Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest sikkony

this question has probably been asked BUT i am a NOOB to this whole recording thingy..

i was wondering wut u guys use to mix your audio clips? like..i wanted to do an acapella thing..and i have to haromonize and jsut sing..and then i have to mix it together...which program am i suppose to use(thats free)?

please i am in the desperate need ot help T_T

Try N-Studio, I think that is a free powerful mixing program. Not sure is that is the correct title, google it!

Guest snowbunny*

hello, i'm new to this thread, so if i'm asking a question that is already been ask... please don't yell at me :tears: .

my question is that how do singers get that vibration when they hit a note. i noticed that a couple years ago, when i was

watching or hearing people sing, there is some sort of vibration in their voices when they sing. i have been in choir for about

4-5 years now and i only hear about 15 people max that has that vibration in their voices. i think that it is amazing, and would like

to know how it just happens or how they do it.

Guest estherrx3

Hi, I`m new here. I basically just flipped through a few pages. And I have a question.

I downloaded two free programs called Goldwave and Freeware. (I think that`s what they`re called.)

I went through their help section but it`s not helping at all. I kinda understand how to record and stuff but there are three choices for recording. Like, microphone, something-line, and something else. And whenever I try to record myself, it wont work. I`m not sure if I`m making any sense right now cause I`m typing this up real quick cause I have to go but if I`ll come back tomorrow or sometime this week to edit this comment so it makes sense. -___- But if you understand what I`m saying please help! And also I am wondering how I can combine my singing with an instrumental. Sorry if that`s already been asked and answered but like I said I really have to go now. -___- and will come back later to fix this question/comment thing up.

Guest sikkony

hello, i'm new to this thread, so if i'm asking a question that is already been ask... please don't yell at me :tears: .

my question is that how do singers get that vibration when they hit a note. i noticed that a couple years ago, when i was

watching or hearing people sing, there is some sort of vibration in their voices when they sing. i have been in choir for about

4-5 years now and i only hear about 15 people max that has that vibration in their voices. i think that it is amazing, and would like

to know how it just happens or how they do it.

There are multiple ways a vibatro (the thing you call, vibration, which is the name created by the technique, vibrato) can be created. It can definitely occur NATURALLY and this only happens when your voice is definitely in balance. Other than that, most of the time. I think singers tend to have a problem with finding their vibrato, both NATURALLY or by using more natural methods (natural methods in my terms means to not interfere with other aspects of the vocal which - ie, not using unnecessary muscles when singing - be it the top lip, swallowing muscles etc).

I personally run by this rule, if it ain't going to happen, make it happen :D

Natural vibratos can usually be hard to allow it to come out. Under pressure etc, or when you are purposely wanting it to occur, it cannot be found etc. Annoying (at least to me).

So anyways, you're thinking blah blah get to the point so lets get to the point. A vibrato can also be generated. A vibrato is defined as a change in pitch (and also volume but you shouldn't concentrate on this factor in my opinion). Just worry about the pitch. Because if you can get the pitch changing properly, the volume can be controlled and applied appropriately.

Start off on a nice comfortable note within your comfort zone. Hold it out. Now apply a pitch bump (upwards in my opinion is better when starting off with this vibrato training). So knock the pitch up for a split second and back down again. Try to do 3 of this (called oscillations in vocal terms) in a second (probably the most you can get out). Keep doing it for ages, I mean whenever you sing a song for fun, just do it, it will sound silly because it's so slow but who cares :D . After a while, it will start to pick up as your muscles seem to obtain memory of how you control your pitch in such a way, and you should be able to do 4 oscillations in a second. Soon 5, then 6. This takes time of course, I've looked back on the years that I've had vibrato on, I think definitely from memory it takes 3 months give and take. Some longer some shorter, but not something you will see in 2 nights. Maybe 2 weeks, you will start to feel natural.

RULES: These rules apply globally to vocal singing, not just vibratos, but I do believe improper generating of vibratos cause this as depicted by famous known singers,

1) Never lock your jaw. Your jaw shouldn't go up and down in relation to each oscillation of your vibrato.

2) Your larynx (adam apple - the little bump you have if you run your finger from your chin downwards to your neck - the outer protecting/structure for your vocal folds (also called/referred to as cords, chords)) shouldn't move due to vibratos.

Once you get this under way I think you should be able to find out how to do the volume bit yourself. If not, post back in a few months :P or PM me and I'll try to fill in the volume bit.

This question is asked quite often, so I think finally being able to cover it (I never took the effort), this might answer some of those who always been in the dark with this topic :D .

EDIT: I forgot to add, knowledgable vocal teachers say the oscillations should only be around 5 - 6 per second. Not any more, not any less.

Guest banggutbanggut3

I have a question.

Well, I'm going to download Audacity, but when I tried recording myself with a sound recorder on my desktop, it didn't work.....I'm positive that they work since when I listen to my headset, music comes out...and I'm pretty sure the mic works....so, my headset probably works, right?

One more Q.

Audacity is free, right? Because I want to make sure I'm doing legal stuff.....>_<

On Audactity, do I download "LAME MP3 encoder"? Or do I just download the program?

