Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest rintintintin

^Thanks Lyra, actually i had a strong feeling that his team will go to our country to help the victims of typhoon there. If they will go to Leyte *my grandma's province.* The people will be happy if they will go there. I want to thank KNG for this wonderful project to help the victims of typhoon and his team as well. You guys are amazing. :)

Guest rintintintin

Kim Nam Gil is Korea's "Secret Weapon"

Actor Kim Nam Gil

Based in: Seoul

Last Education: Myeong Ji Cheon University

Kim Nam Gil is in it for the long game. He has survived far longer than many actors who started in Korean dramas, quick flashes of pretty boy smiles, a few fan girl sites, and they disappear, a disposable success. But Kim has managed to bypass being just another preposterously good-looking celebrity to an award-winning actor that even one well-known surly Korean critic described as an “actor who loses himself in every role.” Kim is getting ready to do it again with the announcement this week that he will be starring in the Korean adaptation of the original “Homeland,” the award-winning terrorism thriller remade from the Israeli series “Prisoners of War.” The Korean remake, the first Asian version of the psychological spy series, is being jointly produced by Privy members, Youngbeom Jeong, CEO of Korea’s Star J Entertainment and Hollywood producer Teddy Zee, who are harnessing the the drama’s trademark hold-your-breath suspense with a plot that centers on the ratcheting tensions between Seoul and their neighbors in Pyongyang. With the American version a critical hit on Showtime, and Zee predicting that the remake will “expand the the influence of the so-called Korean wave in Asia and beyond,” the pressure is definitely on for the 32-year-old actor.

But if anyone can handle it, it's Kim, who was cast mid-series in the historical epic, "Queen Seon Deok", and famously called the show’s “secret weapon.” It turns out, he was. The drama was the highest-rated series in Korea in 2009. With “Queen Seon Deok” and his misunderstood, brooding warrior Bidam, Kim charmed the Asian demographic, many of them, female, with his take on a mercenary whose arrogance belies an inner little boy lost. The actor went on to star in the intense drama “Lovers Vanished,” a movie he describes as a Korean “Leaving Las Vegas,” and also played a business tycoon in the show “Bad Guy,” a series that was shortened because of Kim’s two-year mandatory military stint in Korea. For a lot of actors, two years away from the industry would be career suicide. But for Kim, who considered it a “civic and moral duty,” it was a publicist's dream: the time away only made his fans want him more. His upcoming movie, “Pirates: The Bandit Goes to the Sea” dubbed the “Korean Pirates of the Caribbean,” is already poised as one of this summer’s most anticipated movies with fans buzzing in excitement in seeing a dapper Kim à la Jack Sparrow. Somehow the universe seems to knows it too--Kim Nam Gil is in it for the long run.

What was your career turning point?

I definitely feel that the drama “Queen Seondeok” in 2009 was a huge turning point for me. The show and my character, Bidam, really seemed to connect with the audience, and it became this hugely popular series, not just in Korea, but in China and Japan too. The series really opened doors for me and led me to the show “Bad Guy”, which I loved doing. And it also helped me to to do “Lovers Vanished,” a passion project of mine that I always describe as a Korean “Leaving Las Vegas.”

We hear you're very involved with charity work. Which projects are you involved with and why is it so important to you?

I know that I’m in a very privileged and blessed position, and I think it’s my responsibility to share what I have with people who don’t have much. If what I give, whether it’s my time, my effort, gives someone else hope, it’s worth it to me. I mean, in the end, it’s all about hope. In the last few years, I’ve been most passionate about working with organizations in Korea that help single mothers, who I believe, are the real heroes in society. I also volunteer at pediatric units in several hospitals across Korea. I’m a huge animal lover as well, and I’m always supporting different animal shelters in our country. I think environmental issues are extremely important, and in 2009, went to Indonesia when the earthquake devastated their country. I saw so much desperation and poverty, and I was overwhelmed with the desire to help. I created my nonprofit organization, "Gilstory" (www.gil-story.com) to provide support and resources for countries devastated by natural disasters and poverty, like Indonesia and the Philippines.

