Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest sikkony

^ i guess 'throat' is stomach voice?? i dont know.

but whats better? stomach or chest? the stomach voice is the softer one right?

Thing is, stomach voice isn't a real voice register. Chest is though. I have no idea what stomach voice is, and it sounds completely absurd lol.

^Edit: How do you know what type of voice you're using when you sing. *Clueless*

Hi, I'm looking for a vocal coach and was wondering what I should be looking for in a teacher? Any people with experience with teachers have anything to share? Thanks.

You know what voice you're singing in by feeling where the base resonance is located. Chest voice, you can feel the resonance in your chest, headvoice you can feel it in your head. Regardless of these feelings, you should still be able to tell which voice register you're in since you use different vocal techniques to hit different registers. But I think many teachers rather not allow students to think of the voice as different "gears" only because it puts them off and they tend to make mistakes afterwards.

Err questions that you can ask the teacher is, do you teach or know of the SLS (Speech Level Singing) technique? Are you a classical teacher or a modern POP type teacher? And then get her to do a scale from low voice to high voice (chest to superhead or whatever she can do) and listen for vocal flaws, or easily head vocal changes. What you should hear is just 1 voice (timbre). Ask her, does she know the term "middle voice" and how to access it? At least, these would be the question I would ask :P

Your chest voice would usually be used for your lower notes. As you get higher, there's your middle voice. If you try using your chest voice for when you should be using middle, it'll strain and crack. Your head voice is for higher notes, sometimes a bit softer than your chest and middle voice.

Yah that's all good info up there XD.

Boo-yeeah, I had correct info xD

All I can think of with stomach voice is probably just breathing properly. That's what I think it means. When you breathe, your stomach should go out and your chest and shoulders shouldn't move much. We start off breathing properly and for some reason we lose it and start doing it the wrong way O_o

Guest Bernie369

I have never recorded anything on my computer before...so does anyone know what software I will need like Goldwave or Cool Edit Pro? Where can I download these softwares for recording??? And what kind of mic?

Thanks!

Google them :D With Cooledit, its now called Adobe Audition. And legally, you can only get the 30 day trial for free.

Any mic that you can plug in to your comp will do if you just started

Guest murrkoh*

i've always loved singing, and i love singing like korean slow pop songs and all.

so in order to improve, i started voice lessons...but my teacher sort of teaches me a different "kind" of singing? its more like choir/opera.

i started on this italian piece...where my voice is high....and totally different from if i'd be singing pop.

so i do'nt know if it'll help me at all.

any ideas?

------------------------------------------

also, how do you practice your vibratto?

Guest VictorGalaxy

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I just want to know what is the name for different kind of voices.

For your information, I'm a guy.

1. When we sing like we are talking(pretty low) then is that "Chest voice"?

2. When we sing a bit higher. (this voice sound good and we hear that mostly in singing), what is the name for that? head voice?

3. If we go even higher, it would become like "pretending singing as a girl". This is "Falsetto" Am I right?

I can sing very very high with falsetto, is falsetto count as our voice's range?

I don't really like falsetoo myself, I want to increase my range for the "head voice"...how to do that? Now, some high note that I can reach sometimes with forcing a little bit(1/2 chance success)....but when i'm tired, I can't reach that high pitch anymore...is that pitch too high for me? or it is trainable?

Your chest voice would usually be used for your lower notes. As you get higher, there's your middle voice. If you try using your chest voice for when you should be using middle, it'll strain and crack. Your head voice is for higher notes, sometimes a bit softer than your chest and middle voice.

I dunno how to answer the other questions so I'll leave it xD

Guest VictorGalaxy

@rai rai

yeah, I dont' know what is middle voice :P

BTW, I can see that a lot of people asking how to develop vibratto...and here is what I did to reach vibratto:

-3 years ago, I want to develop vibratto. So I try to surf the net and find in, formation about vibratto. There are two ways to do it:

a) Somebody say that when you try to sing a note for long...at the end, when you are like "running out of breath" then it automatically "vibrate" a little bit.

b ) try to sing two notes that are one after the other and switch back and forward...faster and faster and then you reach vibratto....

I THINK for a) is a BAD method, I heard someone say it's not good for your vocal chord. But i used method a) for like 1-2 years. but it wasn't working well...I developed an not controlled "fake" vibratto.

But during last year,I use a method...I choose a pitch that is most comfortable for me. Then I sing that pitch and try to end that pitch with vibratto...and eventually I get it with a mixed method of a)

Now, I have a steady vibratto(almost perfect control). I think the key is...you must choose a pitch that is the most comfortable for you. then try to reach vibratto for that note.

Guest sikkony

i've always loved singing, and i love singing like korean slow pop songs and all.

so in order to improve, i started voice lessons...but my teacher sort of teaches me a different "kind" of singing? its more like choir/opera.

i started on this italian piece...where my voice is high....and totally different from if i'd be singing pop.

so i do'nt know if it'll help me at all.

any ideas?

