Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Korean University Students Vote For Their TOP 5 Most Respected Koreans, Actors, Idols, and More

Here’s who Korean students picked.

Korean University students from around the country voted on their TOP 5’s in many categories, including their most respected Korean, most respected foreigner, television host, athlete, movie director, actor, and idol. Here’s who they chose.

Most respected Korean
Kim Yuna
King Sejong
Dr. Lee Guk Jong
Admiral Lee Soon Shin
Yoo Jae Suk

Most respected foreigner
Steve Jobs
Bill Gates
Barack Obama
Warren Buffet
Donald Trump

Most preferred Politician
Moon Jae In
Noh Moo Hyun
Lee Jae Myung
Rhyu Si Min
Sim Sang Jung & Yoo Seong Min (tie)

Most preferred economic figure
Samsung Electronics Vice President Lee Jaeyong
Samsung Chairman Lee Kun Hee
Hyundai Founder Chung Ju Yung
Ottogi Chairman Ham Young Joon
Hotel Shilla President Lee Boo Jin

Most preferred TV Anchor
JTBC Sohn Suk Hee
KBS Park Dae Ki
Jang Sung Gyu
MBC Lee Yong Ma
MBC Choi Il Gu & Son Sang Yoon

Most preferred athlete
Kim Yuna (Figure Skating)
Son Heung Min (Soccer)
Park Ji Sung (Soccer)
Kim Yeon Koung (Volleyball)
Ryu Hyun Jin (Baseball)

Most preferred movie director
Bong Joon Ho
Park Chan Wook
Christopher Nolan
Steven Spielberg
Lee Byung Heon

Most preferred Actor/Actress
Song Kang Ho
Ha Jung Woo
Kim Hye Soo
Lee Byung Hun
Kang Dong Won & Kim Tae Ri (tie)

Most preferred singer
IU
BTS
Park Hyo Shin
Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon
TWICE

source

eng https://www.koreaboo.com/news/korean-university-students-vote-respected-koreans-actors-idols/?fbclid=IwAR2ZD5XjP2Aj6R8G_KUIsHYKWgXbac3SbZO4UgtRwEn-REGTfzGkKAYMOqI

kor http://news.unn.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=220246

Korea's Favorite Single Stars.

① Kim Hye Soo
② Gong Yoo
Gang Dong Won 
④ Jung Woo Sung
⑤ Hong Jin Young
⑥ Ha Jung Woo
⑦ Go Hyun Jung
⑧ Gong Hyo Jin
⑨ Kim Gun Mo
⑩ Kim Sa Rang

start at 1.33

U-KISS Eli’s Wife Confesses She’s Actually Another Male Celebrity’s Fan

She made everyone laugh with her whole confession.

Ji Yeon-soo, the wife of U-KISS‘s Eli, confessed her fan feelings for another Korean celebrity!

Recently, Ji Yeon-soo opened up about being Eli’s wife on a Channel A program. “I fought a lot with my husband about appearing on the show. The person I love is a celebrity, but I didn’t want to be known to him. I didn’t like that my childbirth was a hot topic for a long time.”

Untouchable‘s Sleepy and Lady Jane asked: “Who is that person?” And Ji Yeon-soo replied, “Gang Dong-won.” She added, “I loved him as a fan at the time, but I didn’t like the idea of appearing on a show like this and discuss the topics of marriage and childbirth.”

When asked, “What did Eli say after hearing that?” Ji Yeon-soo said, “I spoke so quickly that he couldn’t hear me well,” inviting laughter from everyone else.

Ji Yeon-soo’s story is pretty funny, and we imagine it’s relatable to many people. Even though you love your partner, sometimes you can’t help but have a crush on a celebrity.

Are you in a committed relationship but have a crush on a celebrity? If yes, who is your celebrity crush?

source :

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/gdragon-tears-3000-fans-celebrate-discharge

http://news.kstyle.com/article.ksn?articleNo=2128072

Kim Young Dae On Resembling Kang Dong Won, Acting Cheesy Scenes In “Extraordinary You,” And More

Spoiler

During a recent interview, Kim Young Dae shared his thoughts on MBC’s “Extraordinary You,” his resemblance to Kang Dong Won, his goals for the future, and more.

In “Extraordinary You,” Kim Young Dae plays Oh Nam Joo, a typical bad boy who has everything. He is wealthy, handsome, and popular among girls, but he only has his eyes set on Yeo Joo Da (played by APRIL’s Naeun).

Kim Young Dae shared, “After I read the script for ‘Extraordinary You,’ I looked up the original webtoon. It was the epitome of romance comics, and I had fun while reading it.” He continued, “In the introduction, Oh Nam Joo is described as Kim Tan of ‘The Heirs‘ and Goo Jun Pyo of ‘Boys Over Flowers.’ I took those dramas as reference, but I didn’t try to mimic them. They are based on real life, but this drama is based on a comic. I approached the character while considering cheesy sides that are typical of a main character from a romance comic.”

Kim Young Dae also explained that his actual personality is the opposite of Oh Nam Joo’s.

The actor shared, “I’m not a tsundere. I like to be friendly to girls I like, just like Lee Do Hwa (Jung Gun Joo) is in the drama. I do have a silly side like Oh Nam Joo, but except for that, we are complete opposites. I’m usually very quiet and similar to Lee Do Hwa when I’m with close friends.”

Regarding his method to approaching cheesy scenes, Kim Young Dae commented, “It’s very hard. I don’t talk like that nor say things like that in real life. I doubt there is someone who actually talks like that. I thought a lot about how I need to deliver these lines considering the flow of the comic. I had to understand why I would say these things first. I thought about how On Nam Joo spent his childhood. I approached those scenes by thinking that because Nam Joo has never liked a girl before, he must be awkward with [expressing his emotions].”