What did you learn during your two-year military service?

When you’re in the army, everyone’s the same, which means, everyone starts off low. Because of that, though, I learned a lot about gratitude, how to be grateful and thankful for the little things--a good meal, a hot shower, a comfortable bed--small things that we take for granted on a daily basis. I think I also grew up a lot. I never thought I was immature, but I definitely gained a deeper sense of maturity that really has stayed in my heart.

We hear you're learning Chinese. What interested you about studying the language?

I’ve also been a very curious, passionate person, and I think learning a language really brings that out in me even more. The Chinese language is a challenge and because of that, it really made me want to learn it and get a handle on the language even more. Anytime I think “I don’t know if I can do this”, it makes me want to do it more. I think the initial reason I picked Chinese, though, is because I have so many fans in China and I really want to communicate with them and have a dialogue with them. And if there is any possibility, I would love to work with the many amazingly talented Chinese directors in the future.

If you could have one last meal, what would it be?

I love authentic Korean foods, so I would have to say, soybean soup.

What are your top 5 restaurants in Los Angeles?

1. In N' Out

2. Matsuhisa

3. Mastro's

4. Boa

5. Kogi Taco

What are your top 5 restaurants in Korea?

1. Deh-nam-moo in Cheongdam

2. Spass

3. Kwang Jang Bulgogi

4. Busan House

5. Dor-Gom in Apgujeong.

What's next for Kim Nam Gil?

I’m so honored to be in the Korean version of “Prisoners of War.” It’s a dream come true for me as an actor to be a part of the first Asian remake of such a successful show. I also had a lot of fun making “Pirates: The Bandit Goes to the Sea" that's being released this summer. I enjoyed working so much with Son Ye Jin and learned tremendously from my director, Lee Suk Hoon. I always loved singing and music, and I just released my CD, “Roman,” last year. I hope I can keep making television shows and movies that people enjoy--it always feels good when something I do makes an impact on people.

Kim-Nam-Gil

Kim-Nam-Gil

Kim-Nam-Gil

Source: http://www.privy.net/magazine/go/PEOPLE/kim-nam-gil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1395578011_81fd.jpg
1395578015_64dc.jpg

7197710dgw1eeqkqjpnhyj20hi0qdabv.jpg

fullsizephoto417726.jpg

Kim Nam-gil for "Rising Star Award"

Actor Kim Nam-gil was honored with the Rising Star Award.
He's been awarded one of the most important awards at the eighth Asian Film Special Award hosted by AFAA.
This award was given to him not only because of his performance as an actor but also because his various activities in making documentaries and directing advertisements.
Kuriyama Chiakika, a Japanese actress was given a similar prize to Kim Nam-gil. Yen Ji Dan and Lau Ka Ling were given the Outstanding Actress and Actor Award.
This event meant a lot as it was a collaboration of the Busan International Film Festival, Tokyo International Film Festival and AFAA. Chairmen Lee Yong-gwan and Shina from Tokyo were at the event as well.
Meanwhile, Kim Nam-gil is heading over to Japan on the 24th for a concert of the 25th and 26th. He's looking forward to the release of the movie "Pirates" with Son Ye-jin.
Source : http://www.osen.co.kr/article/G1109813194
http://www.hancinema.net/kim-nam-gil-for-rising-star-award-67400.html

@Lyrayoo.. so beautifully said....  I kept waiting for KNG to show up on QS... and  when he did - wow..I get goosebumps...I have never seen him like that before (or after).  To me now, Bidam is the quintessential KNG, with layering of playfulness and naughtiness as you stated, as well as innocence,  laughter, bravery, quick thinking, as well as the deep emotions we have seen in his other drama... I am now slowing down my watching of QS.. It's like I don't want it to end...What KNG has done with this role is just beyond words...Also, before QS I could not imagine KNG in comedy when he said he wanted to do a rom-com... Now, I would love to see it, and hope he has the right leading lady...

