Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

13 hours ago, cedarwood said:

They really say that? Ok, this may be a stupid question but... SINCE WHEN DOING A SAEGUK IS A COMFORT ZONE? :blink: Sword fighting, uncomfortable clothes, difficult language thing (Moon Chae Won was said to speak ill in Joseon language), crown put on your head that is also uncomfortable, blood covering, cold if you do a saeguk in the middle of winter 'cause it's difficult to hide something that will warm you up under hanbok... if that's a comfort zone I'm not sure what is war. :tongue:

You can say it again.Like seriously do they think saeguk is child's play?If it was so easy and can be done by anyone as easily as JG, why is he singlehandly known as king of periodic dramas.There is a reason why all the Big 3 stations want a piece of JG, whenever there is a saeguk script. Joseon Gunman KBS, Scholar who walks the Night MBC, and Moonlovers SBS. Why do they keep booking him over and over again for these scripts, when we all know the big 3 love their domestic ratings and JG post army has drawn in moderate ratings.

I am no acting expert but I think Saeguk dramas unlike modern dramas, generally require a high level of intensity and dramatic acting.The 'I am too cool, no variation of tone and facial expression' acting, that we see some k-actors do in some modern dramas, doesn't work very well in saeguk. That's why they come across as stiff when some do period drama. That's why even when there are acting controversies surrounding his co stars, even when the drama is affected by production issues(writing,directing editing etc),, he is one of the few actors that can still hold the audience ,and make the drama watchable and keep it buzzworthy just by his acting alone.Let alone in saeguk which is more popular with the older audience than the younger audience.

11 hours ago, leesopark16 said:

But people should stop see "sageuk" and say they are all the same because they are not. And JG's always look for variations in his projects.

Exactly, from his past three dramas; he played a gunman, a vampire and royalty(a prince and king).I think those who are quick to criticise his saeguk choices, and keep saying he is not versatile enough, do not read the drama synopsis and character description of the saeguks.They probably have the following conversation on their heads; Viewer 1: Ok I want to watch JG, whats his next project?Ah he is playing character A in joseon..(interrupted)viewer 2: Period drama again!!Pass..and they read blogs repeating the same tired criticisms and it further reaffirms how they perceive JG.

9 hours ago, cedarwood said:

Sure but if he did 3 modern dramas in a row no one would complain about it. It's not fair to treat saeguks as dramas of worse sort.

I know right.His saeguks so far are not just pure saeguk with just court politics.There are two or more genres rolled into one.Apparently, some think his acting has gone 'stale' because he has done saeguk back to back.But I disagree, they are clearly watching a clone JG not the same JG we are all following.If anything, I feel like his acting has grown from strength to strength.We have seen how true that is by his portrayal of Wang So.He can balance well between subtle acting, but not to the point of underacting, and appearing stiff. By having total control but fully utilizing his facial muscles and eye expressions.He has also mastered dramatic and intense acting ,but not to the point of overacting where it feels empty and overly done.We can feel and relate to the emotions, he is trying to convey when he goes all out.

I wonder why he is the only one who gets criticised for developing a forte in saeguk in interviews.When they are other actors and actresses who are known as rom com queens, action actors , melodrama king and queens etc and are praised for it .Others just change the genres and name of  their characters but play the same role over and over again e.g candy roles (poor optimistic girl who loves rich bad guy), bad guy turn good roles, chaebol roles etc, iam a genious roles with special powers etc.Perhaps if we look at this positively, its a backhanded way of complimenting him by saying look JG: you are an expert in historicals but you are more than capable and very well suited for any genre and challenge yourself and make a monopoly for yourself in modern dramas too.

I am happy that JG has a stubborn streak in him in the face of nawsayers. You know how the baeksang and the tv stations bodies have been stingy post military in giving him acting awards except KBS. So if he had rejected arang, he would have missed out on his Seoul international Outstanding Korean Actor award for (Arang and the Magistrate).If he had rejected Joseon Gunman , he would have missed out on his Seoul International Award Outstanding Korean Actor for Gunman in Joseon and also could have missed his resident evil, hollywood stint since paul anderson chose him after watching Joseon Gunman on mute...lol. And if he had rejected Scarlet, man what a huge loss that would have been.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, cedarwood said:

Sure but if he did 3 modern dramas in a row no one would complain about it. It's not fair to treat saeguks as dramas of worse sort

Agree. Plenty of actors out there doing modern dramas non-stop, some never even ventured into sageuk yet no one complaining. My only reason to feel relief that he chose to do a modern drama this time around is because Wang So is so iconic. Doing another sageuk will resulted in direct comparison with Wang So, which is a hard performance to ever be topped off.

