Singing Tips & Recording Questions

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if you breath from your diaphragm (area under rib cage) when you're singing it will help.

Guest ` k s

For my previous "A Moment Like This" question, let's say I pratcice it for about 50 minutes a day, and as childish as I sound, my dad is really good at singing, he said, that he was asked to make an album but he couldn't because of his work, and he was pretty old too when they asked. Well not THAT old but not YOUNG YOUNG either. My mom on the other hand is just okay...at singing. And for me, I can pretty much hit all the notes in a Moment Like This, except the ending parts, I have to use head voice. I want to be able to hit those notes WITHOUT head voice so anytips? And for the previous poster, how long did you pratcice to up your octave a bit? Thanks

Well I took lessons for a few months and upped my range a step and a half. Before I didn't know how to use head voice/sing in my mask. My teacher had me do scales over and over with a "O" sound. I'm not an expert at technique so someone else should probably answer your question about head voice.

Guest ultaeja

I have a question!

How do you get rid of singing through your nose when you sing? LIke when I sing, I don't sound plugged up, but when I sing, well, for example like if I sing 'man' or 'no', I sound plugged up. How do you get rid of that?

Guest cindy-yang

question

i was wondering on how to improve your range. I'm an alto and its hard for me to reach the high notes.

and how to improve on your head voice. like make it sound more powerful. when I'm in my head voice i kinda sound like a kid x_x

and how to find your middle voice

thank you

Guest ginaaax3

^ I read to imrpove your range, you should try singing songs that are a BIT hard for you, not like extremely hard for you, because then you'll just ruin your vocal chords. So with the "a bit hard" song, just try singing until you can reach the note. If you can't reach a certain note, just sing that note alone until you reached it a few times then try to reach that note while making it flow wiht the pervious notes. Get what I mean? Then you should graudually imrpove. I did that, and now, I can hit all the notes in Y by Zhang Li Yin, before I was having some trouble with the ending bridge, or wahtever you should call it. Or try the scales with your Piano if you have one =]

Guest yooniceland

well... i have a question...

i was screaming yesterday... like really really horror movie screaming....

and today, i tried to sing, but nothing good would come out. could that have damaged it permanetly or will it recover??? im getting worried...

Guest mikez

you cant permenantly damage your vocal cord from horror movie screamings loler

thay would be so funny. that would only happen if you scream like that intensely for 3 days straight maybe. just give your throat some rest, sometimes after i record i cant talk for up to 12 hours, so it happens -.-

Guest yooniceland

you cant permenantly damage your vocal cord from horror movie screamings loler

thay would be so funny. that would only happen if you scream like that intensely for 3 days straight maybe. just give your throat some rest, sometimes after i record i cant talk for up to 12 hours, so it happens -.-

omg thank you! i was really worried that i'm going to be one of those people who wants to become a singer and then loses their voice forever... you know that tragic stuff. yes. i am VERY dramatic, my friends have told me so very often... now im going off subject. Anyways, thanks! i feel so much better now.

Guest nanshi

How do you sound better during the change of head voice to chest voice or vice versa? TT_TT

Use your mixed voice! That's the part where you sound horrific (and shaky and cracky and weak, etc) between your head and your chest voice.

That's what I'm trying to do. Sorta. Considering the fact that I'm sick and have been out of commission for about a week...!

Anyways, I have a more technical question:

What microphones does everyone use to record? Which ones give a more pristine recorded sound? Whenever I record, it sounds like I'm recording into a telephone...

Guest yooniceland

You know when some singers do that 'growl' sort of?? It comes out before the actual note... I'm not sure if it makes sense or not... but how do you do it?? I have a feeling that i shouldn't do it unless supervised by an instructor.....

Guest K-Free

what are some daily things i can do to help myself just to stay on one note? i find myself having trouble finding what note to sing and failing to control my voice...

Guest ~*cassiopeia*~

i don't know if i should post my question here or not, but i have a couple of questions:

When did you guys start singing? i mean, i'm 14 now and is it too late to start learning to sing and to learn piano? like taking a music course?

cuz many ppl start since they were young...

and i was wondering where should i start??

how much does it cost per hour? (refering to the rate in US)

thanks... i hope i didn't post on the wrong section... if i did, i'm sorry.

Guest BlackTea

~*cassiopeia*~: In terms of lessons and such, I started going to chorus during elementary school. Personally, I don't think it's ever too late to learn anything. But it's going to be harder for you. And most courses are usually by age, so I'm not sure if they'll take someone who's fourteen [but I think a private tutor will]. I'm stumped at prices, I'm sorry. :/ Good luck with everything though!

My question:

If you sing, and your voice feels raspy [as in you can feel it, but the sound of it being raspy isn't heard] does that mean your voice is damaged?

And if you've damaged your voice, does that mean you won't be able to sing at all?

