Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest vivelesviets

Hello people!

Hum I have a question.

I just bought a pre-amp (behringer UB802) and a mic (a cheap philips one) in order to record myself on the computer, but well, stupid question: how do I connect all of this to my computer? 'Cause the pre-amp just have a power adaptor so where do I plug it to my pc?

Hope you'd help me, anyway thanks in advance!

Guest DoNnY

Hello people!

Hum I have a question.

I just bought a pre-amp (behringer UB802) and a mic (a cheap philips one) in order to record myself on the computer, but well, stupid question: how do I connect all of this to my computer? 'Cause the pre-amp just have a power adaptor so where do I plug it to my pc?

hi,

c'est pour faire de l'enregistrement? ou bien pour l'utiliser simplement en table de mixage? et un mic hein? tu vas te mettre au chant? lol

Hello people!

Hum I have a question.

Is there no USB cord thing with it? Is there even an USB port/connection thing on the preamp?

Wow you just bought a mixer thing with a preamp instead of just a preamp? I bet that'll be fun to use. :)

Guest vivelesviets

hi,

c'est pour faire de l'enregistrement? ou bien pour l'utiliser simplement en table de mixage? et un mic hein? tu vas te mettre au chant? lol

lol pf mec tu m'as fais une fausse joie jpensais à une réponse qui allait m'aider en fait c'etait juste toi. Et pour te répondre non c'est juste pour chanter pour le délire quoi et si tu veux savoir pourquoi j'ai du acheter tout ça ben lis la suite de mon post où je repond à l'autre personne hah.

Is there no USB cord thing with it? Is there even an USB port/connection thing on the preamp?

Wow you just bought a mixer thing with a preamp instead of just a preamp? I bet that'll be fun to use.

Hi, thanks for the answer!

Well no there isn't any usb cord and port on it that's the problem T_T So that's why i'm wonderin how to plug it to my pc, eventually i think i'll have to buy an extra cord or something but i have no idea what i need?

And for the mixer thing and all, well i really had no idea what i was buying, in fact it is just to record myself for fun and nothing else. But the problem was that when i recorded myself via my webcam or even a mic there always had the "background" or "hiss" (whatever it is called) noise so I read on a forum that i had to buy a pre-amp in order to have a "crystal-clear" sound.

So anyone could help me more on that preamp thing, or maybe give me another way to record myself clearly?

Thanks again! (=

Hi, thanks for the answer!

Well no there isn't any usb cord and port on it that's the problem T_T So that's why i'm wonderin how to plug it to my pc, eventually i think i'll have to buy an extra cord or something but i have no idea what i need?

And for the mixer thing and all, well i really had no idea what i was buying, in fact it is just to record myself for fun and nothing else. But the problem was that when i recorded myself via my webcam or even a mic there always had the "background" or "hiss" (whatever it is called) noise so I read on a forum that i had to buy a pre-amp in order to have a "crystal-clear" sound.

So anyone could help me more on that preamp thing, or maybe give me another way to record myself clearly?

Thanks again! (=

Ha I actually do understand French, I guess taking 6 years did make me at least literate in it somewhat.

I think you should have then just bought another cheap mic instead of a whole mixer thing and mic if you're just doing this all for fun. I guess if you have the money though, it doesn't matter much... but if you don't know how to use any of it, it kinda sucks.

You must be a beginner with any recording programs and such right? It'd be awesome if you had Pro Tools or some kind of program to use the mixer with.

A preamp takes a mic level audio signal and boosts it to something usable, or to a line level signal which is the most common audio signal we hear (such as from a CD player, headphones, etc.) Once you plug the mic into the port/input, you should be able to control the level volume you want it to come out and all that.

But what I suggest is that you just return the preamp and the mic and just get a cheap gaming mic or headset mic and use that well--it might just be the quality of your webcam mic or the other mic you have or you have a cruddy soundcard or it's just noise from your comp or something.

Guest tsububu

Hello people!

Hum I have a question.

Connect the main outs of the Mixer to the soundcard line input. You then connect your speakers to the line outs of the soundcard.

OR

Connect the main outs of the Mixer to the soundcard line input. You then connect your speakers to Control Room and Output of your soundcard to Tape In of Mixer.

Hope that makes sense - you probably need some cables to match the connections.

Guest vivelesviets

Ha I actually do understand French, I guess taking 6 years did make me at least literate in it somewhat.

I think you should have then just bought another cheap mic instead of a whole mixer thing and mic if you're just doing this all for fun. I guess if you have the money though, it doesn't matter much... but if you don't know how to use any of it, it kinda sucks.

You must be a beginner with any recording programs and such right? It'd be awesome if you had Pro Tools or some kind of program to use the mixer with.

A preamp takes a mic level audio signal and boosts it to something usable, or to a line level signal which is the most common audio signal we hear (such as from a CD player, headphones, etc.) Once you plug the mic into the port/input, you should be able to control the level volume you want it to come out and all that.

But what I suggest is that you just return the preamp and the mic and just get a cheap gaming mic or headset mic and use that well--it might just be the quality of your webcam mic or the other mic you have or you have a cruddy soundcard or it's just noise from your comp or something.

Thanks NO-1 for answering again! Well like i said i used to record myself with a mic but whatever program i used (i have tried Goldwave and Cool Edit Pro) there's always a background noise no matter what i did.

