Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

21 K-Drama Superlatives From 2020

Many things have been up in the air this year. (And no that’s not an airborne virus joke). Travels, studies, work, leisure, relationships, etc. have all been impacted one way or another. But there’s one thing that remains constant and that’s K-dramas. And with that, here is our annual superlative roundup.

Despite the particularly difficult year, we can still find the silver lining and be thankful that we’ve at least had a strong showing in K-dramas to help us get through our stuck-at-home days. We’ve seen plenty of fantasy, sci-fi, and even makjang dramas, though there does seem to be less sageuks this year. Cable channels in particular have gifted us with well-written, well-produced, and well-cast dramas.

To honor the dramas that have accompanied and provided us with healing or have just been a form of escapism, I give you, in no particular order, 2020’s superlatives.

Now before you get up in arms about not seeing your favorite drama, please note that this is not a list of the best dramas of 2020, but rather a fun, silly way to take a stroll down memory lane. So feel free to head down to the comments section and nominate superlatives for all the other deserving dramas!

Disclaimer: This article only includes dramas that premiered between December 1, 2019, and November 30, 2020. Also, minor spoilers ahead!

Most complicated love triangle (or five-angle)

Criminal-Minds-Mama-Fairy-and-the-Woodcu

When I say complicated, I mean complicated. (Refer to the above infographic if you get lost). Basically, once upon a time, there were two behavioral analysts working in the National Criminal Investigation unit named Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won (“Criminal Minds”). One day, Moon Chae Won decides she’s had enough of crime-fighting and becomes a fairy. She falls in love with a woodcutter, and after he dies, she waits 600+ years for him to reincarnate. That’s when she comes across two potential candidates, Yoon Hyun Min and Seo Ji Hoon (“Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter”).

Unfortunately, Moon Chae Won just can’t figure out which of them is her husband, so she just ditches them both and goes back to her first love — crime-fighting and Lee Joon Gi — who turns out to be her real husband after all (“Flower of Evil”). And what happens to Yoon Hyun Min and Seo Ji Hoon, the two spurned men? They figure that a fairy who can’t recognize them isn’t really worth their time, so they move on and turn their attention to Hwang Jung Eum instead (“To All The Guys Who Loved Me”).

They also may or may not have continued their bromance.

Basically, this AU fanfiction is just a way of saying, how on earth did we get so many coincidental pairings and reunions this year?! And just to be very clear, none of the above actually happened (not in the literal sense at least), so actors… please don’t sue me.

Start watching “Flower of Evil”: 

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

394eabceda5128a5d564ee7cb61f7c8e1c8967b9

Lee Joon Gi’s interview with Marisol (2021/01/01)

(source – https://marisol.hpplus.jp/article/63336/01/)

Q. Can you tell us about the role you play in Flower of Evil, Baek Hee Seong?

JG – I play Do Hyun Soo who lives as Baek Hee Seong. For 14 years, he has concealed his cruel past, lived under a false identity, made a family of his own to live a new life, deceived his loving wife, and pretended to love her. I was hoping that you (viewers) would also feel all kinds of emotions while watching Do Hyun Soo’s story, such as tension and thrill, throughout all the 16 episodes. That is what I focused on when I played this role.

Q. Why did you choose to star in this drama?

JG – It was not an easy decision to make. Because I thought I was not suited for this character, and that in depicting this character’s story – whether in real life or in terms of my acting career – I was probably too young to play such a character with so much depth. (Laughs) So I thought long and hard about it and felt under a lot of pressure. Of course, it was the director and the production team who offered me the role, but I really thought very hard about it. Many people around me tried to persuade me to take it, saying that it would be a new challenge for me and another turning point in my acting career. Moon Chae Won also suggested I do it, cheering me on. That this character, Do Hyun Soo, is the center of this drama, and it might be difficult to play; but this is a role that Lee Joon Gi could do, and it would be an opportunity for me to broaden my range as an actor. Since so many people around me said things like that to me, I thought very hard about those things, read the script over and over, and studied it for a long time. Then I thought that this is a very unique drama and it was so amazing how it had two conflicting values – thriller and romance – in it. So I thought, ‘This is a challenge and it will help me grow further.’ I think it is a challenge I took on in my career as an actor. It was a challenge rather than a choice.

Q. Of the scenes and lines you performed, can you tell us about one that you find particularly memorable?

JG – Each and every scene was not easy as they all lead to the story that comes later. It is very difficult to choose one particular scene. Each episode has some great scenes. All of those scenes were necessary to trace the life of Do Hyun Soo. However, if I had to choose one, it would be the scene where the emotions of Do Hyun Soo, who cannot feel anything, are released for the first time. I worried a lot about how to express that kind of emotional release, which comes from the desperation of not wanting to lose what he values most when he is forced into this extreme situation. I thought if not done properly, that scene would not be convincing. I thought, to viewers, that emotional release might seem so sudden especially after they have followed so closely the emotions and situations of Do Hyun Soo all along. It could make all the relationships [Hyun Soo has with other characters] fall to pieces, throw the drama off balance, and even cause what Do Hyun Soo has been picturing to fall apart. In that sense, the scene where Hyunsoo bursts out crying for the first time in front of Jiwon was very difficult, but I think many viewers also felt his sadness and found it heartbreaking. This is a scene where Hyunsoo lets out all the emotions he’s feeling in front of Jiwon, and it is precisely because of this scene that Jiwon once again begins to trust Do Hyun Soo, the husband she so loves. It was difficult throughout starting with the rehearsal, and we constantly made changes, but the director continued to come up with ideas and I discussed with him what I had prepared. We put a lot of thought into that scene. Thankfully, viewers also felt sad while watching it, so I find that scene memorable.

Q. In the drama, you performed the duality of your character with delicacy. Do you feel that you, Lee Joon Gi, have two sides?

JG – I think everyone has two sides. In this day and age, though, doesn’t everyone live a life where they hide themselves while always thinking about how they look to the world? I do think everyone lives this way, hiding themselves… Of course, I also have two sides to me. I think I am more careful and hesitant than I may look to others out there; sometimes I can be a bit calculating and living with my own thoughts. Then when I come back to ‘Lee Joon Gi’ as I originally am, I think there is quite a deep side of me. As I get older these days, I have started asking myself, “What should I do to live in balance?” Isn’t it something everyone has on their mind? I think many people put on an act to a degree, just as Hyunsoo does. When you think about it, we live in an age where we cannot live expressing all our emotions, don’t we?

