Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

12 minutes ago, chickenchopflipflop83 said:

oh my! Joon Gi's been a naughty boy~

As a fan from the very beginning, I already suspected that the dating rumours with Jeon Hye Bin were true; it had been one charisma explosion after another ever since Joseon Gunman. You could tell he started gaining interest in fitness, excelled in romantic scenes and in general became healthier (if you overlook the dramatic weight loss and everything).

As a fan speaking out for him, I strongly felt that he behaved the way he did because work and personal life are mutually exclusive to him; meaning what you see on screen is not the real him at all, it is a persona carefully crafted by his agency, his stakeholders and his fandom. And it was quite obvious that some of the more flirtatious portions of MEC were scripted. However, people do judge celebrities with a different lens and failing to live up to people's expectations (or the expectations that he created due to the way he portrayed himself) is a great misstep on his part. 

I believe that this is the greatest setback to his career so far (even more serious than the management crisis he was entangled in before going to the military) due to the specific timing of its release and the huge risk of worsening public opinions about him as a result. 
It is an extremely damaging blow as:
1) people have not gotten over him and IU 
2) extravagant conclusion to MEC made people believe he was an earnest, single man looking for love
3) conclusion to his fan meeting in seoul approaching
4) timing to confirm his next project (i hope he has signed on criminal minds with tvn, but i guess maybe not, since he was in the midst of a contract renewal and probably was waiting to make sure he secured the terms he wanted before committing to any project under the same agency). I feel that this news could be in part released due to political turmoil in SK, or a sabotage tactic from a competitive agency who tried to secure him but failed. 
5) the THAAD issue, he can't divert his career to the china market (like what PMY did) if he lost favour with SK fans. 
6) it was made to seem like he admitted to his relationship because he had no choice (there were photographic evidence and all). 

I just feel sad for him because it is truly the worst timing/way a celebrity relationship can reveal itself to the public. At this point I hope that instead of hiding, he could put a more positive spin on the situation by celebrating his relation Jeon Hye Bin (this wonderful woman MADE our Wang So! even if this is an unpopular opinion, if he had not met Jeon Hye Bin, Joon gi would still have been an excellent actor,  but a pastier and slightly pudgier version instead of the fit as richard simmons sun kissed god he is today).  I hope he can be more open about the whole thing so that those who feel happy for him (no matter how few there are out there)  can also openly give him their blessings. I feel that is really the only way he can really get out of this "marginally scathed".

I hope TVN doesn't drop him for criminal minds and sees this instead as an opportunity to create more buzz for their project. As a fan of his work, I don't care much for his personal life but I would feel sad if I won't be able to see him on screen for a while because of this. It would be such a waste....

Lee Joon Gi will take care of the business side. As fans, we have to continue to support him.

“Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.”
Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Please continue to vote on DramaFever...links on above post.

Ps. Btw, about this so called scandal... I am glad he is not a romance-comedy actor. So, I'll vote for Criminal Minds with Zero Romance Drama for his next project.

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 8

On 4/3/2017 at 2:41 AM, willenette said:

Hi maryofbethany, thanks for sharing this.   Awww.......I surely love to see LJK in a rom-com genre. I wonder why he was never offered to do such..... Most of what he got was hero fantasy projects & most of them were historical. I guess because he was good in action scenes but I hope he won't be typecast on this kind of role. I hope he won't be set as an action star in the eyes of many.  I've been waiting for him to be in a rom-com for the longest time.  I wish he'll be offered one soon. "MG" was a rom-com but he was a support lead in that drama & that was a long time ago. He deserves an A-list actress for a leading lady. I can settle for PMY, though. I think he and Park Min Young would do great in a rom-com together. They both look so damn adorable together.   They have a lovable chemistry in "Candy in my ear 2". So, all along LJK knew that he's talking to PMY... & just pretended that he didn’t know her identity.  He hid it so well! Well, she gave him clues, though. This is an interesting type of show! IDK why normally this show has 2 or 3 episodes but for this couple they have 5 episodes. LJK is so sweet here. This show is touching and romantic.  Aww... so many touching moments! I loved their conversations. I'm glad they finally met. And he looks at her so warmly! Good job tvn!  :lol:

