Lee Jung Hyun 이정현

Admin

August 17, 2015

'Alice in Earnestland' shakes box office

Source: The Korea Times

movie_image-450(1).jpg

The low-budget Korean black comedy "Alice in Earnestland" is attracting theatergoers, entering the top 10 films at the box office.

The critically acclaimed movie, which cost 200 million won to make, sold more than 11,000 tickets over the last weekend after opening on Friday, the Korean Film Council said.

Starring singer and actress Lee Jung-hyun, the movie is about a woman dedicated to living honestly as she tries to escape poverty, but encounters enemies.

She discards her honesty and adapts a cold-blooded approach to overcome her threats and take revenge on whoever is responsible for her debt-ridden life.

aoshima11@ktimes.com,

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 20, 2015

Indie film ‘Alice in Earnestland’ proves successful

wjwch620150818132448_P_03_C_1.jpg

Indie film “Alice in Earnestland” recorded over 25,000 admissions in the week following its release, proving a fast success for a film with a production cost of a mere 200 million won ($170,000). 

Its plot follows the comic tragedy of hardworking heroine Soonam, whose trust in earnestness and happiness is ungraciously thwarted.

In her disillusioned state, Soonam devises drastic measures, which some critics describe as cathartic, to put a stop to her hardships. The movie is rated R. 

“Alice in Earnestland” released nationwide on Aug. 13, breaking the 10,000-viewer mark within three days and the 20,000 mark in five days.

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

August 26, 2015

ALICE IN EARNESTLAND Hits 30,000 Admissions Mark
The KAFA Product Took Six Days to Cross the 20,000 Admissions Point and Now Stands on 33,355 Admissions

by Kobiz Reporter

KhuWwcegpYbdsLkfQOIO.png

Director AHN Gooc-jin's sarcastic comedy drama Alice In Earnestland passed the 30,000 admissions mark. The admissions record is a rare score for an R-rated indie product with a notably low budget.

Alice took eleventh place in the weekend box office chart, earning $49,435 from 6,895 admissions between Friday and Sunday. After two weekends on debut, Alice In Earnestland has so far made $227,942 from 33,355 admissions.

Another small-sized independent film A Midsummer's Fantasia that opened on 11 June amassed 34,964 admissions after eleven weeks' theatrical run. It is expected that Alice In Earnestland will break A Midsummer's Fantasia’s record soon. 

Alice In Earnestland is a comedy drama about a poor woman Soo-nam (played by LEE Jung-hyun) who struggles to pay for her vegetative husband's care. Director AHN studied filmmaking at the Korean Film Council (KOFIC)'s Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA), which also handled the production of his feature debut Alice In Earnestland.

Alice In Earnestland has drawn the public audience’s attention thanks to actress LEE Jung-hyun’s performance. Though better known as a K-pop icon, LEE originally debuted as a teenage actress in helmer JANG Sun-woo’s movie A Petal, in 1996. LEE’s performance in Alice In Earnestland is known to be shockingly overwhelming. Director AHN has praised LEE's acting and mentioned that Alice In Earnestland would not have become what it is if it were not for LEE's performance. 

It is known that Old Boy director PARK Chan-wook helped AHN cast LEE for Soo-nam's role, which LEE's agency initially turned down. “I would always wish to watch and—or—make more of these films, but it isn't easy. While reading the script, I could not think of anyone else but LEE for the role. Who else would be able to express such twisted humors in Alice In Earnestland?”

Before it went on cinema, Alice In Earnestland has also received amicable reviews during its festival run: the Jeonju International Film Festival presented it the Grand Prize in the Korean Competition, and afterwards the film went to the Shanghai International Film Festival’s Panorama section.

September 2, 2015

'Alice In Earnestland' invited to Vancouver film fest

SEOUL, Sept. 3 (Yonhap) -- "Alice in Earnestland," a local film starring singer-actress Lee Jung-hyun, has secured an invitation to the Vancouver International Film Festival, the film's local distributor said Thursday.

The movie will compete in the "Dragons & Tigers" section for introducing the most exciting new cinematic talents from East Asia to the world during the 34th edition of the annual festival scheduled for Sept. 24 to Oct. 9.