Q. In Japan, we have this term “イクメン” [* ikumen = a man who actively takes pleasure in childcare; source – https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181127-ikumen-how-japans-hunky-dads-are-changing-parenting]. In the drama, there are ordinary scenes where you do housework and childcare. You performed those scenes very naturally and so perfectly. But do you enjoy housework in real life?

JG – Well, I lived alone for a long time since I left home at the age of 19 (laughs). I mean, I am interested in everything [about housework] but now I live with my sibling [little sister] so she does the housework and she does it very well. I don’t really do as much housework as I used to, but in the past, I especially loved cooking and making stuff for myself. Back in the military – and I was famous for this – I remember keeping things clean. If I get to have a family of my own, I will gladly take pleasure in childcare, cooking, and cleaning.

Q. It seems there are many people around the world who can’t go out as much as they want but spend more time at home due to Covid-19. Is there anything you have recently started because of the time we live in now?  

JG – Before [Covid-19] I had started and practiced jiu jitsu consistently for over 2 years. However, I had to stop all that because of Covid-19. Now it’s a time when I have to be careful about everything. I used to go to the gym regularly even during filming, but this year, I had no choice but to concentrate only on filming. Because, as a leading actor, I did not want to risk causing harm to anyone. So this year, I would say I stopped [jiu jitsu] for a while, rather than losing my hobby. Instead, I have started walking. I was very worried that if I did not train my body this way, I would get [easily] tired when I do something. Before I had started jiu jitsu, I’d loved walking anyway, so I started walking again. I started walking at the Han River, following all the infection prevention guidelines and putting on a thick mask. So when I went for a walk like this for the first time in a long time, it felt refreshing. I walk the same long trail I had taken before, and it is not just for exercising, but I enjoy walking while listening to music without thinking about anything, or while thinking about various things. I think walking around like that, completely free from any thoughts at all, ultimately helps refresh myself. I think life is similar to walking, so every time I go for a walk, I feel like I get to look back on my life, and I think that’s good. In every aspect, many people, not just me, are living restricted lives these days, but I hope that we all get through this and I suggest we do it by trying simple things, one by one, just as I do – so we can stay healthy both physically and mentally.

Q. What kind of genre and role do you want to try in the future?

JG – So far, I have done a lot of genre (-specific) works, like action and romance. You know, most Korean dramas have romance in them, and they always have romance aspects to them, don’t they? (laughs) Many of those fans who love me often tell me they want to see me in a romance, but hey, I have not done a single project that does not have romance in it. It is just that many of my works fall under the genres of action and thriller, but I think they all have romantic aspects to them… But after finishing this drama [Flower of Evil], I did feel like I had done a romantic drama (melodrama) I had been avoiding before. I think it blends thriller and romance harmoniously, and once again made me think a lot about what love is. I have always been interested in stories about loves, and I have always thought I want to express a love between man and woman, the most basic kind of love. If I can, I want to do a project that focuses on a love between man and woman. But even now, a lot of people think of ‘Lee Joon Gi’ when it comes to action, so I still get a lot of offers in that genre [action]. To directors [specializing] in the romance genre, please keep me in mind (laughs). Or else, I want to play a role where I let go of anything that’s weighing me down… I want to do a role where I get to express myself freely. Without being tied to a specific genre. I think this drama [Flower of Evil] made me desire such things.

Q. Lastly, is there any message you want to send to your Japanese fans who are about to watch Flower of Evil?

JG – In Korea, the drama received so much love from many fans and viewers, and I am so grateful. From the production team to the director, the writer, all the other staff, and the actors I worked with – everyone did their best and worked so hard on this, and it turned out to be a great drama. Guys, I am so happy you guys love the passion that went into this. I hope many watch Flower of Evil. Don’t miss it! I think that Covid-19 has been very hard on the fans in Japan as well. But health always comes first! I pray that we all follow the infection prevention guidelines, stay healthy, and get to meet one another very soon. Please stay healthy, and always stay happy. Thank you very much. [In Japanese] “See you again.”

Credit: @allaboutjoongi

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:43 PM, willenette said:

*** Lee Joon Gi has graced 2021’s first cover of Chinese fashion magazine, “WAVES 漫潮.” Wow, he looks so handsome here. So chic. They're the best of the best! I adore this man! :blush:

My favourite is this picture below: Mature Lee Joon Gi in a three piece suit is mesmerizing:wub:

EquKe-lXYAAZ_2n?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Love 5

7 More Must-Watch K-Dramas Of 2020

2020 is over, and what a year it has been. Although most of us are hoping to move on from 2020 and say goodbye to all the good and not so good memories the year had to offer, let’s take a look at some of the amazing dramas that were released this past year. If you’re interested in part one of this feature, you can check it out here. Now onto our list of seven more must-watch K-dramas of 2020.

Note: List is in no particular order.

5. “Flower Of Evil

Flower-of-Evil10.jpg

Lee Joon Gi stars alongside Moon Chae Won in the mystery thriller “Flower of Evil.” His character Baek Hee Sung is a perfect husband and doting father to a little girl. To the visible eye he is perfect, but there’s another life he leads – one filled with murder, deceit, and lies. His wife, Cha Ji Won, is a detective and is in the midst of a cat-and-mouse hunt that will lead her to her husband as the prime suspect. You’ll enjoy the mystery thriller aspect of the storyline but will also appreciate the incredible acting by our main leads.

“Flower Of Evil” is the perfect nail-biting mystery drama that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Not only is the story engaging in that you want to know what happens with every episode, but the acting is top notch. We wouldn’t expect anything less from veterans Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won. Lee Joon Gi’s dynamic acting skills and ability to show such a contrast in character is so engrossing that you’ll get lost in the drama.

lee-joon-gi.gif

Watch the first episode of “Flower Of Evil”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

• Love 3

15 Uncommon Korean Movie Recommendations

Evidently, Korea has a lot of depressing and wild films.

Many Korean movie recommendations have been said over the years, especially after Parasite won Best Picture. But what if you’ve already seen Parasite? What if you’ve already seen Train to Busan? Along with the Gods? My Sassy Girl? You’re done with “classics”. You want something else.

Well, you’ve come to the right place. These are great movies that are probably classics to someone, but the average/casual viewer may not have heard of them. Below are the 15 movies that are still quite popular and well-done but hardly ever recommended by other websites,

12. The King and the Clown

OXcNSt-ZUe5KIEuGDwknGF9FRiNDqJ53AtH-RQ-JNzf6pgQMnMc04TN5PPq0VuAI2w_vF-KmIPVOwSqI5kXcIjEq1XuxWJ2OmjeEmvqDz88N=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365 | IMDb

In the 16th-century Joseon Dynasty, a pair of rural male actors, boisterous, manly Jang Seng (Kim Woo Sung) and quiet, feminine Gong Gil (Lee Joon Gi), travel to Seoul and join a struggling acting troupe.

