The Official DSLR/DRF Threadⓥ

Guest erure

You guys got some nice cameras. My dad still got his old school Nikon something(Need to check the name of it later)...I seriously don't like its functions and they're confusing as heck.

But! I do like my Nikon Coolpix 7900 even though it's digital.

Have you guys develop your own films and stuff? Can I get any tips on developing films? I often get my negatives all scratched up so when I develop the pictures, there are scratches here and there.

man i havent shot film since high school photo class, but i can say it was an awesome experience. if i had a dark room id prolly buy a film camera, cuz i kinda miss it. but yeah just be very careful when loading and unloading the film into the camera. and when you're in the dark room keep track of where the negatives are cuz theres chemicals all over the place that people just leave and if your film comes into contact with it they can get damaged. also be careful placing the film into the enlarger, take your time and dont shove it in there. same with taking it out. oh yeah and also try to check if the enlarger is cleaned and try not to touch the front photo paper with your fingers cuz i noticed i got my finger prints on my pictures after i looked at them outside the dark room. you prolly knew a bunch of this stuff already, but i hope it kinda helps.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're great, but sometimes you can't get the manual control compare to a regular normal camera that takes film.

That's what DSLRs are for :lol: Maybe I'll get into it... After I get a darkroom [which means I'd have a house too I suppose] +_+

man i havent shot film since high school photo class, but i can say it was an awesome experience. if i had a dark room id prolly buy a film camera, cuz i kinda miss it. but yeah just be very careful when loading and unloading the film into the camera. and when you're in the dark room keep track of where the negatives are cuz theres chemicals all over the place that people just leave and if your film comes into contact with it they can get damaged. also be careful placing the film into the enlarger, take your time and dont shove it in there. same with taking it out. oh yeah and also try to check if the enlarger is cleaned and try not to touch the front photo paper with your fingers cuz i noticed i got my finger prints on my pictures after i looked at them outside the dark room. you prolly knew a bunch of this stuff already, but i hope it kinda helps.

Thanks. I'll definitely use these tips. I'm a rusher when it comes to developing the film. I go in and I go out. I hate staying in the dark room too long because of the smell and my eyes gets tired of trying to figure out if the lighting is good enough to develop the picture.

That's what DSLRs are for laugh.gif Maybe I'll get into it... After I get a darkroom [which means I'd have a house too I suppose] +_+

I really want a DSLR now. But I don't know how long I'll be into photography. I wonder if there is a smaller compact DSLR out there.

I really want a DSLR now. But I don't know how long I'll be into photography. I wonder if there is a smaller compact DSLR out there.

The cheapest DSLR that I know of is Nikon D40 which is maybe $500 with a kit lens... I think the Canon Rebel XTi is smaller though, but not sure. I know the XTi is smaller than the D50 for sure...

Thanks. I'll definitely use these tips. I'm a rusher when it comes to developing the film. I go in and I go out. I hate staying in the dark room too long because of the smell and my eyes gets tired of trying to figure out if the lighting is good enough to develop the picture.

you should make a test strip if you're not sure how much light to use when developing the picture so you know whats a good exposure time to use on the enlarger. i dunno if you've done this or not but basically what you do is you cover about 3/4 of the picture using a picece of cardboard or whatever so only 1/4 of it is gonan be exposed when you turn on the light from the enlarger. And then you expose that 1/4 for a few seconds, lets say like 5 seconds, then then scoot the cardboard over so its only covering about half the picture and expose that for 5 seconds then scoot it over again after 5 seconds to expose 3/4 then all of it. then the print will kinda look like a gradient after its developed and it should give you an idea of how long to expose your final print for.

so it should look somehting like this when you're done.

test_strip.jpg

wangta

Oh yeah, I do this all the time, well the first couple times of developing, but I got lazy of doing it so I end up just exposing the whole picture doing 12-13 seconds. And sometimes, during the process, I kick myself cause doing test strips sometimes don't come out the way I want it. This is where I complain how developing the film takes forever and the papers are expensive. So far, I owe my teacher $10 but he doesn't remember.

The cheapest DSLR that I know of is Nikon D40 which is maybe $500 with a kit lens... I think the Canon Rebel XTi is smaller though, but not sure. I know the XTi is smaller than the D50 for sure...

The Canon Rebel XTi is expensive! I'm definitely going to wait for a bit longer with these cameras.

The Canon Rebel XTi is expensive! I'm definitely going to wait for a bit longer with these cameras.

Try going for the XT. Not much of a difference except for the extra megapixels ... Not sure if the XT had the same dust-removing mechanism.

And you have extra cash (Around $100-200) to buy a better lens.

Guest sweet_pai

I have a question, but first I'm taking a photography class since its required with my major anyways. I'm too poor to buy a dslr or srl-like. I'm looking for a compact, with aperture and shutter priority and maybe with uncompressed file format. I was looking through dpreview. com and saw the Olympus SP-350 the specs seem nice, but i really don't know. What do you guys think?

I have a question, but first I'm taking a photography class since its required with my major anyways. I'm too poor to buy a dslr or srl-like. I'm looking for a compact, with aperture and shutter priority and maybe with uncompressed file format. I was looking through dpreview. com and saw the Olympus SP-350 the specs seem nice, but i really don't know. What do you guys think?

i'd suggest something a little more up to date such as the canon A710 is. it has aperture and shutter priority modes. most of the reviews i found on the olumpus were from 2005.