I'm sure LJK will do great in a romantic comedy drama. I'm really looking forward to that. I'd be happy if he gets a rom-com offer! I'm sure he will deliver excellently as always. :tongue:

@willenetteI don't think he knew who she was until the last episode. He mentioned that a staff member gave him a hint and I remembered that in an earlier episode when he got caught in photos, after his call with her when she found out who he was, he turned to the camera man and asked for some hints on her identity. That was probably when he found out. I hope to see them together in a rom com, great chemistry between them.

• Like 6

i got my assumption

Criminal Minds will start shooting on 17 april, so maybe they plan to release statement confirmation within this week. But suddenly this dating news appear

what i want to say, maybe there's a "rival" between agency or broadcasting company ? we just know this CM is a big budget drama, and TVN finally got the rights to airing it

maybe TVN's rival ??

i just hope this didn't effect mush with his next project

• Like 4

Omo i just remembered one part in ep 7 of MEC. Joon gi said he wanted to share with MY his fav music so he played Sam Smith's "not the only one". When the chorus came on MY told him that, yup he wasn't alone, she is with him. I don't understand how she missed out that the full line of the lyric actually reads as " AND WHEN YOU CALL ME, BABY, I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE". OH MY GOD THE IRONY. IS TVN THE DEVIL OR WHAT :ph34r:

(I make fun of this because it doesn't bother me whether he dates or who he dates or how many people he is dating. I just find this coincidence hilarious and deviously satisfying.  However, if this upsets anyone here i'm sorry, please don't take me seriously :)). 

Edited by chickenchopflipflop83
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, chickenchopflipflop83 said:

Omo i just remembered one part in ep 7 of MEC. Joon gi said he wanted to share with MY his fav music so he played Sam Smith's "not the only one". When the chorus came on MY told him that, yup he wasn't alone, she is with him. I don't understand how she missed out that the full line of the lyric actually reads as " AND WHEN YOU CALL ME, BABY, I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE". OH MY GOD THE IRONY. IS TVN THE DEVIL OR WHAT :ph34r:

(I make fun of this because it doesn't bother me whether he dates or who he dates or how many people he is dating. I just find this coincidence hilarious and deviously satisfying.  However, if this upsets anyone here i'm sorry, please don't take me seriously :)). 

It's the Power of Editing. I have been watching Korean Variety Shows for a long time. Its a kind of show which is like a drama but in a different format.

That is why I always say... It was beautifully done better than many rom-com dramas.

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, Littlebelly house said:

i got my assumption

Criminal Minds will start shooting on 17 april, so maybe they plan to release statement confirmation within this week. But suddenly this dating news appear

what i want to say, maybe there's a "rival" between agency or broadcasting company ? we just know this CM is a big budget drama, and TVN finally got the rights to airing it

maybe TVN's rival ??

i just hope this didn't effect mush with his next project

I actually read somewhere before that in Korea, they will use so-called celebrity "scandals" (Even though in Lee Joon Gi's case, dating isn't even supposed to be labeled a scandal) to distract the public from political issues...I also read a comment by someone that maybe it was a sobatage made by a rival agency who tried to secure him as his contract was expiring with Namoo, but didn't get him...The fact that just by looking at those photos you could tell that they were taken a long time ago but was deliberately released today, is coming off to some, even to me, a little bit suspicious lol...it really feels like a deliberate attack to try and ruin him...the timing is just really fishy and all..then again these trash reporters and paparazzis always try to ruin someone with little consience and regard to consuquences and human being's lives ...Ugh if only it was released after MEC then people would have forgetten the hype..since that is where most of the nonsense is coming from...honestly it just needed to pass....Just like how the hype for Jang Geun Suk and Yoo In Na's MEC died and went nowhere...Maybe if it was on June or May...heck even late of April..then the response would have been so much more positive...hence my theory somebody tried to either used him as a distraction or attacked him...or maybe I was just thinking too much and it was just downright bad luck ...I spent my free day with this issue~lol...tomorrow's back to uni...good thing there's no assignments or deadlines tomorrow~lol...just lectures

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

Let us not lose sight. Please continue to vote!

