BRYANT CHANG, HSIAO CHUAN CHANG, KATE YEUNG
eternalsummer-1.jpg

盛夏光年( ETERNAL SUMMER )

導演: 陳正道

主演: 張睿家, 張孝全, 楊淇

片種: 劇情

日期: 2007-01-25

eternalsummer-2.jpg

康正行、余守恆是小學同班同學,正行是班長,守恆卻患上「過度活躍症」,一天到晚惹麻煩。某天,小學轉來了一位女生,竟遭守恆施展惡作劇令她當眾出醜。老師為了此事大動肝火,委派了正行幫助守恆適應校園生活。他倆不自覺地開啟了彼此間的陌生心靈,正行更了解守恆稀奇古怪的世界,二人頓成好友。

轉瞬間經歷十數年頭,康正行(張睿家飾)和余守恆(張孝全飾)友情不變。高中時代的正行於校社裡結識了惠嘉(楊淇飾),互相有著淡淡情愫。與此同時,正行發現自己對守恆的感覺,也超越了好朋友情份。惠嘉發現了這個秘密,她答應永不洩露出去。

正行害怕面對自己,開始對守恆諸多逃避。守恆遍尋不果,卻發現惠嘉出現在球場上。惠嘉因為發現了正行的秘密,也對他喜歡的對象產生好奇。三人間微妙的友情、愛情關係,微妙的傾斜起來。

Quality cinema seekers may want to carve time into their schedule for Eternal Summer, a Taiwanese youth drama from director Leste Chen (The Heirloom). Eternal Summer tells the story of Jonathan (Bryant Chang), a young man who finds himself in an enviable (or maybe not) romantic predicament. On one hand, he has pretty Hong Kong transplant Carrie (Kate Yeung) after him. The two share an idyllic day of hooky in the big city, after which they check into a love hotel and get down to the deed. No dice: Jonathan calls it off. It turns out that he's in love with someone else, namely best friend Shane (Joseph Chang), a roguish and handsome troublemaker who excels at basketball and seems to be headed nowhere in particular after high school.

Carrie gets Jonathan's problem, and even accepts it. However, that isn't going to solve things for these conflicted youth. The revelation of Jonathan's sexuality creates tension between Carrie and Jonathan. Shane is oblivious to his old friend's issues, though, and initially has a contentious relationship with Carrie. However, their unspoken conflict over Jonathan gives way to their own relationship, which they embark on without Jonathan's knowledge. The days and nights pass, but the big secret of Jonathan's desires hangs over the three friends like the proverbial other shoe. Eventually, something has to give, and when it does, lives will surely change.

Or will they? As the title of the film may suggest, the emotions of youth are not things that can easily pass, regardless of honesty or sudden revelations. Not everything can reach absolute closure, and Eternal Summer seems to echo that theme by concentrating on its suffering, silent mood and the all-consuming emotions of its characters. Jonathan is consumed day-to-day by his passion for his pal, and Bryant Chang reveals his character's inner torture with a pitch-perfect emotional performance. Joseph Chang is even better, giving Shane undeniable charisma and a substantial inner core. The success of Eternal Summer hinges largely on his character's hidden emotions, and Joseph Chang handles the role with a charismatic, soulful energy. As the unfortunate third party of the trio, Kate Yeung is expressive and believable in a more limited and subtle role than either of her two male costars.

More than anything, Eternal Summer looks and sounds beautiful. The widescreen compositions, pleasing colors, and evocative soundtrack suit the film's gentle tone, giving the film an almost tangible warmth. Director Leste Chen's direction is evenly-paced and sensitive, giving each detail purpose and emotional weight. The film is almost too sure-handed, never presenting its emotions or situations as sensational or overblown, but also never digging too far beneath the surface. Eternal Summer is a film about mood and atmosphere, revealing and reveling in each character's feelings such that they permeate each frame like invisible emotion-saturated fog. The negative that exists in this is that there's little complexity attained, as the film reveals itself in an entirely too efficient manner. We get the emotions and we get the situations, and that feeling continues for a good ninety minutes. When the film's more sensational moments do occur, they're hardly unexpected.

