Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest neatyxtorn

Hello Imma a new person learning how to sing

I heard some of these tips are true

Question :If you eat lemon you voice get stronger?

Question: If you sing infront of a candle and it doesn't turn off means you are signing right

is it true or not x /

With the candle, it can relate to having to hold a tissue just infront of your mouth. I don't know much about the lemon one o_o But hey- I should try that, rofl. I've never heard about it having to strengthen your voice.

(:

Guest CtlunatC

anybody got any tips of how to control a powerful voice??? cause i have a very strong and powerful voice and its very deep. i have a very difficult time controlling it when it comes to singing. belting and dragging notes on are no problem, just like... iono lol but i have very little control. like when i try to sing to Yui songs.... soo difficult cause her voice is much higher than mine >.< lol

Guest dark intuitions

^Yui has crazy control, as well as an amazing range. To sing one of her songs, I think more powerful singers either need to back down a bit (because she sounds so young) or make the song into their own style. You say your voice is deep though--i wouldn't be surprised if her songs are too high for you? In which case, you can a) change the key (kinda lame) B) improve your range c) choose a different song. With control...back off the power and work on getting the notes exactly right before you turn the power back up again.

SarangJihoonOppa:

Lemon, i don't know, sounds like a rather unpleasant way to help your throat. Candle...my choir teacher used to tell us the exact same thing. I think the point is you control how much breath you are letting out so that the flame doesn't wildly flicker (and you have enough breath for a phrase and don't gasp in the middle of it).

bishie_bashie:

Practice.

Nuchee:

A deeper tone...do you mean a more mature tone, or a greater range? Mature tone, i wouldn't know. I hear you can completely wreck your throat to get a husky tone, but that sorta defeats the purpose. Correct support might help. Greater range, do scales going down (do ti la so fa me re do). ^^ I wouldn't really know, I'm practically in tenor range anyway! Anyway, doing the same thing over and over again helps you to get better at it, but takes a long time. Be patient, young grasshopper ;).

Guest BlackTea

Hi there. ^__^

I was looking through this thread, and people were giving some good advice about singing and such, but there are some things I don't understand. [if my question has been asked before, I'm sorry if I repeated them. And I'll probably sound like an idiot for asking some of these questions. I'm sorry >__<]

What are good vocal exercises to do in general before singing?

How do explain 'range?'

Does plugging one ear to hear yourself sing in the other work? Like when your examining your voice to hear if you're on pitch and such. Or is it unneeded?

How can a person improve on hitting the right note when singing? Should I just keep listening and adjusting or is it something that comes naturally to some people?

When is singing considered 'pitchy?'

Thank you in advance to whoever answers these questions!

Guest banggutbanggut3

I have a question:

How do you record songs on to your computer? I don't get soundclick at all...I'm not good with this computer stuff...

For singing:

How do you know if you sound nasally and stuff?

How do you sing from your stomach? (I think I'm doing it but I'm not sure)

I'm not desperate or anything but please help...

I like dancing more than singing, but you can't be a star by just dancing, so I'm aiming at being a singer and then a fantastic dancer....not the the greatest dancer. Since I have taken Jazz, Ballet, Tap for several years, but right now I'm taking Hip-Hop, so yeah... :D

Guest amazingdude1

Not sure if this was mentioned, but there is Nyquist plug in for Audacity called "hyperexp"

You can go here and search for hyperexp.

you just download hyperexp.ny file and put it to plug-ins directory. not sure about windows but on *nix, it's usually /usr/share/audacity/plug-ins.

relaunch audacity. record your voice far away from your mic. recording level should be really low (you just see a flat line..with occasional thicker line).

apply the effect. and enjoy.

problem with tight micing is that it's difficult to control vocal pops on consonants unless you have a good mic and dynamic control effects.

well, those are expensive and i only have $.01 mic that came with dell pc. and hyperexp works for me.

Okay so I'm going through Brett Manning's Singing Success and he always says not to push for the notes but I can always feel myself pushing for the higher notes. What exactly should I try to do instead? I bring the sound to my 'mask' or nasal area but it gets strained and then I pass out. I can hit notes with my nasal area like in Brown Eyes' Already One Year.. "I BELIEeeeVE IN YOU. I BELIeeeEVE IN YOUR EYES." although at a lower key but when I get to higher notes it's just pressure all the way baby! Helpooo me!