@LoVe Cartier,  ahhh... I did see Lovers Vanished..Now you make me want to watch again Bad Guy and Shark...

QS-8_zpsaa6b2c2b.jpg

Guest rintintintin

HAHAHA! thanks for the mentions gals! Although I miss him so badly.... Don't worry, Pirates will be in our hands soon... I'm waiting for the trailer to release and I keep crossing my fingers that his character will not died again... I know it will be the outcome but please! :P So busy as a Barista in a coffee shop so no time to post but still, I'm looking on his thread when I had time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

7197710dgw1efexssw3eej20g40jewhn.jpg7197710dgw1efexsxnuxrj20fk0qojv6.jpg

Reporter: How do you feel about the "Rising Actor of Asia" award?

KNG: I don't know if I'm qualify for this award, but I hope in the future I can act good to repay everyone.
Reporter: Have you notice or do you like any Asian actor? Do you want to do Hong Kong movie?
KNG: I like Leslie Cheung a lot, I still like his "Days of Being Wild", also Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Hong Kong movie "A Better Tomorrow" by director John Woo. Hong Kong martial arts movies are well known overseas, especially I like "Red Cliff" and "Three Kingdoms" film series, in addition, also like comical movies starring Stephen Chow, if I have the opportunity I would like to try martial arts movie.
Reporter: In "Bad Guy" is the character's personality very different than your own personality?
KNG: Yes, my own personality is cheerful, humorous, there was a big difference to portray the character in "Bad Guy", therefore, it was a big pressure when I portrayed it, however, last July I starred in another movie "Pirates" which will release soon, this time I portrayed a cheerful character, closer to the real me.
Reporter: From "Bad Buy", "Shark" and "Queen Seondeok"and many other dramas, which one is your favorite?
KNG: My favorite is "Bad Guy", because I am not like that character in real life, it was good to try to be a bad guy.
Reporter: Have you seen the recent popular drama "My Love from the Star"? If have the opportunity which role would you like to play in "My Love from the Star"?
KNG: I have seen it, if I have the opportunity I would like to try Jun Ji Hyun's character "Cheon Song Yi", I feel she's not afraid to show her emotions, did well in the love parts, is a very interesting role.
Reporter: Which part of your body are you most satisfy? Often with long hair and mustache, do you think it particularly suit you?
KNG: Most satisfy with my butt, because it's firm. (not sure if it's the right word. lost in translation) Long hair and mustache to accommodate the character's needs, I feel this image can differentiate with other Korean actors, but after done filming "Pirates" I shaved the mustache.
Reporter: You launched an album "Roman" before, do you have confidence with your singing skill?
KNG: To say have confidence, let say I like to sing a lot, I like to sing karaoke to relieve stress, but I mostly sing 80's and 90's old songs.
Reporter: Do you have favorite Korean singer group?
KNG: Korean boy group Big Bang and girl group 2NE1.
Reporter: Your early movie "No Regret" portrayed a gay man, you had passionate scenes with the other actor, next movie "Portrait of a Beauty" had passionate scenes with the actress, which one do you feel is harder?
KNG: It is harder to have passionate scenes with actress, because with actor you don't have to care too much, will have less pressure, have to be careful with actress when filming passionate scenes, can't be too close.
Reporter: If the story needs to, are you acceptable to go nude? Do you have confidence with your body?
KNG: Of course I can, as long as the story needs to, if necessary right now I can undress. I'm not particularly confidence with my body, but I do sports, such as yoga and soccer, also I participate the entertainment circle's star soccer team.
Reporter: In 2010, you served two years of military service, were you afraid that you will lose fans?
KNG: Indeed I worried, during the military period the most difficult was not able to see fans, also I did not know after I release from service, will I lose many fans along, I was fortunate to shoot "Bad Guy" and after release, shoot "Shark" got many Asian fans love it, made me more appreciate for the acting opportunity.
Parents give up on rushing me to get married33 years old Kim Nam Gil and 32 years old actress Son Ye Jin first collaborated in drama "Shark" and new movie "Pirates" started rumor, during the interview he replied their rumor, said that they are just very close, in drama acting intimate, in reality when with each other and a little intimate will start rumor.
He also revealed his ideal type, he likes broad-minded women. When asked if he has any plan for marriage? He said with a smile if he meet his ideal woman he will get married as soon as possible, but it is hard for actors to get married early, when he sees his friends already have kids, he will envy them having a happy family, but said with a smile his parents already give up on rushing him to get married.
http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/entertainment/20140413/00282_052.html

