Anime North '07

la folie

Guest lainey

well if you guys need some last minute shopping...i'm going to be selling lolita skirts, headpieces and accessories, hand made leg warmers, character fleece hats and cosplay costumes and accessories in the artist alley... :)

i'll also be bringing my rice jewelry stuff there too

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lainey

guys for those who plan on attending anime north...

come to one of the many events i'm running (i'm staff).

soompiers will get to meet each other too ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://animenorth.com/lightning.php

By popular demand, the Lightning Round will be back, larger and even better than before!

2006 was our first year holding this contest. Contestants created costumes with given materials in ONE SINGLE HOUR! The "models" then presented their designs at the Cosplay Fashion and were judged for awards for creativity and use of materials.

Last years lovely contestants:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9762.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9760.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9757.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9754.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9753.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9752.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9750.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9748.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_9746.jpg

Due to the success of 2006, this 2007 we have moved to the Doubletree Hotel, along with the Cosplay Fashion show. Our new location is LARGER in order to accommodate even MORE entries! We look forward to seeing you there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

THE LIGHTNING ROUND WILL TAKE PLACE ON SUNDAY at 12:30 to 1:30PM at the Double Tree Hotel in the Montreal room, aka Workshop 1 room. Contestants will be led to the Cosplay Fashion

show which starts at 2PM.

The Lightning Round is an intense showdown between contestants who have a mere hour to fabricate a costume out of the provided materials. Each group will have a model who will showcase the costume in the Cosplay Fashion Show, and will be judged against other Lightning Round entrants.

The sky is the limit when it comes to creativity! Unlike most costume competitions, the Lightning Round turns a blind eye when it comes to workmanship.

This is great for people who do not have a costume for Sunday or people looking for some great fun!

How It Works

1. An entry consists of 1-6 people. However there will only be one model per entry as the others help with construction.

2. Each group will have their designated area to work in and are responsible for the mess in their area.

3. Materials are available on a first come and first serve basis.

4. Construction materials such as tape, glue, scissors, etc. will be provided.

5. In the case of a dispute over materials, a moderator will intervene.

6. A maximum of two members of each group are allowed to be at the material bin at a time. Other members must stay in their designated areas.

7. After the hour has ended, all contestants are to stop immediately.

The models will be led to the nearby location of the fashion show at

the Doubletree hotel.

8. The Lightning Round entries will be showcased first in the Cosplay Fashion Show and judged within their division.

9. Contestants must return the materials and supplies and clean up their area.

Rules

1. The models are expected to wear normal clothing for the base of their costume and to remove any props or accessories. The other members of the group can be in costume.

2. Contestants are to utilize the materials given and not bring their own.

3. The costume should adhere to the masquerade rules.

4. The moderators have the right to disqualify any contestants that are not behaving properly.

We are taking 20 pre-registered groups prior to Anime North. The

deadline to send in your information is May 15th 2007. We will also be taking sign ups at the convention. The number of entries depends on the size of the groups with the space we have available for the contest.

Leader Name:

Leader E-mail:

Number of people in group:

Full Names of group members:

Please e-mail an.lightninground@gmail.com with this information.

Guest pyunghwa

pyunghwa, there's direction at the official site or else check the forum there. I forgot but I remembered something along the line of taking the spadina side. lol

I checked the site, and all I could find were the address and location. I'm unsure of which subway lines and buses I would have to actually take to get there. Would I be able to take the subway to the airport and from the airport catch a bus to the hotel?

Guest epic_darkness

Me and my friends are going, this is my second year and their first, so I get to be a sorta tour guide, but anyone they way I'm going is using the Lawerence station and there is a bus that takes you straight there, that is what me and my other friend did last year, I can't remember what number bus but it's at Lawerence station

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Okay... I have to go for my school's anime club (I'm the leader and organizer...) I lied to my Leadership teacher that I've been planning out stuff for the anime club with Anime North, and she wants some proof that we're going.

I'm already paying for someone to go because they're broke anyway.

Maybe there should be an official soompi meet or something.

Might cosplay as Ryuk from Death Note, but that's gonna take a LOT of work, and I'm running short on time to make the costume. Maybe I'll go as Yugi from yugioh... as lame as that is, I wouldn't mind spiking and dying my hair like his.

well if you guys need some last minute shopping...i'm going to be selling lolita skirts, headpieces and accessories, hand made leg warmers, character fleece hats and cosplay costumes and accessories in the artist alley... :)

i'll also be bringing my rice jewelry stuff there too

Oh screw it, I'll take the lolita skirts! *COUGH*

No going as a drag queen, no going as a drag queen, no going as a drag queen...

