Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

1 minute ago, aimwanie said:

hopefully! whatever it is i know LJG know what's good and what's the best since he is the one receiving the script and meeting with the director. but still, i wont lose hope for rom-com drama for him. hee.. looking at the response from citizens, it is 50/50.

I used to want him in rom-com but after I finished watching all his dramas & movies, I feel like he is going backwards if he will do rom-com. I am sure there are other talented young actors who would do this genre and somehow help them breakthrough. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, aimwanie said:

@lyserose that's right.. adaption poorly received in korea.  some of them was quite successful  but some are not. that's including MLSHR even tho SHR is not really doing poorly. it was a big hit internationally but as we know.. JG always concerned on rating in korea. so we need something that can makes happy for his hard work. thats why i prefer fresh idea drama for him. but again.. it's all depends on him. whatever role he choose, i'm happy for him.

Exactly. My point is just taking into account of his best interest. Comparison is always the killing factor. Like someone pointed out here before, the likeliness of "Bride of Water God" in modern setting to be compared with the wildly popular "Goblin". It's just people normal tendency that is in order to elevate their preference, they will thump down the less favourable. I say, remake is just too risky and not a good career move especially after he worked so hard for a career resurgence post MLSHR.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, junejungki said:

I want him to be cast as Derek. Hotch is quiet and calm. This doesnt feel like Jun Ki at all. He's more into action, temper and dont forget hot & sexy!! 

Lee Joon Gi can do calm just like his movies   Virgin Snow esp. Fly Daddy High.

But in the Criminal Minds story 'Derek' has more depth. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lyserose said:

Please God....NO! NO! NO!

If there is a lesson that any actor in Korea should learn is NEVER EVER DO A REMAKE. MLSHR, The Time We Were Not In Love, Fated to Love You and last year's Entourage all failed miserably and not resonated with Korean audiences. 

Please Joon Gi, don't accept this offer. 

Hi lyserose, like you, I'm not really into remakes, part 2s & sequels......Because for me, original will always be the best. :blush:

• Like 7

I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread, but just wanted to weigh in with really positive vibes about the offer Lee Joon-gi is considering. A procedural? Check!!! YES!!!! Exactly what I hoped his next project would be:)

Put it on a cable channel and I think all will be well. The Good Wife was a well-received Korean conceptualization of a multi-season American hit. Let tVN handle the domestic distribution and a re-working of Criminal Minds could be very popular. Anything in the vein of Signal should do well for itself.

Yea!! I like that Lee Joon-gi received this offer and that his could-be female co-star is an experienced actress of the same age. Yea!!!! :grin:

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, lyserose said:

Exactly. My point is just taking into account of his best interest. Comparison is always the killing factor. Like someone pointed out here before, the likeliness of "Bride of Water God" in modern setting to be compared with the wildly popular "Goblin". It's just people normal tendency that is in order to elevate their preference, they will thump down the less favourable. I say, remake is just too risky and not a good career move especially after he worked so hard for a career resurgence post MLSHR.

It's marketing people should do a good job. They have to give emphasis that is not a copy and paste drama.

For me, it was the best decision on his part to have taken the MLSHR. After many years, if we watch this drama, we could say how beautiful this drama is. 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

You can't make an outright conclusion. Bottomline is, it about the quality of the material. We will just hope for high quality script. As in the acting dept, LJG & KAJ (if both confirm to do it) will deliver even beyond our expectation.

In the case of MLSHR, I believe it was just a marketing blunder. That drama was the best kdrama I've seen. Aside from the scandals involving young casts, some audience were stubborn who'd expect it to be the same as the first adaptation (cversion) & to their much dismay as it flowed differently. That drama was really good so it didn't affect its market internationally. 

We may need to agree to disagree on this. I love MLSHR and for the most part, because of Joon Gi. But I can't deny the drama is flawed in so many ways (the choppy editing, incoherent switch between scenes, off pacing, sub-par acting etc) and the reason it took so much beating is because it is a pre-produced drama with massive budget. I do understand why some just could not accept the drama when the original C-version was very much beautifully done. 

I may be wrong to be conclusive that remake is bad idea for Korean audience but the trend speaks for itself. If only 1/10 is successful, why the need to continue this trend and risk your own potential for something better? MLSHR is a success on international front but as a fan, I want and hope for his next drama to be a rating hit and successful both in his homeland and internationally. 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Silvermaine said:
This show is 100% pre-produced too. Any thoughts?

I have mixed feelings for pre-produced dramas. DotS came out fine, MLSHR was a disaster because of the different editing, but I'm waiting for Saimdang to prove me wrong.

well.. i think its good. since pre-produce drama wont have him engaged in  a tight schedule. even not that much different with live-production but i still prefer pre-production drama. since i always.. always spot his tired eyes (panda eyes) whenever he act in live-production drama. :cold_sweat: and i hate to see him like that.. 