As for the pre-amp thing i don't think i can return it 'cause i bought that one on internet but anyway that's ok 'cause it was on sale and kinda cheap lol

Anyhow thanks a lot for the help (=

Connect the main outs of the Mixer to the soundcard line input. You then connect your speakers to the line outs of the soundcard.

OR

Connect the main outs of the Mixer to the soundcard line input. You then connect your speakers to Control Room and Output of your soundcard to Tape In of Mixer.

Hope that makes sense - you probably need some cables to match the connections.

Thanks mucho man, and yes it does make sense lol That's what i figured out too that eventually i'll have to buy extra cables, but then could you tell me what to buy cause i have no idea at all? Maybe some references or better some links?

Thanks in advance tsububu.

Guest tsububu

I don't have any links but if you choose the first method you would only need a y-splitter cable thing.

one side which is your standard stereo plug (3.5mm)

|

/ \

L R

Mono 6.5mm plugs.

Ask your local music shop or electronics store they should be able to help you.

You soundcard has the 3.5mm and mixer has 6.5mm as they are bigger as you can obviously see.

Guest DoNnY

lol pf mec tu m'as fais une fausse joie jpensais à une réponse qui allait m'aider en fait c'etait juste toi. Et pour te répondre non c'est juste pour chanter pour le délire quoi et si tu veux savoir pourquoi j'ai du acheter tout ça ben lis la suite de mon post où je repond à l'autre personne hah.

t'aurais du investir dans une carte son et un mic plutot lol

et si le bruit de fond persiste, y'a des logiciels qui permettent de l'atténuer ;)

si tu veux toujours passer par ta table, t'utilises le cable qu'il te dit le gars juste au dessus là...t'en trouves dans tous les hyper, vers 4 euros selon la longueur...

eh enregistre toi et envoie moi tes chansons ^^

Guest The Eric

QUESTION:

I just bought a new condensor mic with an audio interface (USB), it records beautifully, but it only records one side of the headphones (i believe it's called..a channel? It only records one "channel" -- if that's right, sorry I'm a noob at recording with all this fancy equipment. haha). the headphones aren't the problem or anything (cause i've tried with listen to other clips and songs), but it only records one channel. help?

Guest tofuu

does anybody know if there's a way to convert a song into instrumentals itself? no vocolas just the beat, is there a way to do that by youself? does anybody know? thanks in advance!

Guest geneyoonit

does anybody know if there's a way to convert a song into instrumentals itself? no vocolas just the beat, is there a way to do that by youself? does anybody know? thanks in advance!

i hav cool edit pro.. and that has a vocal cut program... but its not very good.. (or i dont know how to use it well)

that's a good question thou.. i'm wondering what a good program for vocal cuts are! :D

i dunno if I had asking this before but i was wondering... before Soompi got "restarted" there was a program here that's not AA program. I wonder if someone still has that program.. I don't remember the name of the program so I can't download.

ok. this has prob been asked like...1000xs. but ermm.. how do you get rid of the "stuffi-ness" of your voice...i mean i SOUND normal..but recorded...um..no. its like reallllllllllly stuffy.

and how do you sing in a "straight" voice? i mean i TRY but the stupid vibrato thingy keeps coming back..[[and its not pretty]]

ok lastly. ive requested this before but. cant some one put up a faq or something. too many questions are being repeated..i think. and not many of us want to scroll..now. 16pgs of words trying to figure out ONE stupid question...

Guest hmaster

1. for the LAST TIME. vocal cuts and that kinda stuff only work with ages old country music.

2. The UB802 person -

Here's how to make your UB802 into the centerpiece of your setup.

1. Connect the Main Outs of your 802 into the line in of your computer (the blue jack) via 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (with 1/4" / 6.5mm jack adapter).

2. I'm not familiar with your microphone, but if it has XLR connectors (three pronged thingy in roughly the shape of a triangle) plug that into either channel 1 or 2 in your mixer.

Consult somewhere else on the internet for level setting (PFL) procedures, and do that on all input channels.

Ensure your computer recording control panel has the checkbox under line in marked and not microphone.

After you finish that, you should be able to record your microphone.

l0st - get a better microphone. you want good sound, you pay good money.

16 pgs of words trying to figure out one stupid question only happens because people never bother to search themselves...this could have easily been a one page FAQ if every who had the same question didn't just post HelP me plZZZ!!! everytime they wanted an answer to something.

and how do you sing in a "straight" voice? i mean i TRY but the stupid vibrato thingy keeps coming back..[[and its not pretty]]

Hum... is it your vibrato?--or is your voice shaking? Are you giving yourself enough support when you're singing?

hi i was just wondering

what are some good exercises that help you sing high notes without straining so much ? =s

cos i think i have a lowish voice (for a girl ) and when i sing i can sing high but not as high as i want it to go.. but i gotta strain so hard >_<

and it sounds like im gonna suffocate >_< hahaha

Guest t1c t4c

im clueless on recording songs...

am i supposed to record my voice only and somehow mix it with the song on the computer

or

record my voice and song and just leave it at that

or

record parts of the song and somehow put it all together

and when i record it comes out as an amr file, which works with quicktime player but how windows media player

im using my cellphone to record and transfer... it records softly unless i sing right into it.. but then it sounds just... awful...... but overall its usable? i dunno...

would you suggest me to buy mic... if so, then how much should i buy it for...