Vancouver is one of the largest film festivals in North America.

Directed by Ahn Gooc-jin, "Alice" has collected 41,679 admissions, a fairly good record for an arthouse film, since it opened in local theaters on July 13. The black comedy follows a poor working woman who takes revenge on the world.

AEN20150903003700315_01_i.jpg

A poster of the Korean film "Alice In Earnestland," which was invited to the 34th Vancouver International Film Festival set to open Sept. 24-Oct. 9, 2015 (Yonhap) 

sshim@yna.co.kr

• 1 month later...

October 28, 2015

Lee Jung Hyun, the True ‘Alice in Faithful Land’

Source: BNTNews

c5h37lekc9rq7j80xhsiziiyrb4gjvkl.jpg

[by Jang Soo Jung, translated by Woorim Ahn] Actress and singer Lee Jung Hyun disclosed her pictorial with bnt world. 

Through the photos, she showed a casual look to highlight her lovely charm, had on an all-black office look to make her chicness and digested a dress to appeal her mysterious charms. She showed her various charms as an all-around entertainer for the pictorial. 

In particular, she digested red halter-neck dress and baby pink backless dress at the same time to highlight her makeup and showed her charms. Moreover, her active attitudes and her care for the staff were the biggest reasons to make a high-completion degree pictorial. 

During the interview session, she said, “I deeply empathize what Choo Ja Hyun and Park Hae Jin went through to make such successes in China. It is important to respect the both countries’ cultures to make activities in both” about K-wave in China. 

She also mentioned about director Park Chan Wook, who is known as her mentor, “I really appreciated him for giving me an offer for his film ‘Night Fishing’. The reason why I got to join movies ‘The Admiral: Roaring Currents’ and ‘Alice in Faithful Land’ was because of him as well” and showed her respect for him. 

In addition, she added, “Rather than feeling burdened, I really enjoyed filming MBC ‘Infinite Challge: Saturday Saturday Singers’. I feel so thankful to Yoo Jae Suk who helped me appear in the program” as the leader of ‘back to the 90s’ in 2015. 

She said about her latter works, “I really want to work with director Bong Jun Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Yoo Ah In, Song Kang Ho, and Ha Jung Woo.”

Meanwhile, Lee Jung Hyun is currently attending film festivals in Taiwan, Canada, and Sweden for ‘Alice in Faithful Land’ and reviewing her work in China. (photo by bntnews DB)

ui1zid2dob1fxhaptrrc5ta6m3mn743r.jpg

October 28, 2015

Lee Jung Hyun, “I really want to work with Kim Soo Hyun and Yoo Ah In”

ydvkkd8nfffl9s5pqwp6nbul7bysjr58.jpg

[by Jang Soo Jung, translated by Woorim Ahn] Actress and singer Lee Jung Hyun disclosed her pictorial with bnt world.

Through the photos, she showed a casual look to highlight her lovely charm, had on an all-black office look to make her chicness and digested a dress to appeal her mysterious charms. She showed her various charms as an all-around entertainer for the pictorial.

In particular, she digested red halter-neck dress and baby pink backless dress at the same time to highlight her makeup and showed her charms. Moreover, her active attitudes and her care for the staff were the biggest reasons to make a high-completion degree pictorial.

During the interview session, she said, “I deeply empathize what Choo Ja Hyun and Park Hae Jin went through to make such successes in China. It is important to respect the both countries’ cultures to make activities in both” about K-wave in China.

She also mentioned about director Park Chan Wook, who is known as her mentor, “I really appreciated him for giving me an offer for his film ‘Night Fishing’. The reason why I got to join movies ‘The Admiral: Roaring Currents’ and ‘Alice in Faithful Land’ was because of him as well” and showed her respect for him.

In addition, she added, “Rather than feeling burdened, I really enjoyed filming MBC ‘Infinite Challge: Saturday Saturday Singers’. I feel so thankful to Yoo Jae Suk who helped me appear in the program” as the leader of ‘back to the 90s’ in 2015.

She said about her latter works, “I really want to work with director Bong Jun Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Yoo Ah In, Song Kang Ho, and Ha Jung Woo.”

