, we just created it on our own, thinking what could have happened in situations like that.

If you think of a traditional colour in Korea, white comes to mind. But it looked hard for the commoners to just constantly wash and wear them again. On top of that, when I was young we used to piece together yellow or red cloth to patch the holes in our clothes, our concept was to adapt that kind of fashion statement or trend into our film. It might be a Historical Drama, but people watching the film are living in the present, not the past. What we tried to do here was to not distance ourselves from the present, so much that you'd find it hard to relate to what the characters feel. We didn't worry about always being true to Historical evidence, or creating some kind of fresh concept.

Press: Is there a reason why you approached the action as if it were like dancing? Especially Kang Dong-Won's action makes an impression.

Lee: There's a special reason for that, obviously. If I mention Kang Dong-Won, isn't that the star we all know? The production changes according to the actors. Thinking about Kang, I wanted to distance myself from all the stereotypes of a star. And because this was the man our heroine Nam-Soon loves, I took a more imagination-based approach, more than a realistic one. Another important reason was rhythm: since we had to show feeling through action, we made it look like a dance.

Press: Looking at the Chinese press, a lot of them mention how there are many similarities with Zhang Yimou's '英雄' ('Hero') or '十面埋伏' ('House of Flying Daggers'). Even the title has two characters [ed. Korean title of House of Flying Daggers is 연인, Lovers] like those films. I'm curious about what you feel are the differences between Chinese and Korean action.

Lee: They say that because they come from China, and it's peculiar that they mention the use of two characters. Of course people who came here know that, but as the person who made it, I think it's completely different [from Zhang's films]. Films from China or Hong Kong show spectacular action with the use of wires, and the traditional Beijing Opera's foundations. But here, with the exception of a few scenes, we never used wires, and more than spectacular action we put more emphasis on feeling. Just like the Japanese reporter introduced it, isn't this a film you have never seen before?

Press Reaction

Kim Bong-Seok: I really liked it. Because it's a typical Lee Myung-Se film, it would be better to approach it without paying too much attention to the story. While the story goes on, the film doesn't use traditional ways to tell the character's situations. The changes in the characters don't develop through exposition, gently revealing details for the viewer. Instead, Director Lee repeatedly unfolds the story underlining emotional involvement. Through the action scenes and the unique editing, you can see that traditional Lee Myung-Se style emerge. Compared to his past works, this film shows traces of the past, more than a particular transformation.

Kim Ui-Chan: I think that the visuals in Lee Myung-Se's films are more enhanced than in any other film. Compared to recent Korean films, Duelist emphasizes 'images' over everything else, so much that the warriors' fighting scenes in the film shine as a result. I also was interested in finding traces of Lee's past works, like '개그맨' ('Gagman') and '첫사랑' ('First Love'). If you had to find a flaw, it might be that of a story that needs the viewer to venture into a guessing game to be understood. The reaction and judgment of the public will be measured on whether or not they can find as much interest in the loosely pieced out story as in the great power of visuals in the film.

Shim Young-Seob: The visuals reach a climax here. Overall, the film's style generates a very prominent manhwa (Korean comics)-like feeling, and the fusion between different genre forms is very strong. From beginning to end, the images reign supreme, emphasized in an even stronger way than in Lee's past work, '인정사정 볼 것 없다' ('Nowhere To Hide'). The most entertaining thing about the film weren't camera tricks like slow and fast motion, but the actor themselves moving slowly or very fast without any camera trick. That kind of sense of motion is really interesting. The film also gives that exaggerated visual sense of 'Warrior inside the Moon' you get from the latest Zhang Yimou works, and evokes that manhwa-like Chinese wire-action ballet feeling. Who's the best stylist in Korean Cinema, Park Chan-Wook or Lee Myung-se? I'm curious. It's also a film that reveals a new beauty which was buried inside all the comedy roles Kang Dong-Won acted in.

Quick Judgment

Yonhap News' Kim Byung-Gyu

Film Quality: GOOD

Box Office Potential: GOOD

Segye Ilbo's Kim Shin-Sung

Film Quality: EXCELLENT

Box Office Potential: EXCELLENT

Premiere's Shim Soo-Jin

Box Office Potential: GOOD

Movieweek's Lee Joo-Young

Film Quality: AVERAGE

Box Office Potential: AVERAGE

Herald Economy's Lee Hyung-Seok

Box Office Potential: EXCELLENT

Kyunghyang Sports' Choi Jae-Wook

Box Office Potential: AVERAGE

most of the comentator said the movie is about Good/Excellent ...

only one comment said it's average ...