Also, the film attempts to tie things up with multiple "secrets" that get revealed at the film's climax. The characters bare their souls to each other, but it's questionable if the secrets connect with the audience as much as they do with the characters. For most of Eternal Summer, the details suitably reveal the characters' emotions, but when it's time for them to own up verbally, the connection doesn't seem to gel. It's almost like the film is unable to commit -- a valid theme where these characters are concerned, but hardly a satisfying, or even fitting one considering the narrative's final dramatic push. When Eternal Summer finally ends, it seems that we're not left with an answer, but simply an abundance of affecting emotion delivered through gorgeous performance, image, and sound. From a cinema standpoint, that's still an accomplishment. The whole may not be satisfying or entirely substantial, but if one were to judge solely by details, then Eternal Summer is a lovely little achievement.

eternalsummer0.jpg

SOURCE : 盛夏光年

盛夏光年

盛夏光年

盛夏光年

盛夏光年

eternalsummer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest formula17

The DVD was released a few days ago, but there's no subtitles, so i ain't gonna buy it until the english sub is released. Anyone got a hold on the taiwanese ver. of DVD? Please share :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aoijen

i never know this movie can anybody help this thread please give ur comments or if u has ever watch this movie and thanks

Guest Metamorphosis

I've seen it and i must say, i'm impressed by Bryant's acting skills, he improved a lot!

a great movie, better than formula 17 :lol:

Guest .moony.

I dont plan to watch this movie since it's not my kind of movies....but the theme song is GREAT, and I have to repeat it 5 times GREATx5 XDDD

Guest asianrice

I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I like how they left the ending like that, his words were simple, yet touching enough.

Guest JessNoYouAre

I watched the movie...loved it!!

But please, please, can someone tell me what was with the man in the suit that had relations with Jonathan?

Guest onigiri

bryant chang is so good looking in this movie~ drool drool. i really enjoyed the movie. the theme song is sung by mayday and it's really good. it really fits the mood of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest precious4e

I LOVE this movie. It's one of the best movies i've watch all year. Maybe the best i've watched in the past few years.... I'll probably buy the DVD and the soundtrack :lol:

Bryant Chang's acting is really good in this. No wonder he won the Golden Horse. Not to mention he's a hottie. His expression at the end just made me break down cuz you really feel for him.

I personally want to know what people thought about the ending. I hate cliff hanger type endings so I just wanna see what you all thought. I personally think that

Shane likes Johnathan but just doesn't realize it or he doesn't want to admit it. All his actions up til the end wouldn't make sense in the "friends" context. I mean, I would never sleep with my same gender best friend if that's all I felt about her. And I wouldn't catch a hissy fit if I saw her talking to some guy.

side note: the theme song by May Day is GREAT!!

@ JessNoYouAre: I think he's just a random guy that he picked up to help console himself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EDISON4U7

ETERNAL SUMMER

keyart-temp-b.jpg

still1.jpgstill2.jpgstill3.jpgstill4.jpgstill5.jpg

Eternal Summer tells the story of Jonathan (Bryant Chang), a young man who finds himself in an enviable (or maybe not) romantic predicament. On one hand, he has pretty Hong Kong Carrie (Kate Yeung) after him. The two share an idyllic day of hooky in the big city, after which they check into a love hotel and get down to the deed. No dice: Jonathan calls it off. It turns out that he's in love with someone else, namely best friend Shane (Joseph Chang), a roguish and handsome troublemaker who excels at basketball and seems to be headed nowhere in particular after high school.

Carrie gets Jonathan's problem, and even accepts it. However, that isn't going to solve things for these conflicted youth. The revelation of Jonathan's sexuality creates tension between Carrie and Jonathan. Shane is oblivious to his old friend's issues, though, and initially has a contentious relationship with Carrie. However, their unspoken conflict over Jonathan gives way to their own relationship, which they embark on without Jonathan's knowledge. The days and nights pass, but the big secret of Jonathan's desires hangs over the three friends like the proverbial other shoe. Eventually, something has to give, and when it does, lives will surely change.