Guest watcher

i think the fuji f20/f30 models have what you need. and takes great pics too.

have you considered buying a used film SLR? like the canon elan 7? you can find one used for $100~200 and figure out a lens for another $100 or so. you wont be using ~$1500 to buy prosumer level digital equipment but you'll learn everything you do with digital and more. plus, your pictures will be just as good.

If you're looking for a digital camera then fujifilm f30 is really great... And if you're looking for film how about Nikon EM?? I don't know a lot of my friends use it and they seem to like it a lot... ^^

Guest felinewong

aren't we all glad that digital and photoshop came along?

wasn't much fun back in the days creating mask for film..especially for color neg...

aren't we all glad that digital and photoshop came along?

wasn't much fun back in the days creating mask for film..especially for color neg...

It's spoiled me too much... I feel like I'll never get into film now... T____T But people who shoot film look so much... cooler hahaha

I have the the cybershot DSC-R1

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=n...sa=N&tab=wi

...............................................but I don't have the chance to use it yet, but a lot says it's better than EOS.

Um actually the R1 is not exactly a DSLR... So you can't really compare it to EOS ^^;; And the only DSLR from Sony so far is A100 which can compete with Canon -- I heard it's good but usually for a DSLR it's either Canon or Nikon.

Anyway I got my macro lens today and it's so cool... It's not anything super like an L lens but still good enough for a newbie like me ^^;;

Guest daifeilo

ok, noob alert: -_-

any nikon experts here? i've tried using d40 and i really like the user interface they have on the screen (when you are adjusting settings like iso, ap etc.), very basic and userfriendly - for the amateur like me. i want to know if higher nikon models like d50 have this too? only thing which not makes me want a d40 is because limited number of lens compatibility,

or if you know other dslr with very good novice user interface , pls recommend

Guest watcher

ok, noob alert: -_-

any nikon experts here? i've tried using d40 and i really like the user interface they have on the screen (when you are adjusting settings like iso, ap etc.), very basic and userfriendly - for the amateur like me. i want to know if higher nikon models like d50 have this too? only thing which not makes me want a d40 is because limited number of lens compatibility,

or if you know other dslr with very good novice user interface , pls recommend

well, for user-friendliness, i think the d40 will win hands down. c'mon, the thing will put up messages (on the lcd) about how your picture will come out overexposed! and instead of saying 'overexposed' it simply says 'subject is too bright.' hehe

but i dont know.. they stripped out the top status LCD, the AF motor (so you have to manual focus most older nikon lenses) and reduced the AF sensor to 3 points (instead of the 5 that the d50 had). plus, it uses a different battery than it's predecessors. this camera will take great pictures, but it's not very futureproof at all.

but if it fulfills your need, and you dont think your need will change much over the next few years, i dont think it's a bad investment at all. especially considering that some people in these forums are willing to buy $500 sony cameras that cant take as good a picture as a $300 canon but still buy it just because it looks stylish or cute. how's that for a sales pitch?!

anyways... umm... anyone take shots of their camera recently? :P

30dlu7.jpg

Guest miranduh

does anyone like the fuji dslr? my friend said she has one but i haven't seen it yet.

i haven't done any research yet on which camera i want although my uncle has been hyping up the nikon for me :/

i really can't decide but i'm working my butt off to earn enough $$ to get a really nice one.

you guys sound so pro with all the lens and filter lol xD i feel too noob since i'm coming off basic slr knowledge :x

and for the person who has scratched up negatives.

buy some archive perservers and some lens tissue xD

there's also this liquid you can wipe your negatives with..but i forgot what's it's called.. ;-;

i'm looking for something that would provide me with vivid colours, a reallllly good anti-shake function so like at rock concerts and everything ;-;, and really close focus, and amazing details so like high MP? :P

also a camera with quick functions so like the nobs and buttons are on the top of the camera instead of looking through the menu?

kinda like an old film camera ..... i really need to research ._.

does anyone like the fuji dslr? my friend said she has one but i haven't seen it yet.

i haven't done any research yet on which camera i want although my uncle has been hyping up the nikon for me :/

i really can't decide but i'm working my butt off to earn enough $$ to get a really nice one.

you guys sound so pro with all the lens and filter lol xD i feel too noob since i'm coming off basic slr knowledge :x

and for the person who has scratched up negatives.

buy some archive perservers and some lens tissue xD

there's also this liquid you can wipe your negatives with..but i forgot what's it's called.. ;-;

i'm looking for something that would provide me with vivid colours, a reallllly good anti-shake function so like at rock concerts and everything ;-;, and really close focus, and amazing details so like high MP? :P

also a camera with quick functions so like the nobs and buttons are on the top of the camera instead of looking through the menu?

kinda like an old film camera ..... i really need to research ._.

I think the Nikon D50 would be right for you... Because with the Canon XTi you have to go through the LCD screen and buttons to adjust settings like ISO and stuff... The Nikon D50 is really great.

However I don't think DSLR's are what you'd want to take to rock concerts because it's really big and clunky... Plus you'd have to be really cautious the entire time because people love stealing DSLR's. And a really good anti-shake function is in Sony's A100's SSS~ Or you could just go with a Canon's IS Point and Shoot.

Archived