Meanwhile, Lee Jung Hyun is currently attending film festivals in Taiwan, Canada, and Sweden for ‘Alice in Faithful Land’ and reviewing her work in China. (photo by bntnews DB)

November 2, 2015

Stockholm IFF Takes 5 from Korea
Eclectic Korean Fare on Show in Sweden

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

tLTVElnXeOffDIetQMrD.png 

The Stockholm International Film Festival will host five films from Korea when its 26th edition takes place from November 11th to the 22nd. Four feature titles from the Far East filmmaking powerhouse will be found in the event’s Asian Images program, while another is invited to the Short Film Competition section.

The selection includes AHN Gooc-jin’s debut work Alice In Earnestland, which was made at the Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA) and debuted at the Jeonju International Film Festival earlier this year, where it earned the Grand Prize in the Korean Competition. The title went on to screen at the Warsaw, Shanghai, Vancouver and Taipei Golden Horse International Film Festivals.

Joining it is the high concept melodrama The Beauty Inside, another first feature from director BAIK featuring HAN Hyo-joo and a host of other stars all playing the same character. Released in late August, the film proved successful in Korea, drawing 2.05 million spectators (USD 14.12 million) to theaters.

YOO Ha’s period gangster tale Gangnam Blues, starring LEE Min-ho, is also on the program, following its recent invitations to the Fantasia International Film Festival and Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival.

In the wake of its Cannes debut in the Un Certain Regard program, SHIN Su-won’s third feature Madonna continues its strong festival run, which has included stops at the Rio de Janeiro, Hawaii, BFI London and Busan International Film Festival.

KIM Yun-ha’s Sniper's Observation Method, which earned the Best Short Film Award from the Moscow International Film Festival during the summer and also screened at the Los Angeles Pacific Film Festival, will compete in the Shorts Competition.

• 3 weeks later...

November 25, 2015

Who will smile at Blue Dragon Awards?

The 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards, one of the major film award ceremonies in South Korea, will see 2015’s hit films contend for the top prizes on Thursday. 

Song Kang-ho, Yoo Ah-in, Jung Jae-young, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jung-min (OSEN)

Other annual awards include May’s Paeksang Arts Awards and November’s Korean Association of Film Critics Awards and Daejong Awards.

For the upcoming event, films “Ode to My Father,” “The Classified File,” “Assassination,” “Veteran” and “The Throne” were nominated for the Best Film Award.

“Assassination,” directed by Choi Dong-hoon and Caper Films production, drew attention this time as it boasts the highest number of cross-field nominations ? best film, director, main actor, main actress, supporting actor, filming, technique, script and more ? which came to a total of 12 nominees across 11 categories. 

“Veteran” was listed in 10 categories, “The Throne” in nine and “Ode to My Father” in eight.

The directors of the films -- Choi Dong-hoon of “Assassination,” Ryu Seung-wan of “Veteran,” Gwak Gyung-taek of “The Classified File,” Lee Joon-ik of “The Throne” and Yoon Je-kyoon of “Ode to My Father”-- will vie for the Best Director award. 

Both Best Film and Best Director awards from the 52nd Daejong Awards on Sunday had gone to “Ode to My Father,” while “The Throne” took the Best Film title and Ryu Seung-wan of “Veteran” the Best Director honor at the 35th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards last week. 

The industry is keenly watching whether “Assassination” will be able to match its rivals at the Blue Dragon Awards. 

In the best actor category, Song Kang-ho and Yoo Ah-in, who were father and son in “The Throne,” will contend for the trophy. Lee Jung-jae from “Assassination” and Jung Jae-young of “Right now, Wrong then” and Hwang Jung-min of “Veteran” are also nominees for the prize. 

Hwang had won the equivalent award at the Daejong Awards, Jung at KAFCA and Lee at the Buil Film Awards held Oct. 2. 

In the best actress category, Kim Hye-soo of “Coin Locker Girl,” Lee Jung-hyun of “Alice in Earnestland,” Jun Do-yeon of “The Shameless,” Jun Ji-hyun of “Assassination” and Han Hyo-joo of “Beauty Inside” were nominated. 