Kim Young Dae also shared his thoughts on his resemblance to Kang Dong Won. The actor stated, “I’ve heard that before, but I don’t think we look alike. I like and admire Kang Dong Won very much, but I don’t think I look like him.”

He stated, “I’m being careful. I think I have my own charming points. I want to act for a long time, so instead of being someone’s 2.0, I’m trying to be Kim Young Dae who has his own colors. I’m constantly trying to find my unique side.”

Spoiler

Kim Young Dae concluded the interview by sharing his hopes for the future. The actor said, “I’ve only taken on roles that are visually similar to each other so far. I want to improve my acting to take on roles with different occupations. I want to build a wider spectrum, and ‘Extraordinary You’ was a good experience for me. I want to become an actor who is consistent and has high self-esteem.”

Check out Kim Young Dae in the latest episode of “Extraordinary You” below:

source https://www.soompi.com/article/1362465wpp/kim-young-dae-on-resembling-kang-dong-won-acting-cheesy-scenes-in-extraordinary-you-and-more

• 3 weeks later...

6 agelessly beautiful and handsome stars of Korean showbiz

Kang Dong Won, Sung Yuri, Lee Dong Wook, Jung Ryeo Won, Jo In Sung, and Han Ye Seul have one thing in common.

That is, they all look so youthful that it is impossible to predict their real ages. By 2020, all the 6 artists will turn 40, but they still maintain their young appearances like when they were in their 20s with toned skin and charismatic visual. Below is a list of artists who make the public unable to believe that they were born in 1981.

# Kang Dong Won (January 18, 1981)

Kang Dong Won is an actor that possesses both handsome visual and impeccable acting. Since his debut, he has always been a sensation with the nickname "pretty boy". Originally a fashion model, Kang Dong Won has a "surreal" body proportion. Besides, the actor steals hearts with the high nose bridge and the eyes that aren't uniform but still attractive like good and evil coexists within. As if he could perceive the appeal of unique and challenging characters, Kang Dong Won actively took on such eccentric roles that it can be hard to act out. Nevertheless, he always managed to captivate viewers and hence the phrase "Kang Dong Won's genre" is coined.

# Sung Yuri (March 3, 1981)

Right from the debut, Sung Yuri held the position of visual center loved by many people thanks to the outstanding visual among Fin.K.L members. She is one of the few artists to conquer the idol world thanks to her appearance and receives the absolute support from U20, U30 male fans. However, the prejudices about her idol singer position still exist until now. The pretty appearance became obstacles for her to get into the characters and no matter how hard she acted and how well she did, she could not surpass her appearance. It is unfortunate that she could not escape the shadow of "bad acting" in the beginning.

# Lee Dong Wook (November 6, 1981)

In 2005, Lee Dong Wook first took over a lead role on the small-screen through the drama "My Girl". Crossing beyond Korea's border, this work was popular throughout Asia and contributed to bringing his name to the ranks of trending actors. In 2006, the first movie starring him "Arang" also gained great success at the box office, helping Lee Dong Wook to firmly assert his position as a male lead. Shortly after his demobilization in 2011, he immediately returned to the small screen with the drama "Scent of a Woman". The film was well-received by viewers inside and outside Korea, making his comeback successfully. After that, Lee Dong Wook continued to receive countless praises for his acting ability when participating in the dramas "Bubble Gum" (2015) and "Goblin" (2016).

# Jung Ryeo Won (January 21, 1981)

Jung Ryeo Won debuted as a member of the girl group Chakra in 2000. Reportedly, while attending Griffith University (Australia), she became an exchange student at Korea University and was cast on the street by singer Lee Sang Min. She was immediately debuted without experiencing a trainee period. After shifting to acting, she was not given the lead role in the first place but gradually accumulated experience through supporting roles in short films or sitcoms. Ryeo Won's acting ability was recognized after she joined the sitcom "Hello Franceska" and the drama "My Lovely Sam Soon" in 2005. Thus, she created a style syndrome for women all around Korea.

# Jo In Sung (July 28, 1981)

Jo In Sung debuted as a model in 1998. He then embarked on the acting career when being cast in the drama "School 3" in 2000. In his early debut, Jo In Sung left a deep mark on the audience's heart when featuring in the sitcom "New Nonstop". Afterward, he continued to impress the public with his potent presence at the Chungmuro movie kingdom thanks to passionate acting in two dramas, "Something Happened in Bali" (2004) and "Spring Days" (2005), and the movie "A Dirty Carnival" (2006). The two movies "The King" (2017) and "Ansi Fortress" (2018), which premiered in the last 2 years, also reaped great box office achievements.

# Han Ye Seul (September 18, 1981)

Han Ye Seul is a representative beauty who possesses a "catwoman" face. She was born in the US but then went to kindergarten and elementary school in Korea as a child. Subsequently, she got back to the States and spent her adult life there. Despite living in the US, Han Ye Seul still reportedly tried not to forget her mother tongue by talking to her parents in Korean and regularly writing a Korean diary. After winning a supermodel selection contest in 2001, she worked as a model for a short period before returning to America in the summer of 2002. Nevertheless, having agonized over her career path for quite a while, she was convinced that she wanted to become an artist. As a result, Han Ye Seul came back to Korea in the summer of 2003. She was then cast in the drama "Nonstop 4" (2003) and quickly earned the public's great love.

OSEN = Reporter Kim Bo Ra / watch@osen.co.kr

Photo = OSEN DB

Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 

source https://channels.vlive.tv/C7A6F1/vtoday/0.12216682

For Kang Dong Won, 10+ Kilograms Can Completely Change His Vibe On Screen

From sharp to soft, Kang Dong Won can do it all.

Actor Kang Dong Won is truly versatile; and by that we mean his dedication to his work is so great that he is often willing to gain or lose weight depending on what suits. He has, in the past few years he took on different roles, ranged between 64 kilograms (141 pounds) to 75 kilograms (165 pounds) in weight. Fans noticed that his visual and vibe changes drastically when he is at his skinniest vs. when he is at his fluffiest. From sharp to soft, here are 5 stages of Kang Dong Won.