48 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

Lee Joon Gi will take care of the business side. As fans, we have to continue to support him.

“Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.”
Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

We can VOTE for him in polls.  We can spread positive messages about JG. We can attend his Encore show (well at least some of us lucky souls can). We can (try to) patiently wait for his next project.  We can consume & purchase his content.  And still admire!

:wub: this crafter and their amazing and quick renditions of all walks of JG. 

MEC JG

Airport Fashion JG

and more!  https://twitter.com/kakoi77

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Littlebelly house said:

maybe TVN's rival ??

@Littlebelly house your theory actually makes a lot of sense and I've seen a few people talk about it.In someone's words she said "Maybe some top honchos(higher ups) were not happy with the positive buzz JG and PMY were getting, but especially JG on TVN like they felt threatened.But the question is who and which broadcasting station?

Lol were they that scared that there is a very very high possibility that if Criminal Minds is taken by TVN and JG headlines the drama following MEC positive response it's going to be mega successful.I mean JG has gained humongous support internationally due to SHR and was gaining an increasing amount of support domestically because of MEC.

I am a bit disappointed with the way the special 8episode MEC news has been handled.It makes it seem like the MEC crew said" well dude you are controversial now so screw off" we are cutting off the program. I personally don't think they meant it like that unless I'm proven wrong.But from a business point of view, I totally understand them.They had to react in someway and say something whether good or bad.

But that being said, I think JG left a positive impression on TVN and that isn't going to go away just because of this nonsensical news.

1.The TVN MEC writer expressed her delight in working with JG saying it always felt like they were having a mini fan concert just by being around him.

2.The TVN MEC PD nim said he has worked with many excellent artists but JG felt like a brother and he would love to have his number.Thats a huge compliment from a PD.Its like when you get a 100% on your annual work review.

3. He and PMY met the objectives of the show and made the show buzz worthy again.like how many honestly new about the show especially on the international level.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, kekeke09 said:

I actually read somewhere before that in Korea, they will use so-called celebrity "scandals" (Even though in Lee Joon Gi's case, dating isn't even supposed to be labeled a scandal) to distract the public from political issues...I also read a comment by someone that maybe it was a sobatage made by a rival agency who tried to secure him as his contract was expiring with Namoo, but didn't get him...The fact that just by looking at those photos you could tell that they were taken a long time ago but was deliberately released today, is coming off to some, even to me, a little bit suspicious lol...it really feels like a deliberate attack to try and ruin him...the timing is just really fishy and all...then again these trash reporters and paparazzis always try to ruin someone with little consience and regard to consuquences and human being's lives ...Ugh if only it was released after MEC then people would have forgetten the hype..since that is where most of the nonsense is coming from...honestly it just needed to pass....Just like how the hype for Jang Geun Suk and Yoo In Na's MEC died and went nowhere...Maybe if it was on June or May...heck even late of April..then the response would have been so much more positive...hence my theory somebody tried to either used him as a distraction or attacked him...or maybe I was just thinking too much and it was just downright bad luck ...I spent my free day with this issu~ lol...tomorrow's back to uni...good thing there's assignment or deadlines tomorrow~lol...just lectures

I have no doubt he was being attacked or used as some sort of scapegoat. you see thats the sad thing, if it was released later people would have been happy for him. or it could have been that namoo had done its best to delay the release of the news as much as possible to not affect the ratings of MEC in view of the huge deal that they were trying to secure for Criminal minds on TVC. Either way, the timing of the release was definitely deliberate. 

poor hye bin as well, people are trash talking her on her ig. you see, this is the real reason he didn't want to reveal his relationship. the korean entertainment industry is so drama i can't even. 

• Like 17

Read the news and congrats to LJG!!! I'm glad he found somebody to share his love, cause he deserves to be happy.

