Dir. Kim Ki Duk 김기덕

Guest KamsaHamnida

Guest liquidcandy

the first movie i watched of his was time, and i ended up liking it enough to search out some of his other films.. so i stumbled upon 3-iron and i really felt blown away. still need to watch some moreeeeeeee. but definitely 3-iron is my absolute favorite movie for now.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

04-26-2007

'Breath' Offers English Subtitle

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

The nation's famous filmmaker Kim Ki-duk's 13th film, "Breath," is screened with English subtitles at Sponge House theater in Chongno, downtown Seoul. It was released yesterday nationwide at 15 theaters.

It deals with the relationship between a man on death row and a betraying housewife who help each other get over their inner pains.

The film has been invited to this year's competition section of Cannes Film Festival along with another local production, Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine."

The 46-year-old director won the Best Director awards at the Berlin International Film Festival with "Samaritan Girl," and at the Venice Film Festival with "3-Iron" in 2004.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/a...ategoryCode=141

• 2 weeks later...
Guest juliannanow

My first post here @ Soompi….Thanks for starting the KKD Thread.

I admire him. He thinks outside the box. I‘d much prefer watching a film where people either really hate it or really love it ..... KKD creates strong reactions…It’s too bad that his home country did not appreciate him that much.

His background is also fascinating….did not go to college,/ worked in a factory/ lived in Paris as a street painter/ and so on.. That, added colors to his films. I know Asians ( myself included) tend to put a lot of emphasis on higher education. But that can be detrimental at times in creative thought processing.

I believe that when it’s all said and done in the future, he will be remembered as a great artist.

Guest Epikt

He ! welcome here juliannanow ! :)

It’s too bad that his home country did not appreciate him that much.

No man is a prophet in his own country !

But in a way, i don't really agree with him about his declaration about The Host. I'm sometime hard on Korean cinema, especialy directors like Park Chan-Wook and Bong Joon-Ho (good, but over-estimated and characteristic of a false originality of the Korean cinema), but in my opinion this kind of declaration does him a disservice.

It's a shame, because Time is one of his best movies.

Guest juliannanow

Thank you for the welcome Epikt ..Yes, I like “Time” as well. This one pointed out the massive plastic surgery craze in the society right now. I think he likes to poke at the problems facing us and that can have negative reaction towards him. He does have a blunt speaking manner which, like you said , does him no good.

The film that disturbed me the most, I think was in ” Address Unknown” ..…. In it, he showed the treatment of dogs in some area of Korea. I couldn’t sleep that night after watching it :w00t:

. Have you seen it? And do you know if it’s been banned? ( I mean the method they use to kill dogs)?

Anyway, nice to be able to discuss his films here with you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

May 21, 2007

Kim Ki-duk Wows Cannes Film Festival With 'Breath'

20070521001200sw1.jpg

The Korean director Kim Ki-duk screened his movie "Breath" on Saturday in competition at the 60th Cannes Film Festival. The official screening and press conference were held at the Lumiere Theatre in the French resort town.

Kim, wearing dark sunglasses at a press conference, joked, "The sunglasses I'm wearing now are the ones I wore when I appeared as a prison official in the film. You may be still watching the movie right at this moment." Breath, which opened in Korea on April 26, depicts a woman who starts a relationship with a condemned criminal after discovering her husband's infidelity. Korean actor Zia and Taiwanese actor Chang Chen play the leads. "I wanted to highlight the difficulty of social and human relations -- so much so that you find it hard to breathe," Kim said. "At the same time, I wanted to show the difficulty of getting the message of my films across in the Korean society." Many of Kim's previous films have been criticized and shunned by general audiences and even by some film critics here due to their strong and graphic visual description.

20070521001201se9.jpg

Korea's director Kim Ki-duk (L) poses with cast members, from 2nd L-R, Chang Chen, Zia

and Kang In-hyung at the arrivals for the evening screening of their film "Breath"

at the 60th Cannes Film Festival on Saturday./REUTERS

An Italian reporter asked Kim if there is a unique style to Korean films that is responsible for their success at the world's film festivals. "I think international movie people are thrilled by the truth that Korean movie show, rather than their style. Many talented Korean directors will give you fresh insights with their films,” Kim said. Asked if he plans to make movies abroad, Kim answered, "I believe the major issues of human existence are universal and borderless. Though I've got a number of screenplays from European and U.S. filmmakers, I haven't decided yet." Kim said he is interested in joint projects with U.S. actors and European investment like Wong Kar Wai or Hou Hsiao Hsien did. Asked why the director has continued making low-budget films he said "Big-budget movies to me are like clothes that don' fit."