When their “disrespectful” show mocks the self-indulgent king, they are arrested but given the chance to live if they can make the king laugh. To everyone’s surprise, the king loves the show and makes the actors official court jesters, giving them extravagant food. However, the king’s attentiveness to Gong Gil makes it quickly apparent that humor isn’t the only thing motivating him. The king’s mistress, the country’s ministers, and Jang Seng soon realize, and jealousy and anger arise.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Koreaboo

https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/15-uncommon-korean-movie-recommendations/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

490f49a0327f14d894013590251d87efe3257fe5

(ENG translation) StarNews’ Exclusive Interview with Lee Joon Gi, winner of the Best Artist Award and the Asia Celebrity Award in the Acting category at the 2020 Asia Artist Awards (2021/01/11)

-

part 1

2020 was certainly a meaningful year for this actor, who won two awards at the 2020 Asia Artist Awards (“2020 AAA”) and made us look forward to the next step he’s going to take in 2021. That actor is none other than Lee Joon Gi.

At the 2020 AAA held last November, Lee Joon Gi won the Best Artist Award and the Asia Celebrity Award in the acting category.

He made a small-screen comeback after two years with tvN drama Flower of Evil, which aired last July, and went on to become a double award winner at the 2020 AAA, leaving us all wowed: “Of course! [**an expression used to say he lived up to his name**]”

In Flower of Evil, Lee Joon Gi plays Do Hyun Soo who lives as Baek Hee Seong, so that’s basically two characters in one role. Lee turned in a spine-chilling performance that took viewers by surprise, and the viewers were mesmerized by it. That’s probably why Lee gave Flower of Evil a special place when asked what winning the 2020 AAA awards meant to him:

“For me, ‘Flower of Evil’ was a truly meaningful project. We started filming in the spring of 2020 and continued to work until early winter, so we worked together for about a year. Winning the awards at the 2020 AAA made 2020 an even more meaningful year especially after I spent it working on ‘Flower of Evil.’ This is all because of those viewers and fans who showed love and support for ‘Flower of Evil.’ So thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

This is his second time winning at the AAA following the 2017 awards. The AAAs hold a special meaning for him.

"I am always grateful for the memories I have of the AAAs, not just this year but also 3 years ago (laughs). In particular, I am very well aware that I was honored with these awards because of my fans who showed me their unchanging love and support, so my heart is always full of gratitude, then as well as now. However, unlike 3 years ago, this year I could not meet my fans due to Covid-19. I sincerely hope and pray that Covid-19 ends as soon as possible so the next awards will be a festival where everyone gets to laugh and have fun together.”

Following Lee Joon Gi’s wins, international fans, as well as his Korean fans, left him messages of congratulations on his SNS account. He expressed his gratitude to his fans for showing him their unwavering support and love.

"I think I got these great results because of my fans who always cheer me on and send me love. This year must have been harder on them than any other year, yet they still did not forget to cheer me on and send me lots of love. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thanks to the support you gave me, I was able to cheer up and run this race till the very end. I hope you take good care of your health, and I am cheering you all on and wish you a year filled with happiness and joy in 2021. I will also work hard to show you a greater, better version of myself. Thank you.”

Lee Joon Gi is now the double award winner at the 2020 AAA. He confided that ‘Flower of Evil’ is such a special project for him because it put him where he is right now.

"To me, ‘Flower of Evil’ was a project that truly felt like a ‘gift’. It was my small-screen comeback project after two years, so I was constantly under pressure and worried so much, from the moment I chose to do this project and throughout the shoot. In fact, from the moment I received the script, the biggest thought in my head was ‘this is so difficult,’ and the project particularly made me worry a lot and wonder if I could do a good job. But now that I finished it all, looking back, I think those worries and those moments came together and brought into my life a time that feels like a gift. It was definitely the case when I was shooting, but even now, after finishing it, when I look back on that time, it is just filled with fun and happy memories.”

Lee Joon Gi also confided that the cast and the production crew he worked with on Flower of Evil also congratulated him on his wins at the 2020 AAA. He added that he regarded those awards as the honors he received along with those he’d worked together on the drama.

"(Following my wins at the 2020 AAA) everyone called me to offer their sincere congratulations. In the end, I think these awards are the honors I received along with all the actors and production crew who worked so hard together. So when we spoke to one another I remember saying thank you back to those I worked with.”

-

part 2

[Exclusive] Lee Joon Gi: “I worried so much I would end up playing a parody of myself in Flower of Evil’

StarNews’ Exclusive Interview with Lee Joon Gi, winner of the Best Artist Award and the Asia Celebrity Award in the Acting category at the 2020 Asia Artist Awards

In ‘Flower of Evil,’ Lee Joon Gi practically plays two characters in one role, in every aspect – from facial expressions to emotions, and to action performances. His portrayal of Do Hyun Soo, wrongly accused of murder, who lives as killer Baek Hee Seong, left an indelible impression on viewers. But Lee Joon Gi himself had difficulty playing this role who has polar opposites in him.

"Since Do Hyun Soo and Baek Hee Seong have completely different vibes to them, I had to think long and hard about how to play them. Plus, Do Hyun Soo is incapable of feeling emotions, so I had difficulty expressing this character on-screen. That’s why I paid particularly more attention to the reactions this character shows in his interactions with other various characters. Precisely because he is incapable of feeling, I thought every single reaction that comes from every tiny expression could be powerful and make the character more believable. So before the shoot began, I spent time with the director and the other actors exchanging ideas and tried hard not to miss any details.”

In Flower of Evil, Lee Joon Gi showed a mysterious but oddly attractive side of him as well: that is, his portrayal of a ‘father,’ which drew a positive response from viewers. Lee Joon Gi shared the behind-the-scenes story about this performance.

"I think the scenes I shared with my daughter Eun Ha (Jung Seo Yeon) really reflect a lot of my real-life self. In fact, on the days we had a shoot together, I remember deliberately showing up to work early to hang out with Seo Yeon so I could get closer to her. During the shoot, the director also left it all up to me when it came to the scenes of Hee Seong and Eun Ha. I guess that is probably why those scenes show more natural sides of us.”

Lee Joon Gi also told us about what kind of ‘father’ he thinks he should be.

