Guest dolcedor.

The Godfather (1 & 2 - 3 is totally missable) - the mafia movie

Infernal Affairs (1 - 2&3 are missable) - undercover cops and robbers

Fight Club - you'll never look at soap the same way again

Gone with the Wind - can be long and tedious, but very much a classic

-will post more when i think of them-

*Checks yes on The Godfather, Fight Club, and Gone with the Wind*

Other good movies are:

The Boondock Saints: It's about a pair of fraternal twin brothers -- vigilantes -- who take it upon themselves to right the wrongs of the world by killing "wrongdoers" such as gang bosses, pimps, drug dealers, rapists, etc. It raises quite the philosophical question: If the brothers are -killing- these people, are their own actions considered "wrong", or is it morally/legally acceptable for them to be doing these things?

Se7en: Based upon the biblical seven deadly sins: gluttony, greed, sloth, lust, pride, envy, and wrath. A serial killer kills 7 people, one by one. Each of these people has committed one of the seven deadly sins. Throughout the entire movie, two detectives (played by Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman) try to catch these guys. When they finally do, it's revealed that... well, I don't want to spoil it :). The movie was directed by David Fincher, who also directed Fight Club.

Pulp Fiction: It's a black comedy, extremely clever. Directed by Quentin Tarantino. Apparently this isn't his best film though. His best film, supposedly, is Reservoir Dogs.

Equilibrium: A dystopia set some time in the future. A totalitarian government has forced all its citizens to take a drug that suppresses all emotions, thus eliminating such negativities as hate, crime, and war; though even emotions such as love is suppressed. However, the protagonist eventually starts questioning the system to which he has been bound and stops taking those drugs. What ensues is a plot to destabilizing the government and restore society to its previous, unsuppressed state.

Guest .moony.

I've seen a lot but these are the really amazing ones: (must watch!!)

Little miss sunshine

Spirited Away - i've watched it 5 times lol

I forgot...will come back when i remember more XD

Guest Happy_Day

Howl's Moving Castle

Pan's Labyrinth

Ever After

Black Hawk Down

Saving Private Ryan

The Motel

Better Luck Tomorrow

Pride and Prejudice

Pursuit of Happyness

I fourth V for Vendetta - there's something about the way V is that's mad hot.

Coach Carter is an awesome one too - it's the cliche sports movie of coming together, but it's good and can't complain about them hot guys. lol.

Guest Aice 29

I'm not really a movie buff but I've liked quite a few films. Some were mentioned already like Grave of the Fireflies, Infernal Affairs, Hotel Rwanda, and Battle Royale. To add to the list, I'd recommend ( if you haven't seen them already)..

Thank you for smoking- satirical indie film about lobbyist Nick Naylor, who makes a profession spinning or distorting the truth for the tobacco company. The movie is basically about "spin control" ( the movie does not take sides on the smoking issue) in general, how it's everywhere, in the news, where politicians are involved,etc.. Script is really great. Clever and funny. The actors ( Rob Lowe, Maria Bello, Robert Duvall, Adam Brody, KAtie Holmes..) decided to do the movie because of the writing, despite being paid next to nothing.

Leon ( The Professional) -This is Natalie Portman's first movie, I think. She plays a young girl who becomes an orphan when her whole family is murdered. Jean Reno plays a lonely hitman who happens to be her neighbor and takes her in after what happened. Natalie's character vows to learn about his trade and take revenge on the men who killed her little brother. The relationship between Jean Reno and Natalie Portman's character might disturb some viewers who'll view it as pedophillic but I thought their relationship was touching.

Shutter- I don't know if it's pee-in-your-pants scary but it has an interesting ending ( even my cousin who didn't love the movie, admitted the ending was great). It's a Thai horror flick revolving a photographer and his girlfriend who are involve with a hit and run incident one night after dinner with friends, and find themselves being haunted by a female spirit. Later, it is revealed that the ghost is not any strange ghost, but someone the photographer knew very well in his life. I think it's going to be remade into an american movie like Ju-on and Ringu was. ( A little side note..If you're looking for some eye candy, the main actor somewhat resembles Orlando Bloom... that is if Orlando Bloom was reincarnated into a Thai person.)

12 angry men- simple, yet engaging movie about 12 jurors deliberating the fate of a young Hispanic. I just thought of the movie because I remembered watching a Monk episode that's storyline revolved around the basic idea of 12 angry men, a couple of weeks ago.

Flying Boys( Korean, coming of age) & Over the Hedge (if you like animated movies)- I don't feel like writing anymore but you can find synopses of these two films, along with almost every movie ever made on imdb.com

Guest i3lu3fun

Please watch this :D

ROMANTIC

1. A Moment To Remember [Korean]

2. Love Letter [Japan]

ROMANTIC COMEDY

1. Love Actually [English]

2. You've Got Mail [English]

3. The Wedding Planner [English]

FANTASY

1. Mirror Mask [English]

2. Pan's Labyrinth [Mexico - ithink]

HORROR

1. Shutter [Thailand]

2. The Others [English]

3. Eye 10 [Thailand - ithink] (i want to put this under the category of comedy, because i laugh like mad when i watch it. but putting it here was more appropriate i guess. it was a horror movie afterall, catch it if you want to know what its all about. :P)

OTHERS

1. Crash [English]

2. Monster's House [English]

3. Spirited Away [Japan]

Guest iamstellar!