1. 64kgs in Kundo: Age of the Rampant

In Kundo: Age of the Rampant, Kang Dong Won was at his lightest weight of 64 kilograms. In his slimmest physique, Kang Dong Won is fierce and charismatic — with all his facial features sharply defined.

2. 68kgs in A Violent Prosecutor

In A Violent Prosecutor, Kang Dong Won was 68 kilograms. For his height, 186 centimeters (approximately 6′ 1″), this is still considered super slim compared to the average. But that extra 3 kilograms does soften Kang Dong Won’s features a bit.

3. 71kgs in The Priests

In The Priests, Kang Dong Won was 71 kilograms and definitely different from his Kundo version. Kang Dong Won once revealed in an interview that he is aware of how even a single pound makes a noticeable change in his visual — and so he tries to keep his weight under strict control.

4. 74kgs in My Brilliant Life

In My Brilliant Life, Kang Dong Won was 74 kilograms and, as viewers put it, “happy looking”. In this physique, Kang Dong Won has rounder features which give him that softer vibe.

5. 75kgs in Master

In Master, Kang Dong Won was at his highest of 75 kilograms. He looks more built and, as some say, even healthier. For many fans, in fact, this fluffed-up version of Kang Dong Won has become more preferred over his skinny version.

source https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/kang-dong-won-10-kilograms-weight-loss-gain-completely-changes-vibe-screen/

(Yonhap Feature) Celebrities open YouTube channels to ride new media trend

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Nov. 21 (Yonhap) -- Lee Eun-hee, an office worker living in Seoul, subscribes to the YouTube channel of South Korean golfer Ko Jin-young, the 2018 Rookie of the Year and the current World No. 1 in the LPGA tour.

"Ko Jin Young Ko Jin Young Ko," the player's YouTube channel, shows the professional golfer's daily life between tournaments in the United States and Canada. The first video, posted in September, is about her daytrip to Niagara Falls in August while visiting Ontario for the CP Women's Open, which she won.

EJ5alvFUYAUggOd?format=png&name=900x900

"It's not that entertaining or funny, compared to those of other famous YouTube creators," said Lee, who enjoys golf every weekend. "She's not skilled in making the videos, but it's worth watching."

She said it is interesting to see how the world-class athlete spends her downtime or whether she really eats street food and snacks instead of consuming a well-balanced diet.

In a recent media interview, Ko said she started the YouTube channel to ease the loneliness that she has suffered in the United States since her LPGA debut in 2018. The channel, whose videos are shot and edited by Ko, has more than 11,000 subscribers.

But Ko is not the only South Korean celebrity in the sports and entertainment worlds to have her own presence on YouTube.

Popular actor Gang Dong-won's YouTube channel, MonoTube, was the talk of the town when he released his first six videos one by one in May. His first video -- of a trip to Los Angeles with friends -- attracted more than 2 million views, as it was a rare chance to see the reclusive actor in the mass media.

Actress Shin Se-kyung also uses YouTube to reveal scenes of her daily life like cooking and hanging out with friends, and she has over 700,000 subscribers. Actresses Lee Ha-nee and Han Ye-seul and actor Ji Chang-wook are just few further examples of celebrities who run YouTube channels and share everyday stories with fans.

Experts said YouTube is a new platform that helps these stars enjoy their fame and gives them a chance to present another side of themselves.

"YouTube is a useful tool for fans to discover the unknown charms of their idols and stars through their daily lives," columnist Park Hee-ah said in a report published by the Korea Creative Content Agency (KOCCA). "It also helps narrow the psychological distance between celebrities and fans."

Through YouTube, celebrities can keep in touch with their fans even during fallow periods.

Gang, who is set to make his Hollywood debut with the upcoming "Tsunami LA," opened his YouTube channel in an apparent bid to remain popular in South Korea while he stays in the U.S. for about a year to work on the movie.

Above all, the expert noted that the media mainstream has experienced a seismic shift to YouTube and other online platforms from conventional TV.

A few years ago, star producers of major broadcasters like KBS and MBC transferred to cable TV channels for a massive amount of money. Nowadays, however, YouTube is a magnet for talented content creators, producers and even big-name TV stars.

Young people who are more used to smartphones hardly watch conventional programs as they don't like to sit in front of the TV, tuned in to a certain station at a specific time. They prefer to flick through YouTube, looking for easy-to-consume web content.

According to a survey by the Korea Press Foundation, about 40 percent of South Koreans watch the news on YouTube at least once a week, far higher than the average of 26 percent in 38 countries including Denmark, Britain and the Netherlands.

Broadcasters and production houses have jumped into the emerging profitable business, and a growing number of companies are looking for YouTube influencers for their business marketing. As a result, the YouTube world is getting bigger and bigger.

"Those who want to tell and show off their stories are gathering on YouTube," said Park, the columnist. "Now, the key to surviving the big competitive market is the quality of content, no matter how famous they are."

brk@yna.co.kr

source https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20191120007000315

NU'EST's Hwang Minhyun to Reveal His 48-Hours Routine in His Upcoming Vlog

NU'EST's Hwang Minhyun turned into a Youtuber!

On November 20th, Youtube channel 'Mono Tube' uploaded a Vlog video. The video, titled 'New It Days,' contains a summary of Minhyun's daily life in 48 hours. The video showed him enjoying his daily life with the interview. Dyeing his hair brightly, he showed his unadorned routine by visiting a garden or buying toast on the streets.

In an interview, he said, "I was worried a lot after watching the video of Kang Dongwon's episode. He looked like he had many friends and he looked natural. I thought, 'I'm doing this alone. What should I do? What if it's awkward?' But the staff explained it well and made me laugh so I could shoot it comfortably."