Jun won the honor at Daejong, Kim at KAFCA and Jun at the Buil Awards. 

Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-hyun, Jun Ji-hyun, Jun Do-yeon and Han Hyo-joo (OSEN)

In the supporting actor category, Bae Sung-woo from “Office,” Yoo Hae-jin from “Veteran,” Jo Jin-woong from “Assassination,” Oh Dal-su from “Ode to My Father” and Lee Kyung-young from “Minority Opinion” were nominated. 

Oh won at the Daejong Awards and Lee in the Buil Awards. The two costarred in “Assassination.” 

In the supporting actress category, Moon Jung-hee of “Cart,” Jun Hye-jin of “The Throne,” Ra Mi-ran of “Ode to My Father,” Jang Young-nam of “The Classified File” and Jin Kyung of “Veteran” were nominated. 

Moon holds the trophy from the Buil Awards.

Lastly in the newcomer actor category, Park Seo-joon from “The Chronicle of Evil,” Lee Min-ho from “Gangnam Blues,” Kang Ha-neul from “Twenty,” Byun Yo-han from “Social Phobia” and Choi Woo-shik from “Set Me Free” were nominated.

The according prizes had gone to Lee Min-ho at Daejong Awards, Choi Woo-shik at KAFCA and Byun Yo-han at Buil Awards. 

For the newcomer actress category, Gwon So-hyun of “Madonna,” Lee Yoo-young of “Late Spring,” Park So-dam of “The Silenced,” Seolhyun of “Gangnam Blues” and Lee Yu-bi of “Twenty” were nominated. 

Gwon won the award at KAFCA, while Lee of “Late Spring” won at both the Buil and Daejong awards. However, for the Blue Dragon Awards, Lee was nominated for her other work, “The Treacherous.”

Winners will be announced for 18 categories. The decision will be based on the combined data from surveys carried out among film industry experts on movies released between Nov. 1, 2014, and Oct. 8, 2015. An online public poll will also be taken into consideration. 

The trophy-holders will be crowned on Thursday at the 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards to be held at Seoul’s Kyung Hee University. 

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

Best Actress Lee Jeong-hyeon in tears, "Such a small movie..."

photo658317.jpg

Actress Lee Jeong-hyeon won the Best Actress which resulted in tears of joy.

The 36th Blue Dragon Awards was held on the 26th.

Candidates for Best Actress were Jeon Do-yeonLee Jeong-hyeonKim Hye-sooJeon Ji-hyeon andHan Hyo-joo.

Lee Jeong-hyeon showed tears as she held her trophy. She said, "I didn't think for a second that I'd get it because my competition were so strong and it's such a small movie".

"I wanted to come and enjoy the awards but I am so grateful for this award. Thank you, producer Park Chan-wook. I hope this is a chance for various movies to be made in Korea for the development of Korean movies".

Meanwhile, 21 Korean movies were nominated for the awards this year. "The Assassination" was voted for 11 categories, which makes it the most nominated movies this year. "Veteran" was nominated for 10 categories, "The Throne" for 9 and "Ode to My Father" for 8.

photo658311.jpg

via HanCinema

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUB9zGX3yeY 

cr: Let's Go To My Star YouTube

November 27, 2015

Stars Come Together for Annual Blue Dragon Awards

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Top actors and actresses gathered for this year's Blue Dragon Awards on Thursday, after shunning the Daejong Film Awards, one of the most prestigious film awards, last week in a suspiciously coordinated boycott to protest organizers' poor management and lack of transparency.

The brightest stars were Yoo Ah-in and Lee Jung-hyun, who took the best actor and actress awards for their roles in "The Throne" and "Alice in Earnestland."

2015112701507_0.jpg

"I think I'm ill-suited for this kind of stage... I still can't believe this [award] is mine," Yoo said in his acceptance speech. 

"I believe I'm here today thanks to all the love and support from the audience," said Lee, who eventually got through an emotional speech after bursting into tears behind the podium.

"I never thought I stood a chance because it was such a small-scale indie film and the other nominees are such great actresses. It's been almost 20 years since I was first recognized as an actress with 'A Petal' in 1996, and won the best new actress award," she said. 

