Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

I'm using the trial version of GoldWave, so I probably won't be able to continue recording once the trial ends.

Can you please recommend me a good non-trial recording program? ^^;

can anyone recommend a good dance studio in NY. preferably, ones that you've actually went to and not just heard about. i'm very interested in starting dance classes, but i can't seem to find the time...i'm gonna make some time when i actually find a good place

I use Adobe Audition to record/mix my songs. Usually when you record a song, it's not supposed to record a song, only your voice in one of the bars right? Because it's been recording the song even though IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO while I'm singing so the main thing you hear is the song, not my voice. I just got a headset microphone, but I know it's not the problem since I tried it before with a separate pair of headphones and microphone and it still recorded the music that I was playing while my voice was faded in the background~ All in all, I need help fixing this o_o if anyone understands what I'm trying to say in the first place.. lol

I have a really good chest voice, but i can't seem to let my voice out all the way... what should I do?

Also, I can go really high, but I need help getting into my head voice. How do I develope my head voice so I won't have a hard time hitting high notes?

I haven't have any professional training. bleh. lol.

Oh, I don't have a microphone so I can't record myself or anything. What's a good way(cheap way) to record myself. Should I just buy a microphone and connect it to my computer?

<33

Guest clinkid

lol, am new here so I dun really have much time to go through all 42 pages since it's christmas and all, kinda busy. But since I go for vocal classes, I've got a few tips for singing, not sure whether you guys heard of it before or whether it's already posted up here or not.

A few moments before you start singing (5-10 minutes), it's best that you do not eat or drink, it will sort of change your voice range...not spoiling your voice or throat but your voice will just come out different, and it isn't your nice voice. Secondly, try not to eat too much logzense (i dunno how to spell it)...For those who doesn't know what it means, it's strepsils, or fisherman friends, even the oral B thing. Those can really spoil your voice range if you eat it very often. Sweets, mints are okay, but too much lozense will spoil your throat in ways. :lol: Well have fun singing n recording ^^.

Guest clinkid

I have a really good chest voice, but i can't seem to let my voice out all the way... what should I do?

Also, I can go really high, but I need help getting into my head voice. How do I develope my head voice so I won't have a hard time hitting high notes?

Oh, I don't have a microphone so I can't record myself or anything. What's a good way(cheap way) to record myself. Should I just buy a microphone and connect it to my computer?

<33

For your voice, it takes time to practice to let it all out, dun give up. For the high notes and head voice thing, I got that by singing from low key slwoly to the higher keys with the piano's help a few times before you start singing the songs. I don't know about other problems but the problem that I come across that made me had a hard time hitting high notes last time was because I didn't sing it all out...erm, as in...didn't sing it out loud. Then my teacher made me open my mouth bigger to sing louder and after a few times practicing, I could hit high notes without much problem. You can try that. Since I'm just a beginner in vocal training I'm not even close to being professional at all, hehe ^^. And about the recording thing I'm not sure too, I would love to try recording my voice. But a few times I went to karokes and all, my voice sounds very different when I sing through the mic. Is this because of my voice or the mic?

Guest dark intuitions

I'm using the trial version of GoldWave, so I probably won't be able to continue recording once the trial ends.

Can you please recommend me a good non-trial recording program? ^^;

Try Audacity, it seems to be useable, but I don't have much experience in it. "good" and "non-trial" don't seem to come in the same sentence as "legally obtainable" and "free" nowadays.

I use Adobe Audition to record/mix my songs. Usually when you record a song, it's not supposed to record a song, only your voice in one of the bars right? Because it's been recording the song even though IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO while I'm singing so the main thing you hear is the song, not my voice. I just got a headset microphone, but I know it's not the problem since I tried it before with a separate pair of headphones and microphone and it still recorded the music that I was playing while my voice was faded in the background~ All in all, I need help fixing this o_o if anyone understands what I'm trying to say in the first place.. lol

Umm...lemme open audition and do it properly:

Options> Windows Recording Mixer> Select your microphone instead of stereo mix

<33

Buy a cheap desktop mic. And get a decent program to record with--Goldwave and Audition are the "big" names amongst us non professional people--but they are only for trial

lol, am new here so I dun really have much time to go through all 42 pages since it's christmas and all, kinda busy. But since I go for vocal classes, I've got a few tips for singing, not sure whether you guys heard of it before or whether it's already posted up here or not.

A few moments before you start singing (5-10 minutes), it's best that you do not eat or drink, it will sort of change your voice range...not spoiling your voice or throat but your voice will just come out different, and it isn't your nice voice. Secondly, try not to eat too much logzense (i dunno how to spell it)...For those who doesn't know what it means, it's strepsils, or fisherman friends, even the oral B thing. Those can really spoil your voice range if you eat it very often. Sweets, mints are okay, but too much lozense will spoil your throat in ways. :lol: Well have fun singing n recording ^^.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind--should definitely not drink or eat dairy though, i know that :) And honey and lemon and warm/hot water is good for you.

Sorry, I've been lazy for a while, but I hope that I could answer a few questions. :)

For your voice, it takes time to practice to let it all out, dun give up. For the high notes and head voice thing, I got that by singing from low key slwoly to the higher keys with the piano's help a few times before you start singing the songs. I don't know about other problems but the problem that I come across that made me had a hard time hitting high notes last time was because I didn't sing it all out...erm, as in...didn't sing it out loud. Then my teacher made me open my mouth bigger to sing louder and after a few times practicing, I could hit high notes without much problem. You can try that. Since I'm just a beginner in vocal training I'm not even close to being professional at all, hehe ^^. And about the recording thing I'm not sure too, I would love to try recording my voice. But a few times I went to karokes and all, my voice sounds very different when I sing through the mic. Is this because of my voice or the mic?

ahh thanks so much.

im going to try all those things. lol.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! even though you arent professional, thanks for helping me. im sure they'll work.