Guest Swtess

^ I would so be there if there is one. :lol

pyunghwa: Just take the subway to the Lawrence West station and then from there take bus Malton #58 and it will take you there. Or like I did lastyear and follow all the anime people.

well if you guys need some last minute shopping...i'm going to be selling lolita skirts, headpieces and accessories, hand made leg warmers, character fleece hats and cosplay costumes and accessories in the artist alley

Do you have any samples of the skirts you make? :mellow:

Guest lainey

pyunghwa: Just take the subway to the Lawrence West station and then from there take bus Malton #58 and it will take you there. Or like I did lastyear and follow all the anime people.

i LOVE anime north..because I live in malton :)

Alrighty..now you can do that...

OR OR..

If you can get to york mills station or yorkdale...you can take the GO BUS #34 York Mills-> Yorkdale-> Malton (Pearson Airport)-> Bramalea-> Brampton

this bus will top pretty much directly in FRONT of the convention centre.

You can ask the bus driver to stop and remind you when it's the convention stop.

here is the time schedule for it:

http://gotransit.com/publicroot/schedule/p...page=1&new=

NOTE: THE SUBWAY DOES NOT GO TO THE AIRPORT. Either GO it, or take the hideously long #58 ride.

If you're coming from Mississauga, you'll need to take the #7 from square one towards malton...and then get off at dixon road and carlingview drive.

then you got to walk to the convention O_O which will take quite awhile i say (maybe 30 minutes?). OR...transfer onto the #58 bus if you see it running by.

brampton people, take brampton transit to malton (#14 i think), then transfer to #58.

Do you have any samples of the skirts you make?

no O_O i've mailed off a bunch of skirts to Anime Central (it's coming up next weekend). And my digi cam was busted and I never took any pics lol

But do look for my table at the artist alley..purple table cloth..selling cosplay stuff! shouldn't be hard to miss!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azero

blahhrg.

i dont think i can go this year.... i dont have enough money D:

i have enough to buy a pass, but thats pretty much it

i hope i can make it to cn-anime at least

Guest strawberrynkiwi

I am not going anymore. I got work ALL weekend. This is so sad. Sigh. I guess I will have to wait another year.

Guest BBShine

Hmm... This year I WANT to go... but I have NO money LOL.

Do you guys think I could just go, and not pay, and not enter the dealers room but wander?

To dress up and see all them pretty cosplayers + dress up myself?

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Supposedly supposed to be there today.... dunno if I can withdraw enough $ at the bank in time though before registration finishes.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

I was working late on Friday night and came home on Saturday morning at 4 am from Wonderland. I only ended up getting like 2.5 hours of sleep -_- Lack of motivation and preparation and time = no cosplaying for me this year.

Stupid Malton buses were packed and didn't stop for us, so we walked 3/4 the way down Dixon Road until my other friends (who got there before we did by car) came back and drove us there.

Line-up for registration was like... 2 hours -_-

I was pretty annoyed how like 95% of the dealers didn't take debit. I saw these really nice gloves, the one that Cloud wore in Advent Children. Couldn't get them because...

A. They took cash only

B. Gloves were somewhat too big for me

I wanted to pick up an Advent Children wallet as well, couldn't find one anywhere though :( I ended up buying three 1/144 Gundam model kits: Dreadnought, Stargazer and the Civilian DDDS Astray from Hairy Tarantula. $75 spent, not bad... wish I had more to spend though.

A lot of the cosplayers I saw had terrific costumes, and a majority had well-made weapons. I got sick of seeing Bleach cosplayers all day though (I am NOT a Bleach fan.) I saw a ton of pretty, cute and hot Asian girls throughout the whole day but couldn't work up the courage to talk to them or ask them if I could take their picture -__________- There's always next year...

Arrived there around 9am-ish, didn't leave until midnight because my ride was too busy podcasting -__- Next year, my friend(s) and I are probably setting up a bubble tea shop. That's probably the closest way I'll get to interact with the girls ;O

I did manage to take a number of pictures though, both with someone's phone and a disposable camera I bought. Problem is, I got bored to the point where I started taking some pictures of my shoe... I'll post them up in this thread once they're upload/developed/scanned. Show off your pics as well! I'm sure they're better than mine :P

Just for the record, I was some guy with spiked hair, white sports headband on, white dress shirt and jeans with a red backpack. I was also doing Borat and Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged series impressions all day. Yeah that's right, all my other clothes were in the laundry! >:/

Guest Swtess

sounds fun. I should've dropped by yest then..too bad I got lazy and didn't want to line up forever for tickets.

Did you see my friend there? Apparently she was supposed to be a yankee with another friend. lol doubt it.

Archived