The indie film "Alice in Earnestland" -- which tells with the story of a poor woman who lives a life devoid of hope as she struggles to keep up payments to the hospital that cares for her husband, who is in a vegetative state -- drew about 43,000 moviegoers.

"The Assassination," which depicts Korean independence fighters' struggle against Japanese colonial rule in the 1930s, won the best film award.

Oh Dal-su (for "Ode to My Father") and Jun Hye-jin (for "The Throne") won the best supporting actor and actress awards.

So far this year, three Korean films have drawn over 10 million viewers -- "Ode to My Father" (14.26 million), "Veteran" (13.41 million) and "The Assassination" (12.7 million). 

Domestic films attracted 98.52 million viewers as of Wednesday this year, and are on course to surpass the 100 million mark for a fourth consecutive year.

November 27, 2015

Who are the winners of 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards?

The 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards, one of the major film award ceremonies in Korea, was held at Grand Peace Palace at Kyung Hee University in Seoul on Thursday. 

(OSEN)

Despite the chilly weather with snow flurries, celebrities dazzled on the red carpet and in front of the photo wall ahead of the event. The Best Film Award went to “Assassination,” a major box office hit this year, while Yoo Ah-in and Lee Jung-hyun grabbed the spot for the best actor and best actress category, respectively. 

“Even now, this prize feels unfamiliar to me,” Yoo was quoted as saying. “Thanks to all the love people gave toward the film ‘Assassination’ and ‘The Throne,’ I could stand here and receive this honor of an award.”

“Rather than moments filled with happiness and pride, there were many moments filled with embarrassment and bashfulness. I will continue my career as an actor who grows based on continuous self-reflection,” added Yoo, who received a warm hug from “The Throne” costar Song Kang-ho, while getting down from the stage.

Lee, the protagonist in film “Alice in Earnestland,” shed tears after her name was called. “I didn’t expect to be selected for this award due to a series of outstanding and skilled senior actress candidates. I’m really thankful for the award,” she said. 

The Supporting Actor Award was presented to Oh Dal-su of “Ode to My Father” and the Supporting Actress Award went to Jun Hye-jin of “The Throne.” The Newcomer Actor Award was given to Choi Woo-shik of “Set Me Free” and the Newcomer Actress Award went to Lee Yoo-young of “The Treacherous.”

In total, awards in 18 categories were handed out during the night, which also included awards for best cinematography, technical skill, screenplay, director and editing. 

The Blue Dragon Film Awards kicked were first held in 1963, aiming for the greater development of high quality Korean movies.

By Kim Yu-jin (kimyujin@heraldcorp.com)

November 27, 2015

Lee Jung-hyun in Stunning White Gown at ‘The 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards’

o04seuwusq34k43f210xpfvdw3jeb3wp.jpg

[by Hwang Ji Eun, translated by Yoonjung Yi] On November 26, ‘The 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards’ was held at Kyung Hee University Hall of Peace in Seoul.

‘The Blue Dragon Film Awards’, after being first held in 1963, contributed to the development of Korea’s film industry and established itself as the most trusted awards to filmmakers and movie fans in Korea. 

Meanwhile, ‘The Blue Dragon Film Awards’ gather Netizen’s votes and movie critiques’ opinions and select nominees and movie candidates. Then, the judge committee members, carefully selected by execution committee, revise the finalists for ‘The Blue Dragon Film Awards’. (photo by bntnews DB)

November 27, 2015

Blue Dragon Awards win 'no bias' praise

Source: The Korea Times

Untitled-13-650.jpg

Yoo Ah-in, left, from "The Throne" and Lee Jung-hyun from "Alice in Earnestland"

The Blue Dragon Awards, Korea's traditional movie awards since 1963, have been praised for doling out gongs fairly without bias to movies that recorded strong ticket sales.

The event was held Thursday night at Kyung Hee University and awards were presented in 18 categories.

Among the winners were the "big three" Korean blockbusters this year -- "Ode to My Father," "Veteran" and "Assassination" -- and non-blockbusters like "Alice in Earnestland," "Minority Opinion," "Set Me Free" and "The Treacherous."

