Singing Tips & Recording Questions

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if you breath from your diaphragm (area under rib cage) when you're singing it will help.

What's the best way to thicken vocals? Double, re-record or what? xD

I usually double and set it low with one at the left and one at the right =/

Guest dark intuitions

thicken in what way? People double vocals like how you do it, but i never really cbf...because i'm lazy like that.

Um...for backup vocals, you could use the chorus effect? That's how i did your part in Shining. ^^ It does give a much fuller sound

But I could be totally off the mark, ask the resident and newly returned audiophile.

Guest ultaeja

I have a question! Haha... O_O I know this question is asked many times, but how can you sing lower? Like, I've heard stuff like drop your jaw, sing with your diaghram(always) But I tried these and other tips for singing lower and sounding lower, but I still sound like a kid. Someone help please?

Have you ever sung scales? If you have, then you should be able to reach lower pitches. When you're singing scales, continue to go lower and lower and see if that helps your range. Pick songs that have a series of low notes in them and practice singing them. Even if you cannot reach the notes at the time, keep practicing and you'll be able to improve on your ability to sing them. All in all though, I think whatever technique you're trying to exhibit your voice in is making you sound like a kid, which is why going low seems like an empty task for you. Try singing differently and maybe that's all you actually need to do to reach lower notes. (I think these are pretty basic givens, but x:v)

Guest ultaeja

Have you ever sung scales? If you have, then you should be able to reach lower pitches. When you're singing scales, continue to go lower and lower and see if that helps your range. Pick songs that have a series of low notes in them and practice singing them. Even if you cannot reach the notes at the time, keep practicing and you'll be able to improve on your ability to sing them. All in all though, I think whatever technique you're trying to exhibit your voice in is making you sound like a kid, which is why going low seems like an empty task for you. Try singing differently and maybe that's all you actually need to do to reach lower notes. (I think these are pretty basic givens, but x:v)

Yes, I sing scales all the time and I can reach the lower pitches, but my voice still sounds high. I've been doing scales for a couple months now and my voice still sounds like a kid. -___-!! I try singing differently all the time but it still kINda... still sounds like a kid. But STARFORME, thanks!

Guest JungYunho<3

Does anybody know where I can download LAME? It's so I can export my recordings as MP3s.... If anyone does that'd be awesome if you can give it to me!! ^^ Thanks in advance!! ^^

Guest coffee beans

how do you harmonise with another singer? I don't know how.. like harmonise with the lead singer when performing truly madly deeply by savage garden.

Guest theLEGEND

First and foremost, I'm deeply sorry if I'm asking in the wrong section. Which software(s) do you guys recommend for removing vocals from a song? Thank you so much. :)

Guest aliks089

Ahahaha yeah Im having difficult with falsetto. I noticed there were different types of falsettos I guess?

It feels like the slow vibrato and quick ones are done by different techniques. Please verify?

Theres those quick oscillations and the slower ones. I noticed while listening to Fly to the Sky music, Hwanhee rarely uses those quicker ones (im not even sure if ive heard him use it) Always that slow controlled one. Brian rarely uses the slower vibrato but uses the quick one.

I picked up the slow one and I do it unconsciously with little to no effort but the quick ones... it seems i ahve to push them out of my stomach or throat (which doesnt feel right) depending on the sound. I noticed by myself using the quicker falsetto on accident when singing with a lot of projection, but I dont think singers do that.

Maybe there really arent two types and this is all in my head and that the speed on the vibrato is something you should be able to control?

Maybe im just stupid but im just spitting thoughts ive had about this and this vibrato issue is killing me lol.

Oh I was reading the older posts... girls most definately have falsettos that I know for sure.

Guest sikkony

Ahahaha yeah Im having difficult with falsetto. I noticed there were different types of falsettos I guess?

It feels like the slow vibrato and quick ones are done by different techniques. Please verify?

