Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

October 5, 2015

Middle-aged actors rule mobile game ads

Source: The Korea Times

Untitled-2-450(53).jpg

Untitled-4-450(40).jpg

Untitled-6-450(29).jpg

Untitled-3-450(46).jpg

Untitled-7-450(21).jpg

Middle-aged Korean actors with top-class popularity are dominating the nation's mobile game ad market. From top are Cha Seung-won, Hwang Jung-min, Jung Woo-sung, Lee Jung-jae and Ha Jung-woo.

Korea's hottest actors in their 30s and 40s are dominating the nation's mobile game ad market.

Game developers like the actors' particular "seasoned machismo" image to target the biggest consumer group -- people in their 30s and 40s, according to Chosun Ilbo, Monday.

The actors being paid hundreds of millions of won include Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung-won, Lee Jung-jae, Ha Jung-woo, Hwang Jung-min. Each has appeared in ads for mobile role-playing games launched this year.

Cha, 45, was the model for "Raven" and Ha, 37, became the face of "Chrono Blade."

Hwang, 45, Lee, 42, and Jung, 42, each appeared for "Asker," "Ghost with Rocket" and "Nantoo," respectively.

Hollywood actor Lee Byung-hun, 45, featured for "Idea" and Jang Dong-gun, 43, for "MU Origin."

The report quoted an industry insider as saying that if ad agencies had used female singers from idol bands or actresses, the ads would not only appear to be lightweight and less credible but also would not appeal to women.

"Top actors in their 30s and 40s can attract both male and female consumers," the insider said.

The nation's mobile game ad market has grown from 400 million won ($340,000) in 2012 to 12.6 billion won ($10 million) in 2014 and 44.2 billion won ($37 million) from January to August this year, according to the report.

aoshima11@ktimes.com

October 6, 2015

[USA] "Veteran" passes $1M in North America. Becomes 3rd Most Watched Film in South Korea (12.34M Admissions) ***Free Tickets***

Source: Hancinema.net

photo640358.jpg

"Veteran", the South Korean crime thriller starring Yoo Ah-in and Hwang Jeong-min, that debuted at TIFF, passed the $1M mark yesterday. This past weekend was the film's third weekend in North American theaters. 

As of October 4th, "Veteran" has grossed $1,048,332. 

"Veteran" also hit another milestone yesterday – in South Korea, "Veteran" has surpassed James Cameron's sci-fi epic "Avatar" to become the third most watched film of all-time with 13.34 million admissions ($90.1M US Box Office). "Avatar" topped out at 13.30 million admissions during its run. 

Get free tickets

- 1 Pair of "Veteran" Tickets for New York Manhattan AMC Empire 25
- 2 Pairs of "Veteran" Tickets for CGV Cinemas Los Angeles (Orange County)
- 1 Pair of "Veteran" Tickets for DC Regal Fairfax Towne
- 2 Pairs of "Veteran" Tickets for Seattle AMC Alderwood, Alderwood Mall, Lynwood

- Only valid on weekdays (Mon-Thurs)
- Each ticket admits 2 people to "Veteran" movie – the ticket's only valid for Veteran showings. 

More information on the release : cj-entertainment.com/movies/150618-001/veteran

Contact us here : http://www.hancinema.net/message.php

October 7, 2015

'Veteran' exceeds US$1 million at North American box office

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 6 (Yonhap) - The Korean action film "Veteran" has earned over US$1 million in combined sales at the North American box office since it opened last month, the film's local distributor said Tuesday.

"Veteran made about $1,048,332 as of Sunday," CJ Entertainment America said. "The film is showing a strong presence even in the third week of opening."

Tickets for the film were sold out at the Los Angeles venue of the CJ CGV cinema chain over the weekend, according to the company.

"The movie's popularity continues in North America thanks to positive reviews from audiences and success in South Korea," the company said.