* rough translation, read for fun

Morning/evening fellow KNG fans :-h

I'm here cuz two weeks ago or so, I discovered there is this fair Korean actor called Kim Namgil in our world -- I know I know..shame on me.....but on the other hand, I'm happy I only knew he existed post the stache phase in his overly amazing life ;)) for I love his looks now best. (His Japanese mag pics are so fine! as well as his smexy appearance on China's Art Awards :x) Also, I wonder if I could've survived the 3 years wait while he was at the army, producing Ensemble and so.... I'd say...2014 is a good time to discover KNG's awesomeness ;;)

During that period of two weeks I mentioned, I marathoned Bad Guy and Shark back to back withing 6 days. At start, I didn't know who most of the actors were. I was out of dramas to watch and my sister had a few on her drive so I very randomly decided to watch this one called Bad Guy. It left me with so much agony, I was annoyed with myself for being that annoyed over a freakn drama XD  Thus I looked up the actor who got to me that badly to learn his name (now my new bias Kim Namgil-ssi XD) and that he has another revenge drama out, Shark. How could I not watch that? I had to get some compensation for Bad Guy. So I watched it and I'm so happy I did. It replaced the bitter taste Bad Guy left in my mouth with its semi-perfectly knitted plot which, as I later discovered, had been cooked/planned for 5 long years. Moral of this story? Always watch random dramas on your donsings's drives, you never know what gates of awesomeness that may open upon you :P Will be back,hopefully, with my two cents on both shows when those many jumbled ideas I have about them settle a lil bit cuz I have relatively much to say especially regarding his role in Shark; The legend of Orpheus :)

Thank you @LoVe Cartier @Lyrayoo @firstkmovie @rintintintin @sunshine4ever for keeping us updated. My solo news hunt sprees elsewhere had proved less rich so thank ya very much guys :x Great job with the title post too. :)

@irilight I think this is my second time meeting ya around soompi's actors thread. (?) I salute your good eye for asian hoties,lol. :P I'm on a QS marathoning mission too. I need to mentally prep cuz I'm so not into historical and, oh my, 60+ episodes :(( Surely need serious prep >.<
LoVe Cartier said:
Reporter: Which part of your body are you most satisfy? Often with long hair and mustache, do you think it particularly suit you?
KNG: Most satisfy with my butt, because it's firm. (not sure if it's the right word. lost in translation) Long hair and mustache to accommodate the character's needs, I feel this image can differentiate with other Korean actors, but after done filming "Pirates" I shaved the mustache.

Parents give up on rushing me to get married33 years old Kim Nam Gil and 32 years old actress Son Ye Jin first collaborated in drama "Shark" and new movie "Pirates" started rumor, during the interview he replied their rumor, said that they are just very close, in drama acting intimate, in reality when with each other and a little intimate will start rumor.
He also revealed his ideal type, he likes broad-minded women. When asked if he has any plan for marriage? He said with a smile if he meet his ideal woman he will get married as soon as possible, but it is hard for actors to get married early, when he sees his friends already have kids, he will envy them having a happy family, but said with a smile his parents already give up on rushing him to get married.
* rough translation, read for fun