Theres those quick oscillations and the slower ones. I noticed while listening to Fly to the Sky music, Hwanhee rarely uses those quicker ones (im not even sure if ive heard him use it) Always that slow controlled one. Brian rarely uses the slower vibrato but uses the quick one.

I picked up the slow one and I do it unconsciously with little to no effort but the quick ones... it seems i ahve to push them out of my stomach or throat (which doesnt feel right) depending on the sound. I noticed by myself using the quicker falsetto on accident when singing with a lot of projection, but I dont think singers do that.

Maybe there really arent two types and this is all in my head and that the speed on the vibrato is something you should be able to control?

Maybe im just stupid but im just spitting thoughts ive had about this and this vibrato issue is killing me lol.

Oh I was reading the older posts... girls most definately have falsettos that I know for sure.

Vibrato all the same, soon your slower one should settle and speed up automatically.

Both gender have falsetto. Falsetto is really the body's natural defence mechanism over abusive vocal behaviour. Guys tend not to sing in it 'cos its "uncool" yo. Girls get away with it.

Guest aliks089

Vibrato all the same, soon your slower one should settle and speed up automatically.

Both gender have falsetto. Falsetto is really the body's natural defence mechanism over abusive vocal behaviour. Guys tend not to sing in it 'cos its "uncool" yo. Girls get away with it.

Lol Thanks sikkony for clearing that up. was a big help!

Guest UNINSPIRED.

This is my first time in this thread so, first of all, hello to everyone! :)

I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I've searched through a bunch of pages and I haven't found the answers I'm looking for.

I have a bit of a problem with my singing. Whenever I sing, I naturally use my head voice. I always get this airy, high sound. I want to work on developing a solid, strong, clear chest voice and be able to switch between chest voice and head voice when I want to. However, like I said before, I naturally use my head voice. I think it's mainly because my chest voice range is really small and I can't hit vibrattos at all. (My vibratto is fine in head voice, just not in chest voice.)

I know that I have to practice -- I've been practicing. The problem is, I've always had this problem with my chest voice. Before, I used to always sing in chest voice but, because I didn't know how to expand my range (I wanted to hit high notes), I began using my head voice more often.

Now I'm stuck. I can sing high (decently), low (not so well -- I'd appreciate tips on how to improve), and I can't hit most things in the alto-soprano area (my goal).

Wow, okay. I just reread my post and it seems a bit confusing. Basically, what I'm asking is:

1) Are there any specific things that I should practice to increase my chest voice range?

2) My chest voice is deeper than I'd life for it to be. If I increase my range, will I be able to sing in a higher chest voice? (I don't mean a very high chest voice. I just mean something higher than what I'm at now.) Will it feel natural?

I'd really appreciate any tips. <3

--Levina

EDIT.

Woops, another question: generally, do you guys record the entire song at once or do you record multiple times then cut the good bits and paste it together?

Guest CrashV

Alrite when i sing for a while and prac like my neck hella feels wierd. It doesnt hurt but during singing i pressure my neck alot so after if i push my neck i feel like barfing. -_- i need ur guys help

Guest JungYunho<3

Well.... When people say "USE YOUR DIAPHRAM" or "You're not breathing right." That's all they say but that doesn't really help... I was wondering... How DO you breathe correctly for singing? I know I sound stupid but I have been working on it for over a year now and I'm not getting and I'm getting kinda frustrated..... help anyone?

Guest JF21©

i have a question..lol how do you sing with feeling!? like even if you don't like the words you have to sing, how do you make it believable?? i know this is kinda an abstract and personal question (personal meaning its all up to the individual) but i mean, my VC told me on certain songs he doesn't believe me (when i sing) he said i hit all the right notes, and i sound nice and all, but my face gives me away...that i look like i'd rather be somewhere else....so my question to you guys is how do you all make your singing believable, even when you're singing a song that you really don't care fore. :unsure:

for example: my face is like this :mellow: when it should be like this :w00t: ...but i just can't ''fake the funk''.....but i know that i need to learn how...so..yeah, lol help?