In the short preview, he made fans look forward to it by showing off his cool visuals. Meanwhile, his Vlog video will be released on November 22th through Youtube 'Monotube Channel.'

Five Korean Male Actors Who Successfully Played Iconic North Korean Roles

What's your favorite movie genre?

One of the popular Korean movie genres is probably those that include North Korean issues. Little known to the South Korean public, North Korea is a popular yet interesting topic many movie producers use to make their movies mysterious and interesting. North Korea and South Korea share similar yet different languages, cultures, and other features. Such differences make it very challenging for actors to perfectly fit themselves into characters from North Korea. However, we all know those who have done it successfully. 

Here are five top Korean actors who played North Korean roles and perfectly nailed it.

Kim Soohyun as Won Ryoohwan in 'Secretly, Greatly'

Hyun Bin as Im Cheolryung in 'Confidential Assignment' 

Gang Dongwon as Song Jiwon in 'Secret Reunion'

EJ5vD2qUwAUQQJk.jpg

Joo Jihoon as Head Jung in 'The Spy Gone North' 

Jung Woosung as Eom Chulwoo in 'Steel Rain'

Source: [Youtube] KBS 거리의 만찬

Thumbnail Credit: Han Cinema

source https://www.kstarlive.com/news/2019/11/21/five-korean-male-actors-who-successfully-played-iconic-north-korean-roles-in-films-301458/AdSeHnXVHLlgz

• 2 weeks later...

Distributor Of “Train To Busan” Sequel Film “Peninsula” Responds To Reports Of 2020 Release Date
by J. Lim

ELAEzVSVUAAgnwo.png

The distributor of “Peninsula,” the sequel to the hit film “Train to Busan,” has responded to reports that they have decided on an exact premiere date.

On December 3, reports were made in French media that, “Director Yeon Sang Ho’s ‘Peninsula’ is set to premiere in August 2020. Specifically, the date is August 12, 2020.”

When asked to respond to the reports, a source from distributor NEW stated, “Though it is true that we are currently aiming for a summer 2020 release, we have not made any decisions regarding specific details for premiere dates in or outside of Korea.”

“Peninsula” will be the sequel to the 2016 film “Train to Busan,” and will be set in the same universe as characters make a bid to leave Korea after it is dominated by zombies. Kang Dong Won, Lee Jung Hyun, Lee Re, Kwon Hae Hyo, Kim Min Jae, and Goo Kyo Hwan have been confirmed as cast members.

Are you excited for the sequel?

source

https://www.soompi.com/article/1369246wpp/distributor-of-train-to-busan-sequel-film-peninsula-responds-to-reports-of-2020-release-date

http://star.mk.co.kr/new/view.php?mc=ST&year=2019&no=1010491

https://extmovie.com/movietalk/51907391

https://hitek.fr/actualite/suite-film-dernier-train-pour-busan-dispo-france-aout-2020_21169

• 1 month later...

Kang Dong Won, Cha Seung Won, Lee Sung Kyung, Son Ho Jun Revealed To Have Renewed Contracts With YG
Jan 10, 2020

by C. Hong

It was belatedly revealed that several of YG Entertainment’s top actors had renewed their contracts with the agency.

On January 10, a source from YG stated, “Kang Dong Won, Cha Seung Won, and Son Ho Jun renewed their contracts last year.”

Later, YG also confirmed that model-turned-actress Lee Sung Kyung had also renewed her contract last year.

In the summer of 2019, it was rumored that several actors were considering leaving the agency due to various controversies.

Kang Dong Won is currently working on the film “Peninsula” and awaiting the release of his Hollywood film “Tsunami LA.” Cha Seung Won is currently filming the movie “Sinkhole,” and Son Ho Jun has been confirmed to star in the upcoming JTBC drama “Did We Love?”

Lee Sung Kyung is currently starring in the drama “Dr. Romantic 2.”

source https://www.soompi.com/article/1376198wpp/kang-dong-won-cha-seung-won-lee-sung-kyung-son-ho-jun-revealed-to-have-renewed-contracts-with-yg?fbclid=IwAR0mKjxKnqFPKyVmzaNuRecGkyX7rUoob7-FeVoIlSekWlCz1Z5IJf41Wns

• 1 month later...

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200228000590

‘Train to Busan’ sequel ‘Peninsula’ confirms summer release

Published : Feb 28, 2020 - 13:50 

“Peninsula” poster (NEW)
“Peninsula” poster (NEW)

“Peninsula,” the sequel to hit zombie flick “Train to Busan,” will be released this summer, distributor NEW said Friday. 

Though the company did not reveal the release date, the film may hit theaters in August. 

Taking off from where the story ended in “Train to Busan,” the upcoming movie is expected to have the same setting as the first film. 

According to Yeon Sang-ho, director of both films, “Peninsula” will take place four years after the zombie outbreak that devastated the Korean Peninsula, revolving around survivors.

Actor Gong Yoo was the star of the first flick, playing a father who kills himself after getting bitten by a zombie to protect his daughter. The sequel will be fronted by Gang Dong-won and Lee Jung-hyun. 

“Train to Busan” is considered the most successful zombie flick from South Korea. It attracted more than 11.5 million moviegoers here and opened in more than 150 nations worldwide.

“Peninsula” poster (NEW)
“Peninsula” poster (NEW)

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 1

Teaser Poster

83042054_599554534172186_451279245081680

“Train To Busan” Sequel “Peninsula” Unveils First Posters
FILM Feb 28, 2020 by R. Jun

The first posters have been revealed for “Peninsula,” the highly-anticipated sequel to “Train to Busan”!

The film is an action blockbuster following survivors in Korea four years after the events of “Train to Busan.” Joining director Yeon Sang Ho, who sat at the helm of “Train to Busan,” are cast members Kang Dong Won, Lee Jung Hyun, Kwon Hae Hyo, Kim Min Jae, Go Kyo Hwan, Kim Do Yoon, Lee Re, and Lee Ye Won.