------------------------------------------

also, how do you practice your vibratto?

Hmmm you have to ask your teacher, is she a classical teacher or a modern POP teacher. Read up a few post up where someone asked "what to ask new teachers to you". Those questions should be valid and be 'extremely' helpful to you.

I'll recite what I said before, if they teach classical usually they're next to useless (no offence to anyone), and the methods taught cannot be used in POP or modern singing such as Rock etc. You would have to go backwards, undo all the classical teachings you have done, and revert back to the start, where you learn to sing "properly". If you ask me, I would NEVER EVER pay to be taught by a classical teacher.

You have to ask her, what is that Italian piece concentrating on? What does it help develop in your singing voice? But from what it sounds like (no offence again), she's just winding you up. Usually, your first lesson should be morely on how to access headvoice (at least to what I believe), and bridging it. Not singing pieces lol.

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I just want to know what is the name for different kind of voices.

For your information, I'm a guy.

1. When we sing like we are talking(pretty low) then is that "Chest voice"?

2. When we sing a bit higher. (this voice sound good and we hear that mostly in singing), what is the name for that? head voice?

3. If we go even higher, it would become like "pretending singing as a girl". This is "Falsetto" Am I right?

I can sing very very high with falsetto, is falsetto count as our voice's range?

I don't really like falsetoo myself, I want to increase my range for the "head voice"...how to do that? Now, some high note that I can reach sometimes with forcing a little bit(1/2 chance success)....but when i'm tired, I can't reach that high pitch anymore...is that pitch too high for me? or it is trainable?

1. Yes.

2. Middle (mixed) voice.

3. Yes, it is falsetto, or a pure headvoice. Usually, singers use the latter, never the former, as falsetto is useless (unless for effects).

4. No, falsetto does not count in a vocal range (well at least from what I know). We only count full voice, but also count superhead + whistle range. I think we count vocal fries too.

If you get tired from singing and can't hit that pitch again, it sounds like you're singing incorrectly. If you're singing and feel tired yet nothing has changed, then that sounds right. Good singing teacher fixes all.

Does anyone have the adobe Audition Torrent File?

That's illegal if you don't own the correct program. Actually, I think all full ISOs on torrent are illegal isn't it? Anyways, google is your best friend if you do own the program and need a backup copy.

========

If for any reason I sound harsh/mean or whatever the case, please tell me. I always try to help others out but sometimes I feel that people see the opposite.

Guest VictorGalaxy

Thx for your reply sikkony.

The thing is I don't have a teacher xD. I just love singing and sing everydays.

My problem now is...okay, lets say my highest pitch is G. When I woke up every morning, I couldn't sing high... I need to warm up before able to sing high. After warming up, I try to sing G(forcing a little bit, without hurting my vocal chord) and I can reach G 2 out of 5 times. (so 3 times that I sing off tone/or become falsetto voice). Then when I get tired, I can still sing all the pitch..but for the highest one(G) I now can reach only 0 or 1 out of 5 times, mostly singing off-pitch(or become falsetto version) ONLY for my highest note(G). So, is "G" too high for me? or with practice, I can reach G 5 out of 5 times?

Also, one thing that I'm worry, I heard "rumors" saying that if we sing improperly, it would lead to cancer...hope this is not true :P

Just practise and keep yourself hydrated, drink lots of water. That's all I can think of. It's probably just out of your range.

Guest VictorGalaxy

Just practise and keep yourself hydrated, drink lots of water. That's all I can think of. It's probably just out of your range.

yeah, I do drink lot of water...if it is out of my range, A for example is really out of my range...no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't reach A at all. But G, as I said above, I do reach that note with forcing a little bit sometimes. I'm mad a little bit, cuz a lot of songs' highest note is around G, and I couldn't sing lot of songs because of that pitch...If only I can reach that, then I can sing a lot of songs.

Guest sikkony

Thx for your reply sikkony.

The thing is I don't have a teacher xD. I just love singing and sing everydays.

My problem now is...okay, lets say my highest pitch is G. When I woke up every morning, I couldn't sing high... I need to warm up before able to sing high. After warming up, I try to sing G(forcing a little bit, without hurting my vocal chord) and I can reach G 2 out of 5 times. (so 3 times that I sing off tone/or become falsetto voice). Then when I get tired, I can still sing all the pitch..but for the highest one(G) I now can reach only 0 or 1 out of 5 times, mostly singing off-pitch(or become falsetto version) ONLY for my highest note(G). So, is "G" too high for me? or with practice, I can reach G 5 out of 5 times?

Also, one thing that I'm worry, I heard "rumors" saying that if we sing improperly, it would lead to cancer...hope this is not true :P

Hmmm practicing the right technique will cure you of your range problem. Warm up is a key. Sounds like you using the wrong technique to hit those notes and pulling chest.

