Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

April 10, 2013
Hwang Jung Min’s Performance Inspires Gdragon
Source: KDramaStars
In G-Dragon's first Star Column, he writes about his thoughts and experiences during his solo world tour. He also writes about what inspires him. One of those inspirations is the performance by actor Hwang Jung Min in the film "New World."
"I get many inspirations from movies," said G-Dragon. "Few days ago I watched the movie "New World."
Gdragon met the actor at the MAMA awards and they exchanged numbers. Because of busy schedules, they could not contact each other that often. However, Hwang invited Gdragon to his movie preview. G-Dragon had to watch the film at the theater because of scheduling conflicts but he really liked it.
"In return, I invited Hwang Jung Min sunbae (senior) to my concert and I'm very happy to hear that he enjoyed it," said G-Dragon in his column.
He was fascinated with the gangster character played by Hwang in the film and tried to explain that fascination by saying, "I don't really feel attracted to people who are cool and normal. Can I say this? I feel attracted to gangster-like things."
While he admits that some people might think his fascination with the underworld is weird, the singer said that, "On stage, I do gangster-like expressions and gestures without even knowing. Even when I watch movies, I like the bad guys and enjoy watching the stories where their character comes alive."There are plenty of bad guys in "New World, directed by Park Hoon Jong. The film, which also stars Lee Jung Jae and Choi Min Shik is a gangster crime drama, in which a police officer tried to infiltrate the mob. Hwang plays the second-in-command guy in a mob syndicate. Hwang has appeared in dozens of movies and theater productions, including musicals.
G-Dragon is not the only one who enjoyed his performance and the film. It was number one in the Korean box office for four weeks, with an audience of 350,000. The film was so popular that fans asked for a prequel.GO USA Entertainment picked up the film for US distribution. American reviewers cited its impeccable production values. According to one review on Examiner.com, the film "very slowly weaves its tale of corruption, power, and loyalty. It's an endurance test, albeit a gorgeous one, with a satisfactory payoff in the end."
The review also mentioned how stylish the gangsters were.
So, if you have any problems with G-Dragon looking and acting all "gangsta," part of the blame could go to Hwang Jung Min.
Source: Nate
01490895.jpg

April 2, 2013
Hwang Jeong-min in "When A Man Loves A Woman"
Source: Hankooki.com via Hancinema.net
yoyo201304022011440.jpg

Actor Hwang Jeong-min is working endlessly.
Hwang is starring in the movie "When A Man Loves A Woman" within this month. No contracts have been signed but it's most likely that he will. This is Hwang's first mellow in 6 years.
Hwang Jeong-min starred in the movie "The New World" released in February and is looking forward to the release of "Fist of Legend".

April 4, 2013
Han Hye Jin in "When A Man Loves A Woman" with Hwang Jung Min
Source: TV Daily via Hancinema.net
Actress Han Hye-jin has been cast for the movie "When A Man Loves A Woman".
Han Hye-jin takes on the role of Ho-jeong who opens up to the pure love of Tae-il who has lived his life as a third class gangster. The male role will be played by Hwang Jeong-min.
"When A Man Loves A Woman" is the second movie by Sanai Pictures which also produced the movie "The New World" and the debuting feature film of director Han Dong-wook who directed "The Unjust".
This is Han Hye-jin's first movie since the movie "26 Years". She successfully managed to draw in 3 million audiences last year so many have expectations on her.
Movie "When A Man Loves A Woman" starts filming this month.

April 15, 2013
Hollywood buys rights to remake ‘New World’
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Korean gangster film “New World” will have a Hollywood remake, according to the film’s Korean distributor Next Entertainment World.
NEW said it recently signed a deal with Vertigo Entertainment, a production company located in Beverly Hills, California, to create the remake. The thriller was released in North America in late March, following its Korean release in February.
Screenwriter Will Fetters, who is working on Clint Eastwood’s next project “A Star is Born,” will be writing the script, NEW said.
Vertigo Entertainment, run by Korean-American film producer Roy Lee, is also in charge of producing American remakes of Park Chan-wook’s famous 2003 thriller “Oldboy” and Na Hong-jin’s 2008 film “The Chaser.” 
The remake of “Oldboy,” directed by “Do the Right Thing” and “Love & Basketball” director Spike Lee, is scheduled to be released in North America in October of this year.
The second piece directed by noted screenwriter Park Hoon-jung (“I Saw the Devil,” “The Unjust”), “New World” is an engaging noir about a police detective (Lee Jung-jae) who conducts an undercover investigation into Gold Moon ― one of the biggest crime organizations in the country.