"A Beautiful Life" - the most interesting take on WWII

"Crash" - compelling storyline - great movie

"I am Sam" - touching story and GREAT acting by Sean Penn

"What's Eating Gilbert Grape" - interesting movie with Johnny Depp and Leo DiCaprio (Leo's acting is really good in this movie and he was soo young)

"A Beautiful Mind" - loved this movie

"Amelie" - love Audrey Tatou! feel good movie

"Hotel Rwanda" - GREAT movie - you learn a lot.

there's soo many...i'll post more later if i remember

Guest VersusVillain

Ikiru (Kurosawa, 1952)

A lonely old man learns he's dying and tries to make meaning of his life.

Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950)

Three men discuss their versions of a rape/murder that accured the day before.

Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954)

Seven Samurai are called on to help a small village who are about to be attacked by bandits.

Fires on the Plain (Ichikawa, 1959)

In a squad abandoned during WWII, a Japanese soldier tries to maintain his humanity while his fellow soldiers resort to murder and cannibalism.

Tokyo Drifter (Suzuki, 1966)

A retired yakuza is brought back to crime by a rival gang.

L'Avventura (Antonioni, 1960)

After Anna mysteriously disappears, Anna's friend and fiance become lovers.

The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959)

A young French boy turns to a life of petty crime after being neglected by his parents and school teachers.

Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)

A young Czech woman finds love in a musician who only wants to use her.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Forman, 1975)

After being sent from prison to a psychiatric ward, a man challenges the head nurse and befriends the patients.

Wild Strawberries (Bergman, 1952)

An aging professor is haunted by nightmares of his meaningless existence.

Umberto D. (De Sica, 1952)

After being evicted, a retired civil servant's only companion is his dog, Flike.

Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)

Following the death of a publishing tycoon, news reporters scramble to discover the meaning of his final utterance.

Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)

A biographical film about the middleweight champ, the physically tough, but emotionally self-destructive Jake LaMotta.

1952<3

Guest Iridescence

There are so many good movies out there, it's insanee.

Just a few titles that I can think of are:

Grave of the Fireflies

Amelie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Eh... I'll get back to this list EVENTUALLY.

Guest Ama Vita

Seriously, there are so many great movies out there! But off the top of my head:

Amelie

Amadeus

A Beautiful Mind

Casablanca

Cast Away

Chocolat

Cold Mountain

Forrest Gump

Munich

I am Sam

Pan's Labryinth

Boondock Saints

You've Got Mail

The Terminal

Road to Perdition

Sleepless in Seattle

You probably get the idea now that I'm a Tom Hanks fan.

• 6 years later...
Guest Lexy1430292422

If you're the type who likes romantic comedy's then I'd suggest the French movie " Heartbreaker ", or the Korean movie "You're my pet " which stars Jang Geun Suk.     

If you like action movies then I'd say " New Police Story " which is a Jackie Chan movie, it's a bit gruesome but still awesome                                                ( all Jackie Chan movies are awesome ! )    

The live action of Death Note is a worth while movie even if you haven't seen the anime or read the manga.

My favourite romance movie is a Hong Kong film called " Look for a Star " if you don't know it you should just look up the plot.                                          ( it's a bit difficult to explain, sorry : ( 

• 1 year later...
Guest minjjangxx1846

You've probably seen it, but if you want a cute yet tear-jerking (And by jerking, I mean you will bawl, most likely), movie, then Miracle In Cell No. 7.
EDIT: This isn't a Korean movie, but it's a Western movie called 'Philomena' and it's a drama, it has some comedy moments, but it's really good (in my opinion) and sweet, and I cried, especially at the end.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Paulina Morán

They already said the best...but let me see if I can add. In my opinion:

1) Les Choristes

2) Norwegian wood

3) My neighbor totoro

4) Usagi Drop Liveaction (it's just cute, nothing too artistic)

5) Le petite Nicolas (really funny)

Uugh I can't remember more...

6) 71 into the fire (maybe...if you like korean films)

Good luck! My favorites are 1 & 2 ^^

Guest Paulina Morán

They already said the best...but let me see if I can add. In my opinion:

1) Les Choristes

2) Norwegian wood

3) My neighbor totoro

4) Usagi Drop Liveaction (it's just cute, nothing too artistic)

5) Le petite Nicolas (really funny)

Uugh I can't remember more...

6) 71 into the fire (maybe...if you like korean films)

Good luck! My favorites are 1 & 2 ^^

Ooh I don't know why this movie came to my mind: Kill your Darlings. It's not that bad, the main actor may surprise you. It's just that I like things that has to be with the Beat Generarion.

Archived