Guest bishie_bashie

Okay so I'm going through Brett Manning's Singing Success and he always says not to push for the notes but I can always feel myself pushing for the higher notes. What exactly should I try to do instead? I bring the sound to my 'mask' or nasal area but it gets strained and then I pass out. I can hit notes with my nasal area like in Brown Eyes' Already One Year.. "I BELIEeeeVE IN YOU. I BELIeeeEVE IN YOUR EYES." although at a lower key but when I get to higher notes it's just pressure all the way baby! Helpooo me!

When he says, not to push for the high notes, it basically mean sing with the range you're most comfortable with. Doesn't he say that sometimes? XD When you can't reach it, don't worry, try again. Practise till you get it. Dont force it the first time through. You'll get it eventually with practise. ^^

And the exercises in CD3 should help you with the basics. It did help me. =]

Hey, I'm all new to the performing scene and I don't really have the equipment for this. I'm just wondering, what microphone brand/model would provide a sound quality ranging from decent to great and what accessories for the mic would I need to connect to my computer. Price range would be great also (AUS currency, since I happen to come from Australia).

Haha, I hope to start posting soon. Hopefully I can find a store near me though.

Anyways, thanks. :sweatingbullets:

When he says, not to push for the high notes, it basically mean sing with the range you're most comfortable with. Doesn't he say that sometimes? XD When you can't reach it, don't worry, try again. Practise till you get it. Dont force it the first time through. You'll get it eventually with practise. ^^

And the exercises in CD3 should help you with the basics. It did help me. =]

Yeah, I understand that you should stay within your range but shouldn't I at least try to hit the notes right outside my range? If I keep within my range without figuring out how to go higher I doubt I'd improve. I guess it's like exercising where you can't keep bench pressing the same weight over and over and eventually you gotta start adding weight little by little. MEHhh :[. And I noticed I actually lost like 1/4 of a step in my range over the past few weeks. ARgh.

Guest bishie_bashie

Yeah, I understand that you should stay within your range but shouldn't I at least try to hit the notes right outside my range? If I keep within my range without figuring out how to go higher I doubt I'd improve. I guess it's like exercising where you can't keep bench pressing the same weight over and over and eventually you gotta start adding weight little by little. MEHhh :[. And I noticed I actually lost like 1/4 of a step in my range over the past few weeks. ARgh.

ah. For me, i'm still on CD3. In fact, I bounced back to CD3 to get it right first. I guess its the way you sing (like after doing the bbbbrrr.. thingy) I'm not sure, but I gained some notes from it. =]

For me, I practise a track for multiple times. XD Going higher one step at a time. agh. I dont know how to explain.

Guest yooniceland

QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

Sorry i made it so big, but i'm desperate to know how to mix instrumentals with the recordings. I use goldwave by the way. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE answer this. I know that there are experienced singers here. I'm going to keep asking until i get a reply. You think i'm kidding? watch me.

sorry that i'm so demanding, but i've noticed on other pages that questions regarding mixing doesn't get a reply.

Question question question!!

I but this has been answered before but too lazy to look back 50 pages. When I open a song onto Audacity and record over that, my singing is slower than the song. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Guest ginaaax3

I just have a quck question, well how many ocatves do you think a Moment Like This is by Kelly clarkson? And how many octaves do you think you can get within 2 months? like how much more of your octave can you improve by pratcicing that song for 2 months? thanks

Guest ` k s

I just have a quck question, well how many ocatves do you think a Moment Like This is by Kelly clarkson? And how many octaves do you think you can get within 2 months? like how much more of your octave can you improve by pratcicing that song for 2 months? thanks

depends on how much/well youpractice and genetics? some people can probably improve leaps and bounds with practice while others take longer. i'm one of the latter.. lower range and slow improvement.. but when i took lessons i gained about a step and a half.. from G --> Am

Guest ginaaax3

For my previous "A Moment Like This" question, let's say I pratcice it for about 50 minutes a day, and as childish as I sound, my dad is really good at singing, he said, that he was asked to make an album but he couldn't because of his work, and he was pretty old too when they asked. Well not THAT old but not YOUNG YOUNG either. My mom on the other hand is just okay...at singing. And for me, I can pretty much hit all the notes in a Moment Like This, except the ending parts, I have to use head voice. I want to be able to hit those notes WITHOUT head voice so anytips? And for the previous poster, how long did you pratcice to up your octave a bit? Thanks