10 hours ago, cedarwood said:

Yeah. Can't wait to see him with kids again. :wub:

I don't understand why they need to give him a kid in modern drama. Is it for the reason to age him? It just gave too much similar vibe to his role in "Two Weeks". 

I noticed that LJG likes to shoot a drama in summer. My only complaint is that I have not gotten a chance to see him strutting in winter wear....the long peacoat, the shawl and turtleneck. He would surely look ethereal and gorgeous. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, glassnokamen said:

:heart::heart: Finally a personal pic on his IG!!!! And what a huge bouquet!!!!

Edit... I know I saw this bouquet yesterday somewehere on IG... I just have to remember where :blink:

:heart::heart::grin: omg im so so happy.Is he back now and he is smiling.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, lyserose said:

I don't understand why they need to give him a kid in modern drama. Is it for the reason to age him? It just gave too much similar vibe to his role in "Two Weeks". 

I don't think that the kid is of LJG character; I think is a kid that maybe is lost or have some trouble in the episodes they are filming. They are a profiler squad and they are supposed to follow the investigations in different crimes :)

• Like 7

14 hours ago, leesopark16 said:

people should stop see "sageuk" and say they are all the same because they are not.

True. Thinking this way - every modern drama is also the same. :tongue:

3 hours ago, zi4r said:

(Maybe this means, we will be getting a selfie sometime soon? Pretty please......) ^_^

A funny selfie like he used to make. Please... please... pretty please with a cherry on top! ^_^

2 hours ago, violina said:

I am no acting expert but I think Saeguk dramas unlike modern dramas, generally require a high level of intensity and dramatic

It may sound unfair from my side but saeguks also need really good script, action and good actors. Why? Because it's REALLY hard to do ppl in saeguks. Which is good to me 'cause I hate ppl. Sometimes it's so annoying it can destroy the whole drama. Saeguks are quite safe from ppl. :)

And if he had rejected Scarlet, man what a huge loss that would have been.

:crazy:  I thought for a second or two about that possibility and NOOOO!!! That's a horror thought!!!

2 hours ago, lyserose said:

1. It's not necessary a kid of his character (I wouldn't mind btw).

2. Many people at his age are already parents so it's not aging him at all.

3. He's wonderful with children on screen so I'm really happy there will be a scene of JG and kid in new drama. :)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cedarwood said:

It may sound unfair from my side but saeguks also need really good script, action and good actors. Why? Because it's REALLY hard to do ppl in saeguks. Which is good to me 'cause I hate ppl. Sometimes it's so annoying it can destroy the whole drama. Saeguks are quite safe from ppl. :)

No you are not unfair at all.You are absolutely right.I never thought of it actually but my oh my are you so right.The culprit is usually subway, dunking donuts and some brand of soju.I can imagine if Scarlet Heart was a modern drama, the amount of ppl would have been Huge what with all the models and idols in the drama + IU promotes several brands.I can imagine BB cream would have been trending.You find a scene that is meant to be heartwarming or romantic or even sad ruined by some line saying how tasty a subway sandwich is...or instead of helping the plot to move along, they fill the episode with ppl ppl ppl everywhere.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, lyserose said:

There is also a photo of MCW hugging the kid as well.  So the kiddo has some connection to the team, not necessarily just JG. I noticed the name Happy Children....could it be a division of Happy Nursing Home...and there is some connection between the nursing home/kids center (the pic of the actor guy in a wheelchair a few weeks ago...maybe:unsure:), suede jacket wearing JG (he wore that same outfit during Happy Nursing Home filming).

3 hours ago, cedarwood said:

3. He's wonderful with children on screen so I'm really happy there will be a scene of JG and kid in new drama. :)

Hence why I mentioned it to you!  :wub:

6 hours ago, lyserose said:

I noticed that LJG likes to shoot a drama in summer. My only complaint is that I have not gotten a chance to see him strutting in winter wear....the long peacoat, the shawl and turtleneck. He would surely look ethereal and gorgeous. 

THIS!!!  Oh my freaking gorgeousness if we could GET this! I guess we got a bit of it in MEC.  But more is better! With amazing acting skills and some tension as well! 

43 minutes ago, violina said:

No you are not unfair at all.You are absolutely right.I never thought of it actually but my oh my are you so right.The culprit is usually subway, dunking donuts and some brand of soju.I can imagine if Scarlet Heart was a modern drama, the amount of ppl would have been Huge what with all the models and idols in the drama + IU promotes several brands.I can imagine BB cream would have been trending.You find a scene that is meant to be heartwarming or romantic or even sad ruined by some line saying how tasty a subway sandwich is...or instead of helping the plot to move along, they fill the episode with ppl ppl ppl everywhere.