The two new posters show the characters in precarious situations. The first shows someone walking through an abandoned port at night, with zombies around every corner.

In the second, the rising sun illuminates a mass of charging zombies, as Jung Suk (Kang Dong Won) and Min Jung (Lee Jung Hyun) await them from behind an abandoned vehicle.

“Peninsula” is scheduled to premiere this summer.

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1385521wpp/train-to-busan-sequel-peninsula-unveils-first-posters

88213225_623748658419440_377500052057856

88175424_623748845086088_505696831620828

Official IG : peninsula_movie

• 3 weeks later...

ETyExSLWAAAYru2?format=jpg&name=large

First Look: ‘Peninsula’, Yeon Sang-ho’s follow-up to ‘Train To Busan’ (exclusive)

BY JEAN NOH23 MARCH 2020

Korean director Yeon Sang-ho doesn’t think it’s quite right to call Peninsula “an official sequel” to his zombie thriller Train To Busan, which became an international hit in 2016.

“It takes place four years after Train To Busan, in the same universe, but it doesn’t continue the story and has different characters,” says the filmmaker. “Government authority has been decimated after the zombie outbreak in Korea, and there is nothing left except the geographical traits of the location – which is why the film is called Peninsula.”

The follow-up stars Gang Dong-won, who has featured in local hits such as 1987: When The Day Comes, as Jung-seok, a former soldier who manages to escape from the Korean peninsula – a zombie-infested wasteland turned into a ghetto by other nations trying to stop the spread of the virus.

ETyB94WU0AE9lb5?format=jpg&name=small

PENINSULA DIRECTOR YEON SANG-HO ON SET

SOURCE: NEW

Sent back with a crew on a mission to retrieve something, and going in through the port of Incheon to reach Seoul, he comes under attack and discovers there are more non-infected survivors left on the peninsula.

Actress Lee Jung-hyun (The Battleship Island) plays one of the survivors alongside child actress Lee Re, whom Yeon thinks will become “more [popular] than Ma Dong-seok [aka Don Lee] in Train To Busan”.

Other cast include Kwon Hai-hyo, who was a voice actor in Yeon’s award-winning 2013 animation The Fake; Kim Min-jae, who appeared in his 2018 live-action film Psychokinesis; indie filmmaker/actor Koo Kyo-hwan (Maggie); and child actress Lee Ye-won.

Several Train To Busan alumni are working on Yeon’s $16m follow-up (almost twice the budget of the $8.5m original), among them cinematographer Lee Hyung-deok, visual effects supervisor Jung Hwang-su and art director Lee Mok-won.

“The scale of Peninsula can’t compare to Train To Busan, it makes it look like an independent film,” says Yeon. “Train To Busan was a high-concept film shot in narrow spaces whereas Peninsula has a much wider scope of movement.”

Zombie world
With award-winning roots in independent animation on titles like 2012 Cannes Directors’ Fortnight entry The King Of Pigs, Yeon’s initial zombie film concept was for the arthouse animation Seoul Station, which takes place the day before Train To Busan’s story kicks off. Although it was conceived first, Seoul Station was released later and marketed as a prequel to Train To Busan – which CEO of investor/distributor New, Kim Woo-taek, convinced Seon to make as a live-action film.

Train To Busan premiered in the midnight section of the 2016 Cannes Film Festival and went on to clock up more than 11.5 million admissions at home, according to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), on its way to a $140m worldwide gross.

The film became such a phenomenon that other Korean film sales companies reported a “Train To Busan bump” that year around interest in Korean cinama from international partners.

ETx9a8rUUAEgQLp?format=jpg&name=large

GANG DONG-WON AS JUNG-SEOK IN ‘PENINSULA’

SOURCE: NEW

When it came to following up his global hit, Yeon was initially reluctant he admits. “But the idea of being able to build a post-apocalyptic world – which would be sort of savage but also in a way like ancient times, or like ruined modern times, with rules of its own – was interesting to me.

”There could be many stories that could keep coming out of that world. Destroyed, isolated, extreme, but with hope of escape and humanism, and the way world powers would look at this place. There could be a lot of material with a lot of greater significance.”

Peninsula shot for 62 days over three months starting in late June 2019. Yeon referenced post-apocalyptic films such as George Romero’s Land Of The Dead, The Road, Mad Max 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road, as well as post-apocalyptic manga such as Akira and Dragon Head, “for looks as well as world views”.

But he also found that things he imagined prior to the arrival of COVID-19 were showing up in real international news headlines, much to his surprise in post-production.

“Of course I never dreamt of anything like the new coronavirus,” he says. “But recently I have been learning news about the collective selfishness that you do see facets of in Train To Busan and in Peninsula, that brings about tragedy.”

Working on his third zombie film, the director notes he has yet to answer the question of how the mysterious zombie virus got started. “I’ve thought about dealing with that question in another film, which probably I won’t direct myself,” he says, chuckling with the awareness that he initially said the same about any follow-up to Train To Busan. “There are a lot of interesting questions you could answer, issue by issue, with other films.”

Backed by NEW, sold by Contents Panda and produced by Redpeter Films, just as Yeon’s Train To Busan and Psychokinesis were, Peninsula is set for a summer release in South Korea.

The film has pre-sold to a slew of territories including North America (Well Go USA), France (ARP SAS), Latin America (BF Distribution), Hong Kong (Edko), Taiwan (Movie Cloud) and the UK (Studiocanal).

source: https://www.screendaily.com/features/first-look-peninsula-yeon-sang-hos-follow-up-to-train-to-busan/5148374.article

25 Movies We Hoped to See at Cannes 2020, From Wes Anderson to Nolan

Cannes has been postponed until summertime, and it's still not clear when it will happen. But that won't stop us from anticipating a promising lineup.

