The Official DSLR/DRF Threadⓥ

Guest erure

Guest watcher

we should all do some kind of weekly thing where we decide on a subject, and take pictures and share a few. give each other advice on composition and colors and stuff. maybe put up links to the raw file and photoshop each others images. i'm a total noob at postprocessing, so i could use a few ideas from other people.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest EYJAYJAY

i understand that raw is the best format to take pictures in (for photography). Is it because you can do more modifications in PS or is it because it's simply easier to make changes?

Guest watcher

i understand that raw is the best format to take pictures in (for photography). Is it because you can do more modifications in PS or is it because it's simply easier to make changes?

if you shoot in jpg, the firmware in the camera will do the postprocessing for you based off your camera settings.

shooting in raw allows you to save your image as is, without any changes/loss of data.

when post-processing on a PC, shooting in raw offers you greater flexibility to make the proper changes.

you can still post-process images with jpg files, but it's less effective than raw.

xt does feel somewhat small though, but i cant afford a 20D, sigh..

Did you get the battery grip? It's helped me a lot to adjust to my XTi's "smallness" and gave me twice as much battery life...^^ I wish I could have just gotten a 30D... =//////=

Guest malevolent.

I'm planning on getting a DSLR and was wondering if a Nikon D50 is a good camera for me? :) I'm a wayyy beginner & I've read reviews on how it's an excellent newbie camera!

Guest watcher

I'm planning on getting a DSLR and was wondering if a Nikon D50 is a good camera for me? :) I'm a wayyy beginner & I've read reviews on how it's an excellent newbie camera!

if you dont have any pre-existing lenses and this is your first dslr... i'd ask...

what your budget is, and what kind of photography you intend to do?

Guest malevolent.

Under $700, I'm a part-time worker & full time high school senior & paying this out of my own pockets. :ph34r: And I'm planning on doing a lot of portraits & landscape/scenery shots. :D

Guest watcher

Under $700, I'm a part-time worker & full time high school senior & paying this out of my own pockets. :ph34r: And I'm planning on doing a lot of portraits & landscape/scenery shots. :D

i think nikon tops canon when it comes to landscape/portraits. especially when taking portraits with flash!! d50 seems like a good choice given your budget. i'd take a look at the different starter lenses, but i think the 17~70mm kit lens might be a great start.

I also believe that most(if not all) RAW/NEF files are 16-bit 12-bit compared to jpegs which are 8-bit. Which mean more data per pixel which leads to more accurate/less lossy images.

we should all do some kind of weekly thing where we decide on a subject, and take pictures and share a few. give each other advice on composition and colors and stuff. maybe put up links to the raw file and photoshop each others images. i'm a total noob at postprocessing, so i could use a few ideas from other people.

I want to do that! But maybe not the RAW thing because I don't even know how to do the postprocessing yet... I need to learn XP What subject shall we do this week... Hopefully something MACRO >:D

watcher where's my flash link you promised~~~

Guest watcher

I also believe that most(if not all) RAW/NEF files are 16-bit compared to jpegs which are 8-bit. Which mean more data per pixel which leads to more accurate/less lossy images.

i heard it was 12, and the first 4 bits are not really used? hmm... time to go look it up. *runs off*

I want to do that! But maybe not the RAW thing because I don't even know how to do the postprocessing yet... I need to learn XP What subject shall we do this week... Hopefully something MACRO >:D

watcher where's my flash link you promised~~~

sorry about that...

here you go:

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-5.html

somethin macro? hmm... sounds fun, let's do it!!! (though you get an advantage since you have a dedicated macro lens!!)

Guest lackluster

i'll put my work up soon, once i get my usb friggin fixed lol..xD

i think 30d is perfect for my hand size and the way it's manufactured was made exclusively for me =D!HAHA

but i recently dropped it =( amazing that i don't have a single scratch on it.

edit -

oh yeah i got CF reader,still didn't work. and brought my cpu to this place for a fix up, but they said i need a new motherboard, supposedly my computer is a piece of doodoo.

Guest EYJAYJAY

okay all this talk about cameras, now why don't you guys post up your work :)

work with dslr will come in a few weeks. my old work with point and shoot are in my sig :)

if you shoot in jpg, the firmware in the camera will do the postprocessing for you based off your camera settings.

shooting in raw allows you to save your image as is, without any changes/loss of data.

when post-processing on a PC, shooting in raw offers you greater flexibility to make the proper changes.

you can still post-process images with jpg files, but it's less effective than raw.

ah ok. but pretty much all the post-processing work done with jpg and raw are similar right? u'll still get access to curves...etc? (sry if i dont make sense on this one)

Did you get the battery grip? It's helped me a lot to adjust to my XTi's "smallness" and gave me twice as much battery life...^^ I wish I could have just gotten a 30D... =//////=

thinking about it, but i need a job... i cant afford to spend anymore money right now lol. how about you donate me one ;) haha <3

i heard it was 12, and the first 4 bits are not really used? hmm... time to go look it up. *runs off*

sorry about that...

here you go:

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-5.html

somethin macro? hmm... sounds fun, let's do it!!! (though you get an advantage since you have a dedicated macro lens!!)

Bah, screw macro. My min focus distances are almost 2ft.. on a 70mm or 6ft @300mm which is hard as hell.... both of which != macro.

:-/ I find closeups of flowers/bugs/fruits/surfaces are blah anyway most of the time.

Guest watcher

ah ok. but pretty much all the post-processing work done with jpg and raw are similar right? u'll still get access to curves...etc? (sry if i dont make sense on this one)

hmm... you can edit whatever way you want with raw or jpg, but raw's better and easier to work with. i could change the white balance of a raw image within seconds, but it would take me minutes to fix the white balance on a jpg (since white balance has already been applied and irreversible)

Archived