The biggest surprise at the 36th event was Lee Jung-hyun from low-budget film "Alice in Earnestland" grabbing the Best Actress Award from five nominees, including hallyu megastar Jun Ji-hyun from "Assassination" and veteran actress Kim Hye-soo from "Coin Locker Girl."

Choi Woo-shik won the Best New Actor Award for "Set Me Free" and actress Lee Yoo Young Best New Actress for "The Treacherous." Both movies failed to excite at the box office.

Best Screenplay went to director Kim Sung-jae and screenwriter Son Ah-ram for "Minority Opinion"

The blockbusters also shared the honors of Best Picture ("Assassination"), Best Director (Ryu Seung-wan, "Veteran") and Best Actor (Yoo Ah-in, "The Throne"). 

aoshima11@ktimes.com

November 28, 2015

Top award for ‘Assassination’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

The espionage film “Assassination,” directed by Choi Dong-hun, received the top honor at the Blue Dragon Film Awards, which were held at the Hall of Peace at Kyung Hee University, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun District, central Seoul, on Thursday night.

“Assassination,” set in 1933 and featuring a stellar cast including Ha Jung-woo and Jun Ji-hyun, was released in July and has attracted more than 10 million moviegoers. 

The awards for Best Actor and Best Actress went to Yoo Ah-in (shown in photo) of the historical film “The Throne” and Lee Jung-hyun of “Alice in Earnestland,” respectively.

“The Throne,” the tale of King Yeongjo (1694-1776) and his son, Crown Prince Sado (1735-62), received four awards, including Best Supporting Actress and Best Original Score. 

“I promise I will keep evolving as an actor,” Yoo said during his acceptance speech.

It was a prolific year for Yoo because his other action flick, “Veteran,” was released in August and attracted more than 10 million moviegoers. 

Lee of “Alice in Earnestland” burst into tears as she made her acceptance speech. “I didn’t expect to receive an award because it was a low-budget film,” she said. 

“Alice in Earnestland” is a black comedy that traces the life of a working-class housewife who struggles to pay off her debts. 

Lee, who debuted as an actress in 1996 but later became a big-name singer in the early 2000s, received numerous awards when she performed as a singer, but this was her second film award since her acting debut. 

The Blue Dragon Film Awards are one of the country’s longest-running annual film awards. It was launched in 1963. 

By Sung So-young

December 3, 2015

Lee Jung-hyun on JTBC News Room

Son Suk-hee (left) and Lee Jung-hyun (JTBC, OSEN)

Singer-actress Lee Jung-hyun will be a guest on JTBC News Room, anchored by Son Suk-hee, on Thursday at 8 p.m. 

Lee debuted at the age of 16 in 1996 with the movie “A Petal,” where she plays a girl of 15 during the Gwangju uprising. She won the best new actress award at the Blue Dragon Film Awards for her role. 

After 19 years, she once again won the best actress award at the Blue Dragon Film Awards for the movie “Alice in Earnestland,” where she portrays the stressful lives of people in the modern competitive society. 

In JTBC News Room to be aired Thursday, Lee and Son will talk about her latest movie and more. 

By Lee Hye-won (hyewonlee@heraldcorp.com)

December 4, 2015

Lee Jung-hyun ‘didn’t expect award at all’

Actress Lee Jung-hyun, who won the Best Actress award from the Blue Dragon Awards, said on JTBC’s “News Room” that she didn’t expect the award at all. 

During the latest episode of JTBC’s flagship newscast “News Room,” the singer-turned-actress made a guest appearance and shared some behind-the-scenes stories about her low-budget movie “Alice In Earnestland.”

The presenter Sohn Suk-hee asked, “Yoo Ah-in’s award was predicted by many but frankly for you … did you expect it?” 

She replied, “I never expected it.”

The 35-year-old actress added, “During the first week of the release, only 59 theaters played the movie and the following week, the figure dropped to merely 30.”

“Still, it was touching many people came to Seoul to see the film,” she said. “Although the number of the audiences stood at 43,000, it is a large number for a low-budget movie.”

“I heard the 30,000 moviegoers for an independent film is equivalent to 10 million of a commercial movie,” she added. “I appreciate it.” 

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

Archived