By Eric KohnKate ErblandDavid EhrlichRyan LattanzioZack Sharf

Mar 23, 2020 10:30 am

ET32Zg0UUAEUdQt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Like most of the major media events that were scheduled for the coming weeks, the Cannes Film Festival has been put on hold. However, while festivals ranging from SXSW to Tribeca canceled or postponed their plans, the splashiest celebration of cinema on the calendar was holding out for its May dates as long as possible. Finally, late last week, Cannes announced that it would delay its festivities and expressed a desire to reschedule the event for late June.

Given the unpredictable circumstances, it’s impossible to know whether that timeline is realistic — but Cannes wouldn’t be Cannes if it didn’t project an aura of confidence about what it was doing, and for the time being, the world’s most glamorous festival still plans to hold a 2020 edition.

Needless to say, if Cannes does happen, its lineup has a lot of potential. Each year, IndieWire assembles a wish list of movies that we hope will make the cut. Just because Cannes won’t take place at the usual time doesn’t change the caliber of cinema that could have shown up there — and, hey, still might — so we’re proceeding with business as usual. Per tradition, we’ve done our homework to ensure that we only include titles that stand a realistic shot at showing up in the program, even under these unconventional circumstances.

That means promising new movies like Chloé Zhao’s reportedly unfinished “Nomadland” didn’t show up here; ditto Sofia Coppola’s “On the Rocks,” which apparently already committed to a Venice launch. But no matter how much the world has put its major events on hold, there are a wealth of other finished or just-finished projects out there that look strong enough to justify a Cannes launch, if and when that happens. Here are 25 of them.

“Peninsula” (Yeon Sang-Ho)

Grossing more than $90 million worldwide, Yeon Sang-ho’s frenetic “Train to Busan” stood above the recent horde of zombie movies because of memorable performances, a clever use of space, and an open-hearted message about the need to stick together in the face of a crisis (good advice!). Technically the third installment of Yeon’s series (he also directed the iffy animated prequel “Seoul Station”), “Peninsula” is a larger-budgeted sequel that’s set four years after the original, and picks up the story after the walking dead have reduced most of Korea to an uninhabitable wasteland. Since most of the main characters from “Train to Busan” have already been eaten alive on screen, Yeon has turned to a new cast fronted by “Golden Slumbers” star Kang Dong-won and singer-actress Lee Jung-hyun.

It’s too soon to know if Yeon will be able to recapture the same lightning in a bottle on a much bigger canvas, but it’s safe to assume that Cannes will be the first place to find out; “Train to Busan” premiered in a midnight slot there, and “Peninsula” will almost certainly follow suit if it can. —DE

source: https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/cannes-film-festival-predictions-2020-wes-anderson-edgar-wright-1202219641/

mydaily | 2020. 03. 24. 2:39 AM

"Peninsula" unveils fierce still-cuts outclassing "Train To Busan"

E7466317-8785-4C16-ABA4-951D787C063F.jpg

Movie ''Peninsula'' dropped two still-cut photos for the first time.

''Peninsula'' - a new work of director Yeon Sang Ho - is a blockbuster action film revolving around the last life-or-death battle of survivors on the devastated land 4 years since ''Train to Busan''.

The still-cut image that was first revealed has attracted attention with the strong image of Jeong Suk (played by Kang Dong Won) and surviving zombies 4 years after the unprecedented disaster in history.

First, the image of Jeong Suk holding a rifle equipped with 2 rounds of bullets and determined look exuded an intense vibe as the whole situation is hung by a thread.

Along with that, the appearance of the zombies frantically rushing forward also heralded the scale and fierce action scenes far beyond ''Train to Busan''.

As this is a worldview designed by director Yeon Sang Ho - an all-round storyteller, the audience is curious about the context of the final battle on the devastated land as well as the story unfolding in the film.

"Peninsula" will hit theaters in Korea and some foreign countries simultaneously this summer.

My Daily = Reporter Kim Na Ra
Photo = NEW
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home 

——

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/03/25/2020032501779.html

Buzz Building over Kang Dong-won's New Film

• March 25, 2020
  •  

Hype for actor Kang Dong-won's upcoming film is building after the release of teaser images on Tuesday. 

Zombie flick "Peninsula," a sequel to director Yeon Sang-ho's megahit "Train to Busan," deals with people's fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic world four years after the outbreak of a zombie virus.

"Train to Busan" drew over 10 million moviegoers after its release in 2016. The film received rave reviews for its clever blend of zombie horror with a message of unity in times of crisis in a story largely told in the confined setting of a bullet train.

U.S. magazine IndieWire has selected "Peninsula" as one of 25 films it hopes will make the cut for this year's Cannes Film Festival, which has been delayed to late June due to the coronavirus pandemic. The magazine said, "It's too soon to know if Yeon will be able to recapture the same lightning in a bottle on a much bigger canvas, but it's safe to assume that Cannes will be the first place to find out."

Teaser Trailer 'Peninsula 반도'

Watch: Kang Dong Won And Lee Jung Hyun Struggle In Ruined Land Of Savage Humans And Hungry Zombies In “Peninsula” Trailer

by L. Kim

“Peninsula” has released its first trailer!

“Peninsula” is an action blockbuster by director Yeon Sang Ho. It takes place in Korea four years after the story in “Train to Busan” as the fight continues between those who survived in the land that is now in ruins.

The action-packed trailer gives a glimpse of the thrilling action and speedy plot development. It starts off with Kang Dong Won and a few other survivors as they carefully tread through a ruined city. He finds something suspicious and aims his gun at it. The glass clears up, and he steps back in horror when he realizes the case is full of zombies.

Something that may be worse than the starving zombies are the bloodthirsty humans. A group of men without shirts enter a fight cage as excited humans cheer for a battle. One man pushes a button, and zombies enter the arena. The helpless men run as they are no match for the zombies that became stronger and faster.

