K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest kdramafanusa

Thanks for the info...I might as well buy them since some of the K-Drama doesn't seem to have a Korean or USA release for them :(

I remember reading Thunderbolt's comments on PMP & Innoform DVD sets, we can wait for her feedbacks. :)

For PMP sets, I notice that HKFLIX offers better prices than YESASIA.

GenDaVinci, which titles are you interested in? :)

---

Found Thunderbolt's post on PMP. Thunder, hope you don't mind me quoting you again.:)

Their subs aren't always bad. I own several PMP-subbed kdramas and movies and sometimes the subs are very good, sometimes roll-your-eyes bad. On average their subs are decent, perhaps 6.5/10? I'm guessing they parcel out the subbing to different people so the quality is uneven. I would still buy their products because these are legit sets and they are far cheaper than what I have to pay online. Some of the popular online stores like Yesasia carry PMP products but it's a lot cheaper to just walk into a store and get them.

Innoform is another one with uneven subs. The White Tower subs were excellent, but I was very disappointed with the ones for Seo Dong Ballad. I glanced at the subs for the first few minutes of ep 1 and just hated what I saw. It's the main reason I have zilch incentive to start watching the drama. What a waste of money. Two-volume set, too. Arrghh!

It's great that more companies outside Korea are given the license to sub the dramas. Still, if money is not an issue (it is!), I would prefer the official releases from Korea because the picture quality is far better. The limited edition sets are especially gorgeous.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest obbsaran

In case anyone was wondering...

Hi creidesca,

Thank you for your email. Yes, unfortunately we needed to delay IRRLY

because we had to wait a long time to receive some important replacement

materials from MBC. (some of the materials they originally sent us were

defective). So we had to move back the tentative release date. We'll try

our

very best to release IRRLY before October.

I can't say all the dramas we've picked up... but we will start work on

these three titles soon:

I Love You

On Air

Gourmet

Thanks,

Tom

whoah i m soo happy to read it, TQ TQ creidesca ^O^^

"gourmet /sikgaek" is yet to start airin june 16, yesasia alreadi had it in dere sub project!~! :w00t:

yeahhh.. i will def buy it right away wen itz out... alreadi waitin impatiently to see raewon oppah~

Guest GenDaVinci

I'm interested in:

Dalja's Spring (I want to see this, but does anyone know if an official Korea or USA release is being made?)

Flowers For My Life (I read that Blue-Max from Singapore bought the rights to this so we won't see a Korea or USA release on this one).

Smile Again (Always a fan of Kim Hee Seon but this seems to be the only version out there besides the HK version)

Legends of the Four Gods (I hope a USA or Korea release is being made for this)

GenDaVinci, which titles are you interested in? :)

Guest kdramafanusa

I'm interested in:

Dalja's Spring (I want to see this, but does anyone know if an official Korea or USA release is being made?)

Flowers For My Life (I read that Blue-Max from Singapore bought the rights to this so we won't see a Korea or USA release on this one).

Smile Again (Always a fan of Kim Hee Seon but this seems to be the only version out there besides the HK version)

Legends of the Four Gods (I hope a USA or Korea release is being made for this)

Hi GenDaVinci,

Creidesca would know about Dalja's Spring.

Smile Again wasn't well received.....I think that the chance of Legend being available on DVD will be very high, it's just a matter time.

I meant to ask you about the J-drama sets from Ember Power? How are their packaging, picture/sub qualities? Are you happy with them? Thanks.

"gourmet /sikgaek" is yet to start airin june 16, yesasia alreadi had it in dere sub project!~! :w00t:

yeahhh.. i will def buy it right away wen itz out... alreadi waitin impatiently to see raewon oppah~

Hi Obbsaran, I'm glad to know that new series are picked up right away too.

I hope Gourmet will be great. :)

Guest GenDaVinci

Hello,

Thanks for the information.

Maybe i'll hold off on purchasing these DVDs from Malaysia. I'm not too keen on the English sub from Malaysia.

As for the J-Drama, I'm not too happy with the English as well. There were too many grammar errors and typo mistake in them, but I had no other option since they were the only DVD set with English sub on the market.

Hi GenDaVinci,

Creidesca would know about Dalja's Spring.

Smile Again wasn't well received.....I think that the chance of Legend being available on DVD will be very high, it's just a matter time.