“I dream of having a warm and happy family just like Baek Hee Seong’s, and I also want to become a good husband and good father. Working on Flower of Evil particularly made me think more about this, and the staff members I worked with saw me like this and told me, ‘I think you are going to have a really good life when married.’ I think when I become a father, I would look pretty much like what I looked like in Flower of Evil.”

Lee Joon Gi also heaped praises on Moon Chae Won and Kim Ji Hun he worked with and who helped make Flower of Evil a well-made drama.

“It always has been the case with every other project I worked on, but Flower of Evil particularly had a great ensemble cast. This was my second time working with Moon Chae Won, and she is the type of actor who is very detail-oriented and great at staying focused, so we helped each other a lot. I think I could make those emotions in Do Hyun Soo feel more desperate because of Cha Ji Won as performed by Chae Won. It was my first time working with Kim Ji Hun, but we have known each other for such a long time, so I was actually very excited about acting with him. The tension and impact Ji Hun delivered in Flower of Evil was so great that he left me feeling overwhelmed and thrilled. On top of that, we were very similar in our work style, so those times we spent together thinking over and discussing how to create great scenes left me such great memories."

In addition to Moon Chae Won and Kim Ji Hun, Lee Joon Gi also talked about working with Seo Hyun Woo and Jang Hee Jin, which he described as “awe-inspiring and stimulating.”

"It was so amazing working with Seo Hyun Woo as well. I had already been told he was a great actor, but when I actually got to act alongside him, he even surpassed my expectations. I think Seo Hyun Woo made a significant contribution to that early impactful scene where Do Hyun Soo’s true identity is revealed. I am so truly grateful to him and I want to work with him often on projects I’ll be doing in the future.

It was also my second time working with Jang Hee Jin. As soon as I heard Hee Jin had been cast in the role Do Hae Soo, I thought, ‘There we go!’ I mean that’s how much I trusted and relied on her. Normally, she is a cheerful and positive person, but when the shoot begins, she instantly gets into character and shows an entirely different side of her. Working with her on Flower of Evil, I found her a great inspiration and thanks to her, we had a great chemistry.”  

In Flower of Evil, Lee Joon Gi made us say, “Of course, that’s Lee Joon Gi,” leaving us in awe. In every project he was in, he gave such an impressive performance. In Flower of Evil, he wanted to show a side of him that people had not seen before.

"Each time I work on a new project, I constantly think about what I should do to show people a new side of me. The thing that worried me the most while preparing for Flower of Evil was what if I ended up playing a parody of myself. But the more I read the script, the more I thought up images in my head that were completely new, unique, and different from the roles I had played before. Imagining such things was such an appealing part of the process. Then, when developing those two characters – Do Hyun Soo and Baek Hee Seong, I worked hard to set my character apart in terms of various details so that it would be a completely new character people had never seen before.”

-

part 3

[Exclusive] Lee Joon Gi: “I’m sending you cheers and pray we get to return to normal in 2021”  

StarNews’ Exclusive Interview with Lee Joon Gi, winner of the Best Artist Award and the Asia Celebrity Award in the Acting category at the 2020 Asia Artist Awards

In Flower of Evil, Lee Joon Gi gave a powerful performance shifting between good and evil. For each project he is in, he creates a character that only Lee Joon Gi can do. With expectations mounting for his next project, people wonder what kind of role the actor himself wants to play.

"I am still thinking hard about how to show a ‘new’ side of me in my next project. I want to show fans a melodramatic side of me that they want to see in me; I also want to go the action route all the way. Or, if I am given an opportunity then I want to come back with a historical drama after a long while. For now, I am keeping an open mind for a lot of possibilities.”

Lee Joon Gi’s work has spanned various genres, from drama, film, to romance, and to thriller. But there is this one specific genre he wants to try:

"I did a melodrama in Flower of Evil, but it is a ‘suspense melodrama,’ so I don’t think it had as many melodramatic scenes as I’d thought it would, which I regretted a little (laughs). So if I get an opportunity I want to try a real classic melodrama.”

So Lee Joon Gi wants to try a real classic melodrama. Asked what he wants to show in the future, he talked about “touching hearts”:

"I want to be an actor who can help people heal through my work; an actor who works consistently and diligently for a long time and can touch hearts like it’s a gift [for people]. When it comes to the character and the genre, I want people to see me taking on various kinds of challenges, instead of having a certain set of criteria. One of the things I consider most important when choosing a project is ‘human love.’ I want to comfort and touch people by giving a performance rich in emotions like that.”

2020 was a year that saw him in Flower of Evil and at the 2020 AAA winning awards. It is now last year, but he described 2020 as a “year I will not forget forever.”

"It was a year that was very hard but made me feel grateful and happy. I think, for many people, 2020 will be remembered as a hard year [due to Covid-19]. However, even amid a global crisis like this, I am so grateful that I met this drama ‘Flower of Evil’ and got to spend almost all of the four seasons on the set. So many things changed on set due to Covid-19, but we had good people coming together and doing their best to stay safe. Because of them, we could finish it safely without problems, for which I am grateful. I was very happy I got to comfort viewers through this drama this past year that was so hard on us, and I was also deeply touched by the viewers. 2020 was truly a year I will not forget forever.”

Now 2020 is gone, and the new year has begun. Welcoming 2021, Lee Joon Gi sent a New Year’s message to the readers of StarNews:

"It feels like just a short while ago that I said hello to you through Flower of Evil last year, but the new year has already begun. Because of the big love and support you sent me last year, 2020 was such an unforgettable year. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Most of us are still in difficult times due to Covid-19, but I’m sending you cheers and sincerely pray that we get to return to normal in 2021 as soon as possible. As an actor, I will also work hard to entertain and touch you with a better project and character. Please always take care of your health, and happy new year! Thank you."

-End.

Credit: @allaboutjoongi

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

*** Ohhh................I heard that LJK declines male lead in a rom-com drama titled "Link" opposite Moon Ga Young. I wonder why. I love this genre. He has always giving his all in all of his works. How I love "Flower of Evil". It's a total package for me, great writing, acting & directing. :blush:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, willenette said:

*** Ohhh................I heard that LJK declines male lead in a rom-com drama titled "Link" opposite Moon Ga Young. I wonder why. I love this genre. He has always giving his all in all of his works. How I love "Flower of Evil". It's a total package for me, great writing, acting & directing. :blush:

@willenette, he must have his reasons - maybe the character is a bit similar to DHS?:huh: ... we will just have to wait a bit longer 

And I think even if he has accepted an offer, he might keep it quiet until FOE made its wave on Netflix...