In South Korea, the film starring Hwang Jung-min and Yoo Ah-in became the third most-viewed Korean film of all time, drawing 13.34 million viewers through Tuesday, according to its South Korean distributor, CJ Entertainment.

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, the film is about an honest detective who takes on a pampered, sociopathic heir to a family-owned conglomerate.

Shown above are posters for the Korean action film "Veteran" (Yonhap)

Shown above are posters for the Korean action film "Veteran" (Yonhap) Shown above are posters for the Korean action film "Veteran" (Yonhap)

October 8, 2015

'The Throne' chosen as opening film for Hawaii fest

35thhiff.jpg Official website: HIFF.org

SEOUL, Oct. 8 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's period drama, "The Throne," has been chosen as the opening film for an upcoming international film festival in Hawaii, its distributor said Thursday.

The historical film directed by Lee Joon-ik will be screening on Nov. 12, the opening day of the 35th Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF) slated to run through Nov. 22, on the island of Oahu, according to Showbox.

"The Throne" depicts King Yeongjo during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), who locked his only son and crown prince Sado in a rice chest and starved him to death, deeming the heir in his 20s unfit to rule.

Starring veteran actor Song Kang-ho and rising star Yoo Ah-in, the historical work has drawn a constant stream of moviegoers, attracting more than 5.7 million at home as of Wednesday since its premiere in mid-September.

A handful of other South Korean films, including "Assassination," "Veteran" and "Madonna" will also be shown, with the festival to present a total of 181 films from 41 countries, according to the HIFF website.

graceoh@yna.co.kr

October 10, 2015

Movie ‘Ode to My Father’ introduces Korean history to U.S. college students

Source: The Dong-A Ilbo

teJSJhzMrQTaxgLcnppv.jpg

An event has started that introduces Korean history to U.S. college students by using “Ode to My Father,” a hit movie that describes moments of dynamic ups and downs in Korea’s modern history.

"The Hyundai Motor-KF Center for Korean History and Public Policy" at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington D.C., a think tank on U.S. Cold War history, held an event to present “Ode to My Father” and give lectures on Korean history jointly with the Washington office of the Korea Foundation at the University of Chicago on Thursday.

The event brought together more than 200 people, including students majoring in Korean language from four universities including the University of Chicago, Northwestern, Northeastern universities, and the University of Illinois at Chicago, and local residents.

After the movie showing, Prof. Gregg Brazinsky from the George Washington University gave a lecture on Korea’s modern history and Korea-U.S. relations. James Pearson, deputy director of the history and public policy program at the Woodrow Wilson Center, gave further explanations by showing diplomatic documents and photos that contain historical facts that were used as subjects in the movie, including deployment of Korean troops to the Vietnam War, Korean miners and nurses dispatched to East Germany, and reunions of separated families. The movie showing and lectures were followed by gugak (traditional Korean music) performance and a reception for tasting diverse traditional Korean foods.

The Woodrow Wilson Center, the Korea Foundation and other partners had a special showing of “Ode to My Father” at the U.S. Congress in Washington in June this year. Starting with the event in Chicago, the organizations will introduce Korean history to U.S. college students and residents by visiting different parts of the U.S., including a visit to the northwestern state of Montana in November.

“The movie `Ode to My Father` inform audience of the importance of the Korea-U.S. alliance, giving an overview of development of Korean politics, economy and society since the Korean War,” said Yoo Hyeon-seok, chairman of the Korea Foundation. “Educational events across the U.S. will provide Americans an opportunity to learn Korea and the importance of the Korea-U.S. alliance.”

October 4, 2015

"Queen of Cannes" Jeon Do-yeon, "I didn't want my act to be false"

Source: Segye via Hancinema.net

Actress Jeon Do-yeon spoke her mind about the nickname, 'Queen of Cannes'.

Jeon Do-yeon appeared at the Open Talk – Showing Interview on the 4th. Her movie "The Shameless" was nominated for the Panorama Section and appeared in various public appearances.

