Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest kokoling

I'm here to ask some few questions, I've learn alot singing from BoA reaching high notes, using virabtto ect..But it seems like my voice is getting to sound a little similars like hers now, I don't really like that either. It's like immitating own singers voice.. But when i sing diffrent female songs i sound diffrent. My voice sounds to weak, shaky,lacking and baby-ish when i song BoA songs but when i sing other songs it comes out clear and older (do i even make sence? lol) Especially when i sing mostly like Lee Soo Young or CSJH songs i start to sound diffrent my high notes goes up in high way (higher than i mostly sing BoA songs), Does anyone know what is wrong? I don't even know if i really make sence here.

--JENNY

That's all flexibility right there. A good singer should be able to sing as many type of genre as possible. Learn to manipulate your voice. The easiest way to do it is to get comfortable with yourself. Pick out several female singers that you can learn from, and imitate them all. It's like learning how to draw, you trace first. Eventually, you'll find your own voice, and that voice will sound good on pretty much any song because at that point, you've got your own sound and the techniques to manipulate it to your advantage.

Also, do not force a vibrato if you can't naturally just do it. It will hurt your vocal chords, and unnatural vibratos really don't sound as good. My voice teacher held me off on that for years, but I finallly got it. It's nice. Just be patient.

Victor Galaxy

Harmonization takes a lot of practice to do it quickly. Practice Practice Practice is the key. A lot of the time, you'll hear harmony in the chorus of the song. Instead of singing the melody, hear out the harmony, and sing the harmony. You'll eventually hear harmony parts just on your own because your ears are just atuned to hearing what MIGHT sound good in a certain spot. To get technical. Often times, harmony is just a third up from what the melody is. Or you could do the stagnate thing and sing the first note, but keep singing that note.

I don't know. It's hard to explain. You just have to experiment and figure out what works for you. I'm an alto in choir, so I'm always on harmony. XD It just kind of came naturally.

Guest tsububu

since nobody answer...I'm going to ask again :P

Is there anybody who know how to sing in harmony? like harmonizing the main theme etc...

Basically harmonizing is singing a melody differently.

If you know basics of music it will help otherwise if you focus closely into original music you can listen to the separate voices they use.

Guest sikkony

I think it depends more on whether it sounds good or not. Some ppl can sing in full really high but it makes me want to plug my ears because it's just ugly and too much. BoA's falsetto is really well trained so she can switch into head voice really smoothly and it sounds very pretty. <--that's as much talent as just singing it in full because a lot of people have problems easily transitioning into head voice.

Hmmm I have to disagree there. Full voice requires more skill than pure headvoice, considering full voice uses headvoice as a component too.

BTW, headvoice is also counted as full voice too (but not fully full lol). When people refer to full voice, I think they mean fully cord adducted singing. Falsetto is not full voice though.

I agree with the overusuage of headvoice though. Some songs really sound ugly when ppl sing in full voice too high.

EDIT: Is that you in your avatar ^^;;

Hmmm I have to disagree there. Full voice requires more skill than pure headvoice, considering full voice uses headvoice as a component too.

BTW, headvoice is also counted as full voice too (but not fully full lol). When people refer to full voice, I think they mean fully cord adducted singing. Falsetto is not full voice though.

I agree with the overusuage of headvoice though. Some songs really sound ugly when ppl sing in full voice too high.

EDIT: Is that you in your avatar ^^;;

You need to define head voice and falsetto to clear things up here. It gets confusing, people define them different ways.

Yes it is. ^^

Guest alicechan

That's all flexibility right there. A good singer should be able to sing as many type of genre as possible. Learn to manipulate your voice. The easiest way to do it is to get comfortable with yourself. Pick out several female singers that you can learn from, and imitate them all. It's like learning how to draw, you trace first. Eventually, you'll find your own voice, and that voice will sound good on pretty much any song because at that point, you've got your own sound and the techniques to manipulate it to your advantage.

Also, do not force a vibrato if you can't naturally just do it. It will hurt your vocal chords, and unnatural vibratos really don't sound as good. My voice teacher held me off on that for years, but I finallly got it. It's nice. Just be patient.

Yes. I tried imitating alot of female singers lately, But some just go so high that i can barley follow them LOL. Your explanaition was really helpful for me to understand, I'll to try to follow was you said. Thank you so much! :)

--JENNY

Guest sikkony

You need to define head voice and falsetto to clear things up here. It gets confusing, people define them different ways.

Yes it is. ^^

Yeh I know lol. I define it how it really is. Falsetto = no adduction, loose cord. Headvoice = some adduction. Mixed voice = full adduction.

Hahah lol XD *pokes u*

Yeh I know lol. I define it how it really is. Falsetto = no adduction, loose cord. Headvoice = some adduction. Mixed voice = full adduction.

Hahah lol XD *pokes u*

I'm going to clarify since I was still confused.

Falsetto: Falsetto is the maximal elongation of vocal cords with minimal glottic gap. It is the breathy sound that occurs when the vocal cords are allowed to separate. Falsetto will not blend with chest voice, therefore making it impractical to use except for special vocal stylings. (davestroud.com)

Falsetto is a higher range than the head voice; it relies on completely relaxed vocal folds and may sound breathy. (Wikipedia)

Head voice: The head voice is often used when a person shouts or is highly excited. In these situations people tend to produce higher pitches, and these resonate in the mouth and in the bones of the skull, producing the sensation of the sound coming from the head. A person uses the head voice when singing notes at the upper end of his or her vocal range.