Anyhow cant wait to find out  what he decides to do next...:wub:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tuiwgn said:

@willenette, he must have his reasons - maybe the character is a bit similar to DHS?:huh: ... we will just have to wait a bit longer 

And I think even if he has accepted an offer, he might keep it quiet until FOE made its wave on Netflix...

@Tuiwgn, I agree with you - And we have some great news, Metro.style has just confirmed that "Flower of Evil" is coming to Netflix tomorrow, (Sunday, January 24). And the drama is also available to Viu but to Premium members only. ...  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

*** Is it true that Lee Junki will make his drama comeback soon through "Link"? I thought all along he declined it. I heard that he has decided to take the offer to be the male lead.  If so, Lee Junki will play the role of Eun Gyehoon, a man who set up a restaurant in a shabby neighborhood where his twin sister went missing 20 years ago. Eun Gyehoon's business goes well as he attracts customers with his sexy appearance and visual. One day, he meets a woman who suddenly invades his feelings and brings a huge change in his life. The drama is described as a fantasy melodrama and human mystery drama. If this is true, I'm happy. At least, we could get to see him in another drama soon. In case, I'm looking forward to the drama if LJK is in it. :blush:

WAVES INTERVIEW

lee-joon-gi2.jpg

The Beauty of the Reunion

The "Six-star" Drama

Which dramas from the 2020 were worth a 5-star rating? Looking at the excellence of the storyline. "Flower of Evil", no doubt, has a place on that list. If taking the clean, fresh, and visually pleasant looks of leading actors Lee Joongi and Moon Chaewon into account, we'd like to give an additional star to this show.

This was the second time that Lee Joongi had co-starred with Moon Chaewon. On their first first project Criminal Minds (2017), they agreed to work together again in a melodrama. The opportunity came at the right time. Three years later, in "Flower of Evil", which also premiered in July, the duo skipped the love stages of attraction, infatuation, or being newlyweds, and started the show straight as a sweet loving couple that's been married for years.

Do Hyunsoo, portrayed by Lee Joongi, is handsome, financially comfortable, and a sweet father and husband. However, that happiness is only on the outside. Both the husband and wife have their own secrets. The dark side of Do Hyunsoo is his antisocial personality disorder, caused by the curse that he's been living under - he's able to see the dead.

Free from "contamination"

In order to get close to the anti-social side of the role, Lee Joongi spent lots of time outside of work in reading and learning about how to distinguish antisocial personality disorder from the usual mental disorder. When filming, he completely cleared his mind, paid close attention to the relationships and characters, and went on site with extreme focus. "If I don't understand the character's intrinsic emotions, Do Hyunsoo would likely become a character that's close to my previous roles. So I was very careful about it." With a clear mind, being fully immersed into the role, following the direction of the director, communicating with the director and staff, he tried hard "not to accidentally contaminate the portrayal of the character". As a result, although Do Hyunsoo is gentle and good looking, the self conflict shown in his intimate relationship, and the incapability to empathize from his dark side stood out from all his roles that Lee Joongi had portrayed before.

The filming of "Flower of Evil" lasted 7 months. "While filming, I was worried whether the love story in a thriller could bring the sense of tension and freshness to the audience, which may stimulate their curiosity for each episode." The filming was briefly put on pause due to COVID-19, but it did not affect him. Once on site, he devoted 100% into the scenes, and consistently delivered a stunning performance. From its premiere through the finale, "Flower of Evil" had been highly praised. The pretty, strong, yet heart-breaking character Do Hyunsoo marked a successful comeback of Lee Joongi after a two-year break.

The Post "Flower of Evil" Era

I believe I'm a wild actor. Those wo like me would really like me, but before being acknowledged by the public, I still have a lot to learn. Showcasing the unique 'Lee Joongi style' is good, but to an actor, the greatest pleasure is to be able to present himself to a larger audience." Since returning to the public view, the exception about his future has been built up. "I'd like to meet everyone with good work that's meaningful to all, and get closer to the audience with more projects."

Sometimes,  he would not walk out easily from the characters after the filming was over, and he would start to feel down. When it comes to times like this, Jiujitsu would help him absorb the negative emotions. Lee Joongi started practicing Brazilian Jiujitsu 3 years ago. He practiced it quite often as he liked it so much. During his interviews a year later, Lee Joongi started to enjoy the exercise that counters the brute force with techniques. He shared how Jiujitsu changed his life: "after coming home from the training, I'd drink beer while watching videos about jiujitsu as a recap. That was my little happiness."

After practicing Jiujitsu for two and half years, he stopped it in 2020 due to the pandemic. The last time he posted about Jiujitsu on Instagram was from a year ago. He wants to go back to the training routine, but it has to wait until the pandemic fades away. 

INTERVIEW

Waves: What are your plans about your next project?

JG: I'm carefully going through many options. As the last project was widely appreciated, this puts pressure on me. I'm contemplating how to show a new side of myself in my next project.

Waves: "Flower of Evil" received lots of praises. Was there anything in particular you would need to study for when portraying your character? For your next project, what's the role you would like to take on as a challenge?

JG: The most unique part of this drama was that the character had been hiding his identity from his beloved wife and family for 14 years. In the end, he had his name cleared and rebuilt his family. I was worried whether I could bring in new creative elements from these aspects.

Although my projects are very genre-specific, there's always melo blended in. My fans would like me to act in a melodrama; they want to see melodrama, so I've taken that into account when going through my options. I'm working hard to make fans' wish come true. Lastly, I pay lots of attention to the meaning of the project. I always focus on the character, and I hope my next project will also be a piece about love and healing.

Waves: What do you think is the most important thing about being an actor?

JG: I think it's people. Presenting the inner side of the character to more people, and hope the audience can gain something from it. I think the most awesome part of being a professional actor is when I can help people heal. When that happens, I feel the great sense of achievement. I'll continue to work hard, be open and honest, an become an actor that does not miss any details.

Waves: (Chinese) people say "those who excel in acting, "direct". Has actor Lee thought about directing a project? If given the chance, what type of work would you like to direct?

JG: I have. Having worked with directors on site, I believe that to become a director, you'd need to look at things holistically and need to learn more, so it's not an easy profession. If given a chance, I'd love to learn more. Even if its a small project, I'd like to take on that challenge. I personally like the actor Clint Eastwood. It's very important for a director to be able to help actors bring out better performance. I'd love to try it.