I meant to ask you about the J-drama sets from Ember Power? How are their packaging, picture/sub qualities? Are you happy with them? Thanks.

Guest mittens

Hello,

Maybe i'll hold off on purchasing these DVDs from Malaysia. I'm not too keen on the English sub from Malaysia.

As for the J-Drama, I'm not too happy with the English as well. There were too many grammar errors and typo mistake in them, but I had no other option since they were the only DVD set with English sub on the market.

\

the only way I've found Dal Ja's spring is by EOR at KBS America. i wrote and asked them about a box set and extra's. when i hear back i'll write.

Guest GenDaVinci

Thanks!

I asked member nokcha about this; and nokcha stated that the EOR at KBS America are just plain DVD+R copies. :(

I hope the EOR service doesn't sell well; therefore, causing them to release a standard DVD boxset.

\

the only way I've found Dal Ja's spring is by EOR at KBS America. i wrote and asked them about a box set and extra's. when i hear back i'll write.

By the way, here are some pictures of K-Drama Someday US release:

http://beautifulthingsinlife.blogspot.com/...rean-drama.html

img8666fixvx9.jpg

img8678fixtm8.jpg

Guest Elusive

I was at Pacific Mall in Canada the other day and I saw lots of series on DVD in packaging I had never seen before. They were in this nice foldout hardcover book-like outer casing, and it's supposed to unfold to reveal the discs. They were all sealed so I couldn't look inside.

I was interested in getting the Hana Yori Dango seasons 1 and 2 (in one package) since I couldn't afford the Japanese set anyway, and I was wondering what the subs were like in this set? Does anyone know what set I am talking about?

EDIT: I found in on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hana-Yori-Dango-1-2-japanese...Z360050919930QQ

How are the subs on this?

Guest kdramafanusa

I was interested in getting the Hana Yori Dango seasons 1 and 2 (in one package) since I couldn't afford the Japanese set anyway, and I was wondering what the subs were like in this set? Does anyone know what set I am talking about?

Hi Elusive, this set is not authentic (bootleg). I don't know how the subs are.

For J-dramas, HKFLIX often have the Malaysian version for much less than the Japanese version; I am not familiar with these brands so I'm not sure if they are authentic. GenDaVinci mentioned that the subs are not good (typos, grammar errors).

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.542138/qx/details.htm

Hi Mittens, I also see 2 other Asian versions of Dal Ja's Spring with English subs ($39.95USD per set). I don't know about their subs though.

Dalja's Spring [HK 6-Disc Set]

Kam & Ronson [A Hong Kong-Based Distributor]

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.546348/qx/details.htm

Dalja's Spring [Malaysia 4-Disc Set]

PMP Entertainment [A Malaysia-Based Distributor]

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.545673/qx/details.htm

By the way, here are some pictures of K-Drama Someday US release:

Hi GenDaVinci, thanks for all the awesome pictures of these sets. :)

Guest ~XoX~

^ The Maylasian version has excellent subtitles. I don't personally own it, but I have a ton of other series by that same distributor and the quality of the subs and video are excellent.

Guest GenDaVinci

I can't imagine the video quality being good when they squeezed two seasons in 3 discs. The one that I purchased isn't great at all.

Unfortunately, I don't believe ever seeing a Japanese edition with English subtitle.

Good luck with your search for this J-Drama.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hana-Yori-Dango-1-2-japanese...Z360050919930QQ

How are the subs on this?

Can anyone else vouch for the quality of English subtitle from the Malaysian version of Dalja's Spring? So far, I haven't been impressed with them.

I'm hoping that they'll release a set from Korea or USA with English subtitle for Dalja's Spring.

^ The Maylasian version has excellent subtitles. I don't personally own it, but I have a ton of other series by that same distributor and the quality of the subs and video are excellent.

You're welcome.

Hi GenDaVinci, thanks for all the awesome pictures of these sets. :)

Guest kdramafanusa

Hi XoX, there are several brands from Malaysia. Which distributor are you referring to?

Most of the J-dramas sets sold at HKFLIX are from Ember Power. Besides the sub qualities, I still wonder if they are authentic.

For K-drama sets from Malaysia, many of us heard of the brand PMP. I read from various members that the english subs vary as well (bad to good), it depends on the individual title. It can be pretty random, that's why I have yet to own any releases from PMP.