I am sad we won't be seeing the next episode of MEC though :( Hopefully they will release it sometime in the future.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, chickenchopflipflop83 said:

I have no doubt he was being attacked or used as some sort of scapegoat. you see thats the sad thing, if it was released later people would have been happy for him. or it could have been that namoo had done its best to delay the release of the news as much as possible to not affect the ratings of MEC in view of the huge deal that they were trying to secure for Criminal minds on TVC. Either way, the timing of the release was definitely deliberate. 

poor hye bin as well, people are trash talking her on her ig. you see, this is the real reason he didn't want to reveal his relationship. the korean entertainment industry is so drama i can't even. 

You could see it in the pictures it is so dated..I used his weight as a basis lol...that is either late 2015 or early 2016 and they release it now?!...Man what dirty business...Ugh if only Karma could come to these corporate greedy scums sooner..

Joon Gi actually said it before that the girls always get the short end of the stick...that's why he didn't want to reveal relationships...I applaud him for that he has sense and knows how it actually goes and that he is protective...poor Hye Bin...She's so hot, lovely and beautiful it's actually a win~lol

• Like 9

7 hours ago, paldia said:

I know I am going to get some hate for this,but please try to understand my reasoning. The problem with this whole situation is not thet they are dating, it's actually a very good thing, congratulation to them! But going on a "dating" show while you have a girlfriend (a serious one!) and be all lovey-dovey with another woman is so very inconsiderate in my eyes (and I don't mean that it's inconsiderate towards his fans, but his girlfriend!)! A lot of commenters say that they feel cheated and they feel he lied to them, well I can actually understand what they mean. I mean he was going on for years with the "I'm single, alone and lonely, and I desperately need affection and love act", and it turned out he had someone for over a year (Just don't talk about your love life to your fans, don't bring that up!)! I still think he is one of the best actors I've seen, and I am going to watch his dramas because of that, but to be honest I am a bit dissapointed in his character!

The official statement said that they were dating in the latter half of 2016 so it has only been about 9 months. I am also a bit disappointed in him choosing to go on MEC if he already has a girlfriend, however, we don't know how serious it is with JHB or it could be like "you are single and I am single, let's date because we are both lonely". The news could have been better timed for sure because I still want to see the special episode of MEC.  I watch it like a short rom com drama, and treat it as such.

• Like 9

Lee Joongi needs to respond.  He should get this under control immediately by admitting they have been dating (this seems to be so important in Korea) and ask people to wish them well.    Then, move on to his next project if possible.   I hope he is able to move on from this sooner than later.  He should not be penalized for having a woman.  For god sakes, he's 35 years old.  What do people expect him to be a virgin?  

I heard too that in Korea they use celebrities as scapegoats when politicians are in trouble.  I hope that is not what is happening to Joongi right now.  I also hope he focus on Hollywood more.   We Americans don't care as much about celebrities dating.  

• Like 10

Even though am no expert on business, the media or whatever but just my humble opinion. will this affect his viability with PDs, writers etc as an actor?

Absolutely not!!!let me give an example of our lovely bunny bunny PMY.I will not talk in details about the nonsensical "controversies" about her over the years.But did all this affect her as an actress?No.Did it diminish her worth as a marketable artist or reduce her status as an A list Actress.No.The PDs over the main stations have continued to book her over and over again and award her during the annual awards..why, they know that there are some "controversies" that are not worth wasting opportunities for.Nothing PMY said, did or the people associated with her in her private life were a cause for serious concern business wise.

Let's talk about IU.She has been subjected to the worst cases of harassment, bullying, negativity etc over the years.Did that stop the PDs from casting her in Moon lovers.Answer No.Now we may have different opinions about her but my point is, PDs and writers also have the ability to draw the line when it comes to exiling people from the industry and exercise good judgement on when private life infringes on their work as industry professionals.

Spoiler

I could go on and on about the examples and include Kim Soo Hyun, Jeon Ji Hyun, Song Hye Kyo, Han Hyo Joo and others who have had alleged "controversies" arguably much more serious than dating news but did this affect their viability as actors no.