The tonal qualities of the head voice are usually described as being sweet, balladic, lilting, lyrical, or pure. On the negative side, this register may sound light, unsupported, or breathy, and may not be as loud as the chest voice. (Wikipedia)

Chest Voice: The chest voice is the register typically used in everyday speech. It is so called because it can produce the sensation of the sound coming from the upper chest. This is because lower frequency sounds have longer wavelengths, and resonate mostly in the larger cavity of the chest. A person uses the chest voice when singing at the bottom of his or her range.

The tonal qualities of the chest voice are usually described as being rich or full, but can also be pushed or belted. Trained singers can usually control this register, but some untrained singers may experience vocal problems if they sing excessively in this register without proper training. (Wikipedia)

Middle Voice/Mixed: The term Middle Voice is not as commonly used as some of the other descriptions like chest and head voice. This section of the voice may also be referred to as mix or blend and it describes an area where a vocal bridge or passaggio may occur. Once the singer has mastered the art of moving smoothly through this transition area it is considered to be mixed or blended. (vocalist.org.uk)

Why are you poking me. :huh:

Guest sanoobie

is there any jpop/kpop singers that have a baritone voice range? i think most pop singers are up in

tenor voice area which they sing soo high.and i think most of u soompiers sing in tenor voice range. i dont think theres any baritone singers among anyone singing in soompi.. not that i know off or just cant tell. thanks

Guest chibi_hikari115

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but can anyone recommend me a really good mic? My mic is really crappy and it doesn't really sound like me when I sing into it....

^ Go back some pages. Anyway, if you record yourself and listen back. You aren't going to sound how you think you sound so how do you know that you don't really sound like you? xD I'm confusing, no?

Guest Cutie*Songstress

I have Goldwave Recorder...and I've been trying to figure out how to improve my recordings by being my own backup vocals, etc....but I don't know how! Does anyone know how to be your own backup vocals WITHOUT overlapping the music too much to where it sounds like chaos? :wacko: You know...like this Brina's 'Birthday Eve' - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.c...&songID=3285425 She did her backup vocals perfectly! I wanna know how! =(

Also, I wanna know how to make my voice sound mechanical like the beginning of this song - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.c...&songID=2995295 Can anybody help? :sweatingbullets:

Guest hmaster

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but can anyone recommend me a really good mic? My mic is really crappy and it doesn't really sound like me when I sing into it....

If you bother scrolling up and reason previous posts in this thread, you'll notice there's no point buying "a really good mic" because you probably don't have the money to spend on a really good microphone, plus the rest of the equipment that comes along with having a "really good sound." you'd be better off spending that money on singing lessons/vocal training instead.

Guest geneyoonit

haha.. its funny how people are trying to define voices :P (NO-1 had really good definitions btw)

its really hard to define them w/out examples... haha...

i recommend a voice teacher if you're really interested :P

is there any jpop/kpop singers that have a baritone voice range? i think most pop singers are up in

tenor voice area which they sing soo high.and i think most of u soompiers sing in tenor voice range. i dont think theres any baritone singers among anyone singing in soompi.. not that i know off or just cant tell. thanks

imma baritone :)... there aren't much famous baritones in k-pop... generally, koreans are tenors and baritones... rarely any basses are born :P

ya.. i need a mic too ... i hav a freakin cheap $10 mic >.<

Guest Sakura Li

Is it true that if you want your best voice, you shouldn't drink milk or have any dairy products in the last 24 hours? What other drinks/foods should you also avoid?

And do you guys usually just drink water b4 singing?

Edit: Whoops. I wrote should instead of shouldn't. XD

Guest geneyoonit

some people actually like milk and dairy products before they sing.. because naturally, they have a very dry throat..

what dairy/milk does to ur throat, is coat it w/ its fat... so you tend to have alot of mucus, and ur voice tends to be unclear... which ultimately means avoid chocolate(or anything sweet), or spicy foods that cause alot of mucus...

water definately helps clear all that mucus away :), for a great/clear tone... try some teas such as honey/lemon, which strips away the mucus w/ lemon and coats it with honey... tea or water luke-warm to warm helps as well... no coffee!

Guest lunalie

haha, i remember asking about all the technical terms for voices before. i have a rough idea of what they mean, but i wanted a clearer idea in contemporary terms. i think examples and a live, experienced demonstrater would be best XD;; too bad we don't have those.

when i was taking classical lessons though, chest voice was used for lower notes where you really push it out, it seemed similar to contemporary singing. falsetto was for high, light notes, especially when soft. but then people start talking about headvoice and i get confused again ^^;

to be honest, i've never really liked boa's tone. i think it's just my taste - i almost never like that nasal sound. i respect her and sometimes when her voice changes a little it sounds really pretty though. she has good producers and songs that fit my range :x

ooh i have a fun question! kind of. when you guys record, what's your position? usually physical posture is important when singing, but when you're limited to the space within good range of your mic that makes your preferred posture difficult. what do you guys do?

Guest geneyoonit

i usually just sit infront of my computer while on the mic :P

the best thing to do is stand thou :)... it helps support.. so high notes, i stand up to sing it :D

ooh i have a fun question! kind of. when you guys record, what's your position? usually physical posture is important when singing, but when you're limited to the space within good range of your mic that makes your preferred posture difficult. what do you guys do?

If it's an easy song that I don't need much support on, I'm sitting, reading lyrics off my comp.

Otherwise, I have the correct singing posture, standing and all. :)

When you're limited in space, you just make do. Hahahaha. :P