If you have a chance, would you please list those of yours that have good subs/video? That will help a lot of us out, we often have to take our chances when we buy these. Thanks in advance. :)

Guest GenDaVinci

Actually, I have already bought it from www.seoulselection.com. Thanks to kdramafanusa!

I highly recommend seoulselection in having a superb customer service. They sent me a wrong DVD set when I had ordered a Limited Edition set, but instead they gave me a regular version set. Since it was a long out of print DVD Limited Edition set, they went out of their way to find a mint used copy and sent it to me again with 2 days express shipping.

If you find any 3 DVD sets that you like from their site, then you should order it from them since the shipping is only $32 for any boxset with 2-3 days shipping. I know site like dvdfromkorea would have charged more for only 1 DVD boxset with 2-3 days shipping.

Hi GenDaVinci,

I just thought this might be of interest to you.

Surgeon Bong Dal Hee DVD - Innoform

Guest melajame

Hi everyone,

I read that you guys are quite curious about products from Innoform and PMP.

Well, I can share my experiences with you. I buy loads of DVDs and I'm someone who is extremely particular about quality. There are 4 major distributors in my country - Scorpio East, Innoform, BlueMax and Poh Kim (in order of merit).

I'm not sure what the standards of excellent/good/average/poor are to you guys, but since I'm such a fussy person, I set the bar really high. =)

DVDs distributed by both Scorpio East and Innoform are of superior quality, in terms of both picture and sound and subtitles (English and/or Mandarin). Some shows do have bonus features included, like postcards, NGs, Behind The Scenes, Cast Interviews, Music Videos, Trailers, etc. Scorpio East packaging is simple - plastic box with individual sleeves in 1 outer softcover box. Innoform packaging has 2 types. Initial release - 2 fold-out parts in 1 outer hardcover box. Re-issue packaging - plastic box with individual sleeves in 1 outer softcover box. Due to restrictions of only one company in my country being able to own the rights to a show, I usually have to alternate between these two distributors. But where possible, I only ever buy their products because I believe in getting the best.

Products from BlueMax and Poh Kim are considerably good. Their English subtitles do contain a handful of grammatical and spelling errors, but nothing like those horrendous versions from mainland China. BlueMax packaging is simple - plastic box with individual sleeves in 1 outer softcover box. Occasionally comes with a A2-size poster.

The DVDs from all 4 distributors used to be in Region 3, but are now Region Free. Let me know if you want any pictures.

Though I don't own any personally, I have a friend who bought a DVD distributed by PMP. I can try to ask for feedback and get some pictures for you guys.

Hope all that helps. =)

Guest kdramafanusa

If you find any 3 DVD sets that you like from their site, then you should order it from them since the shipping is only $32 for any boxset with 2-3 days shipping. I know site like dvdfromkorea would have charged more for only 1 DVD boxset with 2-3 days shipping.

Hi GenDaVinci, I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you. :)

Did you send back the regular version to SeoulSelection then?

I totally agree with you that their shipping is very reasonable when we compare the shipping time/cost with other stores in Korea. More incentive to spend? Hehe.

I was looking around & came across these DVD sets for better prices than most online stores.

DVDPacific & Scarecrow are both authorized reseller of YAE products.

DVDPACIFIC

Palace: Princess Hours [9 Discs] -- $58.70

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=892631

Jumong Vol.1-4 -- $49.66 per set

http://www.dvdpacific.com/search2008.asp?c...p;t-text=Jumong

SCARECROW

White Tower -- $54.95

http://www.scarecrow.com/sales/item.asp?ProductID=8308

Truth - $54.95

http://www.scarecrow.com/sales/item.asp?ProductID=8309

Guest kdramafanusa

Well, I can share my experiences with you. I buy loads of DVDs and I'm someone who is extremely particular about quality. There are 4 major distributors in my country - Scorpio East, Innoform, BlueMax and Poh Kim (in order of merit).

...I'm not sure what the standards of excellent/good/average/poor are to you guys, but since I'm such a fussy person, I set the bar really high. =)

...Though I don't own any personally, I have a friend who bought a DVD distributed by PMP. I can try to ask for feedback and get some pictures for you guys.

Hi Melajame,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, that really helps all of us here. :)

My local bookstores don't carry most of these brands so I tend to order from online stores.