Papa Johns anyone?  I keep laughing wondering what American product will be pimped next drama!  Although Subway has modified their logo here so it all looks so dated now on the dramas. 

7 hours ago, zi4r said:

Yep yep!!! I'm so happy, I can hardly contain myself.

(Maybe this means, we will be getting a selfie sometime soon? Pretty please......) ^_^

Please oh please oh please oh please. 

• Like 6

It's almost midnight in Korea and it seems no red carpet or media coverage of the release of Never Said Goodbye/Lies in Sicily/Under the Sicily Sun in Korea.  :huh::angry:

So to appease my soul of no new JG promoting movie pics (and red carpet selfies that I was hoping to see)....here he is promoting said movie last summer.

0b9b02ff-f3ab-4104-89ac-073791200aea.jpg

'Never Said Goodbye' Beijing Press Conference : News Photo

'Never Said Goodbye' Beijing Press Conference : News Photo'Never Said Goodbye' Beijing Press Conference : News Photo

• Like 9

The culprit is usually subway, dunking donuts and some brand of soju.I can imagine if Scarlet Heart was a modern drama, the amount of ppl would have been Huge what with all the models and idols in the drama + IU promotes several brands.I can imagine BB cream would have been trending.You find a scene that is meant to be heartwarming or romantic or even sad ruined by some line saying how tasty a subway sandwich is...or instead of helping the plot to move along, they fill the episode with ppl ppl ppl everywhere.

There were also some mango juice restaurants, I remember. And of course samsung! Apps, extra function of the newest mobile etc. etc. Arghhh!

1 hour ago, pixelsticks said:

Hence why I mentioned it to you!  :wub:

Seen that. :wub:

53 minutes ago, pixelsticks said:

here he is promoting said movie last summer.

Aaaaand he had longer hair so he could wear Wang So's wig... and immediately you made me think about Wang So even if your intention was NSG. :wink: 

Esp. the third pic - see that glare? That Wang So-ish glare? Don't be fooled by finger-glasses thing. :wink: 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, cedarwood said:

Esp. the third pic - see that glare? That Wang So-ish glare? Don't be fooled by finger-glasses thing. :wink: 

4647f0b9-255e-44cd-8731-a2a054ff19e4_zps

Wang So (and his glare) is love! I wonder what we will say about Hyun Joon?  Hyun Joon is.....????

So...I have a conversation starter!  WHAT do you want to see Hyun Joon do?  If you could be the director...  <<<I'll start...feel free to add.....maybe we can check them off WHEN/IF they happen during the series or take shots each time it happens and get drunk off Hyun Joon>>>>

Hyun Joon:

1. will give the smirk where one side of his mouth curls up (see above photo).

2. will have a water drenched scene (where he is in a slightly good mood).

3. will have a bar scene where he dances or flirts just a little bit.  

I have tons more but I'm not gonna be greedy!  Anybody???

• Like 9

2 hours ago, pixelsticks said:

Hyun Joon:

I have tons more but I'm not gonna be greedy!  Anybody???

Ohhh this is good!!!

4. will have a drinking game scene, karaoke included (bar scene is also a good thing!)

5. will interrogate someone and lose his temper

6. will have a sexy scene with his co-star without a kiss (with kiss too but later!)

7. will have playful / lovely moment with a kid (we ALLLLMOST can check that already but let's wait for the drama actually)

:w00t:

Gee... must rewatch the SH scene where Wang So meets his daughter. It melts my heart... :wub:

• Like 8

@cedarwood It's almost perfection except those damn sleeves covering up his beautiful hands and arm veins. JG is master of the emotive pose for photography!

Thanks for adding to the Soompi Director's Choice for Hyun Joon.  I have some more to contribute but a bit later.  I was googling BEST PHOTO of LEE JOON GI (for fun) and this came up in the search. 

Image result for best photo lee joon giI call it the "You want me to do what?" photo 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, pixelsticks said:

It's almost perfection except those damn sleeves covering up his beautiful hands and arm veins.

Dream about pulling those sleeves up! :D Slooooowly... :wub:

13 minutes ago, pixelsticks said:

I call it the "You want me to do what?" photo 

:lol: True!

• Like 6

So this is what we have so far....

Soompi Director's Choice for Hyun Joon: WHAT do you want to see Hyun Joon do?  If you could be the director...  <<<I'll start...feel free to add.....maybe we can check them off WHEN/IF they happen during the series or take shots each time it happens and get drunk off Hyun Joon>>>>

Hyun Joon:

4. will have a drinking game scene, karaoke included (bar scene is also a good thing!)