Waves: Actor Lee is always devoted and sincere when interacting with fans. This is very touching. After so many years of your career, how have you been able to stay true to your heart to your fans and about being an actor?

JG: My fans have been showing me their unchanging love. This is a blessing to me. My fans have always supported me and showed their care for me. Everyday like this is a precious experience to me. So I want to pay back to my fans by showing more pf my love for them. I'd like to continue my journey of being an actor with my fans.

Waves: How do you balance your dream and the reality?

JG: I take harmony seriously. My wish is to embrace each other on site happily and warmly, but the reality doesn't always work that way. There are always things that don't go as planned. So I work hard, and won't give up trying to pursue those values that I hold.

Waves: What would you do when things are not going well on site?

JG: I wouldn't leave the site even when there are no scenes for me. If I leave without being focused or performing well, I'd feel anxious and concerned about missing something. So I usually stay extremely focused and won't leave the site.

Waves: The "Lee Joongi font" has been very popular on the internet recently. Have you practiced it before?

JG: I practiced calligraphy when I was young, because my father said that the handwriting shows the personality and characteristic of a person. One's mind would not calm down if they don't write well. So my father was very strict about it, and I had always been careful when it came to handwriting. These days, I type on cell phones more than writing things, like everyone else. So my handwriting is not as good as before. Thanks for still appreciating it.

Waves: What do you do at home when you can't go out due to the pandemic?

JG: I cant work out at home. I need someone to work out together with, or to give me instructions. So I haven't been able to work out at all. I've also been avoiding non-essential trips outside. So I've been going into hibernation mode to sleep more. More sleep helps keep our body and cells healthy. The nights are longer these days. I'd find some classic pieces and watch them while drinking beer. I hope everyone can come through this difficult time together.

Waves: What are the things you'd like to do in the short term, and what are your must-dos in the future?

JG: I've been reading scripts and watching videos. I watch movies and dramas from the perspective of a critique and a fan. There are lots of things for me to learn. I would think: what's good about this piece? Can that be leveraged into the next project? To pay back to the expectations from my fans, I need to be very careful. The next thing would be workouts. I've practiced Jiujitsu for two and half years, but haven't done it even once this year (2020). I want to work out after the pandemic is over.

Waves: Could you recommend any drama or movie that you've followed and liked?

JG: I watched almost all of them. I think my work is the most interesting one, because I cry over them. Sorry, everyone (laugh). There are different genres among my projects too, so I'll recommend my work. " Flower of Evil". If you like melodrama, watch "Moon Lovers" and "Time Between Dog and Wolf". 

Waves: What are your wishes for the new year?

JG: To be able to meet with my fans, either through fan meetings or any occasion where I can meet them in person. Although I did go live on my SNS account to communicate with my fans, it was such a pity that I couldn't meet them in person. The self-isolation has again made me cherish the time when I could meet with them. I really hope I can meet my fans soon.

Waves: Anything you'd like to share with your Chinese fans?

JG: Long time no see, my Chinese fans! It's such a pity. I'd run over (to see the Chinese fans). The Chinese fans have been with me since a long time ago. To me, every one of them is precious. I've always remembered the love from them. I want to visit all cities in China without exceptions. I hope everyone can stay healthy. I'll also stay connected with you. I wish you happiness!

Translation Credit: @MegaMangoPamelo (Twitter)

• Love 3

On 1/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, willenette said:

*** Is it true that Lee Junki will make his drama comeback soon through "Link"? I thought all along he declined it. I heard that he has decided to take the offer to be the male lead.  If so, Lee Junki will play the role of Eun Gyehoon, a man who set up a restaurant in a shabby neighborhood where his twin sister went missing 20 years ago. Eun Gyehoon's business goes well as he attracts customers with his sexy appearance and visual. One day, he meets a woman who suddenly invades his feelings and brings a huge change in his life. The drama is described as a fantasy melodrama and human mystery drama. If this is true, I'm happy. At least, we could get to see him in another drama soon. In case, I'm looking forward to the drama if LJK is in it. :blush:

To be honest, the synopsis isn't too shabby. Its right up JG's alley. He can nail this to a tee. But looking his post Flower of Evil interviews. I am positive he is shifting out dramas that have "fantasy" or "mystery" in them. He has been very vocal about doing an "ordinary" role and straight melodrama/romance. I wouldn't rule out him picking a historical drama next(although I really hope he doesnt unless its really really good). I also don't like sageuk comedy or  sageuk rom com which seems to be the trend now. But I can also see him picking up another thriller knowing he gets loads of offers in those. He probably has a lot of good ones to choose from.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:40 PM, Tuiwgn said:

I thought so too. The timing of this casting news was off. Even if neither him or Chaewon are posting on SNS about "Flower of Evil" on being on Netflix to draw attention to the viewers not to mention is still being picked up by other broadcasting stations in Asia. If he confirmed this now, it would mess with the immersion of Flower of Evil who are watching for the first time because buzz would be shifted onto the new drama.

5 hours ago, hiluna said:

Unless there is another main actor, I saw that Kim Seon Ho is posted as a main.  So it is possible that LJG has turned it down. 

Thats another reason why its good he declined. What with the script being passed around like a hot potato. The main lead role has been linked to Kim Seon Ho, Lee Jae Wook and him. In addition, all the roles where he got critically acclaimed were the ones the writer and/or the director had him in mind as the first choice e.g Two Weeks, Lawless Lawyer, Flower of Evil. Now it not unusual for dramas to hit big even when the final cast is not the first choice i.e Descendants of the Sun and Penthouse.

On the flip side, there have also been flops because it kind of shows the production team is not decisive about the script especially when the ages/acting styles of the role being cast dont match see Scholar Who Walks the Night(I heard JG was like the 4th choice). Its just fortunate that the role matched his look and he is amazing in sageuk. This link drama too had my alarm bells ringing. Lee Jae Wook (22 years old) Kim Seon Ho( 34 years old) Lee Joon Gi(38 years old). Their looks and charms are very different from each other too.

Another thing I was iffy about is the age difference between him and the rumoured female lead. Personally, I am not a fan of kdrama romances where the actor's age gap is 10+.  Especially when the gap is 20s- 30s. 30-40 age difference is fine because the visual is not too jarring and the acting skill is more or less in the same range. There are tons of actresses within his age group that he can work with and there are tons of actors within her age group that she can work with. If it was a thriller thats a different story.

But most importantly, I think it was just media play by either the production team or the reporter who came across the casting offer. As seen from the tweet above, he was indeed offered the role but rejected it early on.  As any fan of JG's would know, he never reveals the offers he rejected, the only news we hear is he is in "talks" and confirmation. Its good his agency came through and nipped the rumors in the bud. It only took them 1 hour to deny:D.

