Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

And our dear Kim Nam Gil being passed on for a Best TV Actor nomination at Baeksang this year. And zero nomination for "Live Up To Your Name". I am so very mad :angry: I can't believe that him displaying such wide acting range,  balancing brilliantly between comedy and seriousness could be overlooked. Guess he is still very much underrated in Korea. Sigh. :(

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, lyserose said:

And our dear Kim Nam Gil being passed on for a Best TV Actor nomination at Baeksang this year. And zero nomination for "Live Up To Your Name". I am so very mad :angry: I can't believe that him displaying such wide acting range,  balancing brilliantly between comedy and seriousness could be overlooked. Guess he is still very much underrated in Korea. Sigh. :(

Is the award based on viewers vote?

I remember him saying how he wished to get an award someday - at Life Bar show :(

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, decci said:

Is the award based on viewers vote?

I remember him saying how he wished to get an award someday - at Life Bar show :(

No. Baeksang is considered as the most prestigious at least for TV Awards. It combines all drama performances from all tv stations and winners are chosen by critics. 

Kim Nam Gil has not earned any award or nomination since Queen Seondeok. If LUTYN was broadcasted on one of the main tv stations (KBS, SBS and MBC), I think he could have won something at the station's year end awards. 

I seriously don't feel that many actors gave strong performances this year and KNG definitely gave one of the best yet he was overlooked. So frustrating... :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That's really sad but yeah Baeksang award is something very hard to achieve... it's either you are seriously good or at least your drama became popular. He never received any awards since QSD although he at least get nominated when it comes to movies...I think it will be nice to at least see his name on the list of nominees.... so we can see him in award shows again.:bawling:

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, yanki said:

That's really sad but yeah Baeksang award is something very hard to achieve... it's either you are seriously good or at least your drama became popular. He never received any awards since QSD although he at least get nominated when it comes to movies...I think it will be nice to at least see his name on the list of nominees.... so we can see him in award shows again.:bawling:

If you look at the list of nominees, I don't really find most of them half as good as Kim Nam Gil. I mean they are good but nothing special in their performances.  If we talked about drama popularity, LUTYN is the highest rated drama on TVN and the third highest rated cable drama last year. I visited AKP blog and a lot were not happy that KNG was not nominated, esp compared to another current IT actor. Some even pointed out may be he was left out due to some politics behind. 

• Sad 2
  • LOL 1

9 minutes ago, lyserose said:

If you look at the list of nominees, I don't really find most of them half as good as Kim Nam Gil. I mean they are good but nothing special in their performances.  If we talked about drama popularity, LUTYN is the highest rated drama on TVN and the third highest rated cable drama last year. I visited AKP blog and a lot were not happy that KNG was not nominated, esp compared to another current IT actor. Some even pointed out may be he was left out due to some politics behind. 

What kind of politics ? :wacko:

Not really sure about politics but popularity of the show do help a lot. LUTYN was aired in TVN which is a cable TV, so the range of audience are smaller compared to those dramas from local TV. So it will be hard for the drama to be noticed for Baeksang awards unless of course it's as popular as Goblin (though this one is a very rare case). Though the ratings for LUTYN wasn't bad, it wasn't that popular enough to make it a talk of town or considered to be a rare case.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 6:45 AM, lyserose said:

No. Baeksang is considered as the most prestigious at least for TV Awards. It combines all drama performances from all tv stations and winners are chosen by critics. 

Kim Nam Gil has not earned any award or nomination since Queen Seondeok. If LUTYN was broadcasted on one of the main tv stations (KBS, SBS and MBC), I think he could have won something at the station's year end awards. 

I seriously don't feel that many actors gave strong performances this year and KNG definitely gave one of the best yet he was overlooked. So frustrating... :angry:

Seriously :( it makes me so mad that he’s so under appreciated but then again, I know he isn’t one to pick a project solely on “buzz or ratings magnet” like a KES’s piece. I want to see him win a Grand Bell award soon!! 

I think it's about Strange Family movie.

Interesting article but I think a bit false, where they said that KNG doesn't seem to match up with comedy. Have they seen his acting in LUTYN, where he made us laughing so hard on his acting as Heo Im?

It's translated (by google):

"Kim Nam-gil's choice, which does not seem to match up with comedy, attracts attention.

The fact that he has participated in movies with genres such as thriller and disaster blockbuster from 'The Memory of the Murderer' to 'Pandora' is a fact that he relieves his powers and throws a comeback in the comedy."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, decci said:

Interesting article but I think a bit false, where they said that KNG doesn't seem to match up with comedy. Have they seen his acting in LUTYN, where he made us laughing so hard on his acting as Heo Im?

Maybe because in the past years, he was mostly seen doing heavy movies or dark characters. His previous co-stars also talked about it, how her first image of KNG on her mind was that sort of bad guy because of the characters he portray in his movies so maybe that's what the article also means? it's been so long since he made a light movie or funny movie (last one was The Pirates).

• Like 3