Or will they? As the title of the film may suggest, the emotions of youth are not things that can easily pass, regardless of honesty or sudden revelations. Not everything can reach absolute closure, and Eternal Summer seems to echo that theme by concentrating on its suffering, silent mood and the all-consuming emotions of its characters. Jonathan is consumed day-to-day by his passion for his pal, and Bryant Chang reveals his character's inner torture with a pitch-perfect emotional performance. Joseph Chang is even better, giving Shane undeniable charisma and a substantial inner core. The success of Eternal Summer hinges largely on his character's hidden emotions, and Joseph Chang handles the role with a charismatic, soulful energy. As the unfortunate third party of the trio, Kate Yeung is expressive and believable in a more limited and subtle role than either of her two male costars.

More than anything, Eternal Summer looks and sounds beautiful. The widescreen compositions, pleasing colors, and evocative soundtrack suit the film's gentle tone, giving the film an almost tangible warmth. Director Leste Chen's direction is evenly-paced and sensitive, giving each detail purpose and emotional weight. The film is almost too sure-handed, never presenting its emotions or situations as sensational or overblown, but also never digging too far beneath the surface. Eternal Summer is a film about mood and atmosphere, revealing and reveling in each character's feelings such that they permeate each frame like invisible emotion-saturated fog. The negative that exists in this is that there's little complexity attained, as the film reveals itself in an entirely too efficient manner. We get the emotions and we get the situations, and that feeling continues for a good ninety minutes. When the film's more sensational moments do occur, they're hardly unexpected.

Also, the film attempts to tie things up with multiple "secrets" that get revealed at the film's climax. The characters bare their souls to each other, but it's questionable if the secrets connect with the audience as much as they do with the characters. For most of Eternal Summer, the details suitably reveal the characters' emotions, but when it's time for them to own up verbally, the connection doesn't seem to gel. It's almost like the film is unable to commit -- a valid theme where these characters are concerned, but hardly a satisfying, or even fitting one considering the narrative's final dramatic push. When Eternal Summer finally ends, it seems that we're not left with an answer, but simply an abundance of affecting emotion delivered through gorgeous performance, image, and sound. From a cinema standpoint, that's still an accomplishment. The whole may not be satisfying or entirely substantial, but if one were to judge solely by details, then Eternal Summer is a lovely little achievement.

What Will Happen If You Fall Inlove With You Best Friend Does a Friendship Goeas On....Like Before......love can never be the same when the person you love if someone you keep so close for a long time :sweatingbullets: ....

Guest EDISON4U7

is this a new movie?

yep this is a new movie i just finish watch trust me after you watch this you will thing twice about you bestfriend...and why life is so hard for them to find love from one other....

Guest epic_darkness

I love this movie, it's so emotional and at the end it's like you are left wondering what's going to happen next, everyone should watch this, it's a beautiful story and very well told

Guest el dia

i think there is a thread for "eternal summer". I absolutely love this movie. I think Shane love Jonathan but I don't get why he said "Best friend" until the end.. :unsure: I love Jonathan character.

Guest babycurious

I like this film

At first I though it gonna be a love triangle, girl > Johnathan> Shane > girl , but I was wrong

I sincerely wish

that those 2 boys fell in love each other, I really wish so till the very end of it. I really though that Shane would like Johnathan based of the bed scene, but apparantly not....

Will the three of them be able to live next to each other?

question : would a girl date a guy hat always hangs around with his bestfriend who also in ove with him?

I think their relationship are pictured beautifully, but still I DEMAND a closure!!

<_<

Guest 0oyokisuo0

got to love mayday's song for the movie<3333333333333 i've been addicted to it ever since it came out!

anyway to the movie. its a pretty good movie, really fits the song. (or actually the other way around)

i dun think a movie like that ever came out in taiwan.....the plot wasnt what i expected ._.

the sex scene was "o_o" to me, but the plot is really touching and GO GET THE SOUNDTRACK!! BOTH OF THEM! xD

Archived