The Official DSLR/DRF Threadⓥ

Guest erure

Guest Tepper

i'd just get a lens brush/pen and clean once in a while. if dust gets on lens, it gets on the filter too. i'd get a filter if i need a certain effect.

UV filters are effective at stopping direct damage to the lens glass. Somewhat. heh, well for like a $15 I suppose a filter boosts durability quite a bit. Though dust isn't really stopped.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Angie

canonrebelxt.jpg

I have an XT, but I'm still crap at using it :[ I need to take time to learn more about it when I'm less busy.

I've also been meaning to get a new lens (because right now I only have the kit lens), but I'm low on funds. I need to get a job D: Well, any suggestions on not-pricey, mediocre glass?

daniel.png

The neighbor~

Guest Brusky

you'll have to give us a little more insight so we can help you better

what kind of price range do you have?

what are your needs (i.e. what things do you shoot)? do you need a lot of zoom power, ability to shoot in low light, etc.?

Guest Angie

With my current wallet amount I could probably only get something maybe $70-$150 worth. I was looking into the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Heard it's pretty good although it's a plastic lens. I'm not that picky anyways, but any opinions on that lens?

I don't have any specific needs, I just need a decent all-around lens I suppose. Sorry if I'm being so broad, I still don't know much about photography, but I want to learn >0<;; The stuff I've been shooting lately is mostly in broad daylight, and my subjects are mostly my little brother and his friends playing outside in action, so maybe that will help. Sorry if this was confusing D:

Guest watcher

With my current wallet amount I could probably only get something maybe $70-$150 worth. I was looking into the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Heard it's pretty good although it's a plastic lens. I'm not that picky anyways, but any opinions on that lens?

I don't have any specific needs, I just need a decent all-around lens I suppose. Sorry if I'm being so broad, I still don't know much about photography, but I want to learn >0<;; The stuff I've been shooting lately is mostly in broad daylight, and my subjects are mostly my little brother and his friends playing outside in action, so maybe that will help. Sorry if this was confusing D:

well, with the 50, you're gonna be doing a lot of foot-zooming. hehe... but the 50mm is a great lens to learn depth of field, and considering the crop factor, a very good fit for a portrait lens. i think it's worth your money to get one. however, just be sure to give it a fair chance and not get disappointed in it after the first few tries. using primes needs some getting used to.

Guest Brusky

amazing lol wow, imagine carrying that canon around...people might think you were trying to nuke something

Guest malevolent.

OH SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL. I used almost half the money I saved up today. :( Now I need to wait extra longer for my Nikon. :tears:

Guest chaosiii

well, with the 50, you're gonna be doing a lot of foot-zooming. hehe... but the 50mm is a great lens to learn depth of field, and considering the crop factor, a very good fit for a portrait lens. i think it's worth your money to get one. however, just be sure to give it a fair chance and not get disappointed in it after the first few tries. using primes needs some getting used to.

I totally agree with u =)

I think 50mm lens are awesome

I need to get one...if i START taking more pictures

xD...buy one ANGIE

Guest felinewong

O dang ... it does look like a nuke ... Try taking a picture without a tripod. xD

Are there even filters for something that big????

yea, the filter goes in a holder in the back by the lens mount

Guest EYJAYJAY

holy mother of jesus, that's a huge freakin lens. man if i had that i'd hire brusky to be the lens stand when i snap pics.

Guest erure

When you store lenses that aren't being used by your camera is it better to have the glass up or down? Or maybe it doesn't really matter...

Guest watcher

When you store lenses that aren't being used by your camera is it better to have the glass up or down? Or maybe it doesn't really matter...

i usually keep the wider end down on the floor. unless it's stored in some kind of bag, then it's whatever position it's in in the bag. hehe

Guest erure

i usually keep the wider end down on the floor. unless it's stored in some kind of bag, then it's whatever position it's in in the bag. hehe

Yeah me too but I noticed that all the camera stores display it the other way... So I got kind of O_O

Guest shiwi

is there anything out there similar to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 but with ZOOM? man, foot zooming is frustrating the heck outta me.

Guest Brusky

if you've got some change to spare, $1100'll get you a canon 24-70L. i've shot with this lens before and it's amazingly sharp. has a fair zoom range with a fixed 2.8 ap, but it's a bit heavy to be carrying around all day. it felt like a monster strapped to my xt, especially since i don't have a battery grip.

Archived