Yu Yu Hakusho Discussion Thread - Old School

InSong

one of my favorite animes all time :)
Yuusuke is a 14 yr. old punk-richard simmons kid with a bad attitude. One day, he actually does something good, throwing the balance of his fate off the handle, dies, and has to earn his way back into existence. When that's over with, Koenma (Prince of the Underworld + in charge while King Enma is away) wants Yuusuke to become a (we'll just use the translated terms) Spiritual Detective + hunt out the bad guys of the Demon World (Makai) and ship 'em off to the Spiritual World (Reikai). Yuusuke is joined by local bully and cat-lover, Kuwabara Kazuma, (who has the 6th sense in training), Kurama (reincarnated Fox Demon aka Youko ) , and Hiei (cute, short, pissy fire demon). from AnimeNfo.com I love this anime. Favorite character is Raizen and Hiei how about you guys & girls.

Guest ~fantasygurl~

i'm first! hahaha

okay back to topic... i love this anime because there's so much suspense and lots of fighting!!!!!

but when keiko comes in everything just change all of a sudden

Guest instantnoodlez

didn't adult swim start airing this series again but it's like at 5:30 in the freakin' morning!! it's one of my favorites because i love action/adventure/fighting animes, good 'ole fashioned richard simmons-whoopings always makes me happy. (gratuitous gut-wrenching gore-fest!) the story is pretty interesting, battle tournaments for mankind, spirit/ghost hunting, although i smell cliche, but i think it's original for the most part in how it handles those elements. although there isn't a deep story/plot there, it's still awesome. fighting...lots of fighting.

what i don't like, the problem with any anime dealing with demons, is how they portray demons. the weaker demons look like monsters and are big stupid war-mongerers, while the strong ones take on human forms, which is contradictory since all strong evil demons wish to destroy mankind. while i love the kick-richard simmons characters, i have to complain about how cliche the set-up is. you got your bad-richard simmons punk who doesn't care about anything becoming the hero of the story (on a side note, who saw yusuke being part demon a mile away??); comic relief/not-as-important-main-character that provides non-existant competition to the main character;your emo, i hate-everything-and- i'm-going-to-kill-you-and-everyone-else character; a character that is oftentime resistant to combat though is very skilled, the brains behind the operation; and your emotional support female character(s) that are there to tone down the would-be blood, gore, and violence-fest and to be the voice of reason.

• 1 month later...
Guest prequality

Is it just me or did they "tame down" the animated version on Adult Swim?

Although the story hasn't been butchered (thankfully), one of the instances I find which differed from the original paperback/manga (dunno the word for it) was the very first episode of the anime which parallels the first edition of the paperback. At one instance where Yuusuke pops a chewing gum into his mouth during the animated series, in the manga I distinctly remember him smoking a cigarette.

I could be wrong, but I find that a lot of the mainstream English-dubbed anime films for export to english-speaking countries usually make small and almost-subtle changes that can be deducted by fans/readers/viewers who have seen the original Japanese versions. Usually they involve doctoring or watering down the more "adult" aspects of the original mangas and animes. One of the more famous instances was making one of the "gay" villians in the Sailormoon series into a woman for the English version.

But yeah, in the spirit of the thread, I'll have to give both my thumbs up for the Yuu-Yuu Hakusho series as a longtime fan :).

Guest Take Five

^that reminds me of how 4kids took out every possible offensive thing in One Piece for the dub. instead of sanji smoking cigarettes all the time, he sucks on lollipops...how lame.

Guest HKS457

1 of the first anime i watched when i was around 6-5. it was either this or DBZ, i forgot =p

go 幽遊白書~

Guest knockblock

Its okay but it got repetitive at times. Everything becomes an excuse to fight and the story wasn't that special. The action was good but not always. It gets anticlimatic. Sometimes the fights are lame and I didn't like how they end.

Guest I AM ON AWAY

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this anime! One of my all time favs alongside Kenshin and Evangelion. =) It DOES get a bit repetitive tho, and I remember it dragged like no other in some fight scenes... But overall I enjoyed this anime (+manga). I even liked the movie. I think there was more than one movie tho, right? I only watched one.

Hiei kicks richard simmons.

Guest disgruntled_ricecooker

Yu Yu Hakusho is what I would consider a guilty pleasure. I know the plot is nothing deep but I can't help but like it (despite the cliches you would find in other shounen titles). It's a shame that the author rushed the manga ending due to the pressure from deadlines.

Guest prequality

For some reason, I prefer the manga because it comes across as being less repetitive. I'd definitely recommend the manga over the animated series

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest EYJAYJAY

one of the best oldschool anime ever <3 the anime wasnt too bad, but i thought manga was much, much more interesting.

Archived