Guest ` k s

So about a week ago I was doing some singing and went way too crazy and kinda killed my voice. I've done this before but nothing happened. However, for the past week whenever I try to sing, whenever I go up to the higher notes, I can feel the left side of the back of my mouth tightening up. I can't really describe where it is but it feels like it's the left tonsil or the area around it. It's not my vocal cords but rather somewhere in the back of my mouth. I've been drinking alot of honey tea w/ lemon but haven't seen a big improvement. Any suggestions? I have a performance next Saturday so I REALLLLY need to get my this fixed.

Guest dancesakura

is it bad to like...move ur mouth or wateva when u do ur vibrato or wateva?? >.<;; n i really need to improve(??) my vibrato.. i think it sucks..:(

Guest Hitorijime

is it bad to like...move ur mouth or wateva when u do ur vibrato or wateva?? >.<;; n i really need to improve(??) my vibrato.. i think it sucks..:(

That depends. If you're moving because it's natural, then that's fine. But if you feel like you're forcing yourself to do vibratto (by moving your mouth), then it's not that great of an idea.

Guest angelbride

How do I strengthen my head voice? It sounds really puny.>_>...And i really want to make it more powerful.

to give yourself more power in your head voice, make sure you open up your mouth.

all the way to the soft pallet. [did i spell that rite??]

use your diaphragm when you breathe in.

you should be able to feel it fill up and stretch.

i hope this makes sense.

So about a week ago I was doing some singing and went way too crazy and kinda killed my voice. I've done this before but nothing happened. However, for the past week whenever I try to sing, whenever I go up to the higher notes, I can feel the left side of the back of my mouth tightening up. I can't really describe where it is but it feels like it's the left tonsil or the area around it. It's not my vocal cords but rather somewhere in the back of my mouth. I've been drinking alot of honey tea w/ lemon but haven't seen a big improvement. Any suggestions? I have a performance next Saturday so I REALLLLY need to get my this fixed.

a big thing is to relax. just breathe in and out, and figure out where the air goes.

let your singing come out more naturally.

don't try to sing too too much. especially high notes/areas. sing those an octave lower

if you absolutely have to practice it.

give it a few days. i know what you mean about the pressure,

but you need to relax. a lot. your throat can get tightened up because of your anxiety.

you shouldn't need to move your mouth or face when you vibrato.

it should come naturally. it's really mind over matter.

since you can't see how your voice works, it's a lot about imagining things.

try practicing single notes that are in your comfort zone.

hold them out, and just think about how a vibrato should sound.

do not put your throat on the line, though! it's a common big mistake people make.

Guest eloretardo

How exactly are you supposed to be singing using your diaphragm? I thought it was simply singing by flexing your abs... I've been singing like that and it does give me more power than simply singing without doing it, but my friend told me I wasn't doing it correctly, but didn't really know how to tell me the way to do it. So I'm kind of confused... I've tried doing other things... like somehow flexing different parts of my stomach muscles... lol but it still doesn't really feel right.

Guest dancesakura

That depends. If you're moving because it's natural, then that's fine. But if you feel like you're forcing yourself to do vibratto (by moving your mouth), then it's not that great of an idea.

ahh i see.. i actually never noticed my mouth moves when i vibrato..until like..recently.. ive heard about not forcing ur vibrato..but i dun think i force it..? dere r times wen i think i do tho..>.<;;

you shouldn't need to move your mouth or face when you vibrato.

it should come naturally. it's really mind over matter.

since you can't see how your voice works, it's a lot about imagining things.

try practicing single notes that are in your comfort zone.

hold them out, and just think about how a vibrato should sound.

do not put your throat on the line, though! it's a common big mistake people make.

i see!! i should try practicin single notes den.. thank u for tellin me..^o^

thank u two for answerin my question!! <3

Guest xiaochingu.

hii!

im new to this this thread...and i was wondering where to get recording tools

like if i wanted to record from my computer what should i use?

im sorry if i shouldnt be asking this becuase i noticed everyone is talking about the mixing program and singing techiniques

i really need help so thanx?

Guest angelbride

How exactly are you supposed to be singing using your diaphragm? I thought it was simply singing by flexing your abs... I've been singing like that and it does give me more power than simply singing without doing it, but my friend told me I wasn't doing it correctly, but didn't really know how to tell me the way to do it. So I'm kind of confused... I've tried doing other things... like somehow flexing different parts of my stomach muscles... lol but it still doesn't really feel right.

it can feel like you're flexing your abs when you are holding your breath.

basically 'using your diaphragm' just means taking in a lot of air.

you should be able to feel it fill all the way down to between your hips.

like, pretend your body's a bag that has limbs and a head.

when you breathe in, the ENTIRE bag should fill up and poof outwards.

use that air. your diaphragm is the muscle that then controls that air.

let me know how this goes. it takes a lot of practice, and you should feel like

you did a little ab work out.

Guest ginaaax3

i'm planning to get a good mic.

how much are a good mic usually?

i mean something not too expensive,

cuz i'm planning to get it with my money,

because i dobut my parents would buy me a mic.

Guest dongbangshinki

Erm..so sorry for bothering.. I just wanna ask.. anyone know any program that can separate the mp3 into music and song?? I just want the music.. i don't want the singing part.. any program that can separate it?? or where can i download the program?? thanks!! ^^

Guest angelbride

ok, so i have NO idea how to record...

how do i do it by karaoke?

how do i know if my computer can record stuff? [i have a mac]

basically..i need starter's help. ^^;; T-T

any advice/instructions are very appreciated!!! ^^