Jeon Do-yeon started off by saying, "I wasn't here at the BIFF as often as I thought. It's thrilling for me and I regret not being here before".

She took home the Best Actress for "Secret Sunshine" in 2007 at the Cannes International Film Festival and earned the title, 'Queen of Cannes'.

Jeon Do-yeon said, "It's very pressuring, the title. I wanted to overcome it but it was too much. I think this nickname will be with me for as long as I am an actress. I don't want to get rid of it but just accept it and do my best".

She continued, "I have received many awards so far. In the past I thought awards were given just by making a movie but now I know different. I don't make movies to get awards but I make movies to meet the audience. I always feel supported by those who cheer for me".

She was asked when she found it toughest yet and she said, "I had it rough the most during "Milyang". Director Lee Chang-dong asked me to show him the real thing but I didn't know what that was. So I felt resentful. If I was to make the movie again, it might become a different one".

Jeon Do-yeon has been acting non-stop. It's been 23 years since she's started acting. "I've always wanted to be an actress who can act until I'm old. I think I can". She also wants to be in black comedies and series movies. She even mentioned a possibility of reuniting with Hwang Jeong-min.

When she was asked what kind of an actress she wanted to be, she said, "I just want to be a good actress. I want to be a trustable one and not make my audience regret watching my movie".

Meanwhile, Jeon Do-yeon starred in the movie "The Shameless" as the woman of a murderer who falls in love with a detective. She took home the Best Actress at the 24th Buil Movie Awards.

October 13, 2015

The star-studded, A-list cast of 'Asura': Jeong Woo-seong, Hwang Jeong-min, Joo Ji-hoon, Jeong Man-sik, Kwak Do-won in script reading

Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net

photo643618.jpg
On October 13th, the script reading session of "Asura" has been posted on the official Facebook of CJ Entertainment.

The revealed photos show all of the main actors including Jeong Woo-seong Joo Ji-hoon Hwang Jeong-min, Jeong Man-sik and Kwak Do-won as well as director Kim Seong-su.

Jeong Woo-seong and Joo Ji-hoon show off their sculptor like faces with clear-cut features. Jeong Man-sik owns the space with his overwhelming charisma. In addition to all of these, Hwang Jeong-min and Kwak Do-won's comical pose adds more excitement to the highly anticipated movie, "Asura".

Among the six realms in Buddhism, Asura is the realm between Animal realm and Human Realm, where the endless wars and fights exist. Movie "Asura" tells the story of villains who fight to survive.

Hwang Jeong-min transforms into a villain, Park Seong-bae, an evil mayor, whose interests only lies in corruptions and irrational business opportunities. Joo Ji-hoon plays a detective Moon Seon-mo, who is attached to Han Do-gyeong like his real brother. Moon Seon-mo (Joo Ji-hoon) happens to work for Park Seong-bae after Han Do-gyeong orders him to do so.

Jeong Woo-seong has joined director Kim Seong-su again since 'Beat', 'There Is No Sun' and 'Musa'. Jeong Woo-seong plays Han Do-kyeong, a detective in serious crime unit, who is willing to do anything to survive and stands in the center of the storm between mayor Park Seong-bae and the prosecutors' office, who investigates the corrupted mayor.

photo643615.jpg

October 14, 2015

Teaser posters for ‘Himalaya’ revealed

(CJ Entertainment)

The teaser posters for a movie tentatively titled “Himalaya” were revealed Wednesday weeks ahead of its December release.

The movie captures the story of Um Hong-gil, a South Korean climber who led an expedition to the Himalayas mountain range, taking risks, trying to find the dead bodies of members of his previous expedition.

Actor Hwang Jung-min takes the lead role as Um Hong-gil. 

In the revealed poster, Hwang in a close-up stares ahead, his eyes watery with tears and smiles. On the right corner of the poster, the letters are written as, “Wait for us, we will certainly be there to get you,” stirring heartwarming sentiment.

(CJ Entertainment)

In another poster, Hwang appears with other members of expedition in a severe blizzard.