In any case, I look forward to his next drama/movie..

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, violina said:

WAVES INTERVIEW

The Beauty of the Reunion

The "Six-star" Drama

Which dramas from the 2020 were worth a 5-star rating? Looking at the excellence of the storyline. "Flower of Evil", no doubt, has a place on that list. If taking the clean, fresh, and visually pleasant looks of leading actors Lee Joongi and Moon Chaewon into account, we'd like to give an additional star to this show.

This was the second time that Lee Joongi had co-starred with Moon Chaewon. On their first first project Criminal Minds (2017), they agreed to work together again in a melodrama. The opportunity came at the right time. Three years later, in "Flower of Evil", which also premiered in July, the duo skipped the love stages of attraction, infatuation, or being newlyweds, and started the show straight as a sweet loving couple that's been married for years.

Do Hyunsoo, portrayed by Lee Joongi, is handsome, financially comfortable, and a sweet father and husband. However, that happiness is only on the outside. Both the husband and wife have their own secrets. The dark side of Do Hyunsoo is his antisocial personality disorder, caused by the curse that he's been living under - he's able to see the dead.

Free from "contamination"

In order to get close to the anti-social side of the role, Lee Joongi spent lots of time outside of work in reading and learning about how to distinguish antisocial personality disorder from the usual mental disorder. When filming, he completely cleared his mind, paid close attention to the relationships and characters, and went on site with extreme focus. "If I don't understand the character's intrinsic emotions, Do Hyunsoo would likely become a character that's close to my previous roles. So I was very careful about it." With a clear mind, being fully immersed into the role, following the direction of the director, communicating with the director and staff, he tried hard "not to accidentally contaminate the portrayal of the character". As a result, although Do Hyunsoo is gentle and good looking, the self conflict shown in his intimate relationship, and the incapability to empathize from his dark side stood out from all his roles that Lee Joongi had portrayed before.

The filming of "Flower of Evil" lasted 7 months. "While filming, I was worried whether the love story in a thriller could bring the sense of tension and freshness to the audience, which may stimulate their curiosity for each episode." The filming was briefly put on pause due to COVID-19, but it did not affect him. Once on site, he devoted 100% into the scenes, and consistently delivered a stunning performance. From its premiere through the finale, "Flower of Evil" had been highly praised. The pretty, strong, yet heart-breaking character Do Hyunsoo marked a successful comeback of Lee Joongi after a two-year break.

The Post "Flower of Evil" Era

I believe I'm a wild actor. Those wo like me would really like me, but before being acknowledged by the public, I still have a lot to learn. Showcasing the unique 'Lee Joongi style' is good, but to an actor, the greatest pleasure is to be able to present himself to a larger audience." Since returning to the public view, the exception about his future has been built up. "I'd like to meet everyone with good work that's meaningful to all, and get closer to the audience with more projects."

Sometimes,  he would not walk out easily from the characters after the filming was over, and he would start to feel down. When it comes to times like this, Jiujitsu would help him absorb the negative emotions. Lee Joongi started practicing Brazilian Jiujitsu 3 years ago. He practiced it quite often as he liked it so much. During his interviews a year later, Lee Joongi started to enjoy the exercise that counters the brute force with techniques. He shared how Jiujitsu changed his life: "after coming home from the training, I'd drink beer while watching videos about jiujitsu as a recap. That was my little happiness."

After practicing Jiujitsu for two and half years, he stopped it in 2020 due to the pandemic. The last time he posted about Jiujitsu on Instagram was from a year ago. He wants to go back to the training routine, but it has to wait until the pandemic fades away. 

INTERVIEW

Waves: What are your plans about your next project?

JG: I'm carefully going through many options. As the last project was widely appreciated, this puts pressure on me. I'm contemplating how to show a new side of myself in my next project.

Waves: "Flower of Evil" received lots of praises. Was there anything in particular you would need to study for when portraying your character? For your next project, what's the role you would like to take on as a challenge?

JG: The most unique part of this drama was that the character had been hiding his identity from his beloved wife and family for 14 years. In the end, he had his name cleared and rebuilt his family. I was worried whether I could bring in new creative elements from these aspects.

Although my projects are very genre-specific, there's always melo blended in. My fans would like me to act in a melodrama; they want to see melodrama, so I've taken that into account when going through my options. I'm working hard to make fans' wish come true. Lastly, I pay lots of attention to the meaning of the project. I always focus on the character, and I hope my next project will also be a piece about love and healing.

Waves: What do you think is the most important thing about being an actor?

JG: I think it's people. Presenting the inner side of the character to more people, and hope the audience can gain something from it. I think the most awesome part of being a professional actor is when I can help people heal. When that happens, I feel the great sense of achievement. I'll continue to work hard, be open and honest, an become an actor that does not miss any details.

Waves: (Chinese) people say "those who excel in acting, "direct". Has actor Lee thought about directing a project? If given the chance, what type of work would you like to direct?

JG: I have. Having worked with directors on site, I believe that to become a director, you'd need to look at things holistically and need to learn more, so it's not an easy profession. If given a chance, I'd love to learn more. Even if its a small project, I'd like to take on that challenge. I personally like the actor Clint Eastwood. It's very important for a director to be able to help actors bring out better performance. I'd love to try it.

Waves: Actor Lee is always devoted and sincere when interacting with fans. This is very touching. After so many years of your career, how have you been able to stay true to your heart to your fans and about being an actor?

JG: My fans have been showing me their unchanging love. This is a blessing to me. My fans have always supported me and showed their care for me. Everyday like this is a precious experience to me. So I want to pay back to my fans by showing more pf my love for them. I'd like to continue my journey of being an actor with my fans.

Waves: How do you balance your dream and the reality?

JG: I take harmony seriously. My wish is to embrace each other on site happily and warmly, but the reality doesn't always work that way. There are always things that don't go as planned. So I work hard, and won't give up trying to pursue those values that I hold.

Waves: What would you do when things are not going well on site?

JG: I wouldn't leave the site even when there are no scenes for me. If I leave without being focused or performing well, I'd feel anxious and concerned about missing something. So I usually stay extremely focused and won't leave the site.

Waves: The "Lee Joongi font" has been very popular on the internet recently. Have you practiced it before?