On his way to the official screening venue, Kim walked the red carpet with his two stars and Kang In-hyung. After the screening, the audience at the Lumiere Theatre gave him an unprecedented 10-minute standing ovation.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0705210012.html

Guest minjung313

I think kkd is one of those artists/directors who have a vision and message he would like to share with the audience and does so beautifully and artfully with his films. I really love his films and I definitely hope to see more. :)

Monday, 21 May 2007

Kim Ki-duk's "Breath" is hot

Written by Patrick Frater

CANNES -- Kim Ki-duk's competition film "Breath" scored a bunch more sales through Korean sales agent Cineclick Asia. Company sealed deals with SPI for Poland, Festive Films for Singapore and Lietuvos Kinas for the Baltic region. Pic was a hot seller on the eve of the market with pre-sales inked in France, Benelux, Spain, Italy, Mexico, the former CIS, Argentine, Brazil, Turkey and Greece.

Cineclick also scored a high six-figure pre-sale deal with France's ARP Selection for "The Good, the Bad and the Weird," the Korean spaghetti Western now being made by in-demand helmer Kim Jee-woon. The $11 million "Weird" started lensing last month and seller is trailing pic with an 13- minute showreel. ARP also has French right to "Breath."

Afghan-set drugs and politics drama "Opium War," by Siddiq Barmak was sold to Aztec Intl. for Australia and New Zealand, Shanni Films for Israel, ArtFree for Greece, Maywin for the former CIS states and Film House for Mexico.

Source: VarietyAsiaOnline.com

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/1384/

May 21, 2007

"Breath" Draws Spotlight in Cannes

070521ent1ld0.jpg

Director Kim Ki-deok's movie "Breath" has drawn significant attention in Cannes.

The movie, which was invited to compete at the 60th Cannes Film Festival, received a favorable response after it was screened May 19 and has grossed impressive profits.

The world-renowned movie magazine Variety quoted the firm in charge of the movie's overseas marketing as saying that the movie has been sold to film festivals in Poland, Singapore and Lithuania.

"Breath" made headlines when it was sold prior to its opening to France, Spain, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Turkey and Greece.

One foreign news agency expressed hopes that Korean filmmakers can produce more "charming films like 'Breath.'"

Attention is now focused on whether "Breath" will bring an award to director Kim Ki-deok, who has previously won awards at the Berlin and Venice film festivals.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...6902_11858.html

2007-05-21 06:29:39 Reuters

Cannes Sees Korean Debut for Taiwan's Chang Chen

10132breath01zt6.jpg

South Korea director Kim Ki-duk (R ) poses with cast members:

(L-R) Kang In-hyung, actress Zia, who hides a laugh, and Chang Chen

at arrivals for the evening screening of their film "Soom" at the 60th Cannes

Film Festival on Saturday, May 19, 2007. [Photo: REUTERS]

South Korean director Kim Ki-duk was so taken by Taiwanese actor Chang Chen, star of the Academy Award winning "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", that he created a role that broke down language barriers.

Chang, who speaks no Korean, stars in Kim's latest film "Breath", a poetic story of jealousy and redemption in competition at the Cannes film festival, as Jang Jin, a condemned prisoner whose repeated suicide attempts have left him unable to speak.

"I would like to have been able to speak Korean but I can't," Chang told reporters through an interpreter. "It's a role that gave me quite a few challenges at a psychological level. I had to use my body to express emotions."

His growing love for Yeon, a married woman played by South Korean actor Zia, is conveyed solely through looks and gestures that become steadily more intense as their strange affair develops through her repeated visits to his prison.

"I wanted to cast the image of Chang Chen because I'd seen a lot of pictures and films that he'd made and the only way to cast the image and to get something different, was to do without language," Kim Ki-duk, a regular at international festivals, told reporters after the film's press screening.

Chang Chen's status as one of Asian cinemas leading male stars has developed steadily since he appeared in Chinese director Wong Kar Wai's "Happy Together" in 1997.

Since then he has starred in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", the film that won director Ang Lee an Oscar for best foreign language film and Wong Kar Wai's "2046". But "Breath" was his first outing into the vibrant Korean cinema scene.

"Chang Chen is really a very great actor," said Kim Ki-duk. "I don't really like to put actors in an order of first, second and third but I was really very moved by his performance during and after the shooting."

"Breath" is a spare film shot on a tiny budget mainly in either Jin's prison or the house Yeon shares with her alienated husband and their young daughter.

But Kim Ki-duk, who himself plays a shadowy prison official who controls the meetings of the two lovers, said he was aiming at a wider psychological and social resonance for the film.

"I think there are always hidden people who control our society, who are invisible, whom we don't know," he said.

"What I wanted to show was the impossibility of communication between human beings and the difficulty of human relations and at the same time, the difficult relationship I have with Korean society."

10132breath02ph1.jpg

South Korean director Kim Ki-duk (C ) poses with cast members

Chang Chen (L) and Zia during a photocall for their film "Soom" at the 60th Cannes

Film Festival on Saturday, May 19, 2007. [Photo: REUTERS]

Source: CRIENGLISH.com

http://english.cri.cn/3086/2007/05/21/1221@229307.htm

March 29. 2007

Kim Ki-duk's New Work Sold to France

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2279/070329ent2dp8.jpg

Director Kim Ki-duk’s 14th film “Breath” has been sold to French distributor ARP before its domestic release.

