Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest predator

Okay...

I notice that when I sing... I ALWAYS tend to sway from side to side with the beat/rhythm..

my sis tells me to stop but i can't!

so what should i do?

Guest JF21©

how do singers like christina aguilera and mariah carey make their voice "rumble" when they're singing?

you can find that here the ''rumble'' is called vabrato (sp?)

sry if this was already asked b4 or wutever... but i dont really understand... is falsetto the same thing as head voice? cuz in the descriptions given here it kinda seems like they are?...

click the link above.

but in my opinion, falsetto and head voice aren't the same, but they are similar. to me, head voice is more clear (for example Se7en sings in his head voice the majority of the time) and falsetto is like a step above head voice...almost imitating a female -for men- and it's very breathy (think Ciara, Janet, Justin Timberlake's songs for the most part)

kinda like:

Rain~Escape the Sun -throat (husky)

Se7en~ I Just Wanna Be-head/face (clear)

Ivy-Aha,chorus-head/crown (falsetto)

when you practice singing you can ''feel'' where your voice is at..and in each area, it will produce a different sound...lol i don't know if i'm making sense..:ph34r:..anybody else who can elaborate on what i'm *trying* to say lol

Okay...

I notice that when I sing... I ALWAYS tend to sway from side to side with the beat/rhythm..

my sis tells me to stop but i can't!

so what should i do?

dont stop. you're feeling the music. if you feel you need to sway or bop your head or snap or what have you, do it. don't change..unless it's getting in the way of your singing. ;)

Guest simply__j

QUESTION!:

How do you support your stomach/breathing when singing?? && How do you um... i would say strengthen(?) your vocals?? :sweatingbullets:

Guest JF21©

i gotta problem; for some reason when i record it has dead air in it. it used to not; but i dont know somethings wrong wit the settings i think but i'm not sure what >_<''

you mean there's no recording of your voice..just air?

make sure your mic is plugged in all the way, that it's on, and make sure that the volume for the mic is up and not on mute

:::right click the little speaker in your taskbar::: it should be near the time

click Adjust Audio Properties

on the volume tab click Advanced

on the Microphone volume slider, make sure the little box is not checked and that the slider is adjusted to a comfortable volume for you.

hope that helps

Guest JF21©

^ i tried that before. like it records my voice. but it also has dead air at the same time >_<''

OOOOHH..hmmm..*taps head in thought*.i'm kinda confused..could you post a clip of you saying something..?

have you tried covering your mic? it could be that your mic is really sensitive..try covering it with something when you record...like a sock or something( lol it's ghetto, but it worked with my old mic, :ph34r: )

or try noise reduction if you have it on your audio editing software...

Guest samshiku

Hi i sing 1st soprano in choir and i have a serious problem with singing my high notes when the note immediately before the note is one that is of a lower range..i know that's a common problem but any tips on making the high note richer and stronger? cos i'm really sick of feeling upset with myself when that happens lol... and how do you make your high notes richer? cos i can go up to high C even but its just sounds [i quote my bro] "very young", like a young choir girl only that i'm alr 19 this yr O_o i dunno whether i should smile or cry that i sound younger than my 15 yr-old sister...

Guest predator

dont stop. you're feeling the music. if you feel you need to sway or bop your head or snap or what have you, do it. don't change..unless it's getting in the way of your singing. ;)

that's what i tell my sister. it's not getting in the way of my singing. XD

when i sing for my sis, she just thinks it's annoying i guess. but i can't help lol (i even sway when i'm singing while sitting) TT_TT lol but it's good to feel the music

thanks for the help ^^;; :lol:

Guest bluepuppy0619

QUESTION

how do you sing from your diaphram and support your stomach? i'm so confused...

Guest JESSCHOI

i'm not sure if this was posted before, but whenever i try to record now, it records whatever song is playing AND my voice. i can't even hear my own recording because it automatically records the song over my voice, and it's so faint to even notice it's there. it used to not do this, but it does. not only on adobe audition, but also on goldwave and whatever other program.

how can i fix this? it just records everything! i just want it to play whatever the mic records and NOT the song playing on the computer itself with the recording.

Guest sikkony

i'm not sure if this was posted before, but whenever i try to record now, it records whatever song is playing AND my voice. i can't even hear my own recording because it automatically records the song over my voice, and it's so faint to even notice it's there. it used to not do this, but it does. not only on adobe audition, but also on goldwave and whatever other program.

how can i fix this? it just records everything! i just want it to play whatever the mic records and NOT the song playing on the computer itself with the recording.

What soundcard?

Guest JF21©

the mic is going to record whatever noise it is surrounded by. try moving away from you computer when u record and singing louder. if that doesn't work, turn down ur speakers when u play the back track. and make sure your mic volume is up.

also i you are using goldwave, after recording and it still sounds low, go to match volume. try the different presets to see if it helps.

or if nothing else, just use head phones when you record. that way the mic will only pic up your voice, but you still can sing over the beat. when your done just mix your voice with the instrumental.

*if using goldwave:

open both your recording and the instrumental

select and copy ur recording

click on the instrumental window, click the mix button in the task bar

choose where u want the mix to begin

save as...

Guest sikkony

the mic is going to record whatever noise it is surrounded by. try moving away from you computer when u record and singing louder. if that doesn't work, turn down ur speakers when u play the back track. and make sure your mic volume is up.

also i you are using goldwave, after recording and it still sounds low, go to match volume. try the different presets to see if it helps.

or if nothing else, just use head phones when you record. that way the mic will only pic up your voice, but you still can sing over the beat. when your done just mix your voice with the instrumental.

*if using goldwave:

open both your recording and the instrumental

select and copy ur recording

click on the instrumental window, click the mix button in the task bar

choose where u want the mix to begin

save as...

I think she just has internal loop problems (more like the function has been turned on) with her soundcard, and it can be fixed.

Start >> Control Panel >> Sounds and Audio Devices >> Click "Audio" tab >> Under "Sound Recording" frame, click [Volume] >> Under "Microphone" frame tick checkbox [x] >> Close all forms brought up (all the stuff you went through). (Note: Tick the checkbox [x] for the input you intend to use, ie, Microphone, or Line In, depending how your microphone (or input source) is connected to your computer.)

It must of been on WAVE before, which will internally loop your playback into input upon recording in a recording software.

Guest stardust123

i have a question, when i sing without recording and without an insturmental or anything (just my plain voice) i sound ok, but when i record is it normal to sound like crap? i sound babyish is that normal?

^ it's perfectly normal.

usually your voice turns out to sound different than what you think when you listen to a recording of yours

it's because you dont really listen to yourself sing

youre too busy thinking about what you're supposed to be singing. :P

but after a while of listening to your own recordings, you get used to it.

Guest Jane4ever

Whenever I sing it sounds like too much effort into it and it sounds strained.

How do I make it sound more natural?

Guest BlackTea

How can I develop a vibratto? How long will it take? Should I try forcing it?

VictorGalaxy: You can try to sing two adjacent notes and switch back and forth. Then, do it more quickly to reach a vibratto.

What does two adjacent notes mean?

Guest lovejoo

i dunno if im supposed to post here but yea

are there any female korean singers with a kinda deep voice liks hyori lee?

songs with notes 'don't love her'?

thxx ^^

Guest ginaaax3

i was wondering if you guys knew a way to make the mic quality better trhough goldwave? cuz somebody on soompi does know how to do it, and i was wondering the technique <3 hehehe. thanks