JG: I practiced calligraphy when I was young, because my father said that the handwriting shows the personality and characteristic of a person. One's mind would not calm down if they don't write well. So my father was very strict about it, and I had always been careful when it came to handwriting. These days, I type on cell phones more than writing things, like everyone else. So my handwriting is not as good as before. Thanks for still appreciating it.

Waves: What do you do at home when you can't go out due to the pandemic?

JG: I cant work out at home. I need someone to work out together with, or to give me instructions. So I haven't been able to work out at all. I've also been avoiding non-essential trips outside. So I've been going into hibernation mode to sleep more. More sleep helps keep our body and cells healthy. The nights are longer these days. I'd find some classic pieces and watch them while drinking beer. I hope everyone can come through this difficult time together.

Waves: What are the things you'd like to do in the short term, and what are your must-dos in the future?

JG: I've been reading scripts and watching videos. I watch movies and dramas from the perspective of a critique and a fan. There are lots of things for me to learn. I would think: what's good about this piece? Can that be leveraged into the next project? To pay back to the expectations from my fans, I need to be very careful. The next thing would be workouts. I've practiced Jiujitsu for two and half years, but haven't done it even once this year (2020). I want to work out after the pandemic is over.

Waves: Could you recommend any drama or movie that you've followed and liked?

JG: I watched almost all of them. I think my work is the most interesting one, because I cry over them. Sorry, everyone (laugh). There are different genres among my projects too, so I'll recommend my work. " Flower of Evil". If you like melodrama, watch "Moon Lovers" and "Time Between Dog and Wolf". 

Waves: What are your wishes for the new year?

JG: To be able to meet with my fans, either through fan meetings or any occasion where I can meet them in person. Although I did go live on my SNS account to communicate with my fans, it was such a pity that I couldn't meet them in person. The self-isolation has again made me cherish the time when I could meet with them. I really hope I can meet my fans soon.

Waves: Anything you'd like to share with your Chinese fans?

JG: Long time no see, my Chinese fans! It's such a pity. I'd run over (to see the Chinese fans). The Chinese fans have been with me since a long time ago. To me, every one of them is precious. I've always remembered the love from them. I want to visit all cities in China without exceptions. I hope everyone can stay healthy. I'll also stay connected with you. I wish you happiness!

Translation Credit: @MegaMangoPamelo (Twitter)

@violina, thanks for sharing this. I learned something & discovered something MORE about him. "Flower of Evil" will be on VIU this February, subbed in Tagalog in the Philippines. For Filipinos, this is perfect for those who do not want to read subtitles anymore. Tagalog dub is here for you.  :Woah:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, violina said:

Least we forget, our man is a model too, a great one at that

@violina our man of many talents:wub:

1 hour ago, willenette said:

I learned something & discovered something MORE about him.

Isn't it just! After reading so many interviews , one would have thought there wouldn't be anything new but yet there is always something more about him ... AAHH Lee Joon Gi>>>

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 K-Drama Hugs That Melted Our Hearts

Admittedly, when watching a K-drama the first kiss scene is heavily anticipated, however, a hug scene can be just as impactful, intimate, and vulnerable. There are many types to be admired — back hugs, run hugs, lift hugs, reunion hugs, and more — and they have the power to make our hearts soar with butterflies or swell with tears. Fortunately, as the K-drama world continues to deliver excellent romances and relationships with every new show, there are many hugs that have wiggled their way into our hearts. Here are some of our favorite K-drama hug scenes.

Warning: spoilers for dramas below.

Baek Hee Sung & Cha Ji Won & Baek Eun Ha in “Flower of Evil

In “Flower of Evil,” detective Cha Ji Won (Moon Chae Won) discovers that her husband, Baek Hee Sung, (Lee Joon Gi) is the prime suspect of an unsolved murder case. As the pair work on their own to solve the case, they eventually come together to clear Hee Sung’s name. Given the melo nature of this drama, almost all of their romantic scenes are laced with tears and a potent dose of torment. There’s no question that the show’s final embrace between the pair and their daughter, Baek Eun Ha, (Jung Seo Yeon) is one of the most moving hug scenes ever.

moon-chae-won-lee-joon-gi-jung-seo-yeon-

Nothing beats the euphoric relief of watching this hug. After watching them fight tooth and nail to be together despite the events of the past, this hug finally solidifies that they can be a happy family at last.

Start watching “Flower of Evil”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

*** I'm done watching his latest drama, "Flower of Evil" - continuously this time. I wasn't able to do so during airing since I lacked time. Now, I finished watching it. Now, this is the Lee Joon Gi drama that we deserved! I have to shower him with praise in this drama. He made Hee Sung such a multi-dimensional character that had so many layers to explore. Lee Joon Gi puts all of his being into the character. I really enjoyed the sort of cat-and-mouse game that ensued between Hee Sung and Ji Won. I should also mention their adorable daughter Eun Ha. She was such a delight with all kinds of cuteness as well as giving a really nice performance. “Flower of Evil” has an interesting mix of genres. It was so over-the-top that it made me laugh in some scenes, but I still felt the suspense from it. Although, there were moments that don’t really make sense that you just kind of have to go with.  Watching Hee Sung (who was revealed to be Do Hyun Soo, a suspected murderer and the son of a serial killer) and Ji Won’s relationship play out was heart wrenching. As we learn more about Hee Sung, we saw just how misunderstood he was. It was particularly heartbreaking to see Ji Won begin to dislike Hee Sung as she learned who he was. It was very satisfying to see Hee Sung realize that he did love Ji Won as well as how strongly Ji Won believed in him. I have to give a shout out to our amazing villain too. Kim Ji Hoon really went all out as the real Baek Hee Sung. The bad character in this drama is way more “villain-like” and I’m totally giving a perfect score to original Hee Sung. He was so good! Now, I was a bit conflicted & a bit disappointed about the ending. I don’t mind the amnesia trope, I personally wanted to see Hee Sung get his memory back. On the other hand, the amnesia allowed him to get rid of a lot of emotional baggage from his past. So while it wasn’t exactly the ending I would have preferred, it still was happy. “Flower of Evil” was a fantastic watch. The story was filled with suspense. It is good to deviate from our normal watching patterns sometimes. Here, there are plenty of great cliff hangers. Just wow – is all that I can say! The chemistry of Moon Chae Woon and Lee Joon Ki is very natural. “Flower of Evil” really was a special drama. Lee Joon Gi was top notch in this drama. It really is a fantastic series. This is one that starts out good, and it gets so much better as it goes! “Flower of Evil” is the complete opposite of light and fluffy. Amazing is a perfect word description for “Flower of Evil.”  :grin:

• Like 1
  • Love 3