Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

May 31, 2011

MOBIDIK PRESS PREVIEW AT DONGDAEMUN MEGABOX

20110531_1306828861.jpg

^ The cast looking sharp and pretty ^^

Today is the movie's press preview and (hopefully) the VIP Premiere later in the evening. Lots and lots of pics already out at the media pages. As I'm currently shorthanded to post everything all at once (here and at the actors' threads), I'll compile slowly and post the whole lot in due time.

Anyone wanting to post pleasepleaseplease help yourselves, ok. :lol:

In the meantime.. first critic's feedback by
via twitter

MOBY DIK: haven't heard anyone else's opinion yet, but I rather liked it. Good opening, cleverly plotted, though it drags in parts.

It has a pervasively gloomy mood (did the sun never come out in 1994?), that part of me liked and part of me didn't.

Sometimes its cleverness and technical competence overshadow the story - you watch the film from a distance rather than being pulled in.

But the film did create a distinctive setting and mood. Curious how it will be received...

201105311705774076_1.jpg

June 2, 2011

Conspiracy flick is painstakingly real

By Lee Hyo-won hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

1106031010.jpg

Hwang Jung-min stars as an investigative journalist in the conspiracy drama "Moby Dik." / Courtesy of Showbox/Mediaplex

Marked by intrigue and wit, “Moby Dik” paves the way for conspiracy dramas, a genre not yet fully explored in Korean cinema.

Painstakingly realistic depictions of thoroughly domestic matters provide for Hollywood-esque entertainment that invites vested interest, particularly as top actors give their finest performances — but at the same time this deprives the film of that cathartic oomph audiences might expect.

Nevertheless first-time director Kim In-je, noted for his award-winning short “The End of the Road,” shows potential as one to watch out for.

The title may have been inspired by the Herman Melville novel but it actually refers to a website operated by Defense Security Command. In 1990, Private Yun Seok-yeong created a stir by disclosing top secret military files and the incident serves as the motif of the story, which also takes place in the early ’90s.

Hwang Jung-min, who has previously tackled the role of a private eye, shows off his knack for investigation as veteran journalist Lee. When a mysterious explosion occurs near a bridge in the outskirts of Seoul, he gets down to business and begins looking into the matter.

But one day, Yun (Jin Gu), an old friend he had lost touch with, pays him a visit. He claims that that the case was no accident and hands him a password-locked floppy disk along with some documents.

Lee puts together a special investigation unit with colleagues Sohn (Kim Sang-ho) and Seong (Kim Min-hee) to delve into the incident, only to be threatened by a group of unidentified men.

Meanwhile a state-run agency abruptly announces that North Korean spies were responsible for the bridge blast. But the Lee trio senses the existence of a dark shadow government that reveals sensational news in critical times, leading the entire country by the nose.

The film initially seems to have little to do with wrestling with whales, but alludes to how difficult it is to discern the vastness of the creature. The metaphor makes its way into the story several times, making Lee’s struggles appear to be but a trivial skirmish in the face of powerful conspirers.

Thrill factors are seamlessly woven into the architectural narrative structure, while Hwang and a host of other esteemed actors bring urgency to the drama. The twists allow viewers to become completely immersed into the story, which retains a highly nuanced edge when it comes to the mystery government. The immaculate production values make the movie all the more engaging, and it’s refreshing to see pagers instead of cell phones along with other period details that resurrect the ’90s.

Yet the director opts for a more open-ended, albeit uninspiring, ending; things are neither resolved nor take an unexpected turn. Here, the film’s ultra realism, initially working in its favor, is partly to blame. Characters are believable, as are the featured incidents, but play it too safe compared to the size of the conspiracy the film has dreamed up.

In theaters June 9. Runs 112 minutes. Rated 15 and over. Distributed by Showbox/Mediaplex.

Two-and-a-half out of four stars.

June 3, 2011

11 Korean films invited to New York Asian Film Festival

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

Eleven Korean movies have been invited to the Asian Film Festival to be held in New York next month.

According to the official website of the festival on Friday, "Battlefield Heroes," "Bedevilled," "The Chaser," "City of Violence," "Foxy Festival," "Haunters," "The Man from Nowhere," "MSFF Shorts , "" The Recipe, "" Troubleshooter, "The Unjust" and "The Yellow Sea" will be shown at the 2011 New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF) in New York from July 1 to 14.

The fest will feature a category titled "SEA OF REVENGE: NEW KOREAN THRILLERS," presented in association with the Korean Cultural Service New York, which will show "The Unjust," "Bedevilled," "The Chaser," "Haunters," " The Man From Nowhere, "" Troubleshooter "and" The Yellow Sea "also chosen as the closing film.

Korean directors Na Hong-jin, Ryoo Seung-wan, Kwok Hyeok-jae and Lee Joon-ik will also attend the film fest.

The New York Asian Film Festival was first held in 2002 that feature contemporary and classic movies under the horror, gangster / crime, martial arts and action genre from Eastern and Southeast Asia including Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, China and Thailand.

Previous films that won at the fest include "My Sassy Girl" and "Please Teach Me English" for the audience award in 2002 and 2004, respectively.

June 6, 2011

'Moby Dik' a well-made conspiracy flick

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Director says film inspired by a true case from 1990 adds new genre to Korean cinema

Back in 1990, a private named Yoon Seok-yang, who had been serving in the Defense Security Command of Korea’s Armed Forces, ran away from his camp with a floppy disk.

The disk had a list of the country’s big figures, including former presidents, religious leaders, politicians, and social activists that the DSC had been illegally investigating.

Inspired by this true incident, first-time director Park In-je made his debut feature, “Moby Dik.”

20110606000215_0.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min stars as a veteran journalist in director Park In-je’s conspiracy flick “Moby Dik.” (Showbox and Mediaplex Inc.)

“We’ve been promoting our film as ‘the first conspiracy film in Korea,’” Park told a press conference held on May 31 in Seoul. “I haven’t been feeling a lot of pressure about the way it was promoted; I was rather curious about how the audience would feel about this specific genre.”

Starring Hwang Jung-min, Kim Min-hee and Jin Gu, the movie tells a story of veteran journalist Lee Bang-woo (Hwang), who sets up a special investigation team with his fellow reporters after a mysterious explosion occurs near a bridge on the outskirts of Seoul.

As they investigate, they realize there is a group of unknown men that controls the government behind closed doors.

Just like the real-life case of Yoon, the movie also takes place in the early 1990s. The title “Moby Dik,” inspired by the Herman Melville novel, also refers to the name of a cafe that was operated by DSC. Located near Seoul National University, the cafe was used to by DSC members investigate ordinary citizens, according to Park.

In the film, there are a number of scenes where Lee Bang-woo dreams of touching the skin of a giant whale under the sea, while not being able to see the whole mammal. An obvious metaphor inspired by the Herman Melville novel, director Park said these scenes reflect another meaning of the title, “Moby Dik.” “It might sound a little too pessimistic,” he told reporters. “But I wanted to show that even if Lee Bang-woo tries hard to unmask the powerful conspirators, he can never get the real picture of who they are ― just the way he can only touch small parts of the giant whale.”

Actor Hwang Jung-min, who gives a superb performance as a veteran journalist, said he had several meetings with former journalists in preparation of his role for the movie. “Because the movie’s set in the 90s, I met up with a lot of newspaper editors who used to work as staff reporters at the time,” Hwang said. “I asked them about what it was like to go through the deadline, how their desks looked, how they used their squared manuscript paper, how often they changed their clothes, what kind of shirts and shoes they wore. These trivial details helped a lot. But I set the Lee character on my own.”

Hwang, who joked about being “comfortable” around reporters since he appears as a “good journalist” in the movie, said the conspiracy genre should not make the film difficult for the viewers to understand. “I don’t want people to think this movie is a complicated one just because it deals with conspiracy,” Hwang said. “It’s a meaningful and powerful film. I hope our viewers can see that.”

“Moby Dik” opens in theaters on June 9.

June 6, 2011

Hwang Jeong-min "I lost 20kg in a week with tomatoes"

Source: Nate | hancinema.net

201106070021241001_1.jpg

Actor Hwang Jeong-min spoke about how he lost 20kg in a week.

On the MBC TV program "Nollowa" on the 6th, actors Hwang Jeong-min, Jin Goo, Kim Sang-ho and comedian Ji Sang-ryeol had a talk under the concept "pride".

Hwang Jeong-min picked the movie "You Are My Sunshine" which made him the actor he is today, as the most difficult character of all time. He played a character who was in love with an AIDS patient, "I had to lose weight after sending away my lover first so I had to lose 20kg in a week. I only ate tomatoes every meal".

Meanwhile, he also picked movie "Road Movie" as one of the most difficult movies he'd ever done besides losing weight where he played a gay man.

June 7, 2011

4 Korean movies invited to international film fest in Shanghai

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

2011060711293132191_1.jpg

Official website of the 14th annual Shanghai International Film Festival

Four Korean features have been invited to the 14th annual Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF), according to the official website of the film fest on Tuesday.

The official website of SIFF announced that Korean pics "Come Rain, Come Shine," "No Doubt," "Petty Romance" and "The Unjust" will be screened at the fest under the Spectrum category which is part of the Panorama segment showcasing films and industries through diversified perspectives.

"Come Rain, Come Shine," helmed by director Lee Yoon-ki and starring Hyun Bin and Lim Soo-jung, shows the emotional changes a couple (Hyun Bin and Lim) goes through ahead of their separation.

"No Doubt," by auteur Park Soo-yong and starring Kim Tae-woo and Lee Jung-jin, tells of how Choong-sik's (Kim) daughter goes missing and is found dead a few months later near a river, while at the time Se-jin (Lee) moves into the neighborhood causing suspicion that he is the killer.

"Petty Romance," helmed by Kim Jeong-hoon and starring Choi Kang-hee and Lee Sun-kyun, is about the love story that unfolds between comic artist Jeong Bae (Lee) and sex columnist Han Da-rim (Choi) after they come together to compete in an adult comic competition.

"The Unjust," helmed by Ryoo Seung-wan and starring Hwang Jung-min and Ryoo Seung-bum, is an action-packed thriller that delves into widespread corruption which occurs within a prosecutors' office.

First established in 1993, the Shanghai International Film Festival is China's A-category international film festival accredited by the International Federation of Film Producers' Associations (FIAPF). It stands as an international platform to promote the industry development and enhance cooperation worldwide.

This year the festival will run from June 11 to 19 and will hold its opening ceremony at the Shanghai Grand Theater.

June 10, 2011

2011.6.10 NOW PLAYING

Mobydik (15)

Drama, thriller / 112 / Korean

2011060422593921.jpg

201106060845041001_1.jpg

The title of this film may bring to mind Herman Melville’s classic novel, but “Mobydik” is actually a chilling voyage through Korean history with enough conspiracy theories to make even the most nationalistic viewer question their government.

When a mysterious explosion destroys the fictional Balam Bridge on the outskirts of Seoul, veteran journalist Lee Bang-woo (Hwang Jung-min) picks up the story and runs with it.

Around the same time, he gets a visit from his old friend Yoon-hyuk (Jin Goo), who offers some highly classified information on the case - that the explosion was no accident and that the government caused it.

Thinking the case is no ordinary job, Lee calls on his fellow reporters Sohn Jin-ki (Kim Sang-ho) and Seong Hyo-kwan (Kim Min-hee) to investigate. But when their investigation uncovers conspiracy after conspiracy, the group begins to question the government and they begin to get threats that could endanger their investigation and their lives.

With a highly esteemed cast of prestigious Korea actors, including Hwang, who is famous for his role in the 2009 film “Private Eye,” this movie is bound to raise some eyebrows and could be the harbinger of Korean films to come.

June 13, 2011

[CHART] Weekend Box Office: June 10-12

Reporter: Heidi Kim heidikim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

2011061310345182280_1.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of June 10-12, 2011 [Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

June 20, 2011

[CHART] Weekend Box Office: June 17-19

Reporter: Heidi Kim heidikim @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

2011062009423800809_1.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of June 17-19, 2011 [Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

• 3 weeks later...

July 6, 2011

The Unjust (Bu-dang-geo-rae)

New York Asian Film Festival Review

By Ron Wilkinson monstersandcritics.com

A film noir dripping with guilt and laced with absurdity. In Korean Gotham all the cops are criminals and all the sinners saints.

There is trouble in Asian Gotham. Schoolgirls are showing up in pieces all over the country. The police cannot locate a suspect. The president gets involved: “What is this, monsters on parade??!!” No, wait, that is from “Godzilla vs. Mothra.” This is something entirely different.

Nevertheless, the president is still involved and in any language that means action.

Action director Ryoo Seung-Wan cranks out this pot boiling corruption saga about a loner cop and ambitious prosecutor with a feverish dispatch. The lawyer wants the glory and the golden path to political office promised by a successful conviction, at any cost. All that stands in his way is one upstart cop; an alienated outcast who he can take out with his evil backstabbing.

The usual dark looking suspect is chased down but mistakenly killed in a shoot-out with the police. Another botched police arrest---a dead end with no good news for the papers. Hounded by the president and desperate for a hero, the National Police Agency chooses violent outsider Choi Cheol-Gi (Hwang Jung-Min) to take the case. The fact that Choi is not one of the chosen few police academy graduates makes him all the better choice. A lamb to be sacrificed at little cost.

Choi is respected and he can get the job done. However, he has to do it his way. This is Clint Eastwood of the East or maybe Frank Sinatra. It is hard to tell. If he brings back the perp this time he will be granted the promotion and acceptance he craves.

Until then he is doomed to work with gangster Jang Suk-Gu (Yu Hae-Jin) to frame the poor sucker who has been chosen to take the fall. A convicted child molester who is trying to start a new life, this man is going to have a very bad day.

Meanwhile, prosecutor Joo-Yang (Ryoo Seung-Bum) and his tight knit cadre of trained legal assistants (think “The Office,” only set in Korea) is mandated to get the serial killer. This make or break time for the upwardly mobile Joo-Yang. He has built his career on getting convictions with suspicious regularity.

Unfortunately, Joo-Yang has developed a long-standing relationship with a shadowy and powerful real estate businessman. He is dogged by the fear that he owes much of his success to the heartless tycoon. This man knows about all the skeletons in the closet. He can make tofu stew out of Joo-Yang’s career if the prosecutor does not walk the line.

Sure enough, cop Choi Cheol-Gi grows a conscience and attempts to arrest the man who may be the real culprit, instead of the intended frame-up victim. When the evidence points to Joo-Yang's rich and corrupt sponsor, Joo-Yang starts a dossier on Choi Cheol-Gi. He is hoping to catch some evidence he can use to blackmail the cop to stop the investigation. When he comes across a deal between Choi Cheol-Gi and gangster Jang Suk-Gu he thinks he hit pay dirt. He has the key to the safety of his boss and the key to his golden future in the Korean White House.

Jeong-min Hwang is as cool as a cucumber and knows the martial arts moves. This film is much better than most because it concentrates on the film noir aspects of self-doubt and guilt and only drops in the fighting now and then, when it does the most good. The sound and cinematography are professional and tell a good story without torturing the audience.

The best roles go to Seung-beom Ryu as the feckless and morally adrift prosecutor and Hae-jin Yu as the amazingly happy and well-adjusted gangster. These two are hilarious. They add a fantastic dimension of unabashed bureaucratic mockery and gangster role shifting that makes this film something special. Jeong-min Hwang is as good as they get as the isolated and self-punishing cop fighting for his life against his own lack of self-respect.

July 16, 2011

Trailer and stills for conspiracy thriller The Informers

by girlfriday | dramabeans.com

It’s a movie I had been waiting for... for almost a full year. I’ll probably have to wait that long till it hits us stateside, but conspiracy thriller Moby Dic has been out in theaters in Korea, and I sort of let it slip by me, with so many summer dramas on my plate. But the trailer and stills look great, and I’m officially back to being excited.

The film stars two top-notch actors, Hwang Jung-min (Accidental Couple) and Kim Min-hee (Love and Marriage) as a pair of journalists who investigate a strange explosion in 1994, that leads them to uncovering a massive conspiracy. They assemble a team along with Jin Gu (Athena) and Kim Sang-ho (Ajusshi! in City Hunter) to take on what quickly becomes a life-threatening mission to unmask the truth.

I love conspiracy thrillers, especially ones starring everyday journalists rather than cops or agents, because there’s something really frightening about the Everyman being hunted by Big Brother that truly freaks me out.

The trailer looks pretty slick, posing the question: “Is everything you know the truth?” And then it flashes key moments in history that are shaded with doubt and conspiracy.

The tagline on the poster: “Everything you trust has been fabricated.” I don’t know about you, but that sends chills down my spine. Conspiracy is way scarier than zombies or ghosts. Unless the zombies are organized by a giant corporation in order to hide government secrets. Then zombies win.

July 20, 2011

Cha Seung-won "My rival is Yoo Hae-jin"

Source: Daum // translation by hancinema.net

Actor Cha Seung-won chose Yoo Hae-jin as his rival.

In an interview with men's fashion magazine 'Officiel Hommes' released on the 20th of July, Cha Seung-won mentioned same age actors Hwang Jeong-min, Lee Byeong-Heon and Yoo Hae-jin as those who can measure with his sexiness. (all these excellent movie actors born in 1970)

He said, "The three don't look that old and they have colors of their own. Especially Yoo Hae-jin, he has colors we don't know about. He knows how to observe life. I want to try a traditional drama with him once".

Cha Seung-won and Yoo Hae-jin met in 2001 movie "Kick the moon", then appeared in "Jail Breakers - No.815", "South of the Border" and "Small Town Rivals" together. Cha Seung-won said, "There are too many good actors in Korea so it's hard. I want to be a charismatic actor like Jeremy Irons, Clint Eastwood, Sean Penn or Johnny Depp even when I age".

August 3, 2011

Disclaimer: simple gist by EverythingLBH.com

Secret to Star-Making

9 Best Entertainment Planners: 'Please cast your dreams'

Source: Nate 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7

201108021455776718_1.jpg

A guidebook published by the Ministry of Culture through an entertainment journalists team have compiled and organized the testimony & advice from 9 'star architects' in South Korean entertainment industry.

Part 1: Music star-makers (Yang Hyun Suk, YG Entertainment etc)

Part 2: Acting talents (CEO Son Seok Woo for BH Entertainment, Yedang Entertainment included)

Part 3: Star Management of 2NE1, 2PM, Uhm Jung Hwa, Ha Ji Won, Won Bin, Lee Byung Hun, Kim Myung Min, Hwang Jung Min.

August 4, 2011

New drama, Hwang Jung Min and Han Gain Considering

Source: Nate // 10Asia

201108041125779309_1.jpg

Actors Hwang Jung-min and Han Ga-in are discussing their appearance in a TV series on major daily paper Chosun Ilbo's upcoming cable television channel.

An official with the show's producer Lemon Rain told 10Asia on Thursday that the two are negotiating on their casting in the drama whose title can be translated into 'Korean Peninsula' although a final decision has not been made. "It is also not the time to reveal more information such as the names of the characters in the show," the official said of the drama set to show on Chosun's new general programming cable channel CSTV.

CSTV is set to open at the end of the year although a date for the show's premiere date has not been decided, the official added.

If Hwang takes on the drama, it will be his second-time small screen role since "The Accidental Couple" (KBS, 2009). Hwang debuted through a musical in 1994 and has been active mainly on the big screen including “You're My Sunshine” (2005), “A Man Who Was Superman” (2008), “The Unjust” (2010) and "Moby Richard" (2011).

For Han, mainly a TV actress since her debut in 2002, the upcoming show would be her first since SBS's "Bad Boy" last year.

August 4, 2011

Han Ga-in and Hwang Jung-min to return to dramaland?

Via Star News by girlfriday | dramabeans.com

201107291319772675_1.jpg

Rumor has it that Han Ga-in (Bad Guy) and Hwang Jung-min (Accidental Couple / That Fool) might be returning to dramaland together, in the mega-million blockbuster cable drama Korean Peninsula, a cable drama from CSTV (owned by Joseon Ilbo, a news network). Nothing’s been confirmed on either side, but it’s a good sign that the production is finally back in the casting game.

It’s a drama that’s been in the works for a long time, rumored to once be the drama comeback vehicle for Jang Dong-gun, while other A-list names like Ha Ji-won and Park Shin-yang have been bandied about as well. But after those casting rumors died, the project seemed to be on the backburner for a while. Can’t imagine that Jang Dong-gun NOT doing your drama is anything other than a setback, but if Hwang Jung-min is set to headline, it’ll officially be back to being A-list.

There’s a 2006 movie of the same name (starring Ahn Sung-ki and Cha In-pyo), which is essentially the same setting, so it looks like the drama’s going to explore and extend that same premise — from what I understand, it’s a futuristic fantasy setup where the North and South Koreas reunite, and then all hell breaks loose over the two countries’ fight over natural resources. It sort of encapsulates the South’s fear in reunification, in a nutshell. Also the title, Han Peninsula, is han as in Korea, but can also be a play on One Peninsula, as in two countries, now one, on one tiny strip o’ land.

The real question for me is not so much in the casting, but in the drama itself, because this is a huge experiment in producing such a large-scale blockbuster drama outside of network television, with no intent to air on on the big three networks (KBS, SBS, MBC). In theory it could be a great way for the cable network to gain a foothold in the drama realm, with a big splash and A-list names (This is no doubt why Jang Dong-gun was their first stop). But the giant 20-million-won pink elephant in the room is… what if no one watches?

Cable dramas get something like a 1-2% share in ratings IF it’s a successful show. To compete with the big three, to somehow get a 20% share (the current marker of a ratings hit)… I just don’t know if it’s possible. It’s fascinating as an experiment because I do think that if besting the big three is your goal, going big budget, big stars is the only way to try and make a dent in the ratings. I do think the premise is pretty damn cool, and if these two were to headline, I’d be on that train in a heartbeat.

Korean Peninsula will be penned by writer Yoon Sun-ju, of Hwang Jini, and is set to air on CSTV in January 2012.

July 27, 2011

KOFFIA 2011 Film Line-up announced!

Source: koffia.com.au via hancinema.net

photo185103.jpg

KOFFIA 2011 is coming! HOLD ON TIGHT! For immediate release The KOFFIA Korean Film Festival is back in Sydney for the second time this August, bigger and better than ever, and it all begins here! KOFFIA 2011 will present 13 feature films and 7 shorts that showcase the great diversity of Korean cinema today, as well as providing a true Korean cultural experience with industry forums, cultural performances, food tastings and so much more. HOLD ON TIGHT!

The festival will take place from 24th – 29th August at Dendy Cinemas in Circular Quay, Sydney. In this Australia-Korea Year of Friendship, we are very excited to announce that KOFFIA will also travel down to the beautiful city of Melbourne! The festival will run from 10th – 13th September at ACMI Cinemas, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Federation Square, Melbourne. This is an extra special date, as 12th September marks the important Korean Thanksgiving Holiday of Chuseok, join us in this celebration.

This year our line-up will be centred around six key themes felt to represent particular recurring messages in Korean cinema. Experienced genre filmmaker Ryoo Seung-wan's latest box office and critical hit "The Unjust" (2010) will open KOFFIA 2011 in Sydney as part of our 'Crime and Punishment' selection. Known for his action hits "Arahan" and "The City of Violence", we are delighted to announce that director Ryoo and producer Kang Hye-jeong-I will be guests of the festival this year. Rounding out 'Crime and Punishment' is the number 1 Korean box office hit last year, "The Man From Nowhere" (2010), featuring popular actor and model "Won Bin" ("Mother - 2009").

'Brothers Divided' reflects on conflict found in relationships and opens with "Secret Reunion" (2010) directed by Jang Hoon ("Rough Cut"). One of the highest grossing Korean films of all time, it follows a tense partnership between a North Korean spy and a former South Korean agent. Also screening under this theme is Park Chan-wook's classic "JSA - Joint Security Area" (2000). Arguably Park's best feature, the film tells the story of an unlikely relationship between the North and South Korean guards along the border. Both films star festival favourite Song Kang-ho.

'Indie Cinema' will introduce our audience to award winning independent films that have been making waves worldwide. The documentary "Earth's Women" (2009) follows the stories of three female farmers and their livelong friendship, as they get caught up in a peasant's rights movement. "The Journals of Musan" (2010) is Park Jung-bum's first feature, made on a shoe-string budget, and highlights the isolated lives of North Korean defectors in South Korean society. Both films won their respective categories at the revered Busan International Film Festival, taking away Best Documentary and FIPRESCI prizes respectively.

'Bloody Friday' highlights the most thrill providing films of Korean cinema today! "No Blood No Tears" (2002), also directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, is a film noir crime caper with a difference, and launched stars Jeon Do-yeon ("The Housemaid - 2010") and Jeong Jae-yeong ("Castaway on the Moon"). Director Ryoo and producer Kang will attend for a Q&A. Former Kim Ki-duk assistant director, Jang Cheol-soo, makes his debut with "Bedevilled" (2010), which has reinvigorated the Korean horror film industry.

'Extraordinary Ordinary Families' describes the very nature of the extended family in contemporary Korean society, with "Shim's Family" (2007) uncovering many unknown skeletons, and "The Show Must Go on" (2007) giving us a look at the Korean Sopranos. "The Show Must Go on" won Best Picture and Best Actor at the 28th Blue Dragon Film Awards. To celebrate filmmaking 'Masters and Students' highlights the best of the Young Korean Filmmaker Awards (YKFA) entries and short films from renowned Korean directors. Also screening in this section is "Oki's Movie" (2010), the latest effort from the critically acclaimed auteur director, Hong Sang-soo.

Finally we focus on the hearts and dream of youth, with 'Ride The Dream'. This year's special school screening features "Bunt" (2007), a heart-warming film of a mentally challenged boy who strives to help everyone around him. Closing Sydney and Opening Melbourne will be Korea's official submission for the Oscars for Best Foreign Language film, the beautiful "Barefoot Dream" (2010), which tells the true story of a Korean soccer coach who gave hope to underprivileged children in East Timor.

What is most clear from this line-up, is that there is much more to see of Korean cinema than many people ever imagined. Come along for whichever theme takes your fancy, as you won't be disappointed. Remember to mark the dates in your diary, August 24-29 in Sydney and September 10-13 in Melbourne, as KOFFIA 2011 will be one not to miss. Prepare to go on a rollercoaster ride of cinematic proportions, HOLD ON TIGHT!

For more information please see our website, www.koffia.com.au. Tickets are on sale 3 weeks prior to the festival dates. KOFFIA is organised by the Korean Cultural Office in Sydney.

WANT MORE?

Make sure you attend our KOFFIA 2011

Press Events and Industry Forums

Tuesday 23rd August, 3:00pm @ Korean Cultural Office

Press Conference with Ryoo Seung-wan and KANG Hye-jeong-I (with English translator)

Wednesday 24th August, 3:00pm @ Korean Cultural Office

Press Conference with Ryoo Seung-wan and KANG Hye-jeong-I (in Korean only)

Wednesday 24th August, 6:00pm @ Dendy Opera Quays

Introduction and Q&A with Ryoo Seung-wan and KANG Hye-jeong-I

Friday 26th August, 6:00pm @ Dendy Opera Quays

Introduction and Q&A with Ryoo Seung-wan and KANG Hye-jeong-I

Saturday 27th August, 11:00am @ Dendy Opera Quays

YKFA Awards Ceremony presented by Ryoo Seung-wan and Elizabeth CONNOR

Saturday 27th August, 1:00pm @ Dendy Opera Quays

Meet the Director Forum with Ryoo Seung-wan

Saturday 27th August, 3:45pm @ Dendy Opera Quays

Industry Forum with Mathieu RAVIER and Richard GRAY

Sunday 28th August, 4:00pm @ Dendy Opera Quays

Industry Forum with Dr Leonid PETROV and Dr Jane PARK

Sunday 11th September, 5:00pm @ ACMI Cinemas

Industry Forum with Al COSSAR, Christian WERE and Adrian MARTIN

For press releases, guest bios, scheduling interviews and more information about these sessions or other events at the Korean Film Festival in Australia 2011, please contact Kieran Tully.

키에른 털리

Marketing & Festival Manager | Korean Cultural Office | kieran.tully@koreanculture.org.au

Marketing Director | Korean Film Festival | kieran.tully@koffia.com.au

Ground Floor, 255 Elizabeth St, Sydney, NSW, 2000

T: +61 (2) 8267 3477 | F: +61 (2) 8267 3401 | M: +61 (0) 424 161 501

We hope to see you at the festival.

HOLD ON TIGHT!