7 minutes ago, junejungki said:

I want him to be cast as Derek. Hotch is quiet and calm. This doesnt feel like Jun Ki at all. He's more into action, temper and dont forget hot & sexy!! 

kyaaaaaaaa... LIKE SUDDENLY I WANT HIM TO ACT LIKE THAT! not much different with WANG SO then? except it is modern story anddddd.. with hot & sexy attire! 

4 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

I used to want him in rom-com but after I finished watching all his dramas & movies, I feel like he is going backwards if he will do rom-com. I am sure there are other talented young actors who would do this genre and somehow help them breakthrough. 

i kind of agree with you.. but but but.. i love seeing him being silly and funny just like in iljimae and Hero. kekeke.

4 minutes ago, lyserose said:

yup. he got a lot of expectation for his next project after making wang so phenomenal. so he need to choose wisely. i just hope his next drama will be a big hit like seriously. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LyraYoo said:

AT least SHR is an adaptation and not a remake. 

@willenette yes i read good reviews of Criminal Minds, season 2 is over right ? (Heard about it because of Daniel Henney ) --- edit oops im referring to Beyond Borders

Not a fan of remakes though. But I am open minded still if this is what JG have to choose. Also, this is one step closer for his exposure as a Hallyu Star (I need to keep this in mind) having to remake a Hollywood show. If it tops the ratings, it will create buzz to US as well.

However, I am really worrying about the team LOL.

Hi LyraYoo, no, the season 2 will end on May 16 yet. :blush:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lyserose said:

We may need to agree to disagree on this. I love MLSHR and for the most part, because of Joon Gi. But I can't deny the drama is flawed in so many ways (the choppy editing, incoherent switch between scenes, off pacing, sub-par acting etc) and the reason it took so much beating is because it is a pre-produced drama with massive budget. I do understand why some just could not accept the drama when the original C-version was very much beautifully done. 

I may be wrong to be conclusive that remake is bad idea for Korean audience but the trend speaks for itself. If only 1/10 is successful, why the need to continue this trend and risk your own potential for something better? MLSHR is a success on international front but as a fan, I want and hope for his next drama to be a rating hit and successful both in his homeland and internationally. 

Yes we have agree to disagree. But Try to watch the drama without prejudice... just watch it as its own, and you will know what I am talking about.

Bad editing? To be honest, I don't understand such critic? In what sense? Unless, you were expecting something but the scenes didn't flow as you expected them to be. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LyraYoo said:

AT least SHR is an adaptation and not a remake. 

@willenette yes i read good reviews of Criminal Minds, season 2 is over right ? (Heard about it because of Daniel Henney ) --- edit oops im referring to Beyond Borders

Not a fan of remakes though. But I am open minded still if this is what JG have to choose. Also, this is one step closer for his exposure as a Hallyu Star (I need to keep this in mind) having to remake a Hollywood show. If it tops the ratings, it will create buzz to US as well.

However, I am really worrying about the team LOL. 

@krysyuy Yes i really hope it's the OTHER dude and not him. We can still hope.

It is an adaptation according to the original reports. Soompi again, once again, reported it wrongly as 'remake'. They did the same thing to MLSHR.

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 12

So maybe Joon Gi does have something to "declare." B) Criminal Minds huh?  

Count me in as one that is not overly excited.  I live in the USA and I frankly am so tired of the criminal/cop/FBI shows.  They are a dime a dozen around here yet I will have to admit I have not watched one episode of Criminal Minds on CBS because that genre just doesn't grab me.  It's so formulaic and banal.  I'm a bit disappointed.  Could he be playing the role that was first brought about by Mandy Patinkin?  Mandy Patinkin is also an emotional actor and reading the Jason Gideon role sounds like a part that JG could tackle.  And how does Korean TV deal with violence?  It's rampant and vulgar on TV here.  

Oh how I wish it could be a remake of True Detective (Season 1) or even Dexter...if they are going to go with criminal USA remakes.  I'd even vote for a remake of Castle so at least there is some romance.  

So how is KBS as a cable channel?  And the IRIS team?  And this actress?    

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

It's marketing people should do a good job. They have to give emphasis that is not a copy and paste drama.

For me, it was the best decision on his part to have taken the MLSHR. After many years, if we watch this drama, we could say how beautiful this drama is. 

it is! i dare to say i was very glad he takes this wang so role. because the drama was beautifully done. its makes us go deeper to the story and make us totally drown into it. thats why until now i still cannot move on. 

• Like 10

well.. since in my country  also got a cable tv and my sis and me a fan of CSI, thats why for me criminal mind might be interesting as well. some might like it and some not. i just hope we can together support him as usual. 

one thing for sure.. WHATEVER ROLE HE CHOOSE, I ALWAYS FIND THE DRAMA WORTH TO WATCH. keke.

lets pray he will announce something soon. this is so his type of role. 