“Peninsula” is scheduled to be simultaneously released in Korea and other countries this summer.

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1391909wpp/watch-kang-dong-won-and-lee-jung-hyun-struggle-in-ruined-land-of-savage-humans-and-hungry-zombies-in-peninsula-trailer

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200405000214

Korean films expected to hit theaters in summer

By Choi Ji-won | April 7, 2020

196929B9-132A-4ED5-91BB-506AE77D08A9.jpg

Film “Peninsula” (NEW)

Though the ongoing coronavirus crisis has stopped the clock for most industries, some big players in the film scene are sticking to their original plans and preparing to release new works this summer. 

In recent months, the local film industry has been struggling hard with the ongoing pandemic. Film productions have been postponed or halted. Numbers of cinemagoers have drastically dropped, hitting the lowest point in history, as people refrain from visiting public spaces.

Meanwhile, amid such a crisis, film producer and distributor Next Entertainment World released a teaser video last week for its upcoming zombie thriller “Peninsula,” confirming plans for a summer release. The sequel to director Yeon Sang-ho’s 2016 hit zombie film “Train to Busan,” “Peninsula” will be helmed by Yeon and stars top-tier actors Gang Dong-won and Lee Jung-hyun.

After the massive success of “Train to Busan,” followed by worldwide hit “Kingdom” series on Netflix, local zombie movies recently have been in the limelight, and “Peninsula” is now one of the most anticipated Korean films this year.

17A736D9-B591-4E70-A71F-75B3276A12A6.jpg
Film “Peninsula” (NEW)

The sequel is expected to take place in the same universe as the original movie, picking up the story four years after the zombie apocalypse. The survivors are still fighting the zombies, who are now even faster and more powerful than before.

According to NEW, the blockbuster will be released in Korea and several other countries in the summer.

Musical film “Hero,” which depicts the events leading up to the death of Korean independence fighter Ahn Jung-geun, is also slated to open in the summer as scheduled.

The film, a remake of the popular musical theater piece of the same title, will be helmed by director Yoon Je-kyoon of “Ode to My Father” (2014) and “Tidal Wave” (2009).

“Hero” dramatizes the final year of Ahn’s life, during which he shoots Korea’s first resident governor as it is under Japanese colonial rule. The assassination occurred in Harbin Station in northern China on Oct. 26, 1909, and Ahn was executed in a Japanese prison in China on March 26 the following year. 

According to the film’s distributor CJ Entertainment, it is being released this year in commemoration of the 110th anniversary of the activist’s death.

Actor Jung Sung-hwa from the original musical, who has played the historical icon since the show opened in 2009, takes up the role in the film as well. A veteran actor both on the stage screen, Jung was honored by the Korea Musical Awards in 2010 as best lead actor for his work in the musical.

Although the release schedule has not been confirmed yet, a few other blockbuster films with similar production budgets, around 20 billion won ($16.2 million), are looking toward summer debuts.

Sci-fi space movie “Victory,” featuring Song Joong-ki and Kim Tae-ri, is also expected to open in July or August. The producers are reportedly monitoring the virus situation before confirming a release date. 

Action-crime film “Mogadishu” from star director Ryoo Seung-wan, featuring top actors Kim Yoon-seok and Jo In-sung, is also nearing the post-production stage. Shooting in Morocco fortunately wrapped up before the coronavirus outbreak started.

Major film company Showbox is also mulling when to release comedy-disaster flick “Sinkhole,” starring Cha Seung-won, Lee Kwang-soo and Kim Sung-kyun.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

Bong Tae Gyu's manager looks like BTS' Jin, Ha Suk Jin, and Kang Dong Won?

EVXQG2jXQAAjETq?format=jpg&name=small

Actor Bong Tae Gyu's manager got attention for his looks!

Bong Tae Gyu was featured on this week's 'Point of Omniscient Interfere', and the panel was immediately taken by the manager's good looks. Among the celebrities named that he looked like were BTS' Jin, actor Ha Suk Jin, and actor Kang Dong Won.

In an interview, Bong Tae Gyu said, "My manager really cares about his looks." The show featured the manager getting up at 5 to curl his hair and put on perfume.

1586650846-1.jpg

source: 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/04/bong-tae-gyus-manager-looks-like-bts-jin-ha-suk-jin-and-kang-dong-won

Cannes 2020: what was in the running (and still might be)

BY MELANIE GOODFELLOW, WENDY MITCHELL, JEREMY KAY, GABRIELE NIOLA, JEAN NOH16 APRIL 2020

EVuIV98XQAAjh5u?format=jpg&name=medium

The Cannes Film Festival was due to unveil the Official Selection for its 73rd edition in Paris today (April 16) until the Covid-19 pandemic forced it to cancel its scheduled May 12-23 dates and subsequently abandon plans for a new slot beginning end-June.

As of today, no new dates had been announced although the festival has said it is exploring other options to keep its work alive. Delegate general Thierry Frémaux has said that he and his selection team will continue to watch and assess submissions until early June.

But what then? Will the festival set a new date in the autumn or hook up with other events? If that’s not an option, will Frémaux announce his Official Selection regardless of whether it can be shown on the big screen? Or will he let go of the films that he and his selection committee have spent the year scouting, watching and reeling in? The latter course of action would be a deeply painful outcome for Frémaux.

Yesterday, parallel sidebars Cannes Critics’ Week, Directors’ Fortnight and ACID confirmed that they were cancelling their 2020 editions.

In this unprecedented chapter in the festival’s history, Screen has decided to go ahead with its annual ’Cannes: Who’s In The Running’ list. It is an opportunity to take stock of the productions that were hoping to get a shot at premiering in Official Selection or the sidebars and still need support to connect them to audiences around the world.