Film marketer CineClick Asia said Tuesday that it sold “Breath” at the Hong Kong Film Market held from March 20 until 23. The French distributor is devoted to introducing Asian movies to the country. Kim’s latest work had also been sold to other 10 nations including Spain, Italia, Mexico, Greece and Belgium.

The marketer also sold “Seducing Mr. Robin” starring Daniel Henney and Uhm Jung-hwa to Japan’s Geneon Entertainment. It is expected to be released in the island country late this year. “Oasis” and “Friends” were sold to Britain, “The Birth of a Family” to Greece, and “The Host” to Hungary.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...7267_11858.html

Breath, the movie starring Chang Chen right? Read up about it a little.. Hmm... This is interesting, never seen any of his movies yet.. But which one of his movies, is a must watch? Any recommendations?

Guest Epikt

But which one of his movies, is a must watch? Any recommendations?

The problem with KKD is that people usualy don't agree on which of his movies are must watch :sweatingbullets:

In my opinion, The Isle and 3-Iron are the best. And Time.

The Isle is one of the most appreciated, there isn't a lot of argue about it, so you can try this one. But it's a disturbing movie. 3-Iron is more accessible, imho.

Guest inez

Kim KiDuk's 'Breath' gets attention is no surprise at all..anyway most of his movies are well received abroad. My favourites have got to be 'Spring, Summer, Fall..Winter and Spring (Uncut)', 'The Coast Guard', '3 Iron' and 'Time'..i definitely will love 'Breath'.. :) ..i find 'The Bow', 'The Isle', 'Birdcage Inn' quite similar..but yeah i like them too..

Guest Epikt

'Spring, Summer, Fall..Winter and Spring (Uncut)'

There is a cut version ?

Maybe it can be a good thing, I felt like this movie lasted 5 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Friday, 24 August 2007

Korean films vie for Oscar glory

Written by Darcy Paquet

SEOUL -- Three films from South Korea have applied to be the country's official submission to the Best Foreign Language Film category of the 2008 Academy Awards.

The producers of Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine", Kim Ki-duk's "Breath" and local hit "May 18" all submitted applications to the Korean Film Council by the August 23 deadline.

One title among the three will be selected next month by a specially appointed committee. Last year's selection was period drama "King and the Clown". "Secret Sunshine" and "Breath" both screened in competition at this year's Cannes Film Festival, with the former picking up a Best Actress award for Jeon Do-yeon. "May 18", currently at #2 in the box office with 6.2 million admissions, is based on a real incident in 1980 in which government troops shot and killed hundreds of pro-democracy demonstrators.

Each country devises its own rules for selecting one film to be submitted to the Academy for the Best Foreign Language Film category.

South Korea has never had a film selected to be one of the final five nominations voted on by the entire academy.

Source: Variety Asia

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/1944/53/

• 1 month later...
Guest paigehk

I want to see "Breath" now!!!

Man, seriously, I'm in love with his movies. Just love it. I know they are...hum, let's just say different from other kinds. They are unique! But it's something i love about it. He's my favorite. lol, I had so far Spring, Summer, Winter..., 3 Iron, The Coast Guard, BAD GUY (i love the man character), Samaritan Girls Dvds, I want to buy "Time" and other movies too....but me no money. *sigh*

He's my favorite director!

Btw, is REAL FICTION great?

Btw, is REAL FICTION great?

Not really.

It's kind of "experimental" and could have been interesting if some ideas (movie in the movie, subjective view, etc...) were exploited. But it's too close to a normal movie to forgive that it looks really cheap.

By the way, it's the Korean movie made in the least number of hours (3h20 of shooting !). All is explain on the KOFA site.

As you're a KKD fan, I suggest you try watching it, you've got nothing to lose : next time you buy something on DVDfromKorea, add this movie to your cart, it's only 4$ ! :P

PS : US release for Time in November :)

Edit

Good news (if you live in Germany) : Complete Kim Ki-Duk Retrospective at the Munich Asia Filmfest

(via twitch)

• 2 months later...

January 4, 2008

Actors line up for Kim's latest effort

Written by Mark Schilling

20080104102249141cd5.jpg

TOKYO -- Korean helmer Kim Ki-duk has cast Japan's Joe Odagiri and Korea's Lee Na-young in his pic "Bi-mong." Odagiri will play a man who dreams he caused a car crash -- then discovers a real hit-and-run accident. Lee plays the driver arrested by police as the prime suspect, though she claims she was not responsible.

Shooting starts today and is skedded to wrap Jan. 25. Kim's previous pics include "The Isle," "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring," "3-Iron" and "Breath."

Source: VarietyAsia.com, image from empas.com

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5230/

Archived