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, Silvermaine said:

This show is 100% pre-produced too. Any thoughts?

I have mixed feelings for pre-produced dramas. DotS came out fine, MLSHR was a disaster because of the different editing, but I'm waiting for Saimdang to prove me wrong.

I have nothing against pre-produced dramas. I personally think you just need a top-notch production team to handle everything, but since the industry is still transitioning (and used to their old format), things then get sloppy. So, here's hoping the MLSHR director stays far away (and the other IRIS director gets this) because from MLSHR bts reports, he didn't know what the hell he was doing in terms of scheduling, etc.

27 minutes ago, junejungki said:

I actually think Hotch has a lot of depth to his character - he's just more restrained. If the drama ends up doing Hotch's storyline with his wife and child (and a certain villain), LJG will certainly be stretching his acting chops. He'll knock it out of the park. However, I do agree that the Derek character gets a lot more action. Maybe the drama will kind of merge the two characters into one? lol Or they'll give Hotch more action scenes - we all know LJG loves his action plus it's what he's partially known for. They wouldn't have offered the part to him if he weren't going to be heavily involved in the action stuff. (Otherwise, what a waste of his talent.)

24 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

I disagree about him going backwards if he does rom-com. It's all about finding the right project. Rom coms can be really fun without feeling juvenile. I'd actually love to see him in something along the lines of Beating Again/Falling for Innocence - that show fell in the romance, comedy and drama categories. I thought that drama was really well done and the male lead was very nuanced. I'd just really love for him to play a funny, charming character with depth - a character close to his own personality basically, lol. But this is just a personal preference.

17 minutes ago, sublimelyheureuse said:

I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread, but just wanted to weigh in with really positive vibes about the offer Lee Joon-gi is considering. A procedural? Check!!! YES!!!! Exactly what I hoped his next project would be:)

Put it on a cable channel and I think all will be well. The Good Wife was a well-received Korean conceptualization of a multi-season American hit. Let tVN handle the domestic distribution and a re-working of Criminal Minds could be very popular. Anything in the vein of Signal should do well for itself.

Yea!! I like that Lee Joon-gi received this offer and that his could-be female co-star is an experienced actress of the same age. Yea!!!! :grin:

It actually looks like this drama will be on KBS. I don't know how to feel about this, but only because I don't know what this'll mean, lol. I'll let others weigh in on this topic.

7 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

Yes we have agree to disagree. But Try to watch the drama without prejudice... just watch it as its own, and you will know what I am talking about.

Bad editing? To be honest, I don't understand such critic? In what sense? Unless, you were expecting something but the scenes didn't flow as you expected them to be. 

MLSHR had really bad editing, particularly in the international version. It wasn't all the time, of course, but it was very noticeable to me at certain points. Part of it is definitely in the flow of scenes. Also the music choices (the rapping... ohmygod, the rapping...). But, for example, the choppy editing of the majority of SoSoo scenes in Episode 17 was horrendous in the international version. They zipped through the dinner and all their scenes in the bedroom in just a few cuts - wth? The most glaring offense, however, is definitely the zoom-in shot of Wook when he's delivering a very serious speech to So. I can't abide the editor's decision to leave that in. (Never mind what an idiot the director was for choosing to shoot it that way.) What a way to ruin an intense moment! I can't think of other specific examples right now (and I'm in no mood to re-watch lol), but I do remember thinking the editing was horrible while watching. ^^;;

• Like 15

@krysyuy How can you call drama director an idiot because his artistic style didn't suit your preference. Drama-making is an art and art does not have standard formula. 

Rapping? Have you seen other fusion saguek? That kind of music is not new to that genre.

And about the drama to be aired in KBS is no big deal. His Gunman in Joseon was aired in KBS. Actors in Korea don't work exclusively for any network. Since it's a conservative network, I think the drama would be less violent.

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

@krysyuy How can you call drama director an idiot because his artistic style didn't suit your preference. Drama-making is an art and art does not have standard formula. 

Rapping? Have you seen other fusion saguek? That kind of music is not new to that genre.

The use of a sudden zoom-in shot while characters are talking, at least in the US, is almost always used in comedic scenarios (and even nowadays, rarely). Plus that was the only instance he used it in the entire drama - it's not like his artistic style of using really tight close-up shots of his actors. I think he's an idiot for deciding to shoot it that way since it completely ruined the intense build-up of Wook's speech and what would've been a very powerful moment. This is, however, my opinion.

I can still think the rapping is a horrible choice even if it's done in other dramas. I didn't say that modern music doesn't fit - I love the use of For You and that's as modern as you can get without including rapping. Modern music doesn't detract from the drama any less. But the director/editor obviously thought the rapping was a bad choice as well after the fact since they removed the rapping in the SBS version.

• Like 10