The exact date of release and the movie’s title has not yet been finalized.

By Lee Hye-won (hyewonlee@heraldcorp.com)

October 12, 2015

ASSASSINATION and VETERAN Sailing Abroad
Look to New Shores

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

CHOI Dong-hoon’s blockbuster hit Assassination, which has so far drawn over 12.3 million viewers (USD 80.35 million) released in Chinese theaters on September 17th.

The film is also coming off a successful North American run, where it grossed USD 1.85 million (as of September 13th) from 26 cities following its debut there on August 7th.

Starring Gianna JUN, HA Jung-woo and LEE Jung-jae, Assassination follows a band of Korean rebel fighters. Due to her role in the popular TV drama My Love from Another Star, which was an enormous hit in China, JUN is a big name in the mainland, which should help to boost the profile of Assassination.

RYOO Seung-wan’s Veteran looked to new shores as CJ Entertainment has confirmed its North American release for September 18th. Starring the red-hot HWANG Jung-min, who already crossed the ten million viewers mark earlier this year with Ode to My Father, Veteran tells the story of a detective who goes up against a malevolent corporate heir.

Veteran had its North American premiere on September 13th as part of the Vanguard section of the 40th Toronto International Film Festival. The film then debuted in US cities on the 18th. It will also screen in Canada.

October 19, 2015

East Asian film fest to kick off in London this month

A new film festival on East Asian works will be launched this month in London to introduce films from Asia to European viewers, its organizer said Monday. 

The initial edition of the London East Asian Film Festival will run from Oct. 23-25 in the British capital, featuring major titles from South Korea, China, Japan and Hong Kong, among others, according to the organizer.

(CJ Entertainment)

The upcoming event, initiated by Jeon Hye-jung, the former director of the London Korean Film Festival, will introduce "outstanding new films from the region to audiences in Europe by highlighting what East Asian cinema has achieved," the organizer said in a release. 

"We need to turn eyes to the British film market in order to further boost the Korean film industry. Now is the time to think of how to promote Korean films, as well as the Asian market as a whole," Jeon said, explaining what prompted her to launch the new event.

South Korea's action film "Veteran" was chosen to open the event, with the Chinese-Hong Kong action film "SPL2: A Time for Consequences" to close the festival. 

"A variety of events will also take place, such as one introducing Korean food," she said, adding the festival will have "bigger programs, including country and regional sections, horror and martial arts strands and retrospectives, together with a greater number of in-person events." (Yonhap)

October 21, 2015

'Veteran' Wins Award at Sitges Fest in Spain

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2015102100925_0.jpg

The crime flick "Veteran" won the Casa Asia Award at the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival. 

One of the world's three major festivals of fantastic cinema, the Sitges festival features action, horror and fantasy films. 

"Veteran" was invited to screen at the official competition section of the film fest that took place in Sitges, Spain for 10 days until Sunday, and won the best Asian film award. 

This is the second time director Ryoo Seung-wan won the honor after "The Unjust" in 2011.

Released here in August, "Veteran" attracted 13.4 million viewers and was invited to Sitges and the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

October 21, 2015

‘Veteran’ bags top award from Sitges Film Festival

(CJ Entertainment)

Korean crime-action movie “Veteran” bagged the “Casa Asia Award” at the 48th Sitges Film Festival, CJ Entertainment said Tuesday.

Director Ryoo Seung-wan expressed delight saying, “Comedy is usually a difficult genre to get across to foreign audiences. ‘Veteran’ social issues through a blend of comedy and action. I’m delighted it was chosen for the big award.” 

Ryoo had nabbed the same award in 2011 with the film “The Unjust,” starring “Veteran” lead actor Hwang Jung-min. 

“I want to share this honor with everyone who was involved in the production. I hope to return this gift with an even better film next time,” Ryoo said.

Sitges Film Festival is one of the three biggest film festivals dealing in action, horror and fantasy genres. This year’s event ran from Oct. 9-18. 