No, you can't get cancer from singing incorrectly but you can get another major problem, aka nodules, which gives you pain when you talk, swallow, and use your voice. It could permanently damage your voice such as voiceloss or hoarseness, but if still young, it should be temporary.

yeah, I do drink lot of water...if it is out of my range, A for example is really out of my range...no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't reach A at all. But G, as I said above, I do reach that note with forcing a little bit sometimes. I'm mad a little bit, cuz a lot of songs' highest note is around G, and I couldn't sing lot of songs because of that pitch...If only I can reach that, then I can sing a lot of songs.

Yeh, I noticed that's the golden note for most songs. I think people call it the money note?

Bah, I better go sleep. nitez~

Guest murrkoh*

thanks for your reply.

actually, im in her choir class, so since she already had taught our class how to sing correctly, we just started on a piece.

i've heard her sing selena, whitney housten and all, and she's AMAZING. but i don't know why i'm learning this classical piece. i talked to her, and she said it would help me in my high notes. but then again its mostly falsetto ish...its not my real singing voice. so i don't know what to tell her.

argg. am i wasting my money?

(my friend tells me thats the basic before learning pop...)

Guest VictorGalaxy

Here is the method that I use to record songs....:

I use Abac Karaoke to eliminate the original singer voice, then use Acoustica MP3 audio mixer to record and mix my voice in it.

Is that the "correct" way? Also, i don't know why that I need a MP3Gain(a software) to boost up the volume of my sound. Cuz I don't know why my computer record my sound with very low volume.

Also, do you guys record your songs in one single shot?(from the beginning to the end). Or record different part s separately and then mixed together? What are those professional singer do when recording their album? Singing different parts separately and then mix together?

Another problem is, when I sing louder, my mic produce a "weird" cracking noice...is that normal?

Guest sikkony

thanks for your reply.

actually, im in her choir class, so since she already had taught our class how to sing correctly, we just started on a piece.

i've heard her sing selena, whitney housten and all, and she's AMAZING. but i don't know why i'm learning this classical piece. i talked to her, and she said it would help me in my high notes. but then again its mostly falsetto ish...its not my real singing voice. so i don't know what to tell her.

argg. am i wasting my money?

(my friend tells me thats the basic before learning pop...)

Ah that makes sense. I think she's trying to make you strengthen and improve your headvoice. I'm not sure though. What does she call the high notes? Headvoice or Falsetto? Or are you talking about really high notes?

Here is the method that I use to record songs....:

I use Abac Karaoke to eliminate the original singer voice, then use Acoustica MP3 audio mixer to record and mix my voice in it.

Is that the "correct" way? Also, i don't know why that I need a MP3Gain(a software) to boost up the volume of my sound. Cuz I don't know why my computer record my sound with very low volume.

Also, do you guys record your songs in one single shot?(from the beginning to the end). Or record different part s separately and then mixed together? What are those professional singer do when recording their album? Singing different parts separately and then mix together?

Another problem is, when I sing louder, my mic produce a "weird" cracking noice...is that normal?

I just know that your mic should not "distort" when you sing loud. Sounds like a budget mic (no offence :P). That, or your soundcard doesn't pick up high (loud) notes well. Should be the mic though.

Pro singers don't usually sing the song in one shot. They sing it in parts. So say the chorus has a nice high note at the end, and they sing it and they get it wrong, they just do that part again and again and choose the best recording out of the lot, mix it in (or whatever you guys call it), and yeh. That's why it's extremely rare to see a singer sing as well in their live performance v.s their studio recordings.

The other mixing questions about programs, I have no idea. Hmaster has made an excellent and concise tutorial for us Soompis which can be found on the first page that explains how to use Cooledit 1.5 or 2.1 or whatever it was (that program is excellent in recording and powerful).

Guest VictorGalaxy

Ah that makes sense. I think she's trying to make you strengthen and improve your headvoice. I'm not sure though. What does she call the high notes? Headvoice or Falsetto? Or are you talking about really high notes?

I just know that your mic should not "distort" when you sing loud. Sounds like a budget mic (no offence :P). That, or your soundcard doesn't pick up high (loud) notes well. Should be the mic though.

Pro singers don't usually sing the song in one shot. They sing it in parts. So say the chorus has a nice high note at the end, and they sing it and they get it wrong, they just do that part again and again and choose the best recording out of the lot, mix it in (or whatever you guys call it), and yeh. That's why it's extremely rare to see a singer sing as well in their live performance v.s their studio recordings.

The other mixing questions about programs, I have no idea. Hmaster has made an excellent and concise tutorial for us Soompis which can be found on the first page that explains how to use Cooledit 1.5 or 2.1 or whatever it was (that program is excellent in recording and powerful).

I see.

But why my mic distort? Some of my friends told me to hold the mic properly, but how? Is it my mic is too close to my mouth? what is the best distance+angle between the mic and my mouth?

Try changing the mic volume, you can do so by clicking that speaker icon on the bottom right. If Microphone isn't there, go to Properties and check it.

That cracking noise is probably because you're clipping, it's when you get too loud for the mic to handle and yeah...