April 17, 2013
Hwang Jung-min is a jack of all trades
By Jung Hyun-mok, Jang Sung-ran Korea JoongAng Daily

17211814.jpg
Hwang Jung-min plays a middle-aged father who takes part in a boxing reality show to earn money for his troubled daughter in “Fist of Legend.” By Kim Kyung-bin
Actor Hwang Jung-min might not be a typical heartthrob. Rather than a glittering look, he has a friendly, familiar face - but he certainly knows how to use his next-door neighborly appearance to his advantage. Combined with his stunning acting abilities, Hwang is able to play a wide range of realistic characters convincingly.
There seems to be no limit to the kinds of roles the 43-year-old can take on. In 2005, he starred in the movie “A Bittersweet Life” as a ruthless boss of a gang and “You’re My Sunshine” as a naive country man who dedicates his life to his ill-fated lover. 
Since debuting in 1994, he has also drawn crowds to the box office for R-rated hits like “New World,” released in February, and “Fist of Legend,” released April 10. 
The film tells the story of three men who were once hailed as legends during their teenage years. Now middle aged, the three decide to appear on a reality television show and compete in a mixed martial arts tournament for 200 million won ($183,823).
Hwang plays one of the three fighters who runs a noodle shop to support his daughter. The single father, Lim Deok-kyu, once dreamt of being a boxing champion and summons up the courage to join the brutal fight. 
Q. Your action scenes are quite realistic. Did you do them yourself?
A. Yes, I couldn’t rely on stunt doubles to express detailed emotions in the fighting scenes. For me, attacking was much harder than defending, and the director stressed adding drama to the action. Before entering the ring, I even felt as if I had became a gladiator when the host called out my character’s name.
The movie also explores the worn-out character of three middle-aged men. 
My priority was to effectively tell the story of Deok-kyu, who has no choice but to take part in martial arts. While the three have their own stories, they are all worn out from their struggles. I think Deok-kyu and I share many common qualities compared to other characters I have played in the past. 
Deok-kyu looks more like a real-life character you can find next door compared to Jung-chung from the movie “New World.”
I always like characters that you can easily find in real life. So I prefer Young-su of “Happiness” (2007) over Suk-joong of “You’re My Sunshine” (2005). 
17211826.jpg
Hwang said that working on his abs was harder than playing the fighter. [JoongAng Ilbo]
Unlike Deok-kyu, you have been able to live your dream. 
I have devoted myself to acting for 10 years. Every time I got compliments, I used to push myself harder to get more praise. Still, I always arrive on set one hour in advance. But ever since I turned 40, I thought I needed to loosen up a little and focus on enjoying my work. The approach has helped me work with a relaxed mindset.
How were your teenage years in school?
I went to Gaywon High School of Arts. I was crazy about acting. I read Shakespeare and history books about art. I thought art was superior to academic study. Looking back, it was a little shameful. 
You know, I was also once beaten by a bully who learned boxing just like my character Deok-kyu. I wonder how he is doing these days. That curiosity attracted me to the script.
Are there any dreams you have not yet achieved?
Now that I am a father, I want to appear in a movie that I can watch with my son - by which I mean a movie for all audiences.
You will play another gangster in your next project “When a Man Loves.”
Yes, the gangster falls in love for the first time. Melodrama is my favorite genre. I have played a couple of gangsters, but I think I can portray different characteristics even if I have the same job. I don’t have any problem with playing a more nuanced version of the same role. 
You directed and appeared in the musical “Assassins” earlier this year. Do you have any plans to direct films?
Directing for theaters is way more difficult because it requires more attention to detail. I enjoy appearing in movies, ironically, because it demands delicate portrayals. 
And I also like starring in musicals. I can be more flexible onstage. I want to direct more musicals as it helps me improve my acting skills for movies. But I don’t have any plans to direct movies; I think the job is beyond my capabilities. 