5. will interrogate someone and lose his temper

6. will have a sexy scene with his co-star without a kiss (with kiss too but later!)

7. will have playful / lovely moment with a kid (we ALLLLMOST can check that already but let's wait for the drama actually)

8. will wear a suit at least 4 times.

9. will briefly expose the elusive torso.

10. will have a bromance with SHJ or Go Yoon.

11. will cry at least 3 times. 

• Like 9

My take on the following topics:

Saguek: Those criticising about him doing Saguek consecutively are mostly international viewers who are not so inclined and have less understanding of this type of setting or some just sprouts those words for the heck. Many Korean actors are hesitant to do Saguek due to the fear of being criticised as the acting for this setting requires specific tone of speech and degree of emotions. If actors can be stone-faced and execute an expressionless acting or monotonous delivery of dialogues in modern setting, definitely these things aren't acceptable in Saguek, otherwise they've to be prepared for criticism by Korean folks esp the mature ones. 

Just like modern setting, Saguek or period setting dramas are in different Genres too. 

Never Said Goodbye movie

Though I wished for JG to walk on the red carpet, but I did not expect extensive promotions from JG side. One thing it is a Chinese production. While China banned Korean artists in any Chinese productions which resorted to their parts being deleted or worst resulted the drama or movie being not shown at all if they are leads, I think it's a consolation that NSG is being shown in 50 theatres. It is also a bonus that it's getting daily coverage in the internet and made it to the KBS news. 

In addition, I think active LJG participation in promoting this movie in SK can be construed as unpatriotic.

Upcoming projects:

I hope another project is already lined up for him to do after CM. I hope it's a movie. He has been away from Chungmuro for a decade already and about time to make a comeback. Another collab with Director Lee Joon Ik will be great.This director has been doing pretty good in Chungmuro after the TKATC. His last movie did decently in the box office and his movie that premiered yesterday performed better than the much hyped Kim Soo Hyun movie. 

• Like 10

RE:FinalChapter Blu-ray I ordered just arrived yesterday. So I decided to re-watch all the JG scenes and a few other scenes this morning, before I have to get ready for work.

And erm..... Maybe, everyone who's seen the movie already noticed it, and this is not really a revelation to all of you. But even though I've watched it in the theatres 3 times, I didn't notice something about JG's character!!! Now, I'm so excited, I have to talk about it.

(MAJOR SPOILER inside the tag. Please don't look if you haven't watched it and if you intend to do so.)

Spoiler

JG is THE zombie that bit and killed Dr Isaacs at the end!!!

AUjPRe6.gif

The scene is so dark and so fast that I didn't notice that when I watched it in theatres.

And now that I realize it, what he said during SG press-conference seems a lot more possible! (Even though I hope not. He deserves to act in something wayyyyyy better than Resident Evil franchise.) 

“I’m a little embarrassed to call it a Hollywood debut because it wasn’t a major role, but more of a special cameo. I still have a lot to work on and a long journey to go, but the entire experience was a really enjoyable one. I see it as a blessing and I’m very honoured to be part of the production. Till this day, I still keep in touch with director Paul Anderson and told him to keep me in mind for future works. I’d always drop hints to him (laughs). He joked that perhaps he could create a reboot chapter to Resident Evil where I come back as a zombie or something!”

Has anyone watched it? Am I getting it wrong?!

Or does everyone already know, and am I being clueless by not realizing it sooner? Hahaha! :grimace:

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, zi4r said:

RE:FinalChapter Blu-ray I ordered just arrived yesterday. So I decided to re-watch all the JG scenes and a few other scenes this morning, before I have to get ready for work.

And erm..... Maybe, everyone who's seen the movie already noticed it, and this is not really a revelation to all of you. But even though I've watched it in the theatres 3 times, I didn't notice something about JG's character!!! Now, I'm so excited, I have to talk about it.

(MAJOR SPOILER inside the tag. Please don't look if you haven't watched it and if you intend to do so.)

Hide contents

JG is THE zombie that bit and killed Dr Isaacs at the end!!!

AUjPRe6.gif

The scene is so dark and so fast that I didn't notice that when I watched it in theatres.

And now that I realize it, what he said during SG press-conference seems a lot more possible! (Even though I hope not. He deserves to act in something wayyyyyy better than Resident Evil franchise.) 

Has anyone watched it? Am I getting it wrong?!

Or does everyone already know, and am I being clueless by not realizing it sooner? Hahaha! :grimace:

Someone had posted it I believe in FB some time ago, but it's not so easy to recognize our handsome JG in that zombie, so don't worry to not recognize him while watching the film in theatres :D:D

• Like 7