:D

i have a question..

ok, you know when you wanna go high right..you have to like..do something to your throat or something like that. like prolly some people hold their head up or idk..whatever you guys to do go high..:lol:

but for me..i try to go high normally..but it sounds like i'm using my nose at times.

whenever i sing, i sometimes use my nose..you guys know what i mean right?

like..i hold something tight inside or something..idk, it's really weird.

i just cant go high like..normally. i always get the feeling that i'm using my nose ><

can someone please help me? ><

Guest JeWeLz x3

k i dunno if this question's been answered but i dunt wanna go back through all the pages. i already went through like 8 lol.

but like where can you buy a decent mic?

all I have is a headset thing..but i want a better mic.

can someone help me out please?

u can buy mics same place as where u get all your household (or is that housewhole?) appliance duh lol

best buy? radio shack? circuit city? lol

only buy mics online when they arent available for sale, or the uber expensive condensor ones

if youre looking for dynamic mics aka karaoke type mics, then any would be good, like 30 bucks or so. unless u want it good then get the name brand audio technica, shure etc ones that are like 80 bucks. then for even better mics the condensors are like over a 100 plus you need to get a preamp to power it, or a mixer with a built in amp, and mic stands with shock rings to minimize virbration since the mics are getting real sensitive etv

u can buy mics same place as where u get all your household (or is that housewhole?) appliance duh lol

best buy? radio shack? circuit city? lol

only buy mics online when they arent available for sale, or the uber expensive condensor ones

if youre looking for dynamic mics aka karaoke type mics, then any would be good, like 30 bucks or so. unless u want it good then get the name brand audio technica, shure etc ones that are like 80 bucks. then for even better mics the condensors are like over a 100 plus you need to get a preamp to power it, or a mixer with a built in amp, and mic stands with shock rings to minimize virbration since the mics are getting real sensitive etv

ahhh thanks so much! okay so i should order a mic off of like best buy or something? and then i can hook it up to my comp and use it?

Guest dark intuitions

i have a question..

ok, you know when you wanna go high right..you have to like..do something to your throat or something like that. like prolly some people hold their head up or idk..whatever you guys to do go high..:lol:

but for me..i try to go high normally..but it sounds like i'm using my nose at times.

whenever i sing, i sometimes use my nose..you guys know what i mean right?

like..i hold something tight inside or something..idk, it's really weird.

i just cant go high like..normally. i always get the feeling that i'm using my nose ><

can someone please help me? ><

I believe what most people try to do is blend head and chest voice, so that it's less pronounced. Correct breathing and support should also help out. And when you sing, don't hold your head up, keep it so that you are looking out to the horizon, cos you don't want to be tense around there.

hey guys I have a question about my head voice...

why is my head voice so much softer than my chest voice? It's a really big difference too...

Because it's your head voice :) Although some people find as they get higher, you tend to belt the notes out more (it's hard for me to sing past high C softly for example, i either don't sing it or I sing it loud :D). I suppose once again, it's a matter of singing correctly with support, you generally are able to project more.

Mikez, perhaps you should clarify on how to connect microphone to computer? :)

I believe what most people try to do is blend head and chest voice, so that it's less pronounced. Correct breathing and support should also help out. And when you sing, don't hold your head up, keep it so that you are looking out to the horizon, cos you don't want to be tense around there.

Because it's your head voice :) Although some people find as they get higher, you tend to belt the notes out more (it's hard for me to sing past high C softly for example, i either don't sing it or I sing it loud :D). I suppose once again, it's a matter of singing correctly with support, you generally are able to project more.

Mikez, perhaps you should clarify on how to connect microphone to computer? :)

ooh ic. yeah i think i should learn how to breathe right o_o

thank you so much! :blush: hehe

lol how to connect the mic into the comp... there should be 3 holes in the rear end of the comp. one for speaker, one for mic, and one for something else. sometimes it might be on the front if u use a certain old school mac/dell

the one with the mic icon above the hole should be the one u plug in.. if the plug is too big, then wow lucky you! :D

jk haha.. gotta lay off the corny jokes

most mics, other than computer mics, cannot directly plug into the comp, you need a adaptor thing, i dont know what its called, but its like a plug where u can plug the big end into it, and there should a smaller plug on the other side u can plug into the comp

just to go bestbuy or radioshack and ask them "if they have a mic adaptor for pluging mics into computer" thats what i asked to get myself one for my other mic

Guest vivosergirl

Thank you for clarifying the mic business! I've been afraid to go out and buy a decent one, because nothing I buy for my computer syncs without an adaptor -_-

So, singing question... okay, I'm cursed with a horrible immune system and respiratory difficulties. Nothing too big, but I catch colds quite frequently and my voice is, as always, the first to go. I also noticed that I can't hold in as much breath as everyone else I know. I used to think it was because I had allegies all year around and my nose was clogged all the time, but then I realized that I breathe in through my mouth when I sing anyway.

Does anyone have a tip for protecting my voice from cold? I heard people drink tea to soothe their voice sometimes, but I always hear that water is the best.

And any techniques or exercises you use to work on your breathing?