April 22, 2013
Hwang Jung Min, Kim Yun Jin and Oh Dal Su Confirmed for ′International Market′
CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung Translation Credit : Erika Kim  
Hwang Jung Min, Kim Yun Jin and Oh Dal Su have confirmed they will be appearing in director Yun Je Gyun′s new piece International Market.
JK Films revealed on April 22 that "the three have been confirmed as leads and shooting will start in the latter half of the year."
About the film itself, a rep commented, "It′s going to be a touching story about how people lived through what happened after the Korean War up to now."
44387450.jpg

Director Yun Je Gyun, the man behind the hit film Haeundae, said, "International Market will be dedicated to our parents′ generation, who lived passionately through their turbulent and poor pasts."
Hwang Jung Min and Kim Yun Jin will appear as a married couple and act in roles that will progress from age 20 to 70 in the film.
The film is aiming for a premiere late 2014.
Photo credit: enews DB

April 22, 2013
Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yun-jin headline new movie
by girlfriday dramabeans.com l Nate
N2013042214072492001.jpg

The director of Haeundae is returning with his first film in four years — a drama called International Market, which is not the most exciting title on the block, but it’s scored Hwang Jung-min (Fist of Legend, Penninsula) and Kim Yun-jin (Neighbors, Lost) to star. They’ll play a married couple that we’ll watch go from their twenties into their seventies, as a way to chart the way the economy changed over the course of fifty years. It’s an interesting concept, and almost sounds like documentary material.
Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yun-jin star as two young sweethearts (and first loves, natch) who get married at a young age, and Oh Dal-soo (The Gift of Room 7) co-stars as Hwang Jung-min’s best friend. We’ll see the couple age as we catch up to the present day, and in the process watch the economy change with the tide. The actors will play their roles from twenty to seventy, which will be a fun thing to watch too.
Director Yoon Je-kyun was influenced by his parents’ generation and the harsh poverty they fought to overcome, saying that it was a story he’s been wanting to tell for some time. I like the idea of covering fifty years of history through the lens of one couple, because it remains personal. Even if the movie is technically about the economy, there’s an emotional hook there if we’re invested in their journey. Perhaps not action-packed on paper, but I do think it’ll make for an interesting movie.
International Market is planning for a release later this year.
Via Mk.co.kr

Source: KOBIZ
20130422_wbo_hjm.jpg
April 26, 2013
Hollywood blockbusters expected to sweep Korean box office
By Shim Sun-ah YonhapNews
SEOUL, April 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's film industry got tensed up Friday as official box-office data showed that the new Hollywood film "Iron Man 3" had a successful opening day by selling over 420,000 tickets in local theaters.
   Industry observers say the strength of Hollywood movies will continue for a while with a series of big-budget American films set to arrive in the country following the latest in the superhero trilogy. The movie opened in South Korea Thursday for the first time in the world.
   According to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) that tracks local box-office sales, the movie attracted an audience of 423,235 on the first day of its release, the highest opening-day tally this year.
   The figure is soon expected to break the 1-million mark as a large number of people have reserved tickets to see "Iron Man 3." As of 3 p.m., about 87.5 percent of the tickets reserved for the day at local theaters were for the action-packed blockbuster. 

The film focuses on human limits and frustrations suffered by Tony Stark/Iron Man (played by Robert Downey Jr.) trapped in the worst crisis of his life. It is being shown on 1,228 screens, which is 34.6 percent of all screens here.
   Korean films are expected to struggle to win audiences for a while as a number of other Hollywood blockbusters are waiting for their turns to impress their local fans.
   They include "Star Trek: Into Darkness," the sequel to the 2009 film "Star Trek: The Beginning"; "Man of Steel" directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan; and "After Earth," a sci-fi thriller starring real-life father and son Will and Jaden Smith.
   "Oblivion," a sci-fi film starring Tom Cruise that opened on April 11 in local theaters, sits in the second place of the KOFIC's monthly box-office list, drawing an audience of 1.33 million up until Thursday.
   On the contrary, the popularity of homegrown films slowed down this month after the industry saw local films draw a record-breaking number of moviegoers in the first quarter at 38.45 million.
   Among local films that opened this month, only two -- director Kang Woo-suk's new film "Fist of Legend" and "Running Man" starring Shin Ha-kyun -- have barely sold over 1.3 million won tickets, far below expectations.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/04/30/2013043001086.html & http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/04/30/2013043000061.html

Film Audiences Favor Grown-Up Experience

Ha Jung-woo and Kim Hye-soo have been voted the most popular actor and actress in Korea in a poll by the Chosun Ilbo and the country's biggest ticketing site Maxmovie. But Hwang Jung-min and Jeon Do-yeon were named as the best actor and actress.

20130430005460.jpg

◆ Mature Actors, Mature Audiences

Remarkably, most of the top 10 most popular actors and actresses are in their 30s to 50s, the only exception being Han Hyo-joo, who is in her 20s. The average age for male and female actors is 42.7 and 34.1.

Of the actors, only four are in their 30s, including Ha, Kang Dong-won and Won Bin. A large proportion of the entrants on the popularity list starred in hit movies over the past two years, but Won, Kang, Lee Na-young and Kim Tae-hee managed to stay popular by only appearing in commercials.

The average age of best actors is even higher. Except for Ha, all those in the top 10 are in their 40s or over, and the 10 best actresses are on average 41.7 years old.

Several veteran actors who did not make the most-popular list were instead recognized for their skill, including Yoon Yeo-jeong, Kim Hae-sook, Jang Young-nam and Moon So-ri.

Pundits attribute the preference for middle-aged actors to soaring numbers of moviegoers in the same age group. "The Korean film industry used to focus on viewers in their teens or 20s, but now it tries to accommodate diverse age groups. As more films target the middle-aged, they cast veteran actors in the same age bracket," said film critic Jeon Chan-il.

A film producer said, "Only five years ago, pretty young actors were almost guaranteed success at the box office, but now viewers don't want to see movies with bad actors any more. Regardless of appearance or age, actors with proven skill are most sought after now."

20130430009800.jpg
From left, Bong Joon-ho, Ha Jung-woo, Kim Hye-soo, Hwang Jung-min and Jeon Do-yeon

◆ New Directors

On the other hand, a generational shift seems to be taking place among directors. The people on the 10 best directors list have largely drawn over 10 million viewers in recent years, such as Choi Dong-hoon with "Thieves," Choo Chang-min with "Masquerade," and Lee Hwan-kyung with "Miracle in Cell No. 7."

Most of moviegoers had never heard of the last two before the success of their movies. But some prominent directors who once drew vast audiences did not make the list this time. There were no nods to Yoon Je-kyoon of "Haeundae," Lee Joon-ik of "The King and the Clown," and Kang Je-gyu of "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War."

◆ Movie Theaters Win

Asked what their favorite way of watching movies is, 87.1 percent of respondents replied the theater, up from 61 percent in 2007. The proportion of those who prefer downloading movies on the Internet dwindled by half from 13.1 percent to 6.4 percent, and of those who favored cable channels by two-thirds from 14.5 percent to 4.8 percent.

Watching DVDs and videos plummeted from 9.6 percent to 0.7 percent over the same period.

Of the five factors influencing people's choice of films, online reviews from punters came only third. Kim Hyung-ho of Maxmovie explained that factors that are irrelevant to the film can come into play when netizens evaluate them. "Some people rate movies poorly just for fun," he said.

He added people are becoming more aware of how diverse tastes are and no longer consider other Internet users' comments very credible.

Instead, recommendations from friends and family came in second, rising from 10.3 percent to 18.8 percent.

englishnews@chosun.com / Apr. 30, 2013 12:16 KST

[A total of 23,336 people participated in this email poll by Chosun Ilbo and maxmovie.com (korea's largest film ticketing site) from April 16th to the 23rd. Each participant's been to the cinema at least once between May 2012 to April 2013.]

20130430000610s.jpg

standing / last year's standing / name / vote percentage

Best Director
1. (1) Bong Joon-ho (19.9%)
2. (2) Park Chan-wook (19.4%)
3. (4) Kang Woo-seok (16.8%)
4. (*) Kim Ki-duk (8.8%)
5. (3) Im Kwon-taek (7.3%)
6. (7) Ryu Seung-hwan (3.5%)
7. (*) Choo Chang-min (3.3%)
8. (*) Choi Dong-hoon (2.5%)
9. (*) Lee Hwan-kyung (2.2%)
10.(9) Lee Chang-dong (1.9%)

Favorite Actor
1. (1) Ha Jung-woo (15.2%)
2. (*) Hwang Jung-min (11.5%)
3. (3) Ahn Sung-ki (6.1%)
4. (12) Lee Byung-hun (4.8%)
5. (*) Ryu Seung-ryong (4.5%)
6. (2) Song Kang-ho (4.2%)
7. (10) Han Seok-gyu (4.1%)
8. (9) Kang Dong-won (3.9%)
9. (5) Won Bin (3.8%)
10.(*) Shin Ha-kyun (3.2%)

Favorite Actress
1. (4) Kim Hye-soo (14.8%)
2. (1) Ha Ji-won (10.7%)
3. (*) Jeon Ji-hyun (8.9%)
4. (2) Son Ye-jin (7.6%)
5. (*) Jeon Do-yeon (6.5%)
6. (3) Gong Hyo-jin (4.6%)
7. (*) Im Soo-jung (3.5%)
8. (*) Han Hyo-joo (3.0%)
9. (8) Kim Tae-hee (2.3%)
10.(6) Lee Na-young (2.1%)

Best Actor
1. (*) Hwang Jung-min (16.6%)
2. (3) Choi Min-shik (12.0%)
3. (4) Ha Jung-woo (9.7%)
4. (1) Song Kang-ho (7.9%)
5. (2) Ahn Sung-ki (7.5%)
6. (*) Ryu Seung-ryong (6.1%)
7. (*) Lee Byung-hun (5.7%)
8. (9) Han Seok-gyu (5.4%)
9. (8) Seol Kyung-gu (4.0%)
10.(6) Kim Yoon-seok (3.7%)

Best Actress
1. (1) Jeon Do-yeon (18.5%)
2. (4) Kim Hye-soo (18.2%)
3. (2) Ha Ji-won (10.0%)
4. (*) Kim Hae-sook (3.8%)
5. (5) Moon So-ri (3.5%)
6. (6) Yoon Yeo-jung (3.3%)
7. (3) Son Ye-jin (3.2%)
8. (*) Jang Young-nam (2.4%)
9. (7) Gong Hyo-jin (2.3%)
10.(*) Jeon Ji-hyun (2.0%)

May 1, 2013
Hwang Jeong-min is the most talented actor
Source: Hanciname l Nate ++
804467_0_550768_66782.jpg

Hwang Jeong-min was chosen as the most talented actor.
According to Max Movie and Chosun Ilbo, audiences chose Hwang Jeong-min as the most talented actor.
Second came Choi Min-sik, third Ha Jeong-woo and then Song Kang-ho and Ahn Seong-gi.
Hwang Jeong-min recently acted in the movie "Fist of Legend". He was also in the movie "The New World" earlier this year.
Netizens say, "Hwang Jeong-min, Ha Jeong-woo and Choi Min-sik are all good", "He is so worthy of this title", "He's talented and polite" and more.
Meanwhile, Ha Jeong-woo was chosen as the most favorable actor then came, Hwang Jeong-min, Ahn Seong-gi, Lee Byeong-Heon and Ryoo Seung-ryong.

May 2, 2013
Share of Korean films hits over one-year low
YonhapNews l Nate
2013050213382488235_1.jpg

SEOUL, May 2 (Yonhap) -- The share of Korean films in the local movie market fell to its lowest level in almost a year and a half in April, official box-office data showed Thursday.
   According to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), which tracks official box-office figures, Korean films attracted 4.5 million moviegoers last month, accounting for 39.8 percent of the 11.2 million people who went to the cinema.
   The ratio is the lowest since 37.4 percent was recorded in December 2011 and also represents a sharp decline from the 63.2 percent of the previous month.
   The plunge is drawing keen attention as the percentage hovered around 60 to 70 percent last year and surged to 82.9 percent in February this year.
   The lack of homegrown films drawing public attention and the strength of Hollywood action films appear to be the reason behind the decline.
   In the monthly box-office for April, "Iron Man 3," the latest in the superhero trilogy, was at No. 1, racking up 26.368 billion won (US$23.9 million) in ticket sales.
   Korean director Kang Woo-suk's new film "Fist of Legend" was in a distant second with 11.678 billion won, closely followed by "Oblivion," a sci-fi film starring Tom Cruise, at 10.66 billion won and "Running Man," a Korean film starring Shin Ha-kyun, with 9.8 billion won.
   "G.I.Joe 2: Retaliation," the Hollywood action film directed by Jon M. Chu, came in at fifth with 7.7 billion won.
   The total number of moviegoers in April represented a 6.3 percent decline from a year ago, according to the data.

May 10, 2013
Hollywood fights back to reclaim Korean box offices
By Chung Ah-young The Korea Times
A boom in Korean cinema from three mega-hit films — Thieves, Masquerade (Gwanghae: The Man Who Became The King) and Miracle in Cell No.7 — saw more than 10 million tickets sold over a sevenmonth span. However, this has apparently come to a halt due to the dominance of Hollywood blockbusters.
According to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), there has been no hit Korean film drawing more than 2 million moviegoers since New World, a star-studded noir flick of Choi Min-shik, Hwang Jung-min and Lee Jung-jae, released on Feb. 21 and which garnered 4.68 million moviegoers.
The share of Korean films in the domestic market plummeted to its lowest level in almost one-and-a-half years in April.
Recent data show that Korean films attracted some 4.5 million moviegoers last month, representing 39.8 percent of the 11.2 million total moviegoers. The figure is a sharp decline from the 63.2 percent in the previous month. Meanwhile the market share of Hollywood films rose from 23.5 percent to 55.4 percent last month.
The record is alarming given that the market share of Korean films hovered around 60 to 70 percent last year and peaked at 82.9 percent in February this year.
Iron Man 3, the latest in the superhero trilogy starring Robert Downey Jr., which was released on April 25, has contributed to lifting up the market share of Hollywood films. The movie topped the April box-office, garnering 26.368 billion won ($23.9 million) in ticket sales.
Korean director Kang Woo-suks new film Fist of Legend managed to rank second with 11.678 billion won, closely followed by Oblivion, a sci-fi adventure starring Tom Cruise, at 10.66 billion won and Running Man, a Korean film starring Shin Ha-kyun, with 9.8 billion won. G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation, the Hollywood action film directed by Jon M. Chu, came in fifth with 7.7 billion won.
Although March and April are regarded as a down time for the movie industry, Korean big-budget movies produced by large conglomerate investors and distributors such as CJ Entertainment, Lotte Entertainment and Show Box Mediaplex have struggled to draw audiences.
CJ Entertainments recent productions such as Psychometry starring Kim Kang-woo in March drew only 534,000 moviegoers while Fist of Legend starring Hwang Jung-min ended up with 1.65 million people.
Lotte Entertainments An Ethics Lesson attracted 225,618 people while Very Ordinary Couple starring Kim Min-hee received rave reviews from critics but garnered some 1.86 million people.
Show Box Mediaplexs The Gangster Shaman appeared to score a success early this year but failed to attract the anticipated 4 million moviegoers. Also the result of Paparotti which was released in March was unsatisfactory with 1.71 million moviegoers.
Worse, Running Man, a much-anticipated film fully funded by a major Hollywood studio, Fox International Productions — part of 20th Century Fox — and starring Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Min-ho, has just 1.4 million moviegoers, far short of meeting the break-even point.
The Korean films boom began faltering after Hollywood blockbuster Oblivion dominated the local box office for more than two weeks followed by Iron Man 3.
Other Hollywood films such as After Earth starring Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith and Man of Steel, a superhero series, are to be shown soon, casting a darker cloud over the Korean films.
A slew of Korean films have delayed release dates to the latter half of the year.
The Huntresses starring Ha Ji-won was originally scheduled to be shown in June but this has been postponed until the second half of the year. Alumni starring Choi Seung-hyun (K-pop group Big Bangs T.O.P.) and Secretly Greatly starring heartthrob Kim Su-hyun havent scheduled release dates yet.
Critics predict that the lull will last until Korean blockbusters Snow Piercer directed by Bong Joon-ho and Mr. Go by Kim Yong-hwa, open in July and August.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://www.tenasia.com/archives/58590