Given the ongoing global production hiatus, these are a selection of the prestige films that will now most likely be available to festivals for the rest of 2020 and, perhaps, even later on into 2021. 

ASIA

Riding high on the success of Bong Joon Ho’s Oscar-winning, Palme d’Or winner Parasite, Korean cinema could have expected to be in the spotlight at Cannes this year.

Buzzy titles being lined up out of the territory for a Cannes splash included Yeon Sang-ho’s Peninsula. The film is set in the same universe as his zombie thriller hit Train To Busan, which premiered as a Midnight Screening in 2016, but is not an official sequel according to the director. Yeon was also previously in Cannes with animation The King Of Pigs, which premiered in Directors’ Fortnight in 2012.

It was among a number of Korean titles with Midnight Screening potential including Byun Sung-hyun political drama Kingmaker, reuniting him with Seol Gyeong-gu (aka Sul Kyung-gu), the star of his crime thriller The Merciless, which premiered as a Midnight Screening in 2017. The cast also features Parasite star Lee Sun-kyun.

Hong Won-chan’s crime action drama Deliver Us From Evil, starring Hwang Jung-min (Veteran) and Lee Jung-jae (Assassination), was also in post. His film Office debuted in the midnight slot in 2015.

Im Sang-soo’s new film Haengbok-eui Nararo (aka Knocking On Heaven’s Door but no official English title has been set yet) was also in post. Choi Min-sik (Old Boy) and Park Hae-il (The Host) co-star as two men who set off on a journey in search of happiness. The director previously competed in Cannes with The Housemaid and The Taste Of Money in 2010 and 2012 respectively.

Other Korean titles nearing completion included Lee Joon-ik’s historical drama A Book Of Fish, also starring Seol and Byun Yo-han (Socialphobia), although it was not clear if it would have been to Cannes’ tastes.

Ryoo Seung-wan’s highly-anticipated action drama Mogadishu, about North and South Korean embassy diplomats forced to cooperate when civil war breaks out in Somalia, was not expected to be ready in time for a Cannes splash.

There had been hopes that Hong Kong filmmaker Ann Hui’s Love After Love would be submitted but it got stuck in post-production after the Covid-19 pandemic struck. It is an adaptation of Eileen Chang’s 1943 novella Aloeswood Incense about a young woman from Shanghai who heads to Hong Kong to continue her studies, but ends up working for her aunt, seducing rich and powerful men. Hui was last in Cannes with Boat People in 1983.

Septet: The Story Of Hong Kong – a omnibus of seven films by renowned Hong Kong directors Johnnie To, Hark Tsui, Hui, Patrick Tam, Sammo Hung, Wo Ping Yuen and the late Ringo Lam – had also been submitted.

Chinese titles with parallel section potential also originally included Wu Hai, the second feature from Inner Mongolia director Zhou after award-winning debut Old Beast. Set in the autonomous region of Inner Mongolia in Northern China, the crime drama revolves around a heavily indebted young entrepreneur, married to a woman from a wealthy background, who turns to desperate measures. The production would not now have been ready in time. 

There was also strong buzz around Chinese-Austrian director and Michael Haneke protégé CB Yi’s debut feature Moneyboys, starring Taiwanese star Kai Ko as a young Chinese rent boy who sells his body to support his family.

From Japan, Cannes habitué Naomi Kawase’s adoption drama Three Mothers was also expected to be ready in time. Seven of her films have premiered in Cannes to date. She was there most recently with Radiance, which debuted in Competition in 2017.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s World War Two epic Wife Of A Spy was also nearing completion as the pandemic hit. Kurosawa, also a Cannes regular, was last in Official Selection with Before We Vanish, which played in Un Certain Regard in 2017.

From elsewhere in Asia, Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul, who won the Palme d’Or in 2010 for Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, was also believed to be close to completing post-production on his Colombia-shot, Mexico-backed English-language debut Memoria, starring Tilda Swinton.

There was also strong buzz around Vietnamese director Le Bao’s debut feature Taste, about an out-of-work Nigerian footballer who enters into an intense ménage-à-cinq with female middle-aged acquaintances for three days of communal living. Le Bao’s work has been described as being in the vein of Bi Gan and Weerasethakul.

Indian submissions included Prithvi Konanur’s urban thriller Where Is Pinki about a middle-class couple on a desperate search across the city of Bangalore for their eight-month baby after she is seemingly abducted by their housekeeper. It is Konanur’s third film after Waves, which premiered in Toronto in 2012, and Railway Children.

source: https://www.screendaily.com/features/cannes-2020-what-was-in-the-running-and-still-might-be/5149038.article

Screen Daily: 'Peninsula,' 5 Other Korean Films Have Shot at Cannes 2020 Screenings
Write: 2020-04-17 18:04:09/Update: 2020-04-17 18:38:28

A British media outlet that covers the film industry says half a dozen South Korean films have a strong chance of being invited to Cannes 2020. 

Screen Daily on Thursday picked regional candidates to be screened at the Cannes Film Festival among newly made films worldwide. 

Yeon Sang-ho’s “Peninsula,” a sequel to the zombie flick “Train to Busan,” was among six South Korean films the outlet anticipated would get a bigger than usual spotlight following the success of Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite," which won the Palme d'Or at last year's festival in Cannes.

The others that drew attention were Byun Sung-hyun’s “Kingmaker,” Hong Won-chan’s “Deliver Us From Evil,” Im Sang-soo’s “Haengbokeui Nararo,” as well as Lee Joon-ik’s “A Book of Fish” and Ryoo Seung-wan’s “Mogadishu.”

It is unclear, however, whether the French film festival will be held this year amid the COVID-19 outbreak. 

The pandemic pushed back the opening of the event from next month to late June or early July, but another postponement is likely inevitable.

source: http://world.kbs.co.kr/service/news_view.htm?lang=e&Seq_Code=152855