For YesAsia, those of us living in US/Canada can only buy from their North American store so many products made for other countries will not be sold to us. I often hear about Innoform & PMP from members who buy them. There are some online stores (such as HKFLIX, DVDASIAN) that sell PMP releases that are either never released in US/Korea or sold out already, I always want to get them but keep holding back.

For subtitles, some are so bad (poor) that we couldn't even understand what the actors are saying. Typos (good) and grammar errors (possibly average) are not the worst case yet. Hehee. The perfect ones are excellent.

Guest GenDaVinci

Hiya,

At first, they wanted to know the shipping cost back to them. Since it costs about $13 for regular First Class shipping, they asked me to ship it back to them. If it costs more, then I'm sure they'll ask me to keep it since it wouldn't be worth it to send it back if it costs more than the DVD itself.

They wanted to reimburse the shipping cost back to me, but I declined their offer and pay $13 out of my pocket. Because of their excellent customer support, I didn't mind at all. I'm just please that they made the extra effort to find an out of print DVD set and sending it to me 2-3 days shippping. That's why I recommend seoulselection from now on. I owned a lot of K-Drama already so I don't have many titles to buy at the moment. I did tell them to post actual DVD cover to avoid confusion.

I'm a fan of scarecrow as well. I'll be looking at them for US Region 1 DVD set in the future. I agree they have some great prices.

Hi GenDaVinci, I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you. :)

Did you send back the regular version to SeoulSelection then?

I totally agree with you that their shipping is very reasonable when we compare the shipping time/cost with other stores in Korea. More incentive to spend? Hehe.

I was looking around & came across these DVD sets for better prices than most online stores.

DVDPacific & Scarecrow are both authorized reseller of YAE products.

DVDPACIFIC

Palace: Princess Hours [9 Discs] -- $58.70

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=892631

Jumong Vol.1-4 -- $49.66 per set

http://www.dvdpacific.com/search2008.asp?c...p;t-text=Jumong

SCARECROW

White Tower -- $54.95

http://www.scarecrow.com/sales/item.asp?ProductID=8308

Truth - $54.95

http://www.scarecrow.com/sales/item.asp?ProductID=8309

Guest kdramafanusa

[2008.05.14] With A Girl Of Black Soil

- Yoo Yun-mi, Jo Young-jin

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6628

[2008.05.15] Sangdo vol.1 (English subtitled K-TV Series)

- Lee Jae-ryong, Kim Hyun-joo, Lee Soon-jae

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6626

[2008.05.15] Smile Babo: Special Edition (2disc)

- Choi Sung-kook, Kong Hyung-jin, Choi Jung-won

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6629

[2008.05.20] Classic (dts-2disc) (re-release)

- Son Ye-jin, Jo Seung-woo, Jo In-sung, Lee Gi-woo

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=242

[2008.06.04] Lovers Of 6 Years: Special Edition (2disc)

- Kim Ha-neul, Yoon Kye-sang

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6630

Guest melajame

For YesAsia, those of us living in US/Canada can only buy from their North American store so many products made for other countries will not be sold to us. I often hear about Innoform & PMP from members who buy them. There are some online stores (such as HKFLIX, DVDASIAN) that sell PMP releases that are either never released in US/Korea or sold out already, I always want to get them but keep holding back.

Hi kdramafanusa,

Hmmm, I didn't know YesAsia had that restriction for their US/Canada customers. Maybe that's only if you're purchasing products that YA! Entertainment has obtained the licensing rights for. But they do sell products from PMP. They mostly have the words "Malaysia version" in the title. You can also get PMP products from Zoom Movie and So Drama. Just email them to double check if the particular product you want is distributed by PMP before purchasing as they do stock products from other Malaysian distributors as well. It's a bit more difficult to buy Innoform releases from overseas, unless you know someone residing in Singapore and get them to help you. But if you don't mind buying second-hand, you can try Yahoo! Singapore and eBay Singapore.

I have attached pictures of some products from Innoform, Blue Max and PMP for your reference.

Innoform - Exterior and Interior

InnoForm01-PrincessHours.jpg

InnoForm02-PrincessHours.jpg

Blue Max

BlueMax-MyLovelySamSoon.jpg

PMP - Front and Back and Interior

PMP-PrincessHours01.jpg

PMP-PrincessHours02.jpg

=)

Archived