“Fist of Legend” to Compete at Shanghai Film Fest

2013/06/05 by Lee Eun Ah

The official poster for the 16th Shanghai International Film Festival. [sIFF]
2013060511554321091615x.jpg

Actor Yoon Je-moon (left), Hwang Jung-min (center) and Yoo Joon-sang (right) on the official poster of “Fist of Legend.” [CJ E&M]
2013060511581018195.jpg

Korean film “Fist of Legend” will compete at this year’s Shanghai International Film Festival, the film’s promoter said on Wednesday.

CJ E&M said through a press release that the film, starring Hwang Jung-min, Yoo Joon-sang and Yoon Je-moon, has been nominated for the Golden Goblet Award, making it the only Korean movie to make it into the category.

The Golden Goblet Award, which is the main program of the film fest, acknowledges 14 to 15 feature films of outstanding quality from different countries, the promoter added.

The jury of the Golden Goblet award will include “Les Miserables” (2012) and “The King’s Speech” (2010) director Tom Hooper, French film critic Michel Ciment, and German film director of “Rosa Kinder” (2012) and “Poll” (2010).

Action film “Fist of Legend,” released in Korean theaters in April, is director Kang Woo-suk’s 19th film that switches between past and present to depict on the friendship between men and a father’s love for his family.

The SIFF, founded in 1993 and to be held from June 15 to 23 this year, has invited several other Korean films to its upcoming festivities.

Over on the Asian New Talent Award program, director Lee Won-suk’s “How to Use Guys with Secret Tips,” featuring actress-boxer Lee Si-young and actor Oh Jeong-se, and director Roh Deok’s “Very Ordinary Couple,” featuring actor Lee Min-ki and actress Kim Min-hee, have received nominations.

The Asian Talent Award program aims to internationally promote a new generation of young Asian film talents and encourage multi-cultural creativity.

“How to Use Guys with Secret Tips” centers on the exclusive know-hows of seducing the man of your dreams and “Very Ordinary Couple” practically portrays the reality of dating.

Films such as Korean veteran director Im Kwon-taek’s “Sopyonje” (1993), director Joo Kyung-jung’s “Little Monk” (2003), actor Bae Yong-joon’s “Untold Scandal” (2003) and actor So Ji-sub’s “Rough Cut” (2008) were invited to SIFF in the past.

“Untold Scandal” and “Sopyonje” won the award for Best Director and “Sopyonje” also won the award for Best Actress and “Little Monk” for Best Screenplay.

Actor Lee Min-ki (left) and actress Kim Min-hee (right) posing on the official poster of “Very Ordinary Couple.” [Lotte Entertainment]
2013060512035162505.jpg

Actress/ boxer Lee Si-young (left) and actor Oh Jeong-se (right) posing on the official poster of “How to Use Guys with Secret Tips.” [showbox/Mediaplex, Inc.]
j5ywer.jpg

Reporter. Lee Eun Ah domino@tenasia.co.kr
Editor. Jessica Kim
Photos Courtesy of SIFF, Lotte Entertainment, Showbox/Mediaplex, Inc., and CJ E&M

<ⓒ Korea Entertainment Media Co., LTD. (www.tenasia.com) All rights reserved.>