Spoiler

Ok let's talk about JG himself even though moonlovers was surrounded with negativity in Korea.what happened two months later after it wrapped up?He is being considered for a big budget drama, "criminal minds" and model for lotte.What does that tell you about the PDs and writers and advertisers. they know he is bankable.They know his skills are unrivaled and he has shown that no amount of negativity can faze his career and they know that his image as a public figure is very strong.

Look even today, instagram netizenbuzz, soompi the negative is being drowned up with positivity people sending their good will messages to him  PMY, and JHB. Not many who are true fans of PMY or IU are against this.IU camp is mostly quiet. her instagram they are talking about her music.Most PMY camp is actually happy because this means PMY's drama will now receive more attention and the shipping can stop.The real undeniable culprits of this mayhem are shippers who are blowing this out of proportion(some shippers are even pissed he is receiving overwhelming support instead of 100%backlash) and dispatch but as always I trust in JG.He will be fine.

• Like 16

Ok, I admit it. I do not understand what is going on. This is a scandal??  Is My Ear's Candy...a dating show? Is that what the upset or uproar is about? .  I haven't yet had time to watch the show so I have no clue.  I suppose I saw it just as a mini drama somewhat like the Lotte thingy or like Running Man. I had no idea people saw it as an "introduce lonely people and hook them up" kinda thing.  Is that how the public wanted to see it or how it was advertised?

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, hiluna said:

The official statement said that they were dating in the latter half of 2016 so it has only been about 9 months. I am also a bit disappointed in him choosing to go on MEC if he already has a girlfriend, however, we don't know how serious it is with JHB or it could be like "you are single and I am single, let's date because we are both lonely". The news could have been better timed for sure because I still want to see the special episode of MEC.  I watch it like a short rom com drama, and treat it as such.

Actually the official statement said early half of 2016, in short it's been one year...it means they were already dating while he was filming MLSHR..and for MEC someone already posted earlier that the producers are at fault...they heavily edited it...the show isn't a dating show...there was even a male-male partner in season 1...i also actually noticed how much it was edited but if you actually look at the whole segment they were just most of the time trying to find out who was on the other line lol...that was like 80% of their whole conversation...and in the end they even addressed each other as "FRIENDS"...this isn't titanic~lol, you can't develop love in just 3 days hahaha....

• Like 15

I also found the overreaction about his joining MEC ridiculous though I think I could very well understand why people ended up 'scolding' him because of that show. The original MEC (Season 1) wasn't intended to be a romantic show... until Jang Keun Suk turned it to be one hahaha... not in every episode, though, but I think this 'phone romance with a stranger' became one attractive factor of the show so that the PD tried to even make a more scripted episode for Season 2. The way each participant & their 'sweetheart/ Candy' is given a specific 'theme' really tends to 'lead' them to a romantic encounter just like a movie/ drama. And knowing the Korean netizen... they can be so 'upright' sometimes... they surely won't overlook Joon Gi's flirtatious behaviours while he's apparently in a relationship. Sigh. I'm like... if his girlfriend is fine with it- probably they had talked about their respective projects together just like a normal couple would do- why do we have to overly judge him?

I feel bad for him that he's been called as 'inconsiderate' or 'flirtatious' or 'not deserving bla bla *insert the name of star/ actress being shipped with him previously*. But yeah... all these are unavoidable. I hope he'll somehow manage to deal with those things wisely.

I hope this 'storm' in his private life will settle soon and he'll happily announce his next project :wub:.

I haven't read all the comments yet, and maybe it's already been mentioned but I really really feel for Park Min Young. In my opinion, LJG really behaved irresponsibly. I'm happy he is in a relationship and I like the girl he is with. Ok - he decided to go on MEC, but he should have behaved responsibly as an older oppa and kept it formal speech, instead of being flirtatious  and acting single and making misleading comments to PMY. It is just not what a good man/boyfriend does. He really needs to come out and publicly apologize to PMY for his inconsiderate actions and words. Imagine how we, the viewer/fans felt after finding out about the dating news, now imagine how PMY felt. I still think LJG is an excellent actor, but I'm disappointed in his actions and lost some respect for him. PMY deserves a better partner.

• Like 1