I don't think it's literally damaged--you just need to let your throat heal. Ease off with singing and practicing so that your body can get better. After that you'll be all ready to have a go. (:

If it's really bad, I suggest going to a doctor/getting professional advice.

Guest ~*cassiopeia*~

~*cassiopeia*~: In terms of lessons and such, I started going to chorus during elementary school. Personally, I don't think it's ever too late to learn anything. But it's going to be harder for you. And most courses are usually by age, so I'm not sure if they'll take someone who's fourteen [but I think a private tutor will]. I'm stumped at prices, I'm sorry. :/ Good luck with everything though!

My question:

If you sing, and your voice feels raspy [as in you can feel it, but the sound of it being raspy isn't heard] does that mean your voice is damaged?

And if you've damaged your voice, does that mean you won't be able to sing at all?

thanks for your comments :). hmm.. raspy, i don't really know...like, what do you mean??

if you have any question, then pm would be good :)

Guest Christie

First off, i would like to say that what "know" is all based on things i've read and understand, and i'm not always right. So, please forgive me if i give wrong info. shall i start? haha

they are many people who cant hit high notes naturally, but with practice you will be able to. there are also people who have natural high voices. I guess you can take boa for example but maybe its also because she has a lot of training, which enable her to be able to sing "high" comfortable or maybe thats her natural range. Natural range is the range you are born with. You can always have more "range", but without practice you wont be able to achieve it. Think of your vocal cords like muscles, you need to take it slow and train it so that you will be able to go higher (like lifting weights). Your throat is hurting is because your using your throat to sing which is very unhealthy.

You have to understand how the voice works (vocal cords, diaphram, etc) to be able to understand how to use them. do i make sense? :x sorry if i dont. take for example the vocal cord like a unhealthy muscle that we havent used often. that is why people have to practice year(s) to get a good sound because you have to train the vocal cords, with good practices everyday so it gets healthy and produce a good sound.

so you have to relax and take it slowly, well not literally, but you have to make sure you do warmups before you sing and dont push your self farther then you can. if your voice starts to hurt then you know that your doing something wrong, not always but most of the time. also drink alot of water 1-2hours before you sing. It takes about 2 hours for the water to get into your system and reach your vocal cords.

From what your saying, I'm guessing your not doing enough warmups or your not singing right(breathing,etc) because your throat shouldnt be sore from singing. And if you are, you might not be using the right "technique" to reach high notes. I dont really have much information on that part. That is why vocal coaches are recommended. They can help you more then i can.

My advice for you is, download that SLS cds around here somewhere and use them to warm up. Breathe from your stomache and when you sing, imagine the words(/notes) riding on the waves of your breath when you breathe out. You know like those little kids shows where it looks like musical notes on waves? haha yeah like that! As for singing higher you would have to practice scales, but i'm not sure. I know for me, I do scales and I can honestly say that I reached 1-2 notes that I couldnt reach before(2 months ago). Singing stronger, I'm not sure aobut this. I always thought it was on your natural voice but I have no idea. sorry :(

Wow that was long eh? probably not even all of what i wanted to say but I hope you got the idea and what i tried to say. I hope this part has help you and many other people who might of had the same questions. and sorry if it seems as if things sounds repetitive, i seem to do that when i write. now onto the next part...

lets "sigh" together. haha

Its true, but you have 3 different "voices". Its all explained in EternallyFallen posts. You usually never sing with your throat because it'll end up hurting.

Here try this excersice: First, place your tongue behind the lower teeths, take a deep breathe in with your stomache, and breathe out holding out a hum also put one hand on ur chest.

If you are doing it right, you should feel the vibration in your chest, behind your upper/lower teeth, and lips. Your lips might tickle a little but that just means your doing it right. And from my understanding, what you feel on your chest is your "chest voice".

I might be wrong, but thats what I always thought it was. haha :crazy:

Most of the time you should sing with your comfortable range but if you want to try something different make sure that its not too out of your range. also make sure you had a good warmup before you try anything too much for your voice. From what you've said, I suggest that you get a vocal coach. The way you want to sing isn't impossible to achieve your self, but it will be very hard. You need to get a vocal coach to guide you and make sure your not doing anything wrong. Also teach you the right techniques.

From my experiences:

I'm still new to all this singing stuff, but I was really new 2 months ago. I couldnt reach certain notes and even if I could I would put a lot of stress on my throat and jaw which isnt good, but after doing some SLS excersice and a month or so I started to understand my voice more and figured out what I was doing wrong. If you just started singing, I think the first months or so is all about understanding your voice, and learning more about the voice. Like breathing, how it feels when you put stress on your jaws and the throat muscles when you sing higher, etc. I think thats all I have to say for now, my mind wondering off thru out this whole post so sorry if things doesnt make sense.

Was just wondering where the sls-downloads are? I can't seem to find them :tears: