Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

September 3, 2009

PRIVATE EYE -- Film Review

By Maggie Lee

104512-Private_Eye341.jpg

"Private Eye."

Bottom Line: Lushly rendered period production design steals the scene from a regular crime plot.

Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival

BUCHEON, South Korea -- Seductive ambience and dapper style hold sway in "Private Eye," a lurid mystery that unearths serial murder, drug racketeering and sexual corruption in turn-of-the-19th-century Korea. Newcomer Park Dae-min shows promise as a director, spinning a rich, if sinuous yarn from his distended screenplay. Yet, his true calling maybe as art director, evident in the visual sophistication of his exquisitely costumed and ornately decorated production.

For entertainment value, "Private Eye" surpasses similar Korean films set in the Japanese colonial era with a patriotic theme, like "Once Upon a Time in Corea" or "Modern Boy." Standard genre elements, plus grisly, noirish scenes make it more commercially viable for Asian theaters and western ancillary.

Hong Jin-ho (Hwang Jang-min) is what one would call a "bedroom Richard" in a '50s noir film. The deadbeat gumshoe only takes adultery cases, so he refuses to dirty his hands when trainee-surgeon Gwang-soo (Ryu Deok-hwan) begs him to clear him of murder. Gwang-soo has discovered the body of Min Soo-hyun, the Interior Minister's son, just days after Min was declared missing from his blood-smeared room. He must find the killer before the police, eager for a fall-guy, makes him prime suspect.

Meanwhile, a similarly sensational murder is committed. Tempted by the reward and aided by female scientist Soon-duk's (Uhm Ji-won) handy inventions, Hong's sleuthing instincts lead him to an opium den, a circus and stately homes where he digs up evidence of sexual misbehavior implicating eminent men in the colonial administration.

Scattering many clues and coincidences to weave a web of intrigue that brings imperialist politics, class inequality and even female emancipation into play, there is much breadth in the narrative but tension gets diffused along the way. Violence escalates and culminates in a bloodbath so overblown it weighs on the sparky, light-hearted tone of the early acts.

"Private Eye" works best when purely indulging in nostalgia. Even small props like billboards and art curios are replete with quaint period detail. The filtered lighting wraps everything in the tender glow of lanterns and gaslight.

In the first act, a Keatonesque chase set to a Mariarchi score gives a lively tour through recreations of Seoul's historic Jong-no district, showing off the film's elaborate set design. The circus scenes are the film's crowning visual feat. A butterfly magic show, a knife-throwing stunt and a trapeze act are gorgeously filmed to muster the phantom air of Degas' paintings.

Hwang Jung-min, with his characteristic swagger, is tailor-made to play the dandy who's a gallant gentleman at heart. He has hearty comic rapport with Ryu, whose nerdy, cowardly character foils Hong's flamboyant heroics. Hong's advances to Soon-duk are too furtive to ignite much chemistry between the two leads.

Credits: hollywoodreporter.com

September 10, 2009

Hwang Jung Min cast in "The Wedding Singer" Musical

20090911.02500199040276.02M.jpg

Source: sports.khan.co.kr

Hwang Jung Min has confirmed his participation to be in the latest musical "The Wedding Singer" and is scheduled to begin full-scale rehearsals. The musical is adapted from the 2006 movie work in 1998 starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore which had also been shown in the Broadway musical. HJM will be working with actor Park Geun Hyung in the musical.

Hwang Jung-min takes the lead in Wedding Singer

September 11th, 2009 // by javabeans

Aw, this is one project I wish I could see in person. (Often I read about theater productions and feel left out by being halfway around the world.)

The always-wonderful film and theater actor Hwang Jung-min (Accidental Couple, Happiness) is taking on the lead role in the musical version of Wedding Singer, which is based on the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore comedy of the same name. The musical was first produced on Broadway in 2006 and is now being adapted for its first time on the Korean stage.

89191a.jpg

news2.cnbnews.com

The bright, heartwarming story of the musical is the same as the film, where a man dreams of being a songwriter but spends his days singing for weddings. Hwang Jung-min takes on this lead role, and will alternate performances with musical and film actor Park Gun-hyung, who made a name for himself performing in the musical Saturday Night Fever and more recently acted in Hamlet.

The musical will open on November 24 and run through January 31.

Via Mk.co.kr / dramabeans.com

• 2 weeks later...

September 22, 2009

Musical 'Wedding Singer' to Premiere in Seoul

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

090922_p17_musical.jpg

A Korean rendition of “The Wedding Singer,” the Broadway musical based on the 1998 film of the same name starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, will premiere in Seoul, starring Hwang Jung-min and Park Gun-hyung.

Better known as stars on the big screen, Hwang and Park will return to the stage to alternate playing the lead character, Robbie Hart, a wedding singer who dreams of becoming a successful composer.

Hwang is a household name after successful performances in the films "You Are My Sunshine'' (2005) and "Happiness'' (2007). But the award-winning actor first began his acting career in musical "Line 1'' (1995) and went on to star in various musicals such as "Jesus Christ Superstar,'' "Cats,” "42nd Street” and “Nine.”

“I starred in 'Nine' because I wanted to break the bias against the musical genre, which is regarded as being lighthearted and entertaining, and to introduce its diverse spectrum to the audience. But when I was doing ‘Nine,’ I felt difficulty in communicating with the audience and began thinking about what the audience really wants to see. So I have decided to do ‘The Wedding Singer’ and this work will give me the opportunity to narrow the gap between the audience and actors. I will become Robbie Hart on stage to enjoy the experience with the audience," Hwang said in a press release.

Park will also make his return to the stage as the wedding singer. Park previously performed in ``Saturday Night Fever,'' which catapulted him to musical stardom. He has starred in films such as “Dancing Princess” and “Riverbank Legends” and in the recent musicals “Beautiful Game,” “Hamlet” and “The Three Musketeers.” “I have a special feeling toward this work because it is adapted from my favorite movie. Also, the cast members are the ones with whom I am collaborating for the first time,’’ said Park.

For the role of Julia Sullivan, a waitress, Bang Jin-ui, renowned for “Hairspray” and “My Scary Girl” has been selected. Kim So-hyang, known for her work in “Aida” and “Dreamgirls,” and Yoon Gong-ju of “Man of La Mancha” and “200-Pounds Beauty” take the role of Holly, a friend of Julia.

The musical was first staged on Broadway in 2006. A Swedish production and a Spanish version premiered in 2007, with the Japanese version opening in Tokyo in 2008. Other foreign productions are scheduled for Finland, Germany and Australia.

The musical will feature disco music, heart-pumping group dances and brilliant stage costumes in the story of finding a true love between youngsters who are wandering between a romantic dream and reality.

The show will be staged from Nov. 24 to Jan. 31 at the Chungmu Art Hall.

Credits; chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

• 4 weeks later...

October 21, 2009

Hwang hopes not to be nuisance for "Wedding Singer"

Reporter : Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

2009102117383531972_1.jpg

The cast of musical "Wedding Singer" at the press conference [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

A guy who sweats hard while singing a song at a wedding and a guy who proposes with a romantic guitar performance. This guy, who may seem like two different people, is an aspiring songwriter named Robbie Hart, the wedding singer. The 1998 hit film starring Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler has transformed into a musical and landed in Korea. The press conference for musical “The Wedding Singer”, set for a world premiere in Korea on November 27, was held at Doosan Art Center on October 20.

2009102117383531972_2.jpg

Demonstration performance from "Wedding Singer" [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The character who leads the musical “The Wedding Singer” is none other than Robbie Hart. The timid yet romantic Robbie will be played by actors Hwang Jung-min and Park Geon-hyeong, who both started in theater but are now better suit movie stars. The two actors grabbed attention during the 20-minute demonstration performance by showcasing two very different Robbies. Hwang put forth his unique country-style appeal, while Park who “got a perm for the first time ever” is likely to capture the audience with his cheeky charm. Besides the attractiveness of Robbie's character, many of the cast and crew members say the musical set in the 1980s offers plenty of “cheerful and energetic” performances. With powerful choreography and disco music representing the 80s style, the love between Julia and Robbie who sing “I'll even let you hold the remote control” will melt the cold hearts of the audience. Like director Choi Sung-shin said he hopes to make “a story where we can share our hearts”, will the musical “Wedding Singer” be able to deliver warmth and happiness to us during the cold year-end? The musical is set to run from November 27 to January 31 at Chungmu Art Hall. Below are excerpts from a joint interview after the highlight demo performance.

2009102117383531972_3.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min as Robbie [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: You are working on a lot of things besides TV dramas and movies. Is there a special reason you chose to star in the musical “Wedding Singer”?

Hwang Jung-min (Hwang): I had received many offers these days. Personally, what I consider important is communication with the audience. So communication becomes a criteria for selecting my next work. Last time, I did the musical “Nine” but the communication wasn’t so great at the time. (laugh) Personally, I wanted to show that the musical genre isn’t just about happy, cheerful stories but the audience had a hard time with it. So then, I thought, what if I did something more light, happy and cheerful? I'm sometimes a nuisance at the rehearsal studio because I’m old, (laugh) but I’m trying to go with a young attitude. I’m not going have surgeries because I’m old. (laugh)

2009102117383531972_4.jpg

Actor Park Geon-hyeong as Robbie [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: The main character Robbie Hart is going to be played by two actors, Hwang Jung-min and Park Geon-hyeong. You two have different images and you both displayed different charms during the demonstration performance. How are getting into the character?

Hwang: I am currently working on sharing my thoughts [about the character] with Geon-hyeong. What I can tell you for sure is that I at least want our curly hairstyles to be different. (laugh) The most important thing is that there is only one Robbie Hart and we have to show him in a way that will make the audience feel the same way about him. But the character is played by two different actors so it is going to be different. In a way, I think that’s a good thing for the musical.

Park Geon-hyeon (Park): We have different images so there will be scenes that suit us better separately. But that’s not much of a problem -- I think it will be a fun element. So, what I’m saying is, you must see the show twice. (laugh)

2009102117383531972_5.jpg

Actress Bang Jin-ui as Julia [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: I don’t think you two are clearly explaining the difference of the two Robbies. How does it look different to your co-star Bang Jin-ui?

Bang: First, they are not the same age. (laugh) I don’t really know yet. It’s been two weeks since we started rehearsing and it would be a lie to say that I know the difference. While Hwang is awkward around me, he’s down-to-earth and honest. On the other hand, Geon-hyeon is a little cheesy. His stares are a little overwhelming. (laugh) In those aspects, I guess you could say they are opposites. But what they have in common is that they both rehearse very very hard.

Q: Park recently finished the musical “Three Musketeers”. What kind of transformation are you preparing for this show?

Park: I got my first perm ever. (laugh) Just as Jeong-min hates his naturally curly hair, I'm tired of my straight hair. (laugh) It could be said that the “Three Musketeers” was a western historical play. (laugh) But “Wedding Singer” is different from my previous works. In the past, most of the musicals I did contained a lot of powerful choreography, but this one is different. Robbie is not a quiet character but acting-wise, he is a little more quiet and timid than the previous characters I played. The decisive factor in taking on this musical was because it was a happy story. I want to deliver this feeling of happiness to the audience.

Q: Since it is based on a film, there are memories of the lovely Drew Barrymore from the movie. How do you plan to portray Bang Jin-ui’s version of Julia?

Bang Jin-ui (Bang): To be honest, I do feel some pressure because Drew Barrymore was so great. But I think she could still come off as a lovely character if I do my best with the situation. I didn’t have a particularly different approach to the character. I’m going to practice very hard with the two Robbies.

2009102117383531972_6.jpg

Actress Yoon Gong-joo as Holly [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: When you think of Yoon Gong-joo in the musicals “Grease”, “Caffeine” and “All Shook Up”, one automatically thinks of Julia. Is there a reason you chose to play the part of Holly, Julia’s friend?

Yoon Gong-joo: I actually prepared for the audition as Julia. But then I started hearing that Holly was a very attractive role, so I looked up all the performance videos and the movie. When I saw them again, I realized that Holly is the one that makes Julia shine. And Holly is a very passionate dancer. I think I also wanted to dance. (laugh) Most people think that I have the image for Julia's part, but I personally wanted to break that image.

Q: Only one person, Bang Jin-ui, has been cast to play Julia. You act with the two Robbies, Hwang and Park, who would you say is closer to your ideal man?

Hwang: Say Geon-hyeong. I’m married. (laugh)

Bang: I’ll go with Park Geon-hyeong since there is more of a chance. (laugh) It's going to be tough rehearsing in the future.

Reporter : Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr l Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr l <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> asiae.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...

Four character posters for Lee Jun-ik’s new film

November 2nd, 2009 // by javabeans

King and the Clown director Lee Jun-ik’s latest movie, Like the Moon Escaping from Clouds [구르믈 버서난 달처럼], has released character posters for its four leads, and they are simply gorgeous.

Based on a manhwa created by Park Heung-yong, this movie is set in the Joseon era as a revolutionary attempts to upend the social order and become king. The year is 1592 as the three lead males “are forced to wield their swords at each other in a fateful showdown.”

The lead character (the revolutionary) is played by City Hall’s Cha Seung-won, while Hwang Jung-min plays a blind sword master; his Accidental Couple co-star Baek Sung-hyun takes on a character abandoned by his family and the world. As the sole female lead, Han Ji-hye plays a woman who risks all to claim the man she loves.

Like the Moon Escaping from Clouds will be released in the first half of 2010.

Han Ji-hye’s poster reads: “I’m not in my dreams, am I? –Baek Ji” [X]

Cha Seung-won’s tagline below reads: “I’ll cut down this rotten world with my sword. –Lee Mong-hak” [X]

Hwang Jung-min’s reads: “A swordsman must hide behind his sword. –Hwang Jung-hak”

cloudmoon3.jpg

Baek Sung-hyun’s poster: “I’m son of a dog, a son of a richard simmons. –Gyeon Ja” [X]

Via Segye, credits to dramabeans.com

• 1 month later...

Hwang Jung Min on "Come to play"

Posted on 30 November 2009 by ay_link

Source: http://www.jazzholic.com/2009/11/30/hwang-...n-come-to-play/

20091201005713626h1_010028_0.jpg

Hwang Jung Min reveals about how he proposed to his wife

On MBC talk show, "Yu Jae Seok Kim Won Hee's Come To Play" on November 30, Hwang Jung Min and Park Gun Hyung appeared as guest-stars. Hwang Jung Min revealed that he has known his wife for about 10 years, and they got married in 2004. "The proposal was nothing special," he said, "there was a lot of alcohol that night, and after I asked her to marry me, I slept all through the night with my manager."”

Then he continued, "Since a wedding is supposed to be a once in a lifetime deal, I wanted to do a traditional wedding, but then she wanted to wear a wedding dress, so we cancelled the traditional wedding."

2009113022562816802_095301_0.jpg

Through Hwang Jung Min's appearance together with Park Gun Hyung and Kim Jae Dong, they all were having a great time on "Come to play". When Hwang Jung Min was asked, what are the three most unforgettable events in his life, he mentioned being casted in the movie "Waikiki Brothers", his first baby was born on September 5, and also when he got married to his wife.

20091201160815349b0_170912_0.jpg

via Review Star

1_L_1259643820.jpg

1_L_1259643820_1.jpg

via Arts News

2009120110363214502_071004_0.jpg

via BNT News

20091201073957288e7_074919_0.jpg

via Newsen

20091201074022287e7_074918_0.jpg

via Newsen

20091201073939278e7_074914_0.jpg

via Newsen

20091201074107279e7_074914_0.jpg

via Newsen

20091201074043280e7_074915_0.jpg

via Newsen

20091201074033282e7_074913_0.jpg

via Newsen

credit as labelled + Yahoo

• 2 weeks later...

December 7, 2009

Hwang Jung-min and Ryu Seung-beom make a deal

December 7th, 2009 // by javabeans

200912071315422300_1.jpg

This should be a treat for fans: Hwang Jung-min and Ryu Seung-beom are acting together again — the two have been cast in the new film Unfair Deal [부당거래], a crime thriller that finds the leads wrapped up in a frustrating murder case.

Hwang Jung-min plays a police officer with a keen sense of intuition and outstanding investigation skills. Ryu Seung-beom is a hot-tempered rookie prosecutor who opposes Hwang in every little thing. With the investigation running into complication after complication, the two strike a secret deal that circumvents the police investigation.

This will be Hwang and Ryu’s second time working together, although it was almost their third. After appearing in the 2006 movie Bloody Tie, they had both been cast to work together in director Lee Jun-ik’s upcoming film, Like the Moon Escaping from Clouds, but Ryu ended up dropping out of the project.

Directing is Ryu Seung-wan of action film The City of Violence and action-comedy Dachimawa Lee. Unfair Deal will begin filming in March 2010.

Via OSEN l dramabeans.com

• 2 weeks later...

December 27, 2009

2010 Korean Cinema Lineup

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

091227_p16_1.jpg

Movies slated for release in 2010 include period pictures.

Above is the poster for Lee Jun-ik’s “Gureumeul Beoseonan Dalcheoreom”

(Like the Moon that Escaped the Cloud), starring Hwang Jung-min.

The past year represented hope and revitalization for Korean cinema. While problems such as piracy linger on, the forecast for 2010 cinema appears promising with diverse projects in the making.

Cineastes are finding inspiration from the past and are bringing remakes of Korean classics as well as unique period movies. Big action flicks are gearing up for the 60th anniversary of the Korean War (1950-53) while much-anticipated sequels will cater to fans. Furthermore, a couple of Hollywood projects will head here for shoots.

2009 in Review

Both commercial blockbusters and unique indie films pulled the industry out of a three-year slump and cineastes made their mark near and far.

Kim Choung-ryoul's documentary "Old Partner'' rewrote box-office history for the genre, while Yang Ik-june's "Breathless'' made waves by sweeping almost two dozen prizes at international festivals. Park Chan-ok's low-budget drama "Paju'' was well-received among critics and moviegoers and the micro-budget road movie ``Daytime Drinking'' gained popularity near and far.

The positivity peaked in the summer. The success of the sports movie "Take-Off'' fed directly into the big-time box office scores set by the tsunami blockbuster "Haeundae,'' which drew over 10 million audience members in Korea for the first time in three years since ``The Host'' in 2006.

Stars shined strongly through the big screen. Korean actors debuted in foreign works, most notably Lee Byung-hun in "G.I. Joe'' and Rain in "Ninja Assassin,'' while Kim Myung-min made headlines for shedding 20 kilograms for his role in "Closer to Heaven.''

Celebrity directors also made long-awaited returns. Park Chan-wook revisited the Cannes Festival with his vampire flick "Thirst'' while Bong Joon-ho made a splash with the thriller "Mother.''

On the flip side, illegal online distributions of "Haeundae,'' before its release in Chinese theaters, and of "Thirst,'' before DVD sales opened in the United States, led to big financial blows and signaled the red light on piracy. The country's top stars, including Jang Dong-gun and Kim Tae-hee, stepped up as representatives for the anti-piracy campaign: "Good Downloader."

Meanwhile, imported 3D movies tapped into the local theater market. While the number of theaters catering to the genre remains relatively small, there seems to be growing reception for 3D films. Animations such as "Monster vs. Aliens'' and "Up'' drew family audiences while "Avatar,'' new in theaters, has drawn over 1 million audiences in the shortest timeframe among 2009 films.

2010 Forecast

Back to Classics

During Korean cinema's Golden Age of the 1960s, well over 100 films rolled out per year (more than 200 from 1968 to 1969), and cineastes are finding inspiration in films from that time. Classics never go out of style, and next year, "The Housemaid'' (1960) and "Manchu'' (1966) will be reborn as modern reinterpretations.

Kim Ki-young's psychological thriller "The Housemaid'' fetes its 50th anniversary next year with the remake by Im Sang-soo. Award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon will play the film's lead character, a housemaid who becomes entangled in a dangerous love triangle with a middle class couple. It's slated for release in May.

The upcoming reinterpretation of Lee Man-hee's "Manchu'' will bring together top Asian stars, hallyu heartthrob Hyun Bin and Chinese actress Tang Wei, who is best known as the heroine of Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution.'' The joint Korea-United States project will be directed by Kim Tae-yong ("Family Ties") and will be set in the U.S. Kim Ki-young based his 1975 film "Promises'' on "Manchu,'' while Kim Su-yong also made a version of the film in 1981.

Another whiff of the past comes through Yoon Jeong-hee, a top star in the 1960s. She will return to the big screen after a 16-year hiatus in "Si'' (Poem) by Lee Chang-dong, former culture minister and director of "Secret Sunshine.'' The movie is about a woman in her mid-60s who, while raising her teenage grandson, makes her first attempt at composing poetry. It is scheduled for release in May.

Tradition Prevails

The popularity of exotic period movies is expected to continue. Kim Dae-woo, who mixed modern humor with Joseon Kingdom (1391-1910) palace life in "Forbidden Quest,'' finds inspiration in the folk tale "Chunhyang'' for a modern rendition called "Bang-ja Jeon'' (Bang-ja Chronicles). It will star top talents Kim Ju-hyuk, Ryu Seung-beom and Cho Yeo-jung.

"The King and the Clown'' director Lee Jun-ik returns with an action-packed Joseon-era piece, "Gureumeul Beoseonan Dalcheoreom'' (Like the Moon that Escaped the Cloud). Actor Hwang Jung-min stars as a legendary blind swordsman opposite Cha Seung won, who plays a revolutionary.

Master director Im Kwon-taek will present his 101st film, "Dalbit Gireo Oligi'' (Scooping Up the Moonlight), about the art of making "hanji'' or Korean traditional paper. Starring award-winning actress Kang Soo-yeon, the movie is due to premiere at the Jeonju International Film Festival in April.

Korean War in Memoriam

Next year marks the 60th anniversary of the Korean War and big budget action flicks boasting male bravado are in tow. "Pohwa Sogeuro'' (In the Crossfire), to open in theaters in June, will depict a 12-hour conflict that ensued between 71 student soldiers and a North Korean troop along the Nakdong River. Directed by Lee Jae-han, the film boasts a star-studded male cast, including T.O.P., a member of the K-pop band Big Bang; Kwon Sang-woo; Cha Seung-won; and Kim Seung-woo.

Director Kim Yeo-bing will bring "The Red Muffler 2,'' which is virtually a sequel to the famous 1964 Shin Sang-ok film about pilots during the Korean War. The grandson of the lead actor of the classic film will star in the movie. Plans are for an October release.

Meanwhile, the 2002 maritime conflict between the two Koreas near Yeonpyeong Island has inspired two films: "Areumdaun Uri'' (Beautiful Us) and "Yeonpyeong Haejeon'' (Yeonpyeong Naval Battle). The first film, directed by "Friend'' helmer Kwak Kyoung-taek, is scheduled to go into production in March for a year-end release as a 20-billion-won 3D film. The latter movie, directed by Baek Un-hak ("Tube''), is a 12-billion-won project that will open in theaters in May.

Star Directors, Actors

Kang Woo-suk, who appeared as a producer this year with "Baekyahaeng'' (Walking the White Night), will return as a director with "Ikki'' (Moss). The "Public Enemy'' series helmsman has based his new thriller on the eponymous Web cartoon series by Yoon Tae-ho. Popular actors Park Hae-il and Jung Jae-young star in the movie, about a hermetic rural village harboring secrets. It is slated for release in the first half of 2010.

Na Hong-jin, who made a name for himself through the 2008 hit film "The Chaser,'' teams up with his former male leads, Ha Jung-woo and Kim Yoon-seok, in another thriller, "The Murderer.'' Ha plays the role of a Korean-Chinese hit man who himself becomes a target of another hit man. The 11-billion-won project is targetting a summer release.

Kim Ji-woon ("Bittersweet Life'') will offer fans a horror thriller, "Ayeoldaeui Bam'' (Night in the Subtropics). "Old Boy'' star Choi Min-sik will play the role of a vengeful man who sets out to catch the psychopath who killed his fiancee.

Song Hae-sung, who directed "Maundy Thursday,'' will remake the 1986 Hong Kong noir flick "A Better Tomorrow'' starring heartthrobs Song Seung-hun, Joo Jin-mo and Kim Kang-woo. "Il Mare's '' Lee Hyun-seung has cast actors Song Kang-ho and Kim Seung-woo in "Bamangae'' (Night Mist).

The dominance of testosterone-driven films, however, means not-so-great news for productions of melodrama and for actresses. The makers of "Sinaro Project,'' a romantic comedy, are reportedly having difficulty casting male actors, many of whom are already tied up with other projects.

Sequels

Moviegoers can look forward to sequels of box office hits. Kim Sang-jin's "Attack the Gas Station'' starring Yoo Ji-tae drew in 2.4 viewers in 1999. Kim will handle the megaphone for the second installment, which will star younger actors, including Ji Hyun-woo and Jo Han-sun. It is touted for release in January.

The culinary comic book-turned-hit film "Le Grand Chef'' (Shikgaek) will also be followed by a sequel dubbed "Kimchi War.'' Jin Gu, who received critical acclaim for his supporting role in "Mother,'' will star as an aspiring chef who competes to make kimchi against his Japanese counterparts. It will open in theaters in February.

Also awaiting fans are sequels to the 2008 teen slasher "Death Bell'' and the 2006 tearjerker "Hearty Paws."

Hollywood in Korea

Next year the country will be host to not only local projects but also Hollywood films. Erin Brevig, who directed last year's computer graphics-packed "Journey to the Center of the Earth,'' will direct a big-budget 3D film about the Korean War, said Madmedia. The script is set to be ready by early next year and preproduction is to be completed by October. The shooting is scheduled to begin here around November. Brevig is said to have been inspired after watching Kang Je-gyu's Korean War blockbuster "Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War.'' It is slated for release in 2012.

Another Tinseltown venture that will find its way to Korea is an American remake of the local horror movie "Phone.'' Imprint Entertainment, which produced the "Twilight'' saga, drew up a budget of $10 million for the project, Miro Vision, the Korean leg of the project, recently announced at a press conference. The filming will begin in Korea during the second half of 2010 for a 2011 release.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

December 29, 2009

A Newbie Reviews 2009 [Year In Review, Part 3]

December 29th, 2009 // by Samsooki

What worked for me in 2009

That Fool

This drama, with Hwang Jung Min and Kim Ah Joong, takes a hackneyed plot – the fake relationship plot, and makes it work beautifully, at least for a dozen episodes or so. If you’ve watched k-dramas, you know the fake relationship plot. You’ve breathed it, and you’ve dreamed it. You’ve watched Full House, and you wonder when Rain (or SHG for the guys) will ask you to be in a fake relationship with him/her. Why can’t such a thing happen to me? And now, in this cute drama, That Fool, an honest, rather idealistic postal employee / everyman ahjussi lives that very dream. Is it predictable? Oh, absolutely. Is it believable? No, not really… but do we really want to talk about how realistic Full House was?

In the end, this drama works because Kim Ah Joong is simply stunning, because Hwang Jung Min is heart-warming, and because That Fool basically takes the movie Notting Hill and turns it into a 16 episode series with a Full House kind of twist. At first I was not convinced because I started this drama about halfway in, but I restarted this series from the beginning, and boy did I fall for it the second time around. Lee Chung Ah as Dong Baek’s younger sister is a gem throughout this series.

MORE AT dramabeans.com

A little late and lonely finding this but it's always a good day to read & sharing about HJM, no matter what :blush:

Related HJM excerpt only --

[FOCUS] The 16 stars of 2009 - Part 1

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun ,Wee Geun-woo ,Yoon Hee-Seong Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Jessica Kim

Meeting a star, especially one who is at the peak of their career, is exciting and thrilling even for reporters. Hence we at 10Asia also share our opinions on the celebrity we interview amongst ourselves, re-living the emotions we felt while exchanging dialogue with a top actor or artist. But the most exciting moment is when the star we all know, emerges as someone with distinctions of their own during the interview. An interview becomes not work, but a memory of an encounterance with someone when that celebrity turns from a star in the media to a person we are engaged in a conversation with. For the first time in a year, 10Asia reveals those memories with the public.

2009123118394321411_5.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The one time that actor Hwang Jung-min spoke conclusively during our interview was when he showed his conviction about walking the path of acting. "After becoming interested about the stage and how it feels to be that person on stage, I've never thought of anything else. That I never swayed -- that is one thing I can say with confidence." His responses may have looked like they were memorized off an answer sheet if he had seemed proud or too sure of his statements. But he revealed his honest affection to take on "a film you can watch for two hours without thinking of anything else" because he heard "the viewers' react right away and very directly which would be fun." That is why I do not have an inkling of doubt in my mind that he was being genuine the single time he gave a conclusive answer. Hwang will continue to show his own feat on the single path of acting.

Source: 10.asiae.co.kr

• 1 month later...

February 12, 2010

Comedian Kim Claims Credit for Star Actor's Success

Seasoned actor Hwang Jeong-min has appeared on Kim Seung-wu's talk show "Win Win," which airs Tuesdays at 11:05 p.m. on KBS2TV.

20100210001266_r.jpg

news.nate.com

Hwang and Kim are on the same celebrity baseball team, so the two -- close friends -- led a friendly chat on the show.

In the show's Secret Guest corner this week, comedian Kim Hyeon-cheol was a surprise guest. He talked about his friendship with Hwang, which he traced back to their college years. When they were attending the Seoul Institute of the Arts, Kim was the president of the school's drama club.

One time the club was recruiting freshmen members, but Kim allowed Hwang, who wasn't a freshman, to join the club because he saw Hwang was passionate about acting. Kim proudly claimed that it was due to him that Hwang was able to become the star actor he is now.

On the show, Hwang showed off his bashful personality when he blushed at Sooyoung, a member of the idol girl band Girls' Generation who also was a surprise guest. But he also entertained the audience with his comical rendition of the girl band's hit song "GEE."

Then the star actor became serious and genuine about his ceaseless passion for acting when he talked about one of his earliest films, "Road Movie," and his first drama series, "The Accidental Couple."

Win Win airs every Tuesday night and is hosted by actor Kim Seung-wu and assistant MC Wooyoung, a member of the popular boy band 2PM who is known to constantly crack jokes.

Writer: Honorary reporter Kim In-hwa

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi - KBS Global

201002092356281001_1.jpg

http://news.nate.com/view/20100209n22404

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teukiie

Actors Jang Dong Gun, Kim Seung Woo, Hwang Jung Min, Ji Jin Hee, Gong Hyun Jin and actress Lee Ha Na have come together to form the musical group, Actor’s Choice.

As they call themselves the Actor’s Choice, the six debuted their special project called We Online O.S.T. The group recorded and sang their first track together titled We, and plans to release the music video very soon.

The actors know that times are pretty tough right now so they created this song so that no matter how hard life gets this song will be able to cheer a person up and give them hope. The track is 5minutes and 30 seconds of the actors’ true sincere feelings.

A teaser documentary/BTS will be released on the 3rd and the full music video will be released on the 5th.

Source: http://www.allkpop.com/2010/03/6-actors-un...a-musical-group

See more pictures at the source!

March 4, 2010

‘WE’ are singing for charity

ft_1267630681_1148890686_0.jpg

cocochoi201003032255040.jpg

Jang Dong-gun said a song he recorded with five other actors, titled “WE,” would soon be released as a CD single. Under the name Actors Choice, Jang, Kim Seung-woo, Hwang Jeong-min, Kong Hyeong-jin, Ji Jin-hee, and Lee Ha-na originally recorded the song, written by popular composer Joo Young-hoon, for an online game. They will donate the profits to charity.

The music video will be available for viewing tomorrow on various music sites and on the official Web page for the project.

By Hannah Kim Contributing writer via joongangdaily.joins.com / news.nate.com