Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

October 28, 2012
Korea film industry has come down with 1970 fever
By Jung Hyun-mok Korea JoongAng Daily
28183406.jpgFrom left, Lee Byung-hun, Ryu Seung-ryong, Jung Jae-young, Hwang Jung-min and Park Hee-soon. Each actor has become a well-known figure in the Korean film industry, and each was born in 1970.
Do these names ring any bells? Lee Byung-hun, Ryu Seung-ryong, Kim Soo-ro and Hwang Jung-min. 
If they don’t yet, they will soon. These booming actors have all starred in lead roles in 2012 films or soon-to-be-released flicks. And apart from their exceptional acting talents and sharp looks, they share one other commonality: They were all born in 1970. 
During the last few years, these men have contributed so much to the Korean film industry that nowadays, many say that without them, movies are bound to struggle at the box office. 
“For the few actors who become successful, their heydays come during their mid-30s to mid-40s. There are so many actors born in 1970 who are doing very well,” movie critic Kim Hyun-seok says.
Starting out on stage
Except for Lee Byung-hun, who rose to stardom in his late teens, and Cha Seung-won, who started off his career as a model, the rest of these actors made their debuts on stage, performing in plays for seven to 10 years before moving on to films. Most started out in Daehangno, the artsy theater district in central Seoul. 
Go Chang-suk, who acquired fame through his portrayal of the head of a Vietnamese gang in the movie “Secret Reunion” (2010), once earned his living by working on farms and in iron foundries. 
After accepting the Best Actor award at the 2005 Blue Dragon Film Awards for his role in the movie “You Are My Sunshine,” actor Hwang Jung-min revealed the hardships he went through during his youth in his now famous speech: “All I did was add a spoon to a dinner table that had already been prepared by others.” 
The speech described how sorry Hwang felt for being the only one to receive the spotlight while the rest of the staff was working hard as well.
Viewers born in the ’70s are increasingly becoming the major target audience in the film industry. 
“Since last year, there are many middle-aged people who come to watch movies not for the good-looking actors but for those who are of their same age because they feel a connection,” said Kim Taek-gyoon, the department head of film distributor Showbox. 
Actors Ryu Seung-ryong and Hwang Jung-min captivated middle-aged audiences through their talented roles in “All About My Wife” and “Dancing Queen,” respectively. 
Jung Joon-ho’s fifth sequel in “Marrying the Mafia 5 - Return of the Family” will provide some comedic relief, while Jung Jae-young plays an unstoppable detective determined to catch his killer in the movie “Confession of Murder” that is set to be released next month. 
Won Dong-yeon, the vice president of the Korean Film Production Association, said, “Actors born in 1970 are the power of the Chungmuro cinema district. They have the ability to attract both the younger and older generations.”
In their eyes
Those who were born in 1970 lived through the liberalization of Korean society after the Park Chung Hee era. 
They were allowed to wear anything to school for several years, listened to the music of Seo Tae-ji, one of the most influential Korean pop icons in the ’90s, and were introduced to foreign pop that later had a powerful influence on Korean culture. 
These aspects of popular culture and openness appealed to many people, and it was to the extent where the competition rate in the Department of Theater and Film at Chung-Ang University and Dankook University was 40 to 1. 
Actors Jung Jae-young, Hwang Jung-min, Park Hee-son, Yoo Hae-jin and Ryu Seung-ryong all graduated from the Seoul Institute of the Arts at similar times.
Board member of Lotte Entertainment Lee Sang-moo says, “Those born during the second baby-boom generation from 1968 to 1974 are conscious of both the analog era of the ’70s and ’80s, and of the digital era of the ’90s.” 
By Jung Hyun-mok [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

October 30, 2012
2012 Grand Bell Best Actor Award Nominees 
Source: Nate
2012103015155555_1_rstarssw.jpg
Choi Min Sik ★ Lee Byung Hun ★ Ahn Sung Ki ★ Kim Myung Min ★ Hwang Jung Min
Live today at the Yeouido KBS Hall 19:00, the 49th Daejong Film Festival with the aim to grow into the world's leading film festivals will be held. Recognizing and appreciating the true talent shown by actors in various noteworthy performances in movies of 2012.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

December 20, 2012
[12 Days of 2012] Top 5 Movies
CJ E&M enewsWorld Nancy Lee 
Christmas is fast approaching, which means the New Year is just around the corner!
Although we’re looking forward to what 2013 has in store, we can’t close out 2012 without looking back on the stars, dramas, movies and more that shined this year, so we’re launching a new series here at enewsWorld, called 12 Days of 2012, to round up and reflect on one exciting year in Korean entertainment. 
Stick around (and wish us luck) as we try to jam pack everything 2012 into 12 days!
We’re kicking off our countdown to 2013 with the top 5 films of 2012.
It was a particularly standout year for Korean films, where many domestic films across genres drew in record numbers of viewers with refreshing storylines and talented casts. From melodramas and romantic comedies to heist films and even period pieces, the Korean film landscape was colored with a wide range of features to satisfy every moviegoer’s taste. 
Dancing Queen
42925842.jpg
The year was off to a great start thanks to the romantic comedy Dancing Queen, starring Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, which opened in January. 
Rave reviews for the underrated film drew moviegoers to theaters by means of word-of-mouth, enabling it to cross the 2.5 million mark within two weeks of its premiere. 
The film was even released in North America, spreading its positive message about following your dreams (just because it’s cliché doesn’t meant it’s not true!) to cities like New York, Los Angeles, Vancouver and Toronto. 
Architecture 101
We think it’s safe to say Architecture 101, starring Uhm Tae Woong, Han Ga In, miss A’s Suzy and Lee Je Hoon, was one of the runaway hits of 2012.
The melodrama proved to appeal to more than just its typical, largely female target audience, drawing in more than one million viewers within eight days of its release back in March, later becoming the most-watched melodrama in Korea. 
Although Suzy rose to fame in the acting world with KBS drama Dream High, Architecture 101 proved to be the breakthrough film that would solidify her as one of the brightest young talents as well as the ‘Nation’s First Love’ and earn her the Best New Actress Award at the 48th Paeksang Arts Awards. 
The Thieves
It appears if you graduate from Dream High, you go on to achieve great things, as another alum, Kim Soo Hyun, and his cast mates found astounding success with heist film The Thieves, which was released in July. 
The action comedy, which stars A-listers like Jun Ji Hyun, Lee Jung Jae and Kim Hye Soo, was out to do some serious damage from the outset, smashing the record for the biggest opening in Korean film history. 
As of August, it was the number one film of the year, drawing in more than five million moviegoers to theaters in August, before hitting the 10 million mark later that month. 
The Thieves definitely stole the show this year, that’s for sure. 
Masquerade
From Los Angeles to London, the world’s eyes were on Lee Byung Hun—and not because of his budding romance with actress Lee Min Jung. 
The globetrotting star of Masquerade has received worldwide attention, not only for his successful foray into Hollywood but for his portrayal of the Joseon Dynasty king Gwanghae in the period piece. 
The film swept the 49th Daejong Film Awards, taking home 15 awards, including Lee Byung Hun’s Best Actor Award. 
A Werewolf Boy
With Song Joong Ki on the roster, it came as no surprise that feature film A Werewolf Boy would find success, even before its premiere. 
But we know what matters in the film world is opening day, and the movie lived up to expectations, even knocking 007 Skyfall down to second place when it premiered on October 31. 
The big names and intriguing storyline made for the perfect recipe at the box office, proving James Bond has nothing on our werewolf boy!

• 3 weeks later...

January 7, 2013
NEW WORLD Is a New Kind of Korean Crime Drama Top Korean Actors Set to Thrill in Explosive Ensemble by Kim Hyun-min KOFIC
oFQVYWBnBQrQOnFJRovW_zpse6e0fc48.jpg Lee Jung-jae, Choi Min-shik and Hwang Jung-min’s New World has confirmed its release date as February 21st. Just by looking at the cast, this movie is grabbing people's attention as the most anticipated film of early 2013. Lee Jung-jae, who has shown a remarkable range of acting through The Housemaid and The Thieves, an unrivalled performer in Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time’s Choi Min-shik, and Hwang Jung-min, who has time and again shown off his pwerful bravado from Bloody Tie and The Unjust have joined for this film. There are to portray a tense relationship through this film. New World is about an undercover cop who has snuck into Korea’s biggest mafia, it is a drama about conspiracy, fidelity and betrayal. A detective (Choi Min-shik) who has constructed an undercover operation, a cop (Lee Jung-jae) who has snuck into the mafia as ordered by the detective, and the second top person in the mafia (Hwang Jung-min) who has no idea who he is but takes care of him. The relationship between these three is drawn into a tense drama. Park Hoon-jung in the director's chair wrote the scripts for The Unjust, and I Saw the Devil. Following on from his debut The Showdown he has written and director his sophomore feature the New World.

January 13, 2013
Teaser builds anticipation for crime thriller New World
by javabeans dramabeans.com

If dark crime thrillers are your thing (and Chungmuro certainly has a way of churning them out), heads up for another entry in the genre with New World getting ready for its big premiere. The movie opens next month and has just released a trailer to whet our appetites, which has set a record that points to heightened anticipation for the film — the video logged an impressive 180,000 views in its first day out, a new high.
It’s a pretty simple preview, but it gets the crux of the issue across — we have three men, on various sides of the loyalty and legality line, portrayed by three of Chungmuro’s top dramatic stars: Lee Jung-jae, Choi Min-shik, and Hwang Jung-min. Talk about spot-on casting; they’ve all got a way with gravitas and menacing auras, which make them perfect for gangster dramas.
In New World, a detective (Choi Min-shik) infiltrates Korea’s largest crime organization (Hwang Jung-min’s base), and what unfolds is an entanglement of “conspiracy, betrayal, and loyalty,” with Lee Jung-jae caught in the middle. Mmm, Lee Jung-jae caught in the middle… *gets a grip* *not really*
The trailer ends with the tagline: Three men. Each wanting to go to a different new world.
Director Park Hoon-jung has much made himself at home in this genre, having written the screenplays for dark thrillers I Saw the Devil and The Unjust, and directed The Showdown. I’m expecting lots of taut suspense and powerhouse acting for this project — let’s hope the story’s as tightly wound as the tension in the trailer. New World premieres on February 21.
201301110944772182_50ef62178e734.jpg
Via Osen

January 17, 2013
Top actors collaborate for crime thriller
Choi Min-sik, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jeong-min co-star in ‘New World’
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald
Three heavyweight actors are co-starring in one of the most anticipated films of the first half of the year.
Choi Min-sik (“Oldboy,” “I Saw the Devil”), Lee Jung-jae (“The Thieves,” “The Housemaid”), and Hwang Jeong-min (“The Unjust,” “You Are My Sunshine”) are returning to the big screen next month in a crime thriller directed by Park Hun-jeong.
The thriller tells the story of police detective Ja-seong (Lee Jung-jae), who is assigned by his boss Park (Choi Min-sik) to do an undercover investigation into “Gold Moon,” one of the biggest crime organizations in the country. Ja-seong disguises himself as one of the gang’s members. 
20130117000668_0.jpgA scene from upcoming film “New World” (NEW)
The investigation goes on for eight years, and Ja-seong finds himself caught between the gang’s second-in-command Jeong Cheong (Hwang Jeong-min), who “trusts him with his life,” and his senior detective Park, who uses Ja-seong for his own success. The film deals with the themes of betrayal and loyalty, as well as conspiracy.
Park was one of the writers for Kim Ji-woon’s 2010 film “I Saw the Devil,” which starred Choi Min-sik as a serial killer. 
The two met during the production phase of the film, and Park told Choi about some of the scripts he was working on at the time, including the “New World.” Choi was impressed and promised to star in the films. 
“I felt like this guy had something,” Choi said through the promoters. “All of the scripts sounded interesting. But it seemed like ‘New World’ would attract the investors the most.”
It was also Choi who brought actor Lee Jung-jae into the project.
“It was actually Choi who called me and asked me to read over the script,” said Lee. “He sounded almost as if he were producing this film. Of course, I was really excited to work with someone as great as Choi.”
Meanwhile, Hwang had to learn Chinese for his role as Jeong Cheong, who is a descendent of Chinese migrants who settled in Korea’s Jeolla provinces. 
“The role required me to speak in Chinese for a number of scenes,” Jeong said. “Learning Chinese was certainly more challenging than mastering the Jeolla accent.”
“New World” opens in local theaters on Feb. 21. 

January 21, 2013
3 actors to show off talent in 'Sinsegae'
By Rachel Lee The Korea Times
01-22-14-02.jpg
The casting of the three mega stars Choi Min-sik, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jung-min doesn’t happen often. But the three have come together for the first time for director Park Hoon-jeong’s second film.
Choi, Lee and Hwang are ready to show off their impeccable acting talent once again to viewers in their new film titled “Sinsegae,” which is to be released next month.
“I honestly didn’t expect to have such big names cast in my second work. I was extremely surprised when they accepted my offer,” said Park Wednesday at the press conference held in Apgujeong-dong, southern Seoul. The award-winning director is known for his first movie “Hyultu” (2010) and screenplays including “The Unjust” (2010) and “I Saw the Devil” (2010). 
“Sinsegae,” meaning “a new world” in English, is a story about fidelity and betrayal between two police detectives and the number two man of a local gang. Undercover police officer Ja-sung (Lee) infiltrates the gang “Gold Moon” to investigate them under the command of his superior Kang (Choi). After eight years, Ja-sung becomes the right-hand man to the ring’s second-in-command Jung Chung (Hwang), who holds the real power. 
“The film is basically about gangsters who engage in politics,” said Hwang at the press conference. The 42-year-old actor previously appeared in box office hits including “You Are My Sunshine” (2005), “A Bittersweet Life” (2005) and “Five Senses of Eros” (2009). 
“It felt like I was running a straight and easy road throughout the whole shooting period. It means it was considerably easier for me to understand the story itself since it’s about a man’s world,” added Hwang. 
Veteran actor Choi, who is best known for his critically acclaimed role in “Old Boy” (2003), described the film as one that “focuses on something very specific.” “I took this role as a police officer for the first time in over 20 years of my acting career and I am genuinely happy that it raised my social status in films as I took roles as brutal criminals many times,” said the 50-year-old star, recipient of several awards both at home and abroad. 
During the press conference, Choi showed special interest in the new film, saying that he was the one who decided to cast Lee as Ja-sung.
“I always wanted to work with Lee Jung-jae, not only because he is my junior in university but also I was so sure he is capable of playing perfectly the role as a young undercover police officer,” said Choi.
Asked how Lee felt when he got a phone call from Choi, Lee said he was “pretty shocked that Choi tried to cast me directly.” “I was in the middle of filming a movie at that time, but I was more than happy to accept his offer and start working with such a big senior. I am grateful to him indeed,” the 39-year-old actor added. 
The three actors told reporters their views about where they wish to be in the future. 
“For me, it’s theaters. Everything happens there and I spend most of my time there. So my new world, or the new world for directors and actors like me, will be theaters,” said Choi.
Hwang and Lee said they wish to continue their acting career as long as they can.
“Ultimately, what I want in my new world is to work with talented actors, actresses and the production crew for years to come,” said Lee.
“Sinsegae” is to be released on Feb. 21 in theaters nationwide. For more information about the movie, visit www.sinsegae2013.co.kr or call (02) 543-1917.

January 24, 2013
VIP Preview for 'The Berlin File' Brings in Big Names and Big Expectations
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim
Lee Byung Hun, Jung Woo Sung, Super Junior, Lee Jung Jae and Go So Young walked the red carpet on January 23.
Though the stunning array of stars made the red carpet look like one for a splendid awards ceremony, it actually took place for a VIP preview. The preview of the film The Berlin File, in fact.
27293004.jpg
The red carpet event and VIP preview for The Berlin File was held on January 23 in Seoul. The two-part event was hosted by MC Kim Tae Jin, and featured director Ryu Seung Wan as well as the film′s leads Ha Jung Woo, Han Seok Gyu, Jun Ji Hyun and Ryu Seung Bum.
The scene boiled hot with its grand scale and the passion of the 2,000 fans gathered for the event. The fans filled the venue an hour before the event was due to start, and welcomed the cast with warm applause when they appeared on the red carpet.
Ha Jung Woo said onstage, "I believe this is the most exciting and fun moment for an actor who has just finished shooting his film. I′m very thankful that so many people have been showing their support," while Jun Ji Hyun added, "You′re all so expectant; I hope the film continues to be loved until the end."
Han Seok Gyu said, "In 1998, when the film Swiri premiered, I toured the nation with 50 rolls of film. Now, movies can premiere in 800 screens at the most. This means that Korean films have become grander in scale, and I′m thankful that so many people have shown their love for Korean films. I believe our film will also satisfy our audience."
Director Ryu Seung Wan backed down, saying, "It′s not very good to have high expectations," but still he said with confidence, "It′s a film in which great actors put on some great acting. It will be better if you enjoy how the actors put on their acting."
In the red carpet event that followed, over 60 top stars set the scene on fire with tumultuous cheers, including Lee Byung Hun, Jung Woo Sung, Go So Young, Lee Jung Jae, Super Junior′s Choi Siwon, Kangin and Yesung, Hwang Jung Min, director Kim Hyun Suk, Park Sung Woong, Song Ji Hyo, Ma Dong Seok, director Lee Hyeon Seung, Crying Nut, Jang Gwang, Lee Chae Young, Roy Kim, Jung Joon Young, Park Yoo Hwan, Park Chul Min, Lee Gun Joo, HelloVenus, NU′EST, Kang Sora, Seo Ji Seok, Jung Yu Mi, Son Dambi, director Min Gyu Dong, Jung Kyung Ho, Shinhwa′s Andy and Min Woo and 2NE1.
Hwang Jung Min said, "I′m thankful I′ve received an invitation to such a great event," while Super Junior′s Choi Siwon said, "I came here thanks to the invitation of Ryu Seung Bum and Ha Jung Woo hyungnim (big brother)."
Jung Woo Sung said in surprise, "I came with an invite from director Ryu Seung Wan. The preview seems as grand as the reviews and expectations for the film."
Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan
20130123_65.jpgNate

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: Roughly Google-gist ^^
February 2, 2013
What the top stars say about 'The Berlin File'
Source: Nate 

Actor Choi Min Sik - watching Han Suk Kyu in 'The Berlin File' reminded me of 'Shiri'. Dynamic action and great acting by the cast.
Actor Lee Byung Hun - Dir. Ryu Seung Hwan's movies never disappoint, lots of high action. Younger actors gave praise-worthy performances.
Actor Hwang Jung Min - a fun impressive action movie, highly satisfied. Two hours seemed to pass so fast.
52766026.4.jpg

February 7, 2013
Three macho guys find a balance in Park Hoon-jung’s latest thriller
By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily
2013020801000455300036291.jpg
Park Hoon-jung’s upcoming “A New World” (working English title) is the latest in a string of dark crime thrillers, this time presenting a modern day crime ring that operates like a big corporation. 
The film revolves around undercover police officer Ja-sung (Lee Jung-jae) who infiltrates Gold Moon, the biggest crime organization in Korea.
He poses as a loyal member in an attempt to investigate the group under the command of his superior Kang (Choi Min-sik). After eight years, Ja-sung becomes the right-hand man to the ring’s second-in-command, Jung Chung (Hwang Jung-min). 
When the mob boss dies and Gold Moon threatens to fall apart in a power struggle, Ja-sung is forced to confront demands from both bosses. Caught between Jung who trusts him with his life, and Kang, who thinks of him only as bait, Ja-sung feels torn apart.
As the crime thriller features three high-profile actors, the director said that his primary focus was to keep balance among them. 
Park has significant experience with this genre, having written the screenplays for dark thrillers “I Saw The Devil” (2010) and “The Unjust”(2010). He also directed “The Showdown”(2010). 
“The three actors are very energetic and have a strong presence. So I was a little worried about their interactions,” Park said. “But the three of them were very skilled at adjusting and creating a balance between them.” 
Lee Jung-jae, the youngest among the actors, expressed his own concerns about working with such talented colleagues. 
“When I heard that my co-stars would be Choi Min-sik and Hwang Jung-min, I thought my acting career could have been put in jeopardy,” he said. 
Choi, by now an expert at violent gangster movies, also touched upon his interactions with co-stars. But for him, there seemed to be too little rather than too much. 
“The two-hour running time was little short to portray all the complex characters and the tensions between them,” he said. “I think three or four hours might have been better.” 
He also said jokingly that he is fed up with the genre. 
“What I want is to live in a world without blood.” he said.
“A New World” is slated for release on Feb. 21.
130206_22_1.jpg

February 11, 2013
'New World' a well-made noir with superb acting
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald
08105334.jpg
Noted screenwriter Park Hoon-jung’s second feature film was finally unveiled to the press last week, featuring three heavyweight actors ― Choi Min-sik, Hwang Jeong-min and Lee Jung-jae ― in the lead.
What the film deals with is nothing new, at least in Korean cinema: a criminal organization, its gangsters and the cops who try to chase them down. However, Park, who is best known for his screenplays for Kim Ji-woon’s “I Saw the Devil” and Ryu Seung-wan’s “The Unjust,” managed to create a heartless and entertaining flick about power, greed and betrayal.
“New World” is, in Park’s own words, “a film about gangsters doing politics, in suits and ties.” While doing exactly that, Park skillfully blurs the boundary between the police and gangsters, as well as the good and the bad. The police headquarters abuse their low-ranking officers while trying to do the righteous thing ― arresting the criminals. Some of the gangsters, on the other hand, share genuine camaraderie with each other ― while committing all kinds of illegal deeds.
20130211000236_0.jpgA scene from director Park Hoon-jung’s upcoming film “New World” (NEW)
The thriller tells the story of police detective Ja-seong (Lee Jung-jae), who is assigned by his manipulative boss Kang (Choi Min-sik) to an undercover investigation into “Gold Moon” ― one of the biggest crime organizations in the country. 
Kang asks Ja-seong to spy on the gang’s second-in-command Jeong Cheong (Hwang Jeong-min), after finding out both Ja-seong and the gangster are ethnic Chinese, on top of sharing the same hometown of Yeosu, South Jeolla Province.
Ja-seong’s investigation goes on for eight years, and he eventually finds himself caught between Jeong, who calls him a “brother” and “trusts him with his life,” and his senior detective Park, who only uses him and never gives him the recognition he deserves. 
The film gets even more dramatic as the mob boss is suddenly killed in a car accident, and the group’s two opposing factions, one led by Jeong and the other by ruthless and vengeful member Lee (Park Seong-woong), vie for power. Detective Kang comes up with a cunning and dangerous plan to come between Jeong and Lee ― using Ja-seong’s trusted position in Jeong’s faction ― to break up the Gold Moon. Kang knows his project puts Ja-seong’s life at risk, but makes no plan to protect him if Ja-seong hits dire straits. 
Hwang Jeong-min (“The Unjust,” “You Are My Sunshine,”) is impressive as Jeong Cheong, who is arguably the most likable character in the film. The gangster is a lot of things ― he is an ethnic minority, a caring boss and a competent, thorough individual. During the press conference, Hwang said he only remembers “having fun” while playing Jeong, whom he described as a “chameleon.” 
“Jeong Cheong is really something,” he said. “He’s very versatile and has many different qualities and characteristics that make him unique.”
Respected veteran actor Choi Min-sik (“I Saw the Devil,” “Oldboy”) is also convincing as the manipulative villain, while Lee Jung-jae (“The Thieves,” “The Housemaid”) presents a credible portrayal of a victim who is conflicted between two different worlds, against his own will. 
“Ja-seong doesn’t really start nor do anything by his own will,” Lee said. “He just gets caught up in things. He is not allowed to show his emotions, while required to tell lies all the time. I somehow had to deliver his real emotions in spite of his difficult situation, and that was the biggest challenge while playing this character.”
Actor Park Seong-woong is also a presence in the film, as the charismatic, ruthless gangster who meets an unfortunate end. 
“New World” is an engaging noir with resounding acting and a highly entertaining narrative. Ultimately, it is a film about power and how it blinds those in authority, and those who strive for it. 
A New Entertainment World release, “New World” opens in local theaters on Feb. 21. 

February 13, 2013
New York Korean Film Festival Gears Up for 11th Edition
Eight Films Will Screen at the End of February by Pierce Conran KOBIZ
The New York Korean Film Festival is gearing  up for its 11th edition which will be coming later this month during February 22nd to 24th.  Presented by the Korea Society in association with the BAMcinématek, eight features will screen at the BAM Rose Cinema & Cinematek. This year, the festival continues in its aim to showcase Korean cinema’s most successful productions. VNdUZIyhHzyXOcRZPizm_zps00525a37.jpg
Kicking things off will be a showing of Kim Ki-duk’s Golden Lion-winning Pieta on Friday, February 22nd. It will be followed by a presentation of the indie film All Bark No Bite, which premiered last year at the Jeonju International Film Festival. During the rest of the weekend, mainstream hits Dancing Queen, Masquerade, A Werewolf Boy, Architecture 101 and Deranged will be screened, along with Hong Sangsoo’s In Another Country. The 11th New York Korean Film Festival is sure to present another edition that will further establish it as one of the preeminent showcases of Korean films in North America. 

• 2 weeks later...

February 20, 2013
Facing the blood-drenched mirror
Undercover cop thriller 'New World' a gory addition to Korean cinema
By Yun Suh-young The Korea Times
02-21-16-01.jpg
Park Hoon-jung’s ‘New World’ is a dark mob opera that is outrageously violent.  /  Korea Times

A recurrent subject in Park Hoon-jung’s work ― whether working as a screenwriter or director ― is men who struggle to retain a sense of integrity in environments that work against this. And he seems incapable of telling their stories without using scenes of extreme violence.
"New World,’’ opening in theaters today, is a dark and gritty gangster picture that borrows heavily from the influential Hong Kong thriller "Infernal Affairs’’ (2002) and the Martin Scorsese masterpiece it inspired, "The Departed’’ (2007).
In the director’s chair this time, Park apparently decided to distinguish this film by pushing the level of violence up against the limits of acceptability. As a result, New World becomes yet another gory addition to an already blood-soaked collection of Korean action films, which some worry are becoming one-dimensional.
The main character is Lee Ja-sung, played by Lee Jung-jae, a cop who goes undercover as a gangster. He had been embedded in the Gold Moon organized crime syndicate for eight years, during which he rose to become the right-hand man of Jung Chung, played by Hwang Jung-min, whose is being groomed as the next leader of the family. 02-21-16-02.jpg
Lee Jung-jae, center, plays the role of Lee Ja-sung, an undercover cop embedded in a crime organization and struggling to retain his inner reality.
02-21-16-03.jpg

Lee reports to Detective Kang, chief of the undercover unit, a role played brilliantly by Choi Min-sik, an actor who seems to be involved in all Park’s projects.
The word "new world’’ is the police codename for Lee’s undercover mission that is aimed at eventually dismantling Gold Moon from the core. The name becomes increasingly ironic as the movie progresses with Lee slowly becoming a product of an environment he was supposed to work against.
The source of tension is predictable. Lee finds himself increasingly identifying with the men he is deceiving and becoming increasingly frustrated over his isolation and the risks that Kang forces him to take. Lee’s identity crisis drives the movie toward a shocking conclusion, where he indeed finds himself in a ``new world’’ where the boundary between good and evil is permanently blurred.
Park has written the screenplays for several tough and gritty films such as "The Unjust’’ (2010), ``I Saw the Devil’’ (2010) and "The Showdown’’ (2011), where the plots and commentary about the darker sides of human nature seemed to exist to support outbursts of outrageous violence.  New World falls right in line.
"I wanted to portray how the three men in the movie ― Kang, Lee and Jung ― all had their own ideas of the 'new world’ that would unfold before them after their goals are achieved. In progressing toward their goals, the role of the good and evil are sometimes switched around, intended to leave the viewers confounded over who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. I think this is a genuine representation of the real world we live in,’’ Park recently told reporters.
"I want people to focus on the macroscopic drama on how power and organization can dictate a person’s own choices and life.’’
Kang is perhaps the most fully developed and complicated character in the movie. He is a cold, heartless man who sees no room for mercy and pushes the undercover mission with a relentlessness that doubles the cruelty directed at Lee.
Jung, the impulsive gangster, is portrayed as more warmhearted and ferociously loyal to his brotherhood, although displays ruthlessness when competing with rival Lee Jung-gu, played by Park Sung-woong, to take the helm of the crime group.
Stuck between them is the undercover cop who is forced to live a life that is the radical opposite of his inner life or rather his idea of it.  
Park chose to shoot the movie in tones of gray tone portending the futures of the men. In most scenes the cast is dressed in different shades of gray, whether in suits or jackets.