Another hit-film “Assassination” by director Choi Dong-hoon, released almost concurrently with “Veteran” in Korea, was also invited to the festival. 

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

October 22, 2015

[Los Angeles] CJ Entertainment Celebrates 20 Years of Korean Film History with Screenings November 5-7

photo645776.jpg

Conversations with Director Yoon Je-kyoon of "Ode to My Father" and Hwang Dong-hyeok of "Miss Granny" to follow screenings

Two special screenings of Bong Joon-ho films including premiere of Digitally remastered "Memories of Murder" and Rare showing of "Mother - 2009" in black and white.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Asia's leading studio CJ Entertainment, the signature film division of major media and content company CJ E&M. To commemorate this milestone, the studio will be rolling out some of the most beloved films in their library over the course of three days (November 5 – 7) at CGV Cinemas (621 Western Ave) in Los Angeles, providing a complete picture of CJ Entertainment's success as they close out their first two decades. Since 1995, CJ Entertainment has been at the forefront of the Korean entertainment industry and a catalyst for South Korea's industry presence globally.  

Two of Korea's most important and influential directors will be in attendance at the celebration: Yoon Je-kyoon director of "Ode to My Father", and Hwang Dong-hyeok, director of "Miss Granny". The esteemed directors will field questions from the audience following the screenings of their respective films. Yoon Je-kyoon's, "Ode to My Father", was the 2nd most watched Korean film and made among top 10 highest grossing foreign films in 2014 in North America. "Ode to my Father", the story of a man and his family whose epic life is intertwined with Korean history after escaping from the North will open the festival, and "Miss Granny", a quirky tale of an elderly woman who gets to relive being twenty years old again, will play on the closing night.

One of the festival highlights will be the newly remastered "Memories of Murder", the critically acclaimed psychological thriller from internationally renowned auteur Bong Joon-ho ("The Host", "Snowpiercer"). Festivalgoers who are fans of Director BONG are also in for a double treat as "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History" Presented by CJ Entertainment will offer them the rare opportunity to see the chilling mystery, "Mother - 2009" converted into black and white. This version has only been shown to the public a small handful of times before this festival.

Screening Schedule: "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History"

November 5
- 7:00 pm – "Ode to My Father" ** – Amid the time of Korean War, a young boy's vow to take care of his family marked the beginning of a lifelong promise spanning 60 years.
- 10:15 pm – "Haeundae" – An underwater earthquake triggers a tsunami that devastates a South Korean resort town.

November 6
- 5:00 pm – "Mother" (B/W) – A mother desperately searches for the killer who framed her son for a girl's horrific murder.
- 7:45 pm – "Thirst" - Through a failed medical experiment, a priest is stricken with vampirism and is forced to abandon his ascetic ways.
- 10:30 pm – "Masquerade" – Though it places his own life in danger, a look-alike commoner (Lee Byung-hun) secretly takes the place of a poisoned king to save his country from falling into chaos.

November 7
- 10:00 am – "The Unjust" – Three women fight for justice in three Asian countries despite threats of death.
- 12:30 am – "Memories of Murder" – Based on the true story of the Korea's first serial murder in history, which took place between 1986 and 1991 in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province. Song Kang-ho and KIM Sang-kyungstar as Detective Park and Detective Seo, respectively, two of the detectives trying to solve the crimes.
- 3:15 pm – "The Admiral: Roaring Currents" – In 1597, Korean Adm. Yi leads 12 warships into the Battle of Myeong-Nyang against the formidable Japanese navy.
- 5:50 pm – "Miss Granny" ** – An elderly woman (Nah Moon-hee) regains her youthful appearance, changes her name and embarks on a quest for happiness.

** Director will take the stage for a special Q&A session following the screening.

For more information on "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History" Presented by CJ Entertainment, please visit:www.cj-entertainment.com.

October 27, 2015

Lights, camera, action for London Korean Film Festival

Source: The Korea Times l The 10th London Korean Film Festival

The 10th London Korean Film Festival will be held in the U.K. capital from Nov.2 to Nov. 14.

A total of 52 Korean films will be shown at 10 major theaters.

Included are opening film "Ode to My Father" and hits "Veteran," "Roaring Currents" and "The Thieves."

Eight directors, including the renowned Youn Je-kyoun ("Ode to My Father"), and actors Hwang Jung-min and Moon So-ri will visit London for the festival.

Marking the event's 10th anniversary, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is set to award six individuals, including film critic Tony Rayns, for contributing to the festival's growth.

bkim@koreatimes.co.kr,

October 26, 2015

Jung Jae Young and Kim Hye Soo, Actor and Actress of the Year, "The Throne" crowned Best Movie

Source: Heraldcorp via Hancinema.net

photo647417.jpg

Actor Jeong Jae-yeong and actress Kim Hye-soo were chosen by movie critics as Best Actor and Actress of the Year.

According to the Korean Movie Critics Association, "Right Now, Wrong Then" star Jeong Jae-yeong and "Coin Locker Girl" star Kim Hye-soo were named the best of this year.

"The Throne" was crowned Best Movie of the Year and "Veteran" creator Ryoo Seung-wan received Best Director. Screenplay and Best Music also came from "The Throne" making it a triple winner.

The Best Rookie Director award goes to Kim Tae-yong-I from "Set Me Free" and Best Rookie Actor and Actress goes to Choi Woo-sik from "Set Me Free" and Kwon So-hyeon from "Madonna".

"The Assassination" takes the Best Filming and Best Technical award.

The Best Achievement goes to producer Jung Jin-woo from "Do Cuckoos Cry At Night" and "Mugoonghwa-Korean National Flower".

10 movies chosen by the critics include "Cart", "Ode to My Father", "Revivre", "Coin Locker Girl", "The Shameless", "Minority Opinion", "The Assassination", "Veteran", "The Throne" and "Right Now, Wrong Then".

The 35th Film Critics Awards will be held on the 16th of November.

October 27, 2015

"Himalaya" Hwang Jeong-min meets Jeong Woo

Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net

photo647458.jpg

National actor Hwang Jeong-min and skilled actor Jeong Woo are coming together in "Himalaya".

Hwang Jeong-min from the recent movies "Ode to My Father" and "Veteran", is coming back with "Himalaya" as Captain Eom Hong-gil who sets on a journey for a fellow climber who ends his life on the mountains. Jeong Woo plays Park Moo-taek, a junior climber who Eom Hong-gil tries to rescue until the very last moment.

photo647457.jpg

In the stills from the movie, the two actors are holding hands with the Himalayas in the background, showing deep trust for each other. Park Moo-taek is training himself with pushups with his daughter on his back and Eom Hong-gil is watching him with a proud smile on his face. In another still, Park Moo-taek is training on a climbing wall and Eom Hong-gil is pushing him to do harder with a broom in his hand.

In the picture of Hong-gil and Moo-taek spending the night hooked onto a cliff with ropes at the peak of Kanchenjunga, they are fighting the cold and drowsiness, supporting each other physically and mentally.

photo647456.jpg

Hwang Jeong-min and Jeong Woo have starred in the 2006 movie "Bloody Tie" before and they have come back together with "Himalaya". Hwang Jeong-min said, "We depended on each other a lot just like Eom Hong-gil and Park Moo-taek would have". Jeong Woo said, "Working with Hwang Jeong-min was a great experience for me. He's always considerate and helps me to concentrate".

"Himalaya" is coming out this December.

• 2 weeks later...

November 9, 2015

Stars of "The Himalayas"

Stars of

Leading actors, actresses and director staff of new film "The Himalayas" pose together at the movie's press event in Seoul on Nov. 9, 2015. The film is based on a true story about South Korean mountaineer Um Hong-gil who took to the Himalayas in 2005 to find the body of Park Moo-taek, who died while climbing Mt. Everest. (Yonhap) (END

Stars of

South Korean actors Hwang Jung-min (L) and Jung Woo, two leading stars of new film "The Himalayas," pose for photos at the movie's press event in Seoul on Nov. 9, 2015. The film is based on a true story about South Korean mountaineer Um Hong-gil who took to the Himalayas in 2005 to find the body of Park Moo-taek, who died while climbing Mt. Everest. (Yonhap) (END)

November 10, 2015

S. Korean actor Hwang Jung-min

S. Korean actor Hwang Jung-min

South Korean actor Hwang Jung-min, who stars in the new movie "The Himalayas," greets reporters during a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 9, 2015. The movie will be released in South Korea in December. (Yonhap) (END)

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2015111000579_0.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min attends a press junket for his new film in Seoul on Monday.

2015111000579_1.jpg

November 13, 2015

Hwang Jung-min, Lee Min-ho, Kang Ha-neul confirmed to attend the 52nd Grand Bell Awards (Daejong Film Awards)

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

photo654382.jpg

Hwang Jeong-min, Lee Min-ho, Kang Ha-neul have confirmed they would attend the 52nd Grand Bell Awards (Daejong Film Awards).

Grand Bell Awards has announced through the press release on November 13th ""Veteran" actor Hwang Jeong-min, 'Gangnam Blues' actor Lee Min-ho, and "Twenty" and "C'est Si Bon" actor Kang Ha-neul will attend the 52nd Blue Bell Awards, which will take place in Yeouido KBS Hall, Seoul on November 20th".

They also added, "Popular Chinese stars Gao Yuanyuan and Sun Honglei will also attend the ceremony to accept Best Actress and Best Actor awards in the international film section.

However, no more details were provided about whether or not they've cancelled the policy ruling out proxy acceptance of award, other than the list of actors whose attendance has been confirmed.

Prior to this, Grand Bell Awards said during the ambassador appointment ceremony and press conference on the 14th of last month, "Proxy acceptance is not suitable for a nationwide film awards. If the recipient would not be present, the award will be voided" and "will select two recipients for each section", which caused controversy.

The organization later announced, "Will distribute press release including the details on the no proxy acceptance policy on November 13th or 14th".

The 52nd Grand Bell Awards will be held in KBS Hall on November 20th and the ceremony will be broadcast live starting at 7:40 PM.

November 17, 2015

'Veteran’ actors Hwang Jung-min and Yoo Ah-in vie for Best Actor

Actors Hwang Jung-min and Yoo Ah-in, who played rival characters in the 10-million ticket-seller “Veteran,” will be rivals once again -- this time for Best Actor at the 52nd Grand Bell Awards, to be held Friday. 

A total of four actors were nominated by the event organizers for the Best Actor nod: Son Hyun-joo for “The Chronicles of Evil,” Ha Jung-woo for “Assassination,” and Hwang Jung-min for “Ode to My Father.” Yoo Ah-in was nominated for his roles in both “Veteran” and “The Throne.” 

Hwang Jung-min (left) and Yoo Ah-in (OSEN)

This year’s Grand Bell Awards will only crown the actors who are present at the event, making it impossible for representatives to run trophy errands. 

The organizers confirmed Hwang will attend, raising public speculation for his win.

In “Ode to My Father,” Hwang played Deok-soo, a single character embodying both a loyal son and a sacrificing father, whose life through Korea’s tumultuous modern times brought nostalgia and tears to viewers. The film garnered over 14 million ticket sales. 

Yoo, on the other hand, stormed cinemas with his roles as a pure-evil corporate scion in “Veteran” and the tragic crown prince starved to death by the king, his father, in “The Throne.” 

The winner of the award will be announced at the 52nd Grand Bell Awards at KBS Hall in Yeouido, Seoul on Friday. The ceremony